Sending mail doesn't work

I would like to switch to Gnus for my email needs, but sending mail
doesn't seem to work. I get the messages in the mail group, and
'r'eply bring up the mail sending buffer. I can edit the mail
normally, and pressing C-c C-c makes the mail buffer go away, kinda
like succesfull send would do. However, the mail is apparently not
sent out. How should I start debugging the thing? The computer is
running rh8.0 and GNU emacs 21.2.1, and I'm not root on the machine.

I use Pine normally, and there appears to be no smtp server
configured, so I guess it uses 'sendmail' or something to send mail.

--
Ville Vainio   http://www.students.tut.fi/~vainio24
0

Ville Vainio <ville.spammehardvainio@spamtut.fi> writes:

> I would like to switch to Gnus for my email needs, but sending mail
> doesn't seem to work. I get the messages in the mail group, and

> I use Pine normally, and there appears to be no smtp server
> configured, so I guess it uses 'sendmail' or something to send mail.

You can configure emacs to use smtp - look through the customization
for mail, and there'll be a Sendmail group with the Send Mail Function
- choose smtpmail-send-it. Then in the Smtpmail group specify your
smtp server.

Good luck

--
Real email address? Rule 1.
0
Ville Vainio <ville.spammehardvainio@spamtut.fi> writes:

> I would like to switch to Gnus for my email needs, but sending mail
> doesn't seem to work. I get the messages in the mail group, and
> 'r'eply bring up the mail sending buffer. I can edit the mail
> normally, and pressing C-c C-c makes the mail buffer go away, kinda
> like succesfull send would do. However, the mail is apparently not
> sent out. How should I start debugging the thing? The computer is
> running rh8.0 and GNU emacs 21.2.1, and I'm not root on the machine.

assuming you have

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

etc. in your .gnus, try adding:

(setq smtpmail-debug-info 1) ; debugging

lg,
        tom
0
Thomas
11/28/2003 8:20:04 AM
Thomas Haselberger <thaselberger@gmx.net> writes:

> assuming you have
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> etc. in your .gnus, try adding:
>
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info 1) ; debugging

I did this, and nothing much seemed to change.

Apparently, the mail I send w/ M-x mail works, it's just the Gnus
interface that doesn't work.

Additionally, there happens to be a problem with email address. Do I
have to use the same mail address I use in news in my personal emails?
I would prefer not to have spam protection in my personal emails. This
obviously applies only if I can get the damn thing working...

As far as alternatives to gnus goes, VM doesn't appear to be installed
and mh-?mail complains about the lack of 'inc', 'mhl' and 'components'
commands.