What is the stop condition for Decoding Reed Solomon Codes with s erasures and v errors when s+2v>d using Euclid's Algorithm?

Hi,

   I am trying to simulate a RS decoder using Euclid's Algorithm. I
have one question about the stop condition.
   If there are s erasures and v errors satisfying s+2v>d, what is the
stop condition for Euclid's Algorithm.

Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day.

Dayu Huang

0
dayuhuang (4)
3/5/2006 1:28:47 PM
comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

dayuhuang@gmail.com wondered:

>    I am trying to simulate a RS decoder using Euclid's Algorithm. I
> have one question about the stop condition.
>    If there are s erasures and v errors satisfying s+2v>d, what is the
> stop condition for Euclid's Algorithm.

If the decoder *knows* that s erasures and v errors occurred where
s+2v>d-1,
then it is necessary to run the Euclidean algorithm at all!

More commonly, the decoder *does* know the value of s, but not the
value of v, and so does not know whether s+2v > d-1 or not (except, of
course, when s > d-1).  The stopping condition is no different than for

the case when s + 2v < d.  Note also when s + 2v > d-1, it is entirely
possible that the Euclidean algorithm will stop *before* the stopping
condition is met (last nonzero remainder has degree greater than the
value used in the stopping condition), or will terminate "normally"
but the polynomials that it provides will result in decoding failure
or decoding error.

Thank you.

Should I run this algorithm in the following way:

Check if s>d-1. If not, run Euclidean algorithm using the normal stop
condition.

If the Euclidean algorithm stops before the stop condition if met, a
decoder failure occurs.

The Eculidean algorithm stops normally, check the roots to see whether
they are distinct and within the frame. If not, a decoder failure
occurs.

0
dayuhuang (4)
3/6/2006 2:19:31 AM
"gary" <dayuhuang@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should I run this algorithm in the following way:
>
> Check if s>d-1. If not, run Euclidean algorithm using the normal stop
> condition.
>
> If the Euclidean algorithm stops before the stop condition if met, a
> decoder failure occurs.
>
> The Eculidean algorithm stops normally, check the roots to see whether
> they are distinct and within the frame. If not, a decoder failure
> occurs.

Yes, that's the way to run the algorithm, except that when the
Euclidean algorithm terminates normally, not only should the
roots be distinct and within the frame, but the total number of
roots should also be equal to the degree of the error-locator
polynomial.  Else, you have a decoder failure.

0
sarwate (92)
3/6/2006 5:07:43 PM
Thank you!

After running Euclid algorithm, I use Forney alogrithm to evaluate the
magnitude.
I met the following problem.
one of the Roots of Yi(x) (Errata Locator), denoted by X' will result
in:
YI'(X')=0,i.e. the derivatives of Errata Locator equals 0 when X take
the value of X'.
Is it a decoder failure?

Gary

0
dayuhuang (4)

S*S'-> make a code program of DIFF (S) for S to excute expression:S*S, ( S=vector, S'=dS/dt). ideas to all?
hello everyone, now i need a help of ideas for a program style from all to find :S*S'. here we would not be able to use directly Diff( S) cuz of error of unsame size of S & diff( S). soo i dlove to get any code PROGRAM STYLEs for function S' ( dS/dt) to Find S*S', with S: vector, for example as a begining input: t=0:10; S=2*t.^3 +3*t; Now make a code program to DEFINE S' by ALGORITHM of MATH. dear all, my question going well for understanding?? iam waiting for all. ( hey, give a trial into the world of Math of Algorithm for function & diveritative)-) ...

