windowing DFT vs FFT (newbie)

Hello,

I wrote a program in Java that does a DFT on raw 8bit samples stored in
memory from a RF ADC (Post processing). This allows me to easily adjust the
span (zoom) when I'm viewing the spectrum. Works great, but slow as hell. So
I'm now trying an FFT with a Chirp Z-Transform so I can zoom in on the
desired frequency and look for subtle modulation characteristics. I borrowed
this code from the net (see below) and seems to work as expected. The
spectrum looks like my DFT spectrum without any windowing applied. So I then
tried to window (Hamming) my data before applying the CZT to reduce the
tails on my recovered carrier, however this only smoothes the tails out and
does not reduce there apparent power like my DFT Hamming window does. Am I
doing something fundamentally wrong? How do I reduce/remove the tails from
my spectrum when I do the CZT? Here is the site where I borrowed the code:
http://www.nauticom.net/www/jdtaft/JavaCZT.htm

0
kholmes (2)
8/28/2003 8:44:43 PM
comp.dsp 20113 articles. 25 followers. allnor (8507) is leader. Post Follow

Newbie: use ComboList with description & ID
I'm Newbie of Filemaker Pro 11, I became from MS Access. I'm trying to create a combo box connected to a table. (product form with categories field) I want to use the ID in the categories table joined with the correspective IDCategories in the Product table. In a Form I create a comboList that use the table of the categories, but I can view always only the ID of the categories and not the description. Can i have (like in Access) one filed in a form joined with the ID but displaying the description of the field? Thanks for any suggestion Best regards Nick On a Mac it works fine with a...

pass an object to a new window
On IE there is a way to open a window from one page and pass an object to it, when you use showModalDialog. Is there a way to do the same on NS/Mozilla/FireFox? On IE: window.showModalDialog(URL, FreeArgument, Ornaments); FreeArgument. You can use this optional parameter to pass a value of any type to the open dialog box. You can pass a scalar, a string, an array of values, an object, etc. You access this value in the new window by referring to the dialogArguments property of the new window object. Thanks In article <75467213.0502161408.325465ce@posting.google.com>, mitch.tzonev@sr...

Calling data windows from data windows?
Hi to all! Please, let me clear out some basic things about calling windows: - a DataWindow, named BrowseDates i have a button with a method for calling a DataDialog, named AddingAccounts, which looks like: METHOD DNewAccountButton() CLASS BrowseDates LOCAL oAddingAccounts AS AddingAccounts oAddingAccounts := AddingAccounts{} oAddingAccounts:Setup(SELF:Server:TableDate) oAddingAccounts:Show() SELF:Owner:AddChildWindow( oAddingAccounts ) RETURN SELF - This far, everything is ok, and a new windows shows up. But, on a dataDialog I have a button for calling another dataWindow, c...

partial expect for windows
I understand that the main problem with new versions os expect for windows is with the spawn command. Has anyone got working code (eg tcl source) that implmements expect in newer tcl versions on windows WITHOUT spawn (ie using an already open channel, such as a serial port)? thanks ...

Newbie questions regarding CPU design.
Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to make a CPU and I have a few questions regarding that. I am doing this because I want to make industrial robots (CNC machines to be exact), and they will obviously need some method to control them. Although I first considered making dumb circuts to do this, I eventually settled on the computer aproach. I am also trying to make a new CPU out of thin air instead of taking an existing one because I know very little about the internal designs and constrains of existing CPUs and that will give me big problems when interfacing and ite...

=?windows-1252?Q?www=2Eelectronics=2Dmac=2Dsony=2Ecom_Toshiba_Satellite_A215=2D?= =?windows-1252?Q?S6804_15=2E4=22_Laptop_=28AMD_Turion_64_X_2_Dual_Core_TL=2D60_Process?= =?windows-1252?Q?or=2C_
http://www.electronics-mac-sony.com Contact us : 7*24 hour On-line service: MSN/Email:electronics-2008-china@hotmail.com Our website:http://www.electronics-mac-sony.com/goods.php?id=3D712 Product Features and Technical Details Product Features * Bright 15.4-inch LCD stylishly accented with an onyx blue metallic LCD cover and integrated Webcam * 2.0 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 processor, 250 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM (4 GB max), dual-layer DVD writer with LabelFlash printing * 54g Atheros Wi-Fi (802.11b/g); 10/100 Ethernet; ATI Radeon X1200 graphics card with up to 319 MB of shared m...

