RESTORING BINARY SIGNAL FROM LOW FREQUENCIES

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:

Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
cuttoff limit to 0.
Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

Thank you,

Yuri
0
Reply y_granik (4) 10/31/2008 4:07:30 AM

See related articles to this posting

>Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>cuttoff limit to 0.
>Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

What exactly is the binary signal?  What is the application?

Too much abstraction will delay your getting a good answer.

Emre
0
Reply eguven (123) 10/31/2008 4:34:40 AM

Ostap wrote:

> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:

> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

It depends.  Look in the paper:

Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
Technical Journal, 3, 324�346, 1924

It describes your problem very well.

-- glen

0
Reply gah (12850) 10/31/2008 4:36:38 AM

On Oct 30, 9:07=A0pm, Ostap <y_gra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>
> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}. =A0We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Yuri

Binary function is a piece-wise constant function that can have
only two values 0 or 1, say given the interval [0, 10] we define

s(x)=3D0, 0<=3Dx<2
s(x)=3D1, 2<=3Dx<7
s(x)=3D0, 7<=3Dx<=3D7.2
s(x)=3D1, 7.2<=3D10

The application is in the field of optics.

Hope this helps,

Yuri

0
Reply y_granik (4) 10/31/2008 4:42:19 AM

On Oct 31, 12:36=A0am, Glen Herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu>
wrote:
> Ostap wrote:
> > Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
> > Function s(x) is binary {0,1}. =A0We set high frequencies above some
> > cuttoff limit to 0.
> > Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
> It depends. =A0Look in the paper:
>
> Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
> Technical Journal, 3, 324=96346, 1924
>
> It describes your problem very well.
>
> -- glen

What's a good source for BSTJ ???

Thanks,

John
0
Reply sampson164 (501) 10/31/2008 6:15:01 AM

John wrote:

> On Oct 31, 12:36 am, Glen Herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>Ostap wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>>>Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>>>cuttoff limit to 0.
>>>Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

>>It depends.  Look in the paper:

>>Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
>>Technical Journal, 3, 324�346, 1924

>>It describes your problem very well.

> What's a good source for BSTJ ???

The library of a good engineering college.  Especially one around
since 1924.

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1519469&referer=brief_results

put in your zip code, state, province, or country and it will
find one near you.

-- glen

0
Reply gah (12850) 10/31/2008 6:47:26 AM

Ostap wrote:

> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>
> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?

If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
L(x).

If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
solution may not be unique.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

0
Reply antispam_bogus (2949) 10/31/2008 2:18:21 PM

>Ostap wrote:
>
>> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>>
>> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>> cuttoff limit to 0.
>> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>
>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
>L(x).
>
>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
>solution may not be unique.
>

>Vladimir Vassilevsky
>DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
>http://www.abvolt.com

Vladimir:

Is the pure "unmodulated" binary signals are considered cyclostationary? I
tend to believe that they are stationary process as I remember from my
digital communication readings! My understanding is that cyclostationary is
a feature in modulated signals due to the built in periodicity in the
carrier! Agree?

0
Reply ytachwali (18) 10/31/2008 3:48:37 PM

>Binary function is a piece-wise constant function that can have
>only two values 0 or 1, say given the interval [0, 10] we define
>
>s(x)=3D0, 0<=3Dx<2
>s(x)=3D1, 2<=3Dx<7
>s(x)=3D0, 7<=3Dx<=3D7.2
>s(x)=3D1, 7.2<=3D10

Here is my take:  if you throw away high frequencies greater than some
cutoff, you lose the sharp transitions and get a smoother signal.  So the
result should be around 0 and 1 most of the time, assuming you keep enough
of the frequency content.

By optics, are you referring to binary optical communication?  Do you have
control over the cutoff frequency, or is there some other constraint such
as channel bandwidth?

Emre
0
Reply eguven (123) 11/1/2008 1:21:46 AM

>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>
>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
>L(x).
>
>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
>solution may not be unique.

I don't see how cyclostationarity is relevant.  The OP did not say it
comes from a random process.  In fact his example is rather deterministic.

To the OP: there may be an extremely neat solution to your problem.  If
you have enough Fourier domain measurements, you can reconstruct your
signal *exactly* with an overwhelming probability, assuming the number of
jumps and/or the nonzero values in your signal is  small (i.e. sparse) with
respect to the total number of the samples.  See the below reference [1].

Hope this helps,

Emre

[1] E. J. Candès, J. Romberg and T. Tao. Robust uncertainty principles:
exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information.
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 52 489-509.

