X window problem

Recently I upgraded my system from RH 7.3 to RH Enterprise Linux 3.
I use XEmacs-21.5-b18, but want to upgrade to newest 21.5.23.
Unfortunally XEmacs doesn't see my X window. "configure" says:
[...]
checking for specified window system
checking for X... no
[...]
and after installation XEmacs start only on TTY.

I supposed this is beta problem, so I've checked a stable version
(21.4.17) but the problem is the same. However I still can use
previously installed (on RH 7.3) old version 21.5.18 *within* X window system.

How "configure" [wrongly]recognized that I don't have X?

TIA,
jimmij
--
I come from the Land Of Imagination
0

Hi jimmij,

"jimmij" == jimmij  <jimmij@jj.jj> writes:

    jimmij> Recently I upgraded my system from RH 7.3 to RH Enterprise
    jimmij> Linux 3.

Good to know and a big clue...

    jimmij> I use XEmacs-21.5-b18, but want to upgrade to newest 21.5.23.
    jimmij> Unfortunally XEmacs doesn't see my X window. "configure"
    jimmij> says:
    jimmij> [...]
    jimmij> checking for specified window system checking for X... no

This means the X header files are not found.

[...]

    jimmij> How "configure" [wrongly]recognized that I don't have X?

My guess is that you did not install the X development rpms (and the
upgrade program removed the old ones because it was from an older
version).

Hope this helps.

--
Nelson Ferreira