"Old Fashioned" Roman Font with Ligatures?

Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:

ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)

I am willing to pay value for value.  Thanks very much for any
assistance.

--
Paul Bartlett
0

On 6/27/2011 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former)

There's no reason to prefer TTF to OTF unless you're using som
application that doesn't recognize anything but TTF because it does its
own font rendering, such as some embroidery software.

OTF fonts are much more likely to contain extenstive ligatures.

> for Windows word processing programs

If you mean Microsoft/IBM/OpenOffice, then you may find that in some
cases the ligatures will be in the fonts, but they will not be accessible!

More recent applications such as Office 2010 have increased capability,
but still not up to the level of other Windows programs such as Adobe
InDesign, which can make full use of OpenType features, including both
automatic and discretionary ligatures.

> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:

> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)

Almost all fonts have the �, �, �, and � ligatures as well as ff and fi.
Even the one you're probably using to view this message.

> I am willing to pay value for value. Thanks very much for any
> assistance.

InDesign would be a big help.

Now for some fonts.

Adobe's Pro versions of fonts like Jenson have ffi ffl fl ft and st.
Most CAN be accessed with MS Word, but you have to use Charmap to bring
them in. A very few have ct as well.

Some older fonts have separate font files with names that include "Alt"
or "Extras" or even "Ligatures" where you can get the additional
characters. Awkward but do-able.

Most of the major font vendors' websites will give you an option to view
all of the glyphs included in each font. Myfonts, Adobe, etc. etc.

  - Character

0
Char8044 (73)
6/28/2011 12:39:34 AM
On 6/27/11 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>
> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>
> I am willing to pay value for value.  Thanks very much for any
> assistance.

AE, ae, OE, and oe are available from many fonts as symbols.  I see them
in Arial, Book Antiqua, Century Gothic, Georgia, Times New Roman, and
even in OCR-A and Shelley Andante.

The others, I have not seen at all.  They might be obtained by
appropriate kerning.  It seems that, with Word, you might get the fl
ligature by kerning.  The fi and ff almost look like a ligature that
way, but magnifying the screen shows a small space.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
� 1997 by David E. Ross
0
nobody3 (289)
6/28/2011 12:44:54 AM
Times New Roman has fi and fl at FB01 and FB02, as well as at F001 and F002
(no ff, however). Arial also has these, as do Book Antiqua, Century Gothic,
Georgia, and others. Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Constantia, and Corbel,
though deficient in some other useful characters, do have both of these as
well as ff (FB00) and ffi and ffl (FB03 and FB04).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On 6/27/11 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
>> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
>> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
>> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>>
>> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>>
>> I am willing to pay value for value.  Thanks very much for any
>> assistance.
>>

> AE, ae, OE, and oe are available from many fonts as symbols.  I see them
> in Arial, Book Antiqua, Century Gothic, Georgia, Times New Roman, and
> even in OCR-A and Shelley Andante.
>
> The others, I have not seen at all.  They might be obtained by
> appropriate kerning.  It seems that, with Word, you might get the fl
> ligature by kerning.  The fi and ff almost look like a ligature that
> way, but magnifying the screen shows a small space.
>
> --
>
> David E. Ross
> <http://www.rossde.com/>.
>
> Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
> bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
> � 1997 by David E. Ross

0
sbarnhill (13)
6/28/2011 2:37:31 AM
On 6/27/2011 5:44 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 6/27/11 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
>> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
>> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
>> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>>
>> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>>
>> I am willing to pay value for value.  Thanks very much for any
>> assistance.
>>

> AE, ae, OE, and oe are available from many fonts as symbols.  I see them
> in Arial, Book Antiqua, Century Gothic, Georgia, Times New Roman, and
> even in OCR-A and Shelley Andante.
>
> The others, I have not seen at all.  They might be obtained by
> appropriate kerning.  It seems that, with Word, you might get the fl
> ligature by kerning.  The fi and ff almost look like a ligature that
> way, but magnifying the screen shows a small space.

David -

  Except for the ct and st, the others are all quite common and have
standard unicode values. They can not be created ad hoc with kerning or
letterspacing, any more than an ampersand can be created by pushing
a-n-d or e-t together or, similarly, a german double ess.