0
Reply eguven (123) 11/1/2008 1:44:42 AM

>>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>>
>>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on

>>L(x).
>>
>>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the

>>solution may not be unique.
>
>I don't see how cyclostationarity is relevant.  The OP did not say it
>comes from a random process.  In fact his example is rather
deterministic.

I understand a deterministic signal can also be cyclostationary; so never
mind that part.

Still, I don't see why exactly one needs this condition.  Does anyone have
a good explanation?

Emre
0
Reply eguven (123) 11/1/2008 2:34:36 AM

On Oct 31, 6:44=A0pm, "emre" <egu...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:
> To the OP: there may be an extremely neat solution to your problem. =A0If
> you have enough Fourier domain measurements, you can reconstruct your
> signal *exactly* with an overwhelming probability, assuming the number of
> jumps and/or the nonzero values in your signal is =A0small (i.e. sparse) =
with
> respect to the total number of the samples. =A0See the below reference [1=
].

> Hope this helps,
>
> Emre
>
> [1] E. J. Cand=E8s, J. Romberg and T. Tao. Robust uncertainty principles:
> exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information.
> IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 52 489-509.

Emre,

Perfect reference! Thank you very much. We can consider this thread to
be over.

Yuri
0
Reply y_granik (4) 11/1/2008 5:17:24 AM
comp.dsp 19828 articles. 22 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Idea of high or low frequency for digital signal
What is the meaning of high or low frequency for digital signal.( I think this is not related to sampling frequency right?) For example, we have an array and its size is 10. How can I understand whether that 10 numbers represent high or low frequency? Thanks. On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:43:58 -0700, rotor cli wrote: > What is the meaning of high or low frequency for digital signal.( I > think this is not related to sampling frequency right?) > > For example, we have an array and its size is 10. How can I understand > whether that 10 numbers represent high or low frequency? Thanks...

generation a narrow band signal in low frequencies
hello every body, i'm trying to generate a narrow band signal centered in the low frequency (around 200Hz) but it's not a noise. It likely a sine or a sum of sines. Could some one help me ? Oussema Lengliz wrote: > hello every body, > > i'm trying to generate a narrow band signal centered in the > low frequency (around 200Hz) but it's not a noise. It likely > a sine or a sum of sines. Could some one help me ? I don't understand your question... How about random noise and a bandpass filter? Or simply add a number of sines with random frequency and phas...

How to measure duty cycle of very low frequency digital signal?
Hiii, All &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I want to measure the duty cycle of the digital signal which hasminimal frequency at a time, i have tried through the express vi Timing and Transition measurments which measures the duty cycle, but it has the limitation that it is giving an error for the signal with the frequency lower than 17hz, so how should i measure the duty cycle of this signal? please suggest me something. &nbsp; Thanks in advance, Nishant Desai ...

Why am I getting very high values for the very low frequency region of a random signal?
I am tyring to produce a power spectrum graph for a Tachogram data, related to Heart Rate Variability Analysis. This data can be thought to be as a random signal, but has a frequency spectrum range of 0 - 1HZ. The problem that I am facing is, I am getting very high values for very low frequency region, closer to DC value. Even the DC value is really high, in the range 10^8. It is suppose to be a low number. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. What is your sample rate, how long is your measurement time and what window are you using? These are just few questions that would need answe...

signal with high- and low-frequency components, real-time application
Hi all, I have a signal that consists of components with higher an lower frequencies. For my application I try to keep the higher frequencies and remove the lower ones. Normally I could achieve this with a high-pass filter, but in my case, the result is not promising. Problem is, that I need the result in real-time, so for a newly read sensor value I have to obtain the *LAST* filtered value without any delay. A high-pass filter (or any filters I'm aware of), has it's weaknesses on the borders of the signal (so the first and last values of the signal are destorted through missing valu...

Can I measure Low frequency (0-100Hz) signals trough the PC...
Can I measure Low frequency (0-100Hz) signals trough the PC audio input by hardware modulation (eg 10 KHz) and software demodulation? How? Has anyone yet done this? Any help is welcome for the Hardware (AM or FM) modulation (circuitry) and for the software (AM or FM) demodulation (examples) Greetings! As I understand it, you're trying to get around the low frequency limitation of the soundcard by using some sort of voltage to frequency conversion. (An alternative to this is with a chopper, used to create a pulse-width modulated stream) Both are possible to decode qu...