Prob's using Albert Kallal's SetDefaultPrinter on some OS's
I'm using Albert Kallall's code to set printers in A97. I find that on some machines, the code locks up and on others, it does not. I would like to overcome this and was wondering about the experiences of others who attempt to set default printer in A97? I have an app running on an XP home edition box fine. Same app running on XP Professional fails when SetDefaultPrinter() is called. I can post more of the code, which may be found at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/printch97.zip but I did not wish to clutter the post with too much that may distract from the question. MLH wrote: > I'm using Albert Kallall's code to set printers in A97. > I find that on some machines, the code locks up > and on others, it does not. I would like to overcome > this and was wondering about the experiences of > others who attempt to set default printer in A97? > > I have an app running on an XP home edition box > fine. Same app running on XP Professional fails > when SetDefaultPrinter() is called. > > I can post more of the code, which may be found > at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/printch97.zip > but I did not wish to clutter the post with too much > that may distract from the question. I'm using XPPro and don't have a problem. Maybe step through the code and see where it locks up on one of the machines that locks. Thanks, Salad, for the helpful comments. I had a hunch someone might s...

S u b s i d i e s****S u b v e n t i o n s
MESSAGE FRANCAIS INCLUS****FRENCH MESSAGE INCLUDED CANADA BOOKS 26 CH. BELLEVUE ST-ANNE-DES-LACS QC, CANADA J0R 1B0 (450) 224-9275 PRESS RELEASE CANADIAN SUBSIDY DIRECTORY YEAR 2003 EDITION Legal Deposit-National Library of Canada ISBN 2-922870-05-7 The new revised edition of the Canadian Subsidy Directory 2003 is now available. The new edition is the most complete and affordable reference for anyone looking for financial support. It is deemed to be the perfect tool for new or existing businesses, individual ventures, foundations and associations. This Publication contains more than 2000 direct and indirect financial subsidies, grants and loans offered by government departments and agencies, foundations, associations and organisations. In this new 2003 edition all programs are well described. The Canadian Subsidy Directory is the most comprehensive tool to start up a business, improve existent activities, set up a business plan, or obtain assistance from experts in fields such as: Industry, transport, agriculture, communications, municipal infrastructure, education, import-export, labor, construction and renovation, the service sector, hi-tech industries, research and development, joint ventures, arts, cinema, theatre, music and recording industry, the self employed, contests, and new talents. Assistance from and for foundations and associations, guidance to prepare a business plan, market surveys, computers, and much more! The Canadian Subsidy Di...

How do I stop a form's open event in if there's an error?
Hi everyone, As some of you may know, we've been having trouble with an unrecognized database format error. Today I installed an unfinished project on the workstation of one of my users. It's a query by form in which she enters the criteria of the record she wants in an unbound form, and it pulls only that record and switches to the entry form so she can enter data. I had noticed it was faster than find or filter, so I offered it to her even though the other functions and features aren't done yet. One of the things in this form is code in the Open event that opens an empty table to stabilize the links to the back end. This code has been in both my main forms, which are bound, for quite a while. When I wrote it it didn't have any error handling code, but we never had any trouble with it. My user got the UDBF error while I was away from my desk, and when I came back she also had a run-time error on the last line of the open empty table code. This had never happened before on the other forms. I tried entering error handling code, and this makes it generate a message box when it can't connect to the database instead of a run-time error. So far so good, but then it opens the form anyway. I don't want it to do that because it's confusing - I thought, "Oh, maybe it will still work" - and if I think that, my users will also. Does anyone know how I can stop the Open event and prevent it from opening the form in case of an error? I tr...

S*diff(S)->unsame matrix size=>>integral of S*diff(S)???
Hello everyone, iam really crisis with this following problem: Find integral of S*S' with t variable, (St:vector;t=0:0.001:0.5). my code program: t=0:0.001:0.5; S=2*t.^2; diff(S); S*diff(S)=>> error of dimension. if so, then HOW I CAN SOLVE THIS INTEGRAL OF S*S'. PLEASE, give me some useful advices of anyone for cares. thanks alot. ( Hey Sargon, hope to see u in here as well. thanks to u much) "Quynh Tram Nghuyen Thi" <lovelyeverything@yahoo.com.vn> wrote in message <jmged5$o8k$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello everyone, iam really crisi...