Using a ligature such as the ff ligature in an application like MS word
is easy to do, but it will confuse the spell-checker when it's looking
for two separate f's! Open type aware applications (including
MSWord2010, I think) know how to handle the situation.

ct and st are hard to find; here are a couple of examples:
   http://typophile.com/files/ct_6160.gif
   http://cdn.ilovetypography.com/img/discretionary-ligature.gif

- Character

0
Char8044 (73)
6/28/2011 3:12:44 AM
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)

Even Microsoft Word lets you view the glyphs in a font.
Look at code positions U+FB00 to U+FB06 in the fonts you already have.

=C6 =E6 =8C =9C  are contained in virtually every font.

--=20
I used to believe in reincarnation in a former life.
0
prilop4321 (50)
6/28/2011 4:04:55 PM
I have received several helpful and kind responses to my original post,
and as an unsophisticated user, I appreciate every one of them. Rather
than trying to respond to all of them individually, I will respond to
this one as having several matters at hand. But I do appreciate all the
others, believe me.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Character wrote:

> On 6/27/2011 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
>> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
>> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former)
>
> There's no reason to prefer TTF to OTF unless you're using som application
> that doesn't recognize anything but TTF because it does its own font
> rendering, such as some embroidery software.

I have no particular reason to prefer TTF to OTF *except* for the
simple reason that as an unsophisticated user I am more familiar with
the former than with the latter.  What applications can handle the one
over the other I cannot say.  (I really *am* an unsophisticated user,
and I am grateful for the forbearance of the experts here.)

> OTF fonts are much more likely to contain extenstive ligatures.
>
>> for Windows word processing programs
>
> If you mean Microsoft/IBM/OpenOffice, then you may find that in some cases
> the ligatures will be in the fonts, but they will not be accessible!

Actually, I am thinking in terms of OpenOffice.org Writer, as I have
that on my home system (but not MS Word).  Usually I use a very simple
WP called MicroVision WordExpress 2.0, but as simple as it is, it may
not be able to handle characters in the "upper" (so to speak) Unicode
ranges (including the private user area).  Hence OO Writer.

> More recent applications such as Office 2010 have increased capability, but
> still not up to the level of other Windows programs such as Adobe InDesign,
> which can make full use of OpenType features, including both automatic and
> discretionary ligatures.

>> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>
>> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>
> Almost all fonts have the �, �, �, and � ligatures as well as ff and fi. Even
> the one you're probably using to view this message.

Yes, that is so (thank you; in the way that I read this NG, I usually
use Courier New), but I was listing several that I am looking for for
completeness.

>> I am willing to pay value for value. Thanks very much for any
>> assistance.
>
> InDesign would be a big help.

Thank you.

> Now for some fonts.
>
> Adobe's Pro versions of fonts like Jenson have ffi ffl fl ft and st. Most CAN
> be accessed with MS Word, but you have to use Charmap to bring them in. A
> very few have ct as well.
>
> Some older fonts have separate font files with names that include "Alt" or
> "Extras" or even "Ligatures" where you can get the additional characters.
> Awkward but do-able.
>
> Most of the major font vendors' websites will give you an option to view all
> of the glyphs included in each font. Myfonts, Adobe, etc. etc.

As a "simple user," I appreciate the information.  This gives me
something to go on, much more than I had before.

--
Paul Bartlett
0
On 6/27/2011 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>
> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>
> I am willing to pay value for value. Thanks very much for any
> assistance.

I don't know if you're still watching here, but I just happened to come
across a font family with extensive ligatures that might fit your
requirement. See "Feijoa" at Klim fonts:

http://klim.co.nz/

I haven't looked at their other fonts, but it's possible that they have
equivalent ligature support

  - Character
0
Char8044 (73)
7/1/2011 11:46:09 PM
On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Character wrote:

> On 6/27/2011 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>> Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so
>> any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means)
>> Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing
>> programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures:
>>
>> ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase)
>>
>> I am willing to pay value for value. Thanks very much for any
>> assistance.
>
> I don't know if you're still watching here, but I just happened to
> come across a font family with extensive ligatures that might fit
> your requirement.  See "Feijoa" at Klim fonts:
>
> http://klim.co.nz/
>
> I haven't looked at their other fonts, but it's possible that they
> have equivalent ligature support

Yes, I am still watching here.  Thanks very much for the information.
I appreciate it.  Since I originally posted, I have discovered that a
font I vaguely knew of but had never never really paid much attention
to has pretty much what I was looking for, and it is free (although I
was/am willing to pay for things).