Windows XP and Singlelineedits with background
VO 2806 (and also VO 2.5 with XP-Additions) When the XP-Style is enabled and I am using singlelineedits with a background the border is not displayed correctly. When hovering with the mouse over the control the sle is displayed correctly or when disabling/controle the control after setting the background. Does some has an idea what to change apart from calling disable/enable after setting the background? Arne Ortlinghaus ACS Data Systems 2806! Is this the long awaited 30 April release?????? Sorry but can you please retype your message? I am not completely sure ...

Mobile Me / Windows Live
I am not a Windows type of guy and have always hated Hotmail but things seem to be changing with Windows Live: - POP3 access on free account - Nnlimited email storage - Sky Drive with 25 gig of storage free Seems to be something of a threat to Mobile Me. I wonder how apple will respond? In article <0001HW.C5C02DCE0002520CB01AD9AF@europe.newsdemon.com>, Skipper <mail@xxx.co.uk> wrote: > I am not a Windows type of guy and have always hated Hotmail but things seem > to be changing with Windows Live: > - POP3 access on free account > - Nnlimited email storage > -...

window-handlers on windows
hi (this is my first post to this ng; so if it is the wrong ng, please direct me to the one i need...) my problem not necessarily bound to C++ (but could also be C), but since my application is in C++, i post it here. i want to draw from application A into a window that has been created by an application B (in my case: i want to render an openGL-scene into a a browser-window) under linux i can get a handle of type "Window" from the Xserver, into which i can draw (assumed that i have permissions) under windows the only such handle i have found is HWND, which is a pointer to a ...

Showing all tooltips in a window
It would be a nice affect for beginners or demos that the tooltips of all controls in a window are displayed (or maybe one after another). Is there a possibility to do this? Arne Ortlinghaus ACS Data Systems Arne, Actually no, I don't think so. Tool tips are invariably too short and controls too close together for something like this. And it would be seen as a gimmick and most would want to turn it off very quickly. I think the best thing to do is produce a well documented (including image shots with annotations) help manual and link it in solidly to your windo...

Windows 2000 over Windows ME install?
Greetings, I have a computer which has Windows ME currently installed on it. I have a license of Windows 2000 sitting around doing nothing, and I'd like to install the Win2k over ontop of the WinME. Will I have to wipe out the WinME completely and start from scratch on the Win2k install, or can I safely install the Win2k over the top of WinME? Thanks in advance, -Geoff I think Win2k can be upgraded only from WinNT. You will have to do a clean install. Geoff Cashman wrote: > > Greetings, > > I have a computer which has Windows ME currently instal...

Remote printing OS to Windows interface
Hi, I've just installed a remote printer in OS507 - the printer is on a Windows box, and unix can lp to it OK. There doesn't seem to be an interface file in /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces for this printer. Is it somewhere different or do we get no control over the print job this way? Relevant info - I had to uninstall cups before installing remote printing, and I haven't reinstalled. I've never used cups before - will it help? - I use a simple tailored interface file which among other things sends some pcl to the laser to change the font. thanks in advance -Rob robat...

=?windows-1252?Q?Special_Track_=93Computational_Bioimaging_and_Visual?= =?windows-1252?Q?ization=94_within_the_ISVC08_USA_=2D_Announce_=26_Call_for_Papers?=
----------------------------------------------------------------------------= ------------------------------------------------------------- (Apologies for cross-posting) Special Track =93Computational Bioimaging and Visualization=94 International Symposium on Visual Computing (ISVC08) Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, December 1-3, 2008 http://www.isvc.net We would appreciate if you could distribute this information by your colleagues and co-workers. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------= ------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Colle...

3dmax like paned windows
Does anyone know how to create pure tcl paned-widown like 3d Max which has a handle allows you to grid the 4 windows at one instance. In panedWindow you can either seperate vertical or horizontal. 3d Max however allows you to scale the window in both direction at the same time. If not one available, can anyone layout what kind of knowledge I NEED to know in order to create one. Thanks, Alex tak wrote: > Does anyone know how to create pure tcl paned-widown like 3d Max which > has a handle allows you to grid the 4 windows at one instance. > > In panedWindow you can either seper...

=?windows-1256?B?2sfM4SDk5NTRIMrdx9Xt4SDH4craz+3hIMfh5g==?= =?windows-1256?B?0sfR7SDH4czP7c8gx+HQ7SDT7crjIMfhx9rhx+Qg2uQ=?= =?windows-1256?B?yQ==?=
2sfM4SDk5NTRIMrdx9Xt4SDH4craz+3hIMfh5tLH0e0gx+HMz+3PIMfh0O0g0+3K4yDH4cfa4cfk INrkyQoKaHR0cDovL25hdGlndGFzN2FiLmJsb2dzcG90LmNvbS8yMDEzLzA0L2Jsb2ctcG9zdF83 NDM1Lmh0bWw= ...

