Now that VIM 8 is out, what can it do?

I've installed VIM 8 on at least one of my machines.  I've read (briefly)
some of the release notes and stuff, and my general impression is that it
is on its way to becoming more of an operating system than just an editor.

A path emacs has gone down long ago...

But, the thing is, I wasn't able to make much sense out of it.
It seems to have a whole bunch of new features, but no real tangible
examplese of what the features are and how they would be used.

Can someone here enlighten me?

--
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the
computer, a Rolls-Royce today would cost $100, get a million miles to

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> I've installed VIM 8 on at least one of my machines.  I've read (briefly)
> some of the release notes and stuff, and my general impression is that it
> is on its way to becoming more of an operating system than just an editor.
>
> A path emacs has gone down long ago...

That is my impression also, I think this started with
VIM 7.  I had to spend many hours changing my ~/.vimrc
to disable a lot of default settings VIM 7 enabled that
I hated.  I fear the same may occur with ver 8.

> But, the thing is, I wasn't able to make much sense out of it.
> It seems to have a whole bunch of new features, but no real tangible
> examplese of what the features are and how they would be used.
>
> Can someone here enlighten me?

Wish I could :)

John

0
John
12/21/2016 1:56:42 AM
John McCue <jmccue@jmcnet2.bstnma.east.verizon.net> writes:

> Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>> I've installed VIM 8 on at least one of my machines.  I've read (briefly)
>> some of the release notes and stuff, and my general impression is that it
>> is on its way to becoming more of an operating system than just an editor.
>>
>> A path emacs has gone down long ago...
>
> That is my impression also, I think this started with
> VIM 7.  I had to spend many hours changing my ~/.vimrc
> to disable a lot of default settings VIM 7 enabled that
> I hated.  I fear the same may occur with ver 8.

If you used a recent version of Vim 7, it's essentially the same as Vim 8.

If you have a .vimrc, everything should stay the same.  If you don't,
you'll have (IMO weird) new defaults, which can be disabled site-wide
using

# cat /etc/vimrc.local
let g:skip_defaults_vim = 1

>> But, the thing is, I wasn't able to make much sense out of it.
>> It seems to have a whole bunch of new features, but no real tangible
>> examplese of what the features are and how they would be used.
>>
>> Can someone here enlighten me?
>
> Wish I could :)

My favorite new feature is that you don't need a "plugin manager" or
anything, you can simply extract plugins into subdirectories of
~/.vim/pack/my/start/ and it will load them properly automatically.

Vim 8 has new features for plugin authors, but for users there's not
so much new IMO.

Enjoy,
--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org