For Eliza the condition's surprised, amid me it's missing, whereas regarding you it's remaining corresponding.
from a crumpled packet marked VICTORY CIGARETTES and incautiously held it upright, whereupon the tobacco fell out on to the floor. With the next he was more successful. He went back to the living-room and sat down at a small table that stood to the left of the telescreen. From the table drawer he took out a penholder, a bottle of ink, and a thick, quarto-sized blank book with a red back and a marbled cover. For some reason the telescreen in the living-room was in an unusual position. Instead of being placed, as was normal, in the end wall, where it could command the w...

How to use a class's member function in STL's algorithm?
We know that alomost every algorithm function, such as for_each, find_if, use funcional as well as function pointer. But when I want to use another class's member function, how could I do? See example: class TestPrint { public: TestPrint( int i ) { start_num = i; } void print( int i ) { cout << endl<< "| " << i + start_num << " |" << endl; } private: int start_num; }; int main() { TestPrint* pTest = new TestPrint( 8 ); int a[10] = {0, 1, 2, 3...

1 to 20 with x number of 1's, 2's, 3's, ... 20's
This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me in the right direction. I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I cant just use A = 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one instance of each of the values. What I need is X instances for each value. For example, 5 ones, twos, threes, and so forth. Is there a simple command for this? Regards, Ulrik. On Sep 9, 10:52=A0am, "Ulrik Nash" <u...@sam.sdu.dk> wrote: > This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me i= n the right direction. > > I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I can= t just use A =3D 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one insta= nce of each of the values. What I need is X instances for each value. For e= xample, 5 ones, twos, threes, and so forth. > > Is there a simple command for this? > > Regards, > > Ulrik. x=3D5; %for example desiredlist=3Dreshape(ones(x,1)*[1:20],1,20*x) hth, suresh "Ulrik Nash" <uwn@sam.sdu.dk> wrote in message <i6aaol$pvr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me in the right direction. > > I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I cant just use A = 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one instance of each of the values. What I need is X instances for e...

Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand
I'm still new here, and I just completed reading CLTL's documentation on packages and On Lisp's documentation on CLOS. It doesn't appear that Lisp has the equivalent of Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand. That is, there is no way I can do this (without new-function being defined): (new-function) and have it call some other function like this: (missing-symbol 'new-function) whose returning value will be evaluated as the value of new-function. Or did I miss something? Jonathan Gardner <...

what's wrong with this code? it's ADI ts201s code
hi, there, the following code is the do DMA transfer and check if the dma transfer was finished or not. when I am in step by step debug mode, the code runs well. But if I run the whole code, the program will never stop, it always in the endless loop. Would anybody give me any clue for this prolem? thanks. xr0 =Source ;; xr1=0x00100040;; xr2=0x00;; xr3=0x47000000;; DCS0 =xr3:0;; yr0 = Destination;; yr1=0x00100040;; yr2=0x00;; yr3=0x47000000;; DCD0 = yr3:0;; DMA0_Finished: xr9:8=DSTAT;; xr10=0x03;; xr8=FEXT R8 by R10;; xr9=0x02;; xr8=r8-r9;; .align_code 4; if NAEQ, jump DMA0_Finished;; //other code to continure the work ...

JSP, Servlet's, EJB's, Bean's?
I am currently developing an application where I call command line programs and capture the output. This is fine. What I am doing is creating a web interface for these programs using JSP/Servlets. What I would like to do is be able to call these programs. Using buttons or something, and dumping the output into a text area. I have a servlet that I generates the output that I need. My question is How do I get that output into the textarea? When I call a new function I want to be able to append the text to the end of the text area. I was told in another group that I would need a bean to interface with the servlet. I am so confused. Any help will be very much appreciated. BTW I am using Tomcat for my Web server, JBoss for my EJB's if that makes any difference. Jeff ...

solving DAE's/ODE's using ode15s, bad condition number (preconditioning?)
I have a set of ODE's of the form: V*dC/dt = P*C + f while applying boundary conditions these become DAE's (some rows in V have to be set 0 and the corresponding row in P has to be set 0 too, except in the diagonal matrix where the value has to be 1) I guess I could avoid having to work with DAE's if I multiply the diagonal element in P with a big number (e.g. 10^9) and the coreponding value in f also with the same big number If I use the method where I get DAE's, the condition number of V = inf (but not a real problem here I think) and if I use the second method ...

