Why won't app recognise printer?

Hi,

I'm using wine-20030219 on Debian Linux 3.0 (woody) with
CUPS printing which is set up as follows:

lpadmin -p tofile -E -v socket://localhost:12000 -m raw
lpadmin -p tofile -P wine-20030219/documentation/samples/generic.ppd

(I don't actually have a printer on my machine.  But a
process listens on port 12000 and captures everything to a
file so I can print it elsewhere.)

When I try printing in Notepad, it does print.  (It's not
particularly good - wrong paper size etc - but it does
print.)  By default the combo box in the print dialogue is
blank, but clicking on it reveals 'tofile' as an option and
then clicking OK will produce output.

However, when I try printing from my library's CD-ROM (which
is what I want to run with Wine), I find that its "Print"
and "Print setup" options are greyed out, and I can't figure
out why.

Apparently the library program made some kind of check for a
printer, and decided that there wasn't one so greyed out the
options.  This probably means there's something I haven't
done in the setup.  Does anyone have an idea what I should
check?  I've been through all the FAQs and Web pages and
spent many hours trying things with no success.

Many thanks,        Silas

PS: Below is my ~/.wine/config.

If it's not possible to print then I'd like to be able to
copy/paste into a text editor or wordprocessor.  I've tried
launcing the CD-ROM as a sub-process of Programmers' File
Editor, but I can't get copy/paste to work between the
applications; I think it hasn't been implemented yet (or am
I wrong?)

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/home/ssb22/c"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "MS-DOS"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive F]
"Path" = "/cdrom"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CDROM"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive E]
"Path" = "/tmp"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "Tmp Drive"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[wine]
"Windows" = "c:\\windows"
"System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
"Temp" = "e:\\"
"Path" = "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;e:\\;e:\\test;f:\\"
"Profile" = "c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
"GraphicsDriver" = "x11drv"
"ShellLinker" = "wineshelllink"

[Version]
[DllOverrides]
"oleaut32"     = "builtin, native"
"ole32"        = "builtin, native"
"commdlg"      = "builtin, native"
"comdlg32"     = "builtin, native"
"shell"        = "builtin, native"
"shell32"      = "builtin, native"
"shfolder"     = "builtin, native"
"shlwapi"      = "builtin, native"
"shdocvw"      = "builtin, native"
"advapi32"     = "builtin, native"
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin"
"mciavi.drv"   = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv"  = "native, builtin"
"*" = "builtin, native"

[x11drv]
"AllocSystemColors" = "100"
"PrivateColorMap" = "N"
"PerfectGraphics" = "N"
"Managed" = "Y"
"UseDGA" = "Y"
"UseXShm" = "Y"
"UseXVidMode" = "Y"
"UseTakeFocus" = "Y"
"DXGrab" = "N"
"DesktopDoubleBuffered" = "N"
"TextCP" = "0"

[fonts]
"Resolution" = "96"
"Default" = "-adobe-helvetica-"
"DefaultFixed" = "fixed"
"DefaultSerif" = "-adobe-times-"
"DefaultSansSerif" = "-adobe-helvetica-"

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"Com3" = "/dev/ttyS2"
"Com4" = "/dev/modem"

[parallelports]
"Lpt1" = "/dev/lp0"

[spooler]
"FILE:" = "tmp.ps"
"LPT1:" = "|lpr"
"LPT2:" = "|gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fred -q -"
"LPT3:" = "/dev/lp3"

[registry]
"LoadGlobalRegistryFiles" = "Y"
"LoadHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
"LoadWindowsRegistryFiles" = "Y"
"WritetoHomeRegistryFiles" = "Y"
"SaveOnlyUpdatedKeys" = "Y"

[Tweak.Layout]

"WineLook" = "Win95"

[Clipboard]
"ClearAllSelections" = "0"
"PersistentSelection" = "1"

[afmdirs]
"1" = "/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts"
"2" = "/usr/share/a2ps/afm"
"3" = "/usr/share/enscript"
"4" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"

[WinMM]
"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"

[AppDefaults\\_INS5576._MP\\x11drv]
"Desktop" = "640x480"

[AppDefaults\\_INS5176._MP\\x11drv]
"Desktop" = "640x480"

[AppDefaults\\_INS0466._MP\\x11drv]
"Desktop" = "640x480"

Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22
Replace nospam with ssb22 to reply by email

"The rationality of our universe is best suggested by the fact that we
can discover more about it from any starting point, as if it were a
fabric that will unravel from any thread" - George Zebrowski, 1994
0
nospam
7/15/2003 9:10:27 AM
comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine 4950 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Duane Clark <junkmail@junkmail.com> writes:
> Wine has to be compiled with support for CUPS printing.

Yes I have compiled it with support for CUPS printing
(that's why it works when I print from Notepad).  If it's
any help, I've put my config.log at
http://access.ucam.org/nobackup/config.log

Thanks,       Silas

--
Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22
Replace nospam with ssb22 to reply by email

"He couldn't just say 'I've made a mistake'; he'd say 'I'll add something
else, and then it won't BE a mistake.'" - Rupert Gould in "Longitude"
0
nospam
7/16/2003 5:40:00 AM
Thanks Duane, it worked!

Silas

--
Silas S Brown, St John's College Cambridge UK http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~ssb22
Replace nospam with ssb22 to reply by email

"They get caught by the ideas that they have thought up" - Psalm 10:2
0
nospam