RESTORING BINARY SIGNAL FROM LOW FREQUENCIES

Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:

Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
cuttoff limit to 0.
Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

Thank you,

Yuri
0
y_granik (4)
10/31/2008 4:07:30 AM
comp.dsp 20299 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8506) is leader. Post Follow

>Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>cuttoff limit to 0.
>Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

What exactly is the binary signal?  What is the application?

Too much abstraction will delay your getting a good answer.

Emre
0
eguven (123)
10/31/2008 4:34:40 AM
Ostap wrote:

> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:

> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

It depends.  Look in the paper:

Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
Technical Journal, 3, 324�346, 1924

It describes your problem very well.

-- glen

0
gah (12851)
10/31/2008 4:36:38 AM
On Oct 30, 9:07=A0pm, Ostap <y_gra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>
> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}. =A0We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Yuri

Binary function is a piece-wise constant function that can have
only two values 0 or 1, say given the interval [0, 10] we define

s(x)=3D0, 0<=3Dx<2
s(x)=3D1, 2<=3Dx<7
s(x)=3D0, 7<=3Dx<=3D7.2
s(x)=3D1, 7.2<=3D10

The application is in the field of optics.

Hope this helps,

Yuri

0
y_granik (4)
10/31/2008 4:42:19 AM
On Oct 31, 12:36=A0am, Glen Herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu>
wrote:
> Ostap wrote:
> > Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
> > Function s(x) is binary {0,1}. =A0We set high frequencies above some
> > cuttoff limit to 0.
> > Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
> It depends. =A0Look in the paper:
>
> Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
> Technical Journal, 3, 324=96346, 1924
>
> It describes your problem very well.
>
> -- glen

What's a good source for BSTJ ???

Thanks,

John
0
sampson164 (501)
10/31/2008 6:15:01 AM
John wrote:

> On Oct 31, 12:36 am, Glen Herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>Ostap wrote:
>>
>>>Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>>>Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>>>cuttoff limit to 0.
>>>Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

>>It depends.  Look in the paper:

>>Nyquist, Harry. "Certain factors affecting telegraph speed". Bell System
>>Technical Journal, 3, 324�346, 1924

>>It describes your problem very well.

> What's a good source for BSTJ ???

The library of a good engineering college.  Especially one around
since 1924.

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1519469&referer=brief_results

put in your zip code, state, province, or country and it will
find one near you.

-- glen

0
gah (12851)
10/31/2008 6:47:26 AM

Ostap wrote:

> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>
> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
> cuttoff limit to 0.
> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?

Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?

If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
L(x).

If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
solution may not be unique.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

>Ostap wrote:
>
>> Can someone points me to the methods to solve the following problem:
>>
>> Function s(x) is binary {0,1}.  We set high frequencies above some
>> cuttoff limit to 0.
>> Resulting function is L(x). How can we restore s(x) from L(x)?
>
>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>
>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
>L(x).
>
>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
>solution may not be unique.
>

>Vladimir Vassilevsky
>DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
>http://www.abvolt.com

Vladimir:

Is the pure "unmodulated" binary signals are considered cyclostationary? I
tend to believe that they are stationary process as I remember from my
digital communication readings! My understanding is that cyclostationary is
a feature in modulated signals due to the built in periodicity in the
carrier! Agree?

0
ytachwali (18)
10/31/2008 3:48:37 PM
>Binary function is a piece-wise constant function that can have
>only two values 0 or 1, say given the interval [0, 10] we define
>
>s(x)=3D0, 0<=3Dx<2
>s(x)=3D1, 2<=3Dx<7
>s(x)=3D0, 7<=3Dx<=3D7.2
>s(x)=3D1, 7.2<=3D10

Here is my take:  if you throw away high frequencies greater than some
cutoff, you lose the sharp transitions and get a smoother signal.  So the
result should be around 0 and 1 most of the time, assuming you keep enough
of the frequency content.

By optics, are you referring to binary optical communication?  Do you have
control over the cutoff frequency, or is there some other constraint such
as channel bandwidth?

Emre
0
eguven (123)
11/1/2008 1:21:46 AM
>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>
>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on
>L(x).
>
>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the
>solution may not be unique.

I don't see how cyclostationarity is relevant.  The OP did not say it
comes from a random process.  In fact his example is rather deterministic.

To the OP: there may be an extremely neat solution to your problem.  If
you have enough Fourier domain measurements, you can reconstruct your
signal *exactly* with an overwhelming probability, assuming the number of
jumps and/or the nonzero values in your signal is  small (i.e. sparse) with
respect to the total number of the samples.  See the below reference [1].

Hope this helps,

Emre

[1] E. J. Candès, J. Romberg and T. Tao. Robust uncertainty principles:
exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information.
IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 52 489-509.

0
eguven (123)
11/1/2008 1:44:42 AM
>>Is the function s(x) cyclostationary or not?
>>
>>If it is cyclostationary, then the task is the typical problem of the
>>digital communication and there are many ways for solution depending on

>>L(x).
>>
>>If s(x) is not cyclostationary, then the problem is non-trivial and the

>>solution may not be unique.
>
>I don't see how cyclostationarity is relevant.  The OP did not say it
>comes from a random process.  In fact his example is rather
deterministic.

