Porting Windows app to Linux: How to access Linux devices?

I have the task of porting a Windows application to Linux. Since the
build environment (Borland C++ Builder) is highly windows-centric,
Wine is my only option short of a major rewrite. I will have no
problems with the regular GUI stuff, however, I need to access special
hardware devices (unsupported by Wine) on the Linux system via ioctl
and network sockets.

My question: How can I find a way "around" Wine, accessing resources
on the host running Wine? Are there special include files and service
DLLs available in Wine for this?

Thanks,
Chris
0
Chris
11/2/2008 9:20:56 PM
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine 4950 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Nov 2, 4:20=A0pm, Chris L <christopherl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My question: How can I find a way "around" Wine, accessing resources
> on the host running Wine? Are there special include files and service
> DLLs available in Wine for this?

I'm not a dev so all I can suggest is to search the mailing list
archives and check out winelib:
http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/winelib-guide/index
0
jhansonxi
11/3/2008 5:23:35 PM
On Nov 2, 1:20=A0pm, Chris L <christopherl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the task of porting a Windows application to Linux. Since the
> build environment (Borland C++ Builder) is highly windows-centric,
> Wine is my only option short of a major rewrite. I will have no
> problems with the regular GUI stuff, however, I need to access special
> hardware devices (unsupported by Wine) on the Linux system via ioctl
> and network sockets.
>
> My question: How can I find a way "around" Wine, accessing resources
> on the host running Wine? Are there special include files and service
> DLLs available in Wine for this?

Hi Chris!
There are several ways to go.  You can write winelib
DLLs and load them into your application if they exist;
that lets you use the same source for the main app
on both Windows and Linux, and push all the secret
sauce into a platform DLL.

One particular trick that we used on Picasa was to
convert from DOS paths to Unix paths just before
display.  This only touched a few places in the UI,
it wasn't too hard.  There is now a device manager
IOCTL you can use to do this in standard Wine, let
me know if you need more info.

Don't hesitate to write me (dank@kegel.com) if you
have any questions.   You might also try the wine-devel
mailing list if you get stuck, people read it more often
than the newsgroup these days.
- Dan
0
DanKegel