Trial of Musatov's theory: double spaced 'e x p a n d s' and single spaced 'c o n t r a c t s'. Does the spacing post-processing appear equal? If so, what force was lost and where did it g
Musatov's theory 'The space between spaces expands and contracts.' Would this give time a direction? Musatov ...

It's a Bird, it's a plane, no! umm, it's Super Boid?
Hey Guys, I have something actually working that seems allot like Swarm Technology to me. The system features many smaller parts that seem allot like "Boids" (or "Agents"). I'd be tempted to call them "Dorts" because they get thrown straight at the target and fire on my machine at about 2,000 per second (in 1.9). Not very "natural" - one would not want to have mosquitoes able to do that :) There's no "in-flight" communication between the Boids - their life cycle involves trying to attain values for a list of required attributes and a docking with a "HelperClass" (see Ruleby also) for any in-depth calculations. They make their assertions, record all the results, and wait to be debriefed after they have landed. So are these things Boids or not? For example: They are fired sequentially so they are not buzzing around sending signals to each other. However, if a Boid is assigned a lower pass number it can "leave information" for a Boids fired on later passes - so there is inter_boidal_communications :) - but only after their "flight" / period of activity. It's taken me almost 3 years to get this all this far along Right now, however, I can go on localhost and author 10 new real almost guaranteed to work "Boids" easily in an hour.(When I started and did these by hand they could take a full day.) Mostly all I have to do now is make multiple choices. (Lots of Ruby ...

What's the correllation between File I/O's and Disk I/O's
Hi We have a client that is getting poor response times. But it's not consistant. One person may have no problems one day while another is having huge delays, and the next day it's vice versa. The system we have does a lot of data entry. Depending on the data entered, a validation against files is required. We've done a lot of investigation into this, and one thing that we have noticed is that the number of Disk I/O's increases much faster than the File I/O's requested. One thing noticed was they had 9 disks, and disk 1 was going to 70-80% utilisation (WRKDSKSTS), which in turn caused the other 8 disks to increase in utilisation. The iSeries is not reporting damaged objects, files or access paths. Example File I/O's Disk I/O's Action 1: 155 127 Action 2: 230 478 Action 3: 285 400 Action 4: 340 377 Action 5: 420 1220 Action 6: 480 2720 Looking at the above example Actions 1-4 look OK to us (afte review the program source for Read/Writes and updates). But Actions 5 & 6 have much more Disk I/O than we'd expect. Should there be some sort of correllation between File I/O's and Disk I/O's? What governs Disk I/O is it the OS? Is there some configuration changes we might be able to make to help alleviate the problem? TIA John two things immediate. straspbal will balance the files by usage across disks more evenly some files are mostly found on...

EA treats it's employee's worse than it's customers!
Just more reasons not to by Anything from EA http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/ http://www.igda.org/qol/open_letter.php On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:30:51 GMT, "Bill" <mrspamnobillo@nospam.bom> wrote: >Just more reasons not to by Anything from EA > >http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/ > >http://www.igda.org/qol/open_letter.php I would love to start boycotting EA because of their poor treatment of staff, but I am already boycotting them for making so many crap games they are actually damaging the industry and our art. "Bill" <mrsp...

