how to disable graphics?

When accessing an XEmacs (21.4.15) instance remotely via gnuclient I generally
operate over a slowish link (the reverse direction of a cable modem).  It would
be nice to easily disable image display in this situation.  (I'm looking for
a simple command or menu item, as opposed to a more permanent change to
~/.xemacs/init.el.)

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
skip@pobox.com
0
skip
11/17/2004 4:37:29 PM
comp.emacs.xemacs 2750 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

A few days ago I wrote:

> When accessing an XEmacs (21.4.15) instance remotely via gnuclient I generally
> operate over a slowish link (the reverse direction of a cable modem).  It would
> be nice to easily disable image display in this situation.

Not having figured anything out nor having heard anything so far I figured I'd
try again.  Is there some simple (interactive, non-permanent) way to
disable display of images within XEmacs?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
skip@pobox.com
0
skip
11/22/2004 7:52:56 PM
skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:

>> When accessing an XEmacs (21.4.15) instance remotely via gnuclient
>> I generally operate over a slowish link (the reverse direction of a
>> cable modem).  It would be nice to easily disable image display in
>> this situation.
>
> Not having figured anything out nor having heard anything so far I
> figured I'd try again.  Is there some simple (interactive,
> non-permanent) way to disable display of images within XEmacs?

I for one don't really understand your question. What images are you
speaking about? The (lightweight) pics in the toolbar? Or are you
speaking about gnus or w3 or what? When I had to use a slowish
connection I would lock in with ssh and start XEmacs with the -nw
option (which might not even be necessary). To use gnuclient in that
way is - as I understand the documentation - not possible.

Andreas Goesele

--
Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.

Emacs, XEmacs, and Aqua Emacs Oh my.
Hi, I just trying to get bu head around using Emacs with Lisp. One specific question is to do C-M-x the keys should be Esc-control-x right. Any insight would be useful Thanks -Tony ...

Emacs or Xemacs
Hi, I have been a "vi" user for a long time and think that it is time to shift to a new more powerful editor but I am confused about emacs and xemacs. Can somebody please tell me the pros and cons of emacs vs xemacs (or point me to a post/website that has it). My needs for an editor are generally limited to getting the most frequetly used editing commands working conviniently (create a shortcut for them using key-bindings), be able to work simple stuff on the file system (opening files from other dirs., able to view the files in same/other dirs/deleting/copying fi...

graphic card disabled
I can't play the Ultimate Civil war battles, it just won't start. I looked in devise manager and my Intel 82815 graphic controller isn't enabled. Could this be stopping me? ...

emacs + windows + graphics
Hello! On my WinXP computer there are emacs+slime+clisp (or sometimes sbcl, but it crashes sometimes). I want to have an access to graphics subsystem to draw some graphs and etc. Unfortunately, the only suitable solution I found was CL-SDL that worked on my Ubuntu system (emacs+slime+clisp or sbcl). But I spend a lot of time on WinXP computer, so I wanted to have the same solution on it. Can anyone help me to find out how to set it up on WinXP or, maybe, just to recommend some different solution? Thank you. P.S. Yes, I searched through this newsgroup. I found here that solution that works o...

moving from XEmacs to Emacs
I have been happy with XEmacs for many years, but I want to try Ensime (an IDE for Scala), and it only works with Emacs. I am having a few problems getting started with Emacs. My custom .emacs file does not seem to work in Emacs. For example, I have these key mappings: (global-set-key [f1] 'find-file) (global-set-key [f2] 'save-buffer) (global-set-key [f3] 'revert-buffer) (global-set-key [f4] 'buffer-menu) (global-set-key [(meta f1)] 'view-file) (global-set-key [(meta f2)] 'save-all-buffers) (global-set-key [(meta f3)] 'kill-current-buffer) (global-set-key [(meta...

Safari
Does anyone happen to know how to disable animated gifs, and also any graphics at all in Safari? I've looked through the preferences and the help without locating any option to do this. (I'd like to do this because I have limited bandwidth and also monthly download limits.) My preferences would be to be able to switch these on and off again with a keyboard shortcut or mouse click when I encounter a web page where I need graphics. Or do I have to move to Opera to get these facilities? Thanks. Eric Lindsay <NOSPAMjune2004@ericlindsay.com> writes: > Does anyone happe...

disabling graphical debugger?
Anyone know how to disable the graphical debugger in r2011a ? I'm using an= external editor on linux (gvim) which opens when I edit files, but when I = debug using dbstop/dbstep/etc the Matlab editor/debugger still opens. It t= hen steals the focus from my terminal window and I end up accidentally modi= fying an M-file I'm already editing elsewhere. Plus I'd rather use the com= mand line debug commands. I tried setting "matlab*graphicalDebugger: Off" in .Xdefaults, but it didn'= t work and that suggestion is about 10 years old. I looked in the Matlab d= ...