Root Window & Windows within Windows
Even (on 98) if you replace the shell explorer.exe you are left with the root window. Explorer.exe does a good job of adding content to the root window. It places icons on your desktop and gives you a task bar. The only ability I am aware of that programmers have to add content to the root window (aside from replacing explorer.exe), is with Active Desktop. I feel that active desktop should be a program we can write ourselves. We should be able to write our own programs that are drawn directly to the root window, just like active desktop windows are. Even when you replace ...

Setting the window size
Dear All, How do I set the size of the window that is showing the database forms? can't find any helps on it. John Fox On Apr 19, 6:33 am, John Fox <altab...@bham.ac.uk> wrote: > Dear All, > > How do I set the size of the window that is showing the database forms? > > can't find any helps on it. > > John Fox Are you talking about at design time? All you have to do is make sure the window is not maximized so you can view its normal size, then click and drag the edges of the window to resize. If you save the form after changing the size, this will stic...

Overplot cgplots in graphics window
Hello, I have several data sets of trajectories that I want to plot together in on= e graphics window. I am able to rerun the code and have it overplot in the = display window but I'm not able to save that. I've tried creating a resizab= le graphics window but because the cgplots commands are in a loop, IDL cont= inually displays new graphics windows and then crashes. Is there a way that= I can rerun my code with a new data set each time and overplot on the same= map and then save the graphic without having to just copy and paste my cod= e 3x in the same program? I've i...

Filer like windows
I intend to write a program that can keep a number of images and draw files in memory at the same time. The user should be able to access every file individually. What I plan to do is a window that contains every available file like in a filer window. I would also like to have the option to show large icons/small icons/full info and maybe later even a thumbnail of the images. May question is: Is there something like a toolbox module which makes it easy to achieve a filer like display or do I have to go the long way and implement everything by myself? If there is something I can use, it shou...

perl2exe on Windows and BrowseEntery: not running
By adding and removing modules, I finally narrowed this down to Tk::BrowseEntery. For the first time in a while, I couldnt find the answer in Google. Any help will be appreciated. perl2exe compiles the script (http://www.ie.u-ryukyu.ac.jp/~kono/lecture/software/s07/demos/widtrib/browseentry2.pl) fine but then when I try to run the .exe, I get this: couldn't read bitmap file "": No such file or directoryerror reading bitmap fil "" at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/Tk/Widget.pm line 205. at PERL2EXE_STORAGE/Tk/Widget.pm line 203 This exe file was created with the evalu...

IE shows site directory after onclick window.open
Is this how it's done? IE 6.0 after opening bigger.html in a new page, then shows the site directory contens in the main window. ?! The popup page bigger.html shows a larger pic of a product. In my main page I define a function 'open_popup' and call it for all the product images, in case the customer wants a bigger pictures. function open_popup(page) { window.open(page,'Larger_Image','width=400,height=300,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,statusbar=no,scrollbars=no'); } <body> <a href="" onclick="return open_popup('bigger.html')"> ...

anybody send me a copy of "netpbm-10.6-1-bin.zip" on GNUWIN32 for my windows system?
Dear all, I want to install Latex2html, but today the "netpbm-10.6-1-bin.zip" could not be download from sourceforge website. I don't know why... I tried many times but failed. Without that file the Latex2html does not install. Can anybody send me a copy of that file? Thanks a lot, -Walala > I want to install Latex2html, but today the "netpbm-10.6-1-bin.zip" could > not be download from sourceforge website. I don't know why... I tried many > times but failed. Try to use http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32/netpbm-10.6-bin.zip?download inst...

How to alter Aeskulap for Windows
I'm using Aeskulap's for windows version 0.2.1. It currently uses Patient Root information model when Querying. I'd like to change it to use Study Root to overcome a compatibility issues I'm encountering with an SCP. I've tried going though the source code but have been unsuccessful finding where to go to adjust this value. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. ...

MATLAB windowing
I have maximized my main window and i want the user to cannot move it! How can i do that?! Thanks ...

Tater Tot blames users for Windows 7 problems
Tater Tot was stupid enough to say:: > I guess the "discount" meant they had to remove a way to make sure you > got the right OS version... Nobody blamed the students. It was noted they were confused but nothing in the article says this was their weakness. On Nov 8, 12:00=A0am, Anne Onime <anonym...@rip.ax.lt> wrote: > Tater Tot was stupid enough to say:: > > > I guess the "discount" meant they had to remove a way to make sure you > > got the right OS version... > > Nobody blamed the students. So why are Reuters, C...