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No-- it's WONDER
Yes, Wonder Chimpie-- strange primate from another planet!! Knows everything about IT (with the exception of a proxy server and how to kill file). All bow down when he comes around! Thank you, Wonder Chimpie, for saving us from ourselves! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This message was posted via one or more anonymous remailing services. The original sender is unknown. Any address shown in the From header is unverified. ...

Error while obtaining sizes from MEX S-function 'forward' in block 'dummy/Dynamic_Model/S-Function'. MATLAB error message:.
Hi to everybody, I created the file forward.dll using the command: mex -DWIN32 -output forward model_d.c model_s.c sdlib.c assigns.c contact.c derivs.c gmc.c impact.c inits.c invert.c lcp_solver.c lmdif_c.c mathtools.c object.c output.c pipetools.c readmuscles.c readtools.c sdfor.c spring_based.c wrapping.c gcvspl.c user_def.lib forward.lib acpp.lib qhull.lib solid.lib wrap.lib I need to run the command: set_param([subsystemname,'/','S-Function'],'function name','forward','parameters','[0],[0],[0],[0],[0],[0],[1 0 0 0 20],[0]'); ...

Dijkstra's and kruskal's algorithm
undefined ...

Working out what's possible and what's not in DSP
Hi all, So, the background to this is that it's 11 years since I finished undergrad DSP, and haven't touched it since (RF and microwave hardware is my day job). Consequently, I'm very rusty on the theory and extremely ignorant of the working practicalities of DSP. Oppenheimer and Schaeffer is on my desk, but it just gives me a headache. The scenario is very basic: a time domain waveform (sometimes infinite, sometimes less than 1 microsecond, sometimes in between) that I need to do an FFT on to find the frequency components. I know some of the boundary conditions: - The waveform only contains frequencies between 20 MHz and 60 MHz; nothing higher, nothing lower - I need to bin the FFT down to approx 1 kHz resolution - It needs to happen in real time (or very close to) My question is: is this possible? If so, what sort of parameters will I need (FFT length, memory size, clock speed, particular DSP chips to avoid/pursue)? If any of the boundary conditions change, how will that affect things? I'm sure there'll be some kind of trade-off between frequency and resolution and processing time/memory and input waveform length. I know higher frequency components need faster clocks, but what about things like the trade off between processing time and chip/memory size and power dissipation? Right now I'm not even sure what to put into Google, so any guidance is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Dave On 19 Des, 13:51, "DavidE" <enchelmaier@n...

What's postscript's basic algorithm?
Is the rendering of 'text' which originates from `pdftops` written one char at a time, or is it rendered one-row-of-pixel at a time or what? If the syntax is forth-like, does it also multilevel compose compound <views/pictures> from a set/library of primitives/glyphs? == TIA NoHtmlMailsPlease wrote: > Is the rendering of 'text' which originates from `pdftops` written > one char at a time, or is it rendered one-row-of-pixel at a time > or what? It's unspecified. Postscript specifies an image, the rendering engine can implement this as it wishes. It is likely that a screen-driving renderer, a framebuffer (e.g. laser print) driving engine, and a typesetter (driving a very high resolution output) would all work differently. BugBear On Aug 25, 4:37=A0am, "NoHtmlMailsPlease" <UsePlainT...@dog.edu> wrote: > Is the rendering of 'text' which originates from `pdftops` written > one char at a time, or is it rendered one-row-of-pixel at a time > or what? The 1st-edition manual describes two basic device-rendering modes: framebuffer device or band-device. Some of the algorithms will be different for different modes, but they all use the Weiler-Atherton clipping algorithm. A screen-based renderer may choose to use dithering instead of halftone screens. > If the syntax is forth-like, does it also multilevel compose > compound <views/pictures> from a set/library of primitives/glyphs? Mu. Syntax just...

