parallel port support

I'd like to be able to run some FPGA development software under Wine.  The
software in question communicates through the parallel port to the FPGA
board and passes information back and forth to/from the board.

I'm told that this software does not work under Wine due to the driver
used to do the communication through the parallel port (apparently it's
part of the Windows kernel).  However, I have heard of people getting
scanners to work under Wine, so it would seem to be possible.

Is there a way that this software is written that would make it impossible
to get it to work under Wine?

Phil

0
ptkwt
6/30/2004 9:57:26 PM
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine 4950 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Phil Tomson <ptkwt@aracnet.com> wrote:
: I'd like to be able to run some FPGA development software under Wine.  The
: software in question communicates through the parallel port to the FPGA
: board and passes information back and forth to/from the board.

: I'm told that this software does not work under Wine due to the driver
: used to do the communication through the parallel port (apparently it's
: part of the Windows kernel).  However, I have heard of people getting
: scanners to work under Wine, so it would seem to be possible.

: Is there a way that this software is written that would make it impossible
: to get it to work under Wine?

Wine can use code, that mimics a public know interface to appear to the
windows application like the windows driver, but does the real hardware
access in the Unix way. However if a windows software used a windows kernel
driver, with an unknown interface, it's hard to come up with that code.

And even for the know interfaces, that code is often still to be written.

However a lot has already been done for the serial and the parallel port,
CDROM/DVD, a little for floppies and more...

For a more general approach, the concept of ndiswrapper could also be
extended...

Bye

Uwe