FPGA CRIO LabView
I'm programming LabView 8.2/RealTime 8.2 on a CRIO-9002 equipt with a 9102 chassis. I have a some 4-20mA modules, +-10v modules and last but MOST IMPORTANTLY a 9233 +-5v module. &nbsp; I've&nbsp;programmed the FPGA and realtime and have been able to acquire and scale appropriatly for all modules except the&nbsp;9233. The 9233 is hooked up to a VibraMetrics 7002 accerlometer. (<a href="http://www.vibrametrics.com/downloads/specsheets/Model%207002.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.vibrametrics.com/downloads/specsheets/Model%207002.pdf</a>) When&...

The problem if one has low frequencies and high frequencies
I ask the people who my to help in my work very soon Steps of work: 1st stage: to generate 3 signals:x1, x2, x3 and interpolated in a vector X. 2nd stage: observed X in a window length N and plot the FFT of X 3rd stage: problem how observed X in under window of width L for example L=N/8 and in the case of overlapping (X [ L/2:3*L/2 ]). program : N=512; L=N/8; fe=3600; t=0:1/fe:0.01; x1=5*cos(2*pi*1000*t); x2=5*cos(2*pi*1000*t)+10*cos(2*pi*1500*t); x3=10*cos(2*pi*1500*t); x=[x1 x2 x3]; y=fft(x,N); problem L ???? XL=x(1 :L) ; f=(1:N)*fe/N; subplot(311);plot(x); legend('Signal x...

Signal frequency is out of range
Have a new TFT monitor. When my PC starts up I see a "no timing" window (and the motherboard logo is half off the screen) this followed by a window displaying: ---------------------------------------------- Signal frequency is out of range H37.6kHz V50.00Hz Please change timing signal --------------------------------------------- As soon as windows xp starts this disappears. And H37.6kHz V50.00Hz becomes H64.0kHz V60.0Hz If I uninstall the graphic drivers this window persists. If I resinstall the drivers then I am back where I started. Any ideas? I tried the monitor auto setup...

Separating signal energy from frequency bands of an EEG Signal
Hi, I need to extract the energy of an EEG signal within different frequency bands.I m using wavelet transform .Any body please provide me with a code. ...

Signal frequency is out of range
Have a new TFT monitor. When my PC starts up I see a "no timing" window (and the motherboard logo is half off the screen) this followed by a window displaying: ---------------------------------------------- Signal frequency is out of range H37.6kHz V50.00Hz Please change timing signal --------------------------------------------- As soon as windows xp starts this disappears. And H37.6kHz V50.00Hz becomes H64.0kHz V60.0Hz If I uninstall the graphic drivers this window persists. If I resinstall the drivers then I am back where I started. Any ideas? I tried the monitor auto setup...

frequency of a signal
Sirs, I am trying to understand how a signal would be classified as having high or low frequency components. Let me take an example to explain. assume ...

frequency of signals
In general, an input signal may have any frequency component. We can observe the frequency component (entirely or partially) even the frequency of the signal is located at a fractional value of k? may i have an explaination on why such frequencies can be seen? any help pls? ...

Restoring signal...
Hi All! I has a probe with non linear characteristic. The signal from this probe digitized with sample frequency Fs. So I has time series: Volts vs time. I also has calibration table which consist of 3 columns: Frequency in Hz, Amplitude in Physical_Unit/Volt and phase in degree. Can I restore signal in Physical_Units? For example: Fs=128 Hz Calibration table is: 0.0001 50002.50013 88.99 0.001 5000.250013 88.9 0.01 500.0250013 88.8 0.05 100.010001 88.7 0.1 50.00750113 88.569 0.12589 39.71125675 88.188 0.15849 31.54615441 87.722 0.19953 25.06264778 87.144 0.25...

restoration of signal
I have a question reguarding the restoration of a one-dimentional signal. This signal enters a system which distorts the signal. In order to restore it but maintain the shape of the signal as much as possible, what is the best approach? I thought about using a wiener filter, but cannot find a function in matlab that filters one-dimentional signals using the wiener algorithm thank you keren "adi cohen" <kerenpur@yahoo.com> wrote in message <i1hodp$inp$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > In order to restore it but maintain the shape of the signal as much as possibl...

frequency of signal
Sirs, I am trying to understand how to analyze a signal to see what type of frequency component is contains. Let me explain my question through an example. assume I have a discrete signal as follows: x[n] = [0, 2, 15, 18, 20, 12, 20, ...]; few obsevrations before: 1) the signal makes a fast rise between x[1] and x[2] 2) between x[2] and x[4], it makes steady rise 3) from x[4] it steep fall at x[5] 4) and then it make a steep rise at x[6] In the above cases, which cases would contribute to frequency component. 1) In case of x[1] and x[2] where there is a steep jump, would ...