Difference between emacs and xemacs
Hi I am trying to use a package under both emacs and xemacs and whilst the ..el file compiles under emacs and seems to work under xemacs I get the message (1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading ~\.emacs: No such coding system: iso-latin-1 The offending line in my .el file is: (defvar xle-buffer-process-coding-system 'iso-latin-1 "Default coding system for sending text to XLE process.") Just wondering what code sets are available with xemacs. Using 21.1.9 under Windows XP TIA Paul paul.johnston@manchester.ac.uk wrote: > Hi > I am t...

learn emacs or xemacs ?
Hi I'm new to emacs and xemacs. I don't know which one i should learn. can someone tell me briely the advantages of each. thank you Joseph <karloj@bigpond.com> writes: > I'm new to emacs and xemacs. I don't know which one i should learn. > can someone tell me briely the advantages of each. The flame wars are entirely different. Seriously, XEmacs tends to be faster, and has a more unified look across different operating systems. Emacs tends to have better integration into the various desktops it is available for, however. For getting a full-featured versio...

differences between Emacs and Xemacs
Hi, I currently use emacs for my daily use. I've also been interested in using Xemacs. Apart from the basic behavior which imho is the same, are there many differences between the two editors? One I currently know is Xemacs support for truetype fonts. Actually if this can be said in a couple of words. I don't want to begin a hard discussion about pros and cons of emacs and xemacs. Thanks. Jacques Jacques <jacques.abada@arcanthea.com> writes: > Hi, > > I currently use emacs for my daily use. I've also been interested in > using Xemacs. A...

dbx with emacs / xemacs
I cannot see my source code either in the same window or a seperate window !! I would also like the cursor at the current executing line ...

Is xemacs the inferiour Emacs?
Hi there, I was on my way to become a faithfull mineon of elisp and Xemacs. But nowadays one trips over comments like "works well with emacs, for xemacs see for yourself..." much too often. I dont want to give references now. Also there seems to be an active community for emacs�. Is this just my impression? Where are all the xemacs people? Are there similar sites dedicated to xemacs - similar to the two mentioned below? matthias � www.dotemacs.de or www.emacswiki.org "Matthias Pfeifer" <pfemat@web.de> writes: > I was on my way to become a fa...

xemacs graphical tutorial
Hello I would like to learn how to use xemacs and I find it allot easier to read a tutorial with screenshots for quick learning. is there such a thing and where. thanks >>>>> "Sam" == Sam <samj@austarmetro.com.au> writes: Sam> Hello I would like to learn how to use xemacs and I find it Sam> allot easier to read a tutorial with screenshots for quick Sam> learning. is there such a thing and where. The traditional (X)Emacs tutorial is a "live" editing session with special navigating commands. What you see really ...

emacs/xemacs + xft
Are there versions/patches of/for emacs/xemacs that support xft/antialised fonts/true type fonts undex X11? After some googling I found this page http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~neubauer/xft-xemacs/ but it looks quite old. Thanks for any hint. MF -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Replay-to address is fake. Please replace it with mferecat (at) numericable (dot) fr. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

Web resources about - how to disable graphics? - comp.emacs.xemacs

Wikipedia:Graphic Lab/Photography workshop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the requests page for the photography workshop. Anyone can make a request for a photograph to be improved for a Wikipedia article. The standard ...

NVIDIA’s Partners Roll-Out GeForce GT 710 to Fight Integrated Graphics
... years essentially destroyed the market of inexpensive discrete video cards . High-performance iGPUs can outperform low-end standalone graphics ...

Graphics cards with 1024GB/s bandwidth? Samsung begins HBM2 production
... to 256 gigabytes-per-second (GB/sec) of available bandwidth per memory stack—double that of the first generation HBM used in AMD's Fury graphics ...

US defense budget graphic - Business Insider Deutschland
The US spends almost three times as much on defense as the next-highest spender.

Graphic Novel ‘The Time Museum’ Latest Broad Green Deal
EXCLUSIVE : Broad Green has acquired the graphic novel series The Time Museum for Josephson Entertainment’s Barry Josephson and Liz Bassin to ...

China-based Colorful to launch graphics cards in overseas markets
China-based Colorful, currently the largest graphics card vendor in the China market with shipments of over four million units for a market share ...

Samsung is building chips for next-gen gaming graphics
Samsung likes being the first kid on the block with new memory products, and has done it again with a type of DRAM. The so-called HBM2 modules ...

John Oliver Shares Last Week Tonight's Best Unseen Graphics Group Group
​Of course, ​Paul Giamatti is&nbsp;dressed as a mango​.​ Graphics departments are the unsung heroes of a good news program. When the show is ...

JEDEC certifies GDDR5X — will AMD, Nvidia tap it for next-gen graphics after all?
The memory standard consortium JEDEC has released an official standard for GDDR5X. The new memory is based on existing GDDR5 and doubles memory ...

Startup Spotlight: BeFunky makes online photo editing and graphic design simple
Today, almost everyone has a smartphone — which means almost everyone is an amateur photographer. But that wasn’t the case in 2007, when Portland ...