windowing DFT vs FFT (newbie)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,

I wrote a program in Java that does a DFT on raw 8bit samples stored in
memory from a RF ADC (Post processing). This allows me to easily adjust the
span (zoom) when I'm viewing the spectrum. Works great, but slow as hell. So
I'm now trying an FFT with a Chirp Z-Transform so I can zoom in on the
desired frequency and look for subtle modulation characteristics. I borrowed
this code from the net (see below) and seems to work as expected. The
spectrum looks like my DFT spectrum without any windowing applied. So I then
tried to window (Hamming) my data before applying the CZT to reduce the
tails on my recovered carrier, however this only smoothes the tails out and
does not reduce there apparent power like my DFT Hamming window does. Am I
doing something fundamentally wrong? How do I reduce/remove the tails from
my spectrum when I do the CZT? Here is the site where I borrowed the code:
http://www.nauticom.net/www/jdtaft/JavaCZT.htm

0
Reply kholmes (2) 8/28/2003 8:44:43 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.dsp 19856 articles. 23 followers. Post

Newbie asks: VB.NET vs RB? Apple vs Windows?
Hi all: Ok everyone - please help me out here!! We are about to embark on a major S/W development and are wrestling with which tools to use (RB, VB.NET), along with which platform to use (Apple, Windows). Note that we want to use these tools with a MySQL database as the backend. Also, we have no legacy applications or code to worry about (we are starting afresh - yeah!). What do you suggest? Does RB lack any tools that VB.NET has? Thanks. JB In article <25ame0d1bmbnh46um456pduret13n6upl6@4ax.com>, <joe@bigblue.com> wrote: > What do you suggest? Does R...

FFT and windowing for a newbie
Hi there, Just a quick question from a DSP beginner here. I'm doing a college project on basic speech recognition, and I have some questions. I am told to use a 256 point FFT with a hanning window and 50% overlapping. This then produces a number of FFT windows right? (for example, in a 512 sample sound file I will have 3 windows). Then I have to perform an FFT on them. I then need to apply a Dynamic Time Warping Algorithm (Sakoe&Chiba) to them. my problem is how do i turn my 3 feature vectors into 1? do i simply average them? or sum them? or have i missed something very important. do i...

[newbie] ACL 6.2 Windows vs. Linux AGAIN
hello all I am new to ACL, so accept my apologies if what I'm going to say is trivial. Under LINUX, I have generated a stand-alone executable out of an ACL 6.2 project by means of the following bit of code (thanks Kevin Layer of Franz for his suggestions): ------------------------------------------------------------------- (proclaim '(optimize (speed 3) (safety 3) (space 3) (debug 3))) (compile-file "structs.cl") (compile-file "input.cl") (compile-file "common.cl") (compile-file "preprocess.cl") (compile-file "experiments.cl") (co...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

this.window.focus() vs. window.focus() vs. this.focus()
Hi, I am confused about the differences between this.window.focus(), window.focus(), and this.focus(). I want to use the calls in a <body onload="..."> tag. What are the differences between these forms that may make one succeed and another fail? In particular, this.window.focus() fails in Opera 9.10 with an "object not found", and windows.focus() succeeds in Opera 9.10, Firefox 2.02, and IE 7. Roger On Mar 8, 3:32 pm, Roger <crosseyedpeng...@cox.net> wrote: > Hi, > > I am confused about the differences between this.window.focus(), > window...

Postmessage vs. SendKeys, to Top-Level IE Window vs. Inner "Internet Explorer_Server" Window
>From Excel VBA, I'm manipulating an intranet web site with mouseclicks and keystrokes. Works fine, but now I'm trying to get it to work in the background so that the user can keep working on other tasks while it's running. With VBA's Sendkeys, it worked fine to navigate to the edit box where I wanted to send the keystrokes, and then send keystrokes. The only window handle I needed was for the the top-level Internet Explorer window, so I could make sure it was the active window. With Postmessage (and Sendmessage), that doesn't work. Instead I have to send t...

Window.open vs window.showmodelessdialog
Plase tell me what is the difference between window.open and window.showmodelessdialog. Can we use window.showmodelessdialog in place of window.open? sathyanrockie@gmail.com a �crit : > Plase tell me what is the difference between window.open and > window.showmodelessdialog. > Can we use window.showmodelessdialog in place of window.open? showmodelessdialog is exclusively known by Internet Explorer and probably only with Windows ... :-( http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp doesn't seem to replace window.open() or, more exactly...

DFT ,Signal porcessing,fft,dft
I am trying to write DFT code in form of X(f) = sum(k=1,N){ x(k) * exp(-2*pi*j*t(k)*f) }*deltat where deltat=t(n+1)-t(n-1)/2, how can i write this..... f=-(n/2-1:n/2-1) for k=1:n X(f) = sum(k=1,N){ x(k) * exp(-2*pi*j*t(k)*f) }*deltat end Now here is the problem let t=[1 2 3 [] 4 5 6 [] 9 10 [] []] where [] denotes the missing samples..size of t is 1 by 8 how i can create deltat for all 8 positions....i am doing a reinmann sum method for calculating frequency spectra for irregular spaced samples Thanks I think i need to draft my question in proper way i am trying to write DFT in foll...

Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYeKcsC7cg -- HPT ...