signal frequency
Hi im really new to signal processing, im able to get signals from the sensor using winsound analog input, now i want to check the frequency range of the sensor, how do i proceed from here. i tried using fft but the plot does not respond well, i think i made some error in the programming RAJKUMAR Palaniappan: Yes, I think you probably did. By the way, what does "does not respond well" mean, exactly? ...

frequency of signal
Hi! I have a vector,signal, that oscilates between [max(v)=50,min(v)=-60]. I like to know how many times amplituide of signal reaches the threshold value, for example more that +30? Do you have any suggestion? If you have Simulink and Signal Processing Blockset, you can use "Peak Finder". Otherwise, you write some simple code. Maybe a loop like this: % 'signal' is your... signal % 'th' is the threshold; say 30, in your example % 'count' stores how many times the signal passed 'th' % 'flag' is just to count each peak only once count = 0; ...

Low signal
I am having a low signal problem somewhere is my house. The cable company cannot seem to track it down. The signal level drops so low that my TV gets fuzzy and my internet goes offline. As soon as the signal strength goes up the internet comes back on and the TV is fine. I was thinking about just adding an amplifier to my incoming cable line. What is your opinion? Thanks. Brad wrote: > I am having a low signal problem somewhere is my house. The cable company > cannot seem to track it down. The signal level drops so low that my TV > gets > fuzzy and my intern...

what's the different between a frequency shifted signal band and a normal signal?
Hi, I am facing some confusion about frequency shifting. I have sampled a random noise signal at 48K . Now I have taken 5K to 11K signal band from the main signal and shift this band at zero to 6K. I have done it multiplying the 5K to 11K band signal by 2*cos(2.pi.5000.t). After multiplying there is two band : one from 0 to 6K and another from 10K to 16K. Then using a a low pass filter I have taken the 0 to 6K band signal. Then downsampled the signal by a factor of 4 to make the sampling rate 12K . Now resultant signal seems to be smapled at 12K and it's band is 0 to 6K. (Is there an...

How can I determine and calculate the frequency components in an audio signal, its fundamental frequency and its harmonic?
Urgent!!! I have a wave file of a musical song. The info on the wave file I get so far is as below: (i)sampling frequency = 44100Hz (ii)total samples = 9179268 (iii)bits/channel = 16 (iv)no. of channels = 2 (v)wave file length = 208 seconds (vi)type of modulation = uncompressed PCM I already generate the FFT on the wave file, but I got stuck now. How can I determine and calculate how many frequency components in the audio signal, its fundamental frequency and its harmonic? and also, How to calculate/determine the frequency bandwidth of the audio signal? I am a beginner in using MATLAB 6.1....

Frequency Response VS FFT for measring frequency response of a audio ouput signal.
We have purchased the Sound and Vibration Toolkit and I have some questions. &nbsp; From the frequency response example I looked at you measure the input then the ouput and the Vi gives you the difference. &nbsp; I want to measure the audio frequency response a radio.&nbsp; So all I have is the output I dont have the audio input &nbsp;to use as a reference.&nbsp; How would I measure frequency response with the frequency rasponse&nbsp;VI with only the output audio signal? &nbsp; I was also looking at the FFT example to measure the audio signal frequency response. B...

How much are the carrier frequency higher than the baseband signal frequency for a band-limited AWGN channel?
When it comes to basic modulation method, ASK/FSK/PSK, there is a sentence in some textbooks: the carrier frequency should be far more than the baseband signal frequency. However, no one give the detail. I need to analyze the data rate upper limit of a communication system using QPSK coherent demodulation in a band-limited AWGN channel when the carrier frequency and channel bandwidth is known. Shannon-Hartley Capacity Theorem give some information, but without the carrier frequency. On Dec 19, 9:31 am, "X.Y." <Xieyu1...@gmail.com> wrote: > When it comes to basic modulatio...

Complex Wavelets: center frequency & bandwidth, designing a wavelet to extract a specific frequency range from the signal
I have a signal that I'd like to split into wavelet coefficients corresponding to specific frequency ranges. It appears that the complex wavelets (cmor shan fbsp cgau) are designed for this purpose. However, the problem I'm having is applying them to real- world signals while the code appears to assume that a signal is sampled at 1Hz. The function lets you specify the center freq Fc and bandwidt Fb (for example cmor1-2 corresponds with Fb=1Hz Fc=2Hz). Obviously there is a conversion: you can divide the Fc&Fb by the real-world sampling frequency to get a new frequency ...