Split screen

I have a feeling I have asked this before but must
plead old man's memory, and promise to note it down
this time:

I installed emacs on a new PC, and it consistently gives
me a split screen, the lower half being an offer to walk
me though an introduction to emacs. I don't see any way
to get rid of that lower screen.

The same thing happens if I type in something wrong, and
get a lower screen with complaints. I can drag the top one
down but not completely.

What is the command to get rid of such a screen and, for
the new emacs installation, how can I set emacs to not
assume I need a walk-through?

--
Dieter Britz
0

On 24.11.2016 15:26, Dieter Britz wrote:
> I installed emacs on a new PC, and it consistently gives
> me a split screen,
>
> What is the command to get rid of such a screen and, for
> the new emacs installation,

To get rid of the other window(s) (the one(s) you are not working in
right now), try typing   C-x 1

Julius
0
Julius
11/24/2016 2:53:52 PM
On 2016-11-24, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed emacs on a new PC, and it consistently gives
> me a split screen, the lower half being an offer to walk
> me though an introduction to emacs. I don't see any way
> to get rid of that lower screen.

As has been said, C-x 1  is the command to get rid of other screens.

To avoid getting the split screen at startup, there should be a button
to click somewhere in the help screen. This depends on the version; in the
version I have, there's a "Customize Startup" link, which takes you to
a menu page with Inhibit Startup Screen in it.
0
Julian
11/24/2016 3:31:37 PM
On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 15:31:37 +0000, Julian Bradfield wrote:

> On 2016-11-24, Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I installed emacs on a new PC, and it consistently gives me a split
>> screen, the lower half being an offer to walk me though an introduction
>> to emacs. I don't see any way to get rid of that lower screen.
>
> As has been said, C-x 1  is the command to get rid of other screens.
>
> To avoid getting the split screen at startup, there should be a button
> to click somewhere in the help screen. This depends on the version; in
> the version I have, there's a "Customize Startup" link, which takes you
> to a menu page with Inhibit Startup Screen in it.

Thank you both! This is now put into my Tips & Tricks folder,
so I won't ask again.

--
Dieter Britz
0