I understand a deterministic signal can also be cyclostationary; so never
mind that part.

Still, I don't see why exactly one needs this condition.  Does anyone have
a good explanation?

Emre
0
eguven (123)
11/1/2008 2:34:36 AM
On Oct 31, 6:44=A0pm, "emre" <egu...@ece.neu.edu> wrote:
> To the OP: there may be an extremely neat solution to your problem. =A0If
> you have enough Fourier domain measurements, you can reconstruct your
> signal *exactly* with an overwhelming probability, assuming the number of
> jumps and/or the nonzero values in your signal is =A0small (i.e. sparse) =
with
> respect to the total number of the samples. =A0See the below reference [1=
].

> Hope this helps,
>
> Emre
>
> [1] E. J. Cand=E8s, J. Romberg and T. Tao. Robust uncertainty principles:
> exact signal reconstruction from highly incomplete frequency information.
> IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, 52 489-509.

Emre,

Perfect reference! Thank you very much. We can consider this thread to
be over.

Yuri
0
y_granik (4)

Idea of high or low frequency for digital signal
What is the meaning of high or low frequency for digital signal.( I think this is not related to sampling frequency right?) For example, we have an array and its size is 10. How can I understand whether that 10 numbers represent high or low frequency? Thanks. On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 13:43:58 -0700, rotor cli wrote: > What is the meaning of high or low frequency for digital signal.( I > think this is not related to sampling frequency right?) > > For example, we have an array and its size is 10. How can I understand > whether that 10 numbers represent high or low frequency? Thanks...

generation a narrow band signal in low frequencies
hello every body, i'm trying to generate a narrow band signal centered in the low frequency (around 200Hz) but it's not a noise. It likely a sine or a sum of sines. Could some one help me ? Oussema Lengliz wrote: > hello every body, > > i'm trying to generate a narrow band signal centered in the > low frequency (around 200Hz) but it's not a noise. It likely > a sine or a sum of sines. Could some one help me ? I don't understand your question... How about random noise and a bandpass filter? Or simply add a number of sines with random frequency and phas...

How to measure duty cycle of very low frequency digital signal?
Hiii, All &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I want to measure the duty cycle of the digital signal which hasminimal frequency at a time, i have tried through the express vi Timing and Transition measurments which measures the duty cycle, but it has the limitation that it is giving an error for the signal with the frequency lower than 17hz, so how should i measure the duty cycle of this signal? please suggest me something. &nbsp; Thanks in advance, Nishant Desai ...

Why am I getting very high values for the very low frequency region of a random signal?
I am tyring to produce a power spectrum graph for a Tachogram data, related to Heart Rate Variability Analysis. This data can be thought to be as a random signal, but has a frequency spectrum range of 0 - 1HZ. The problem that I am facing is, I am getting very high values for very low frequency region, closer to DC value. Even the DC value is really high, in the range 10^8. It is suppose to be a low number. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. What is your sample rate, how long is your measurement time and what window are you using? These are just few questions that would need answe...

signal with high- and low-frequency components, real-time application
Hi all, I have a signal that consists of components with higher an lower frequencies. For my application I try to keep the higher frequencies and remove the lower ones. Normally I could achieve this with a high-pass filter, but in my case, the result is not promising. Problem is, that I need the result in real-time, so for a newly read sensor value I have to obtain the *LAST* filtered value without any delay. A high-pass filter (or any filters I'm aware of), has it's weaknesses on the borders of the signal (so the first and last values of the signal are destorted through missing valu...

Can I measure Low frequency (0-100Hz) signals trough the PC...
Can I measure Low frequency (0-100Hz) signals trough the PC audio input by hardware modulation (eg 10 KHz) and software demodulation? How? Has anyone yet done this? Any help is welcome for the Hardware (AM or FM) modulation (circuitry) and for the software (AM or FM) demodulation (examples) Greetings! As I understand it, you're trying to get around the low frequency limitation of the soundcard by using some sort of voltage to frequency conversion. (An alternative to this is with a chopper, used to create a pulse-width modulated stream) Both are possible to decode qu...

FPGA CRIO LabView
I'm programming LabView 8.2/RealTime 8.2 on a CRIO-9002 equipt with a 9102 chassis. I have a some 4-20mA modules, +-10v modules and last but MOST IMPORTANTLY a 9233 +-5v module. &nbsp; I've&nbsp;programmed the FPGA and realtime and have been able to acquire and scale appropriatly for all modules except the&nbsp;9233. The 9233 is hooked up to a VibraMetrics 7002 accerlometer. (<a href="http://www.vibrametrics.com/downloads/specsheets/Model%207002.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.vibrametrics.com/downloads/specsheets/Model%207002.pdf</a>) When&...