Junicode ("Junius-Unicode") at http://junicode.sourceforge.net

Although aparently it was originally intended for medievalists, the
"regular" font has just over 3000 (!) glyphs, including the ligatures
(and more) that I was looking for, together with scripts such as
Cyrillic, Greek, and others that I don't even recognize.  OpenOffice
Writer has an Insert / Special Character function, so I opened up a
file and (rather tediously) pasted in the glyphs I was looking for, as
well as many others that might be of use, and saved that file as a sort
of template.  That way in the future I can just open it along with
whatever document I might be working on using Junicode and just paste
in whatever I want.  (The Insert / Special Character function is a
little awkward with so many glyphs in the tiny display, and I wanted to
do it only once.)

--
Paul Bartlett
0
On 07/02/2011 05:55 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Character wrote:

<snip>

> Yes, I am still watching here.  Thanks very much for the information.
> I appreciate it.  Since I originally posted, I have discovered that a
> font I vaguely knew of but had never never really paid much attention
> to has pretty much what I was looking for, and it is free (although I
> was/am willing to pay for things).
>
> Junicode ("Junius-Unicode") at http://junicode.sourceforge.net
>
> Although aparently it was originally intended for medievalists, the
> "regular" font has just over 3000 (!) glyphs, including the ligatures
> (and more) that I was looking for, together with scripts such as
> Cyrillic, Greek, and others that I don't even recognize.  OpenOffice
> Writer has an Insert / Special Character function, so I opened up a
> file and (rather tediously) pasted in the glyphs I was looking for, as
> well as many others that might be of use, and saved that file as a sort
> of template.  That way in the future I can just open it along with
> whatever document I might be working on using Junicode and just paste
> in whatever I want.  (The Insert / Special Character function is a
> little awkward with so many glyphs in the tiny display, and I wanted to
> do it only once.)

If you're just looking for a font with a lot of glyphs - check out
Quivira : http://www.quivira-font.com/ version 3.6 has 9588

GNU FreeFont http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/ also has quite the
selection.

I like the looks of Linux Libertine/Biolinum
http://www.linuxlibertine.org/ and use it often.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature which shows
Adobe Caslon Pro as a good candidate.

Steve
0
smasta (14)
7/2/2011 11:30:02 PM
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> That way in the future I can just open it along with whatever document
> I might be working on using Junicode and just paste in whatever I want.

You can also copy from here:
 http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidataFB.html
 http://niwo.mnsys.org/saved/~flavell/unicode/unidataFB.html

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=author:Alan.J.Flavell

0
prilop4321 (50)
7/4/2011 3:47:04 PM
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>
>> That way in the future I can just open it along with whatever document
>> I might be working on using Junicode and just paste in whatever I want.
>
> You can also copy from here:
> http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/unicode/unidataFB.html
> http://niwo.mnsys.org/saved/~flavell/unicode/unidataFB.html

Much obliged.  I have bookmarked those pages.

--
Paul Bartlett
0

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extract the zip file as advised by the documentation (fonts dir in texmf/fonts, docs in texmf/doc, tex in texmf/latex) 2/ make updmap find the lm.map and use it : updmap --enable Map /mydir/latex/texmf/fonts/map/lm.map 3/ update the list of packages/fonts in texmf : mktexlsr /mydir/latex/texmf) 4/ try to use it in tex files... Here it goes... => kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmss9 mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6) kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmss9 ! I can't find file `ec-lmss9'. <*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmss9 (and the same goes for all lm classes :s) So my guess is that kpathsea does not find the directory /mydir/latex (that's why i tried to put the full path to lm.map with updmap), is there an easyway to tell kpathsea to add /mydir/latex ...

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

Selecting "times roman" font.
Hi list! I'm building a .pdf from latex sources using "latex" and "dvipdfm". That is I build a pdf a year ago, and now want to simply change only a tiny thing, however today it gets a slightly other font and looks different :-( I figured already out, that last year the pdf used "times roman" while now it uses "NimbusRomanNo9L-Regular". I understand the advantage of having an open alternative, but nevertheless I would like to build that specific pdf with dvipdfm with the classic closed "Times Roman". Has somebody any hints how to do it? Kind Regards, Axel Kittenberger On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:48:41 +0200, Axel Kittenberger wrote: > I'm building a .pdf from latex sources using "latex" and "dvipdfm". That > is I build a pdf a year ago, and now want to simply change only a tiny > thing, however today it gets a slightly other font and looks different :-( > > I figured already out, that last year the pdf used "times roman" while > now it uses "NimbusRomanNo9L-Regular". I understand the advantage of > having an open alternative, but nevertheless I would like to build that > specific pdf with dvipdfm with the classic closed "Times Roman". I would guess that last year, dvipdfm built a pdf without a "times roman" font embedded and what you saw was whatever was available as a substitute on your system, probably Times New Rom...