Windows vs. Linux vs. Mac
With regard to all this Linux sucks, Windows rocks static: Up here at our weekend place, I have a DSL connection. It's a masqueraded dhcp router, but it only has one network port, and I forgot to bring a little switch, so my wife and I had to share - I'd unplug my Mac iBook and plug in her Windows XP and back and forth.. The Mac has no problem with that. While unplugged, it only complains if I forget and click on something that requires the Internet. Plug the cable back in and it instantly works again. My wife, on the other hand, has to go to Control Panel and "Repair" ...

window.open, Linux vs. Windows
I'm a complete Javascript n00b, using a snippet I found on the web. I'll probably be buying a Javascript book. What's the authoritative on-line resource for Javascript, like php.net is for PHP? I'm a relative PHP n00b. This code works fine on Opera & Mozilla under Linux, but fails for both Netscape & IE under Windows: <script language="JavaScript"> <!-- function smallWindow(URL, X, Y, Title) { var win = window.open(URL, Title, 'width='+X+',height='+Y+',resizable=1,scrollbars=1'); } // --> </script> <for...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

Windows 7 vs. Windows 8
8 is faster and will do more than 7, and works the same as 7 on a desktop. It absolutely makes Lion or whatever, look sick. Terminally ill, actually. On a touchpad, it blows the iPad out of the water. Does more faster. A lot more, a lot faster. On 2/24/13 4:36 PM, Rollo wrote: > 8 is faster and will do more than 7, and works the same as 7 on a > desktop. > It absolutely makes Lion or whatever, look sick. Terminally ill, > actually. > > On a touchpad, it blows the iPad out of the water. Does more faster. > A lot more, a lot faster. > > ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro? tf Greetings -- No. Bruce Chambers -- Help us help you: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message news:bgt3er$vm6$1@news.lublin.pl... > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I have created a visual basic program that creates an activeX component. I used the package and deployment wizard and created the internet package cab file with no problems. When upload the cab file to my clients server, they can view the created .htm page perfectly with internet explorer on WindowsXP but when they try and view the .htm file on a windows2000 machine all they get is a small white box. The ActiveX control button never loads? Any ideas? I am about to go the other way. I developed a component in windows 2000 and we're going to upgrade to XP. Does anyone know where ...

Quick poll: Cache poison vs site problems vs BIND bug vs Windows neg caching
Howdy all, we're running 9.5.0-P2 (fairly recent) on two servers that are recursive DNS sources for a medium sized college. This week, we had more than a few users complaining about craigslist.org and www.chase.com not resolving, and sure enough when I checked with dig one of Craigslist's NS servers was not working right (sending SERVFAIL replies). An "rndc flush" did not seem to get things working again immediately, so I stopped and restarted named. I don't know what was up with Chase, I didn't hear about that problem with that until after I fixed it. I ...

mouseClicked vs. mousePressed on Apple vs. Windows
I'm writing a Swing component which must function similarly on Apple and Windows; and am having trouble with which event to fire off of (this is effectively a toggle button which would ideally just be interested in mouseClicked). For a variety of other reasons, I don't want to make my code act on the mousePressed event. Originally, our QA person asserted that it was busted because she was clicking (and moving the mouse > 10 pixels) and it wasn't getting "toggled" (this was on Windows). I won the battle there by saying "don't move it 10 pixels; that's a dr...

Newbie: Quadtrees vs. StretchBlt() vs. JBIG
I know the subject line sounds silly, since how can one compare apples to pears to oranges? :) I am ashamed to admit that despite programming for quite a few years (including 2D bitmapping), I learned about quadtrees only recently. When I was first introduced to quadtrees, I was eager to start using them to improve the performance (space and/or time) of some of my existing programs which do intensive 2D bi-level bitmap processing and displaying huge bitmaps (e.g. 32Kx32K), utilizing StretchBlt() to scale them down to screen size when "zoomed out". But before commiting the time to ...

Mac OS vs. Windows vs. Linux
I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en by In article <74603a0c-5c6b-41df-9feb-e95bb5ae8244@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>, yuzgen <yuzgen@gmail.com> wrote: > I reviewed these three operating systems for six types of computer > users individually. Ubuntu is the winner for most user groups: > http://yuzgen.com/?p=156&lang=en From that article: Mac OS for girls: Please don’t get me wrong. This was the best single word to define naive...

Newbie questions: := vs = and set vs noset
Hi, I'm using VBA, I hope these questions apply to regular VB as well... I haven't had the easiest time googling for information on the following questions because of the symbols and short number of characters involved. If there are terms that I'd have good luck finding the answers to these questions with, please post those so I can use them in future searches. What is the difference in := and = ? and Why is Set sometimes needed before setting a variable equal to something? Thanks, Dave > What is the difference in := and = ? > I've never seen :=, but in VBS...

Occitan vs French, Linux vs Windows.
NPR's /All Things Considered/ recently had an article on the Occitan language (formerly spoken in southern France) and attempts to revive it. Evidently, reggae and folk music figure into these attempts, but here's the interesting bit for COLA. "Jali says the difference between Occitan and French are like between Linux and Windows. 'One is forced on you and one is free.'" The quote occurs about 8:15 into the Real media file. Darn shame that the quote seems to get the order wrong and imply that Linux (and Occitan) are forced on you. Still, I find it very interesti...

Open Source vs. Mac vs. Windows
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/4364 Interesting look/comparison that is on the O'Reilly site. -- Jim Polaski "The measure of a man is what he will do knowing he will get nothing in return." ...

VPN: Windows vs. hardware vs. ISP
Hi, Newbie VPN question: I've set up Windows PPTP and L2 VPNs between my office server and home computer. I see ads from ISPs for VPN and also routers with VPN. I do not understand what these are or why I would want one, particularly the ISP VPN. If someone could point me to an FAQ or post an explanation I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Peter ...