Low-power, Low-cost DSP chip
Ok I am hunting for a low-power AND low-cost DSP. I have searched all major manufacturers (Zilog, Intel, TI, AD, and Mot) and have not yet found a suitable DSP to meet a stringent cost and power spec imposed on me. I've checked the TI 320 C6000, 5000, and 2000 series but they are just too expensive and consume too much power. The AD (blackfin, SHARC) chips appear to be no better on power consumption. What would you guys say is going to be the most accurate (preferrably 32-bit floating point) fastest DSP on that market that can manage < 10 mA average current load and cost <$20 per...

The problem if one has low frequencies and high frequencies
I ask the people who my to help in my work very soon Steps of work: 1st stage: to generate 3 signals:x1, x2, x3 and interpolated in a vector X. 2nd stage: observed X in a window length N and plot the FFT of X 3rd stage: problem how observed X in under window of width L for example L=N/8 and in the case of overlapping (X [ L/2:3*L/2 ]). program : N=512; L=N/8; fe=3600; t=0:1/fe:0.01; x1=5*cos(2*pi*1000*t); x2=5*cos(2*pi*1000*t)+10*cos(2*pi*1500*t); x3=10*cos(2*pi*1500*t); x=[x1 x2 x3]; y=fft(x,N); problem L ???? XL=x(1 :L) ; f=(1:N)*fe/N; subplot(311);plot(x); legend('Signal x...

Signal frequency is out of range
Have a new TFT monitor. When my PC starts up I see a "no timing" window (and the motherboard logo is half off the screen) this followed by a window displaying: ---------------------------------------------- Signal frequency is out of range H37.6kHz V50.00Hz Please change timing signal --------------------------------------------- As soon as windows xp starts this disappears. And H37.6kHz V50.00Hz becomes H64.0kHz V60.0Hz If I uninstall the graphic drivers this window persists. If I resinstall the drivers then I am back where I started. Any ideas? I tried the monitor auto setup...

Separating signal energy from frequency bands of an EEG Signal
Hi, I need to extract the energy of an EEG signal within different frequency bands.I m using wavelet transform .Any body please provide me with a code. ...

Signal frequency is out of range
Have a new TFT monitor. When my PC starts up I see a "no timing" window (and the motherboard logo is half off the screen) this followed by a window displaying: ---------------------------------------------- Signal frequency is out of range H37.6kHz V50.00Hz Please change timing signal --------------------------------------------- As soon as windows xp starts this disappears. And H37.6kHz V50.00Hz becomes H64.0kHz V60.0Hz If I uninstall the graphic drivers this window persists. If I resinstall the drivers then I am back where I started. Any ideas? I tried the monitor auto setup...

how to do project on dsp(subject on speech signal to digital signal)
sir, respectfully i am astudent on 6th sem, i am doing a project on dsp. i am giving a speech signal and that signal os con converted in digital signal, please give me some help. "muktikanta" <muktikanta_sa@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:ef0d4ac.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > sir, > respectfully i am astudent on 6th sem, i am doing a project on > dsp. i am giving a speech signal and that signal os con converted in > digital signal, please give me some help. With what? ...

frequency of signals
In general, an input signal may have any frequency component. We can observe the frequency component (entirely or partially) even the frequency of the signal is located at a fractional value of k? may i have an explaination on why such frequencies can be seen? any help pls? ...

Web resources about - RESTORING BINARY SIGNAL FROM LOW FREQUENCIES - comp.dsp

Television channel frequencies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following tables show the frequencies assigned to broadcast television channels in various regions of the world, along with the ITU letter ...

Sublime Frequencies: Thai Pop Spectacular (1960's-1980's) - YouTube
* This record is for purposes of dissemination and non commercial use. ................................................................................... ...

Researchers find way to increase range of wireless frequencies in smartphones
Researchers have found a new way to tune the radio frequency in smartphones and other wireless devices that promises to reduce costs and improve ...

5G networks look to new frequencies to deliver gigabit speeds
If operators are to build 5G mobile networks with download speeds at 10Gbps and above, they are going to need a lot more spectrum but getting ...

New frequencies
The start of ABC NewsRadio's new frequency rollout was officially launched by Senator Helen Coonan, the The roll out of new frequencies for ABC ...

Ottawa shooting: RCMP, House security radios on different frequencies
The radios used by RCMP officers and House of Commons security on Parliament Hill use different frequencies, possibly leading to delays in communication ...

Shortwave Frequencies in Asia
Home - Web Extra - Interactive - Radio Programs - Categories · China · World · Biz-Tech · Sports · Culture · Life - More News Center: China - ...

Nigeria: South Africa Airways to Increase Frequencies to Nigeria Despite Ebola
South African Airways (SAA), said it would increase its frequency between Lagos and Johannesburg from seven to eight services per week starting ...

Terahertz frequencies bring Japanese researchers 3Gbps in a WiFi prototype
The terahertz wireless radio is small enough to fit in portable devices. A team of researchers at the Tokyo Institute of Technology have transmitted ...

Analog TV frequencies could be used for 'super Wi-Fi', say scientists
Outdated analog TV frequencies should be used to create new space for "super Wi-Fi" that would boost the world’s economy and take the strain ...