Chaikin's and Dyn's algorithms
Hi, I have a question towards the following to problems: a) Chaikin's algorithm. The subdivision step is defined as follows. Every linear segment of the control polygon is divided as 1 : 2 : 1, and the arising points are the control points of the refined control polygon. Show that the limit curve is a C 1 -continuous, piecewise quadratic Bezier curve with all pieces parameterized over intervals of equal length. (Consider either a closed curve or a control polygon with an infinite number of control points, i.e. ignore the boundary case.) So, this is the first problem. So, the term refined "control polygon" implies that some knot insertion is going on here which gives us a refined control polygon (one with more knots than the original). The ratio for division of the linear segments (1:2:1) maybe tells us where these knots are inserted, right ? So if we had originally 6 knots we insert TWO (?) new knots between knots 1 and 2, between knots 2 and 3, between 3 and 4, between 4 and 5 and between 5 and 6, right ? We insert TWO (?) new knots on each linear segment to get the 1:2:1 ratio right. This would look like this maybe: Original: x1--------x2--------x3-------x4... Refined: x1--x1a----x1b--x2--x2a----x2b--x3--.... Where x1,x2,x3,x4 are the original knots and the x1a,x1b etc. the new knots, right ? But I do not know what to show ? C1 continuity would mean to show something with 3 knots, namely that the tangents along them are equal, right ? So, if we have ...

Sorting algorithm(s) used by PHP's sort function
Does anyone know what sorting algorithm(s) -- quicksort, mergesort, radix sort, etc. -- does PHP use internally in its sort function? "Shaunak Kashyap" <skashyap@intertechmedia.com> wrote in message news:67746bb.0307241733.63a5649f@posting.google.com... > Does anyone know what sorting algorithm(s) -- quicksort, mergesort, > radix sort, etc. -- does PHP use internally in its sort function? There's a lot of sorting algorithms used by PHP. It looks like the primary array sorting method is quicksort. I also found some use of mergesort. Looking at the source, I found this: <builddirectory>/ext/standard/array.c This sets up the "hooks" for most of the array functions for use in Zend. It looks like all of the sort methods rely on a sort_type == zend_qsort. Doing a quick search for this in the rest of the source, returns this: <builddirectory>/Zend/zend_qsort.c If you look at this file, you can see the good ol' quick sort algorithm in action. If you prefer a different algorithm, I'm sure you could replace the quicksort algorithm, recompile PHP, and whammo! If you're interested in developing extensions to PHP, the API is pretty well documented in the manual and in "Programming PHP" by Rasmus Lerdorf. I wish I had the time to tinker with PHP at this level. Take care, Zac ...

Matching a View's columns to it's underlying table's columns
Hello, Using SQL Server 2000, I'm trying to put together a query that will tell me the following information about a view: The View Name The names of the View's columns The names of the source tables used in the view The names of the columns that are used from the source tables Borrowing code from the VIEW_COLUMN_USAGE view, I've got the code below, which gives me the View Name, Source Table Name, and Source Column Name. And I can easily enough get the View columns from the syscolumns table. The problem is that I haven't figured out how to link a source column name to a view column name. Any help would be appreciated. Gary select v_obj.name as ViewName, t_obj.name as SourceTable, t_col.name as SourceColumn from sysobjects t_obj, sysobjects v_obj, sysdepends dep, syscolumns t_col where v_obj.xtype = 'V' and dep.id = v_obj.id and dep.depid = t_obj.id and t_obj.id = t_col.id and dep.depnumber = t_col.colid order by v_obj.name, t_obj.name, t_col.name garyderousse@yahoo.com (Gary DeRousse) wrote in message news:<9ce1cc62.0311051041.2dd0f428@posting.google.com>... > Hello, > > Using SQL Server 2000, I'm trying to put together a query that will > tell me the following information about a view: > The View Name > The names of the View's columns > The names of the source tables used in the view > The names of the columns that are used from the source tables >...

Web resources about - What is the stop condition for Decoding Reed Solomon Codes with s erasures and v errors when s+2v>d using Euclid's Algorithm? - comp.dsp