How do I get rid of the '~' char in 'filename.ext~' in VIM

Very annoying. I don't think these are swap files.  What are these
anyway
and how do I get rid of them.  Thanks.
0
matt8500
3/26/2009 5:32:50 AM
comp.editors 4871 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Mar 26, 5:32=A0am, matt8...@gmail.com wrote:
> Very annoying. I don't think these are swap files. =A0What are these
> anyway
> and how do I get rid of them. =A0Thanks.

Matt
These are temporary files that are left behind when vim or your system
crashes. They are used for by vim recovery mechanism.

You have to decide whether you want to delete them

--
zzapper
Best of VimTips
On Mar 26, 5:32=A0am, matt8...@gmail.com wrote:
> Very annoying. I don't think these are swap files. =A0What are these
> anyway
> and how do I get rid of them. =A0Thanks.

In answer to your question, you can disable them completely with ":set
nobackup", but might be wiser to just have Vim place them in a
different directory instead. See the following:

:h 'backup'
:h 'backupdir'
0
John
3/26/2009 10:29:49 AM
2009-03-26, 01:39(-07), zzapper:
> On Mar 26, 5:32�am, matt8...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Very annoying. I don't think these are swap files. �What are these
>> anyway
>> and how do I get rid of them. �Thanks.
>
> Matt
> These are temporary files that are left behind when vim or your system
> crashes. They are used for by vim recovery mechanism.
[...]

No, you must be confusing with the .filename.swp files. ~ files
are backups, only there if you've enabled backups. I like to
have backups but I don't like those files hanging around
everywhere so I use a dedicated backup directory for that (see
:h 'bdir' and :h backup)

--
St�phane
0