about "++" and "--"

Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"
I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in my document, LaTeX says: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. I have all fd files installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar way. What else could be wrong? Martin Magnusson <martin@xx-blecket-xx.org> writes: >I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux >system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 > >I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in >my document, LaTeX says: > > LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined > (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. > >I have all fd files installed under >/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under >/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. this isn't good policy: the texmf-local tree is for additions like this. >I have run texhash after putting >the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar >way. What else could be wrong? last i looked, there wasn't an adobe...

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

why "::", not "."

Font Request: "The Batman" (Animated Series) Title Font
Hi, folks... I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening title of "The Batman" animated series. I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I can't find anything on "The Batman". Can you guys help me on this? Regards, MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, folks... > > I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening > title of "The Batman" animated series. > > I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & > Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I > can't find anything on "The Batman". > > Can you guys help me on this? > Not without a sample ... Hi, The sample can be found here: http://www.batmans.de/images/large/the-batman-1280.gif TIA MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > The sample can be found here: > http://www.batmans.de/images/large/the-batman-1280.gif > > TIA > > MstrControl > Sorry - I forgot which group I was in and posted an attachment. Here's the message without attachments: > Not a font - all hand lettered (as were the original comic books). Vaguely similar - Different bedrocks Bedrock BT (Bitstream - originally with a Flint...

Font Installer: "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly"
Hey there :) I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be able to browse my Fontfolio fonts (a lot of fonts), but lately (I think with 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (my current version) - I think it was okay with 3.2.3) it starts reading fonts, then after about 1000 fonts, it stops and I get a popup with "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly". What could be the cause of this? TIA, Daniel -- I win! DanielEKFA wrote: > Hey there :) > > I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be > able to browse my Fontfolio fonts (a lot of fonts), but lately (I think > with 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (my current version) - I think it was okay with > 3.2.3) it starts reading fonts, then after about 1000 fonts, it stops and > I get a popup with "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly". > What could be the cause of this? > > TIA, > Daniel > > Of course I forget a lot of details here, d'oh! I'm on Mandrake 10.1 Official and I'm using the KDE Control Center to browse my fonts. -- I win! ...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Kind regards Bj�rn Studio Smalbro > Works like a dream. Only truetypefonts though. Thanks for the info. To me, that is a major limitation. No hurry for that upgrade then! ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

combining "text-align: center" and "font-size: 22px"

Any good "free "font" Sites?
Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisements popping up. If anyone cares to help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. "David Kopycinski" <hardbeats@rogers.com> wrote: > Does anyone have any good websites that have a well-rounded >collection of free fonts? Seems as though any site that has more >than 30 fonts for free has over 400000 advertisemen...

EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts?
Hello all, I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some because not all figures share this problem. The solution proposed by AGU is as follows: "All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support. Thus, the figures in question (P04, F04, P07, F08, P08 & F08) have taken on font substitutes. In order to resolve the font substitute issues, please make sure to outline the fonts prior to resubmitting. Doing this will make them vector based objects instead of font files. Another solution would be to use a more common font style such as ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN. Follows is a list of fonts found that we can not support: CMR8 CMR9 CMR12 CMSY9 CMSY10 CMMI9 " I was surprised because I did not realize that some figures (from the same application) have embedded fonts while others are in outline mode. I am further surprised that AGU do not support CM fonts. Critically, I do not know how to "outline" fonts at all. What I have done in producing the final figures is to use the endfloat package to shift figures to separate pages at the end of my compiled PS file, extracted each PS page sep...

Ghostscript 8,64 installation on Windows -- missing "Fonts" and "Resources"?
I installed the Windows version of Ghostscript 8.64 using the installer (from http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/) which was the only one I was able to find. However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed with Ghostscript. Did this change recently? Am I expected to install the fonts from other sources? Like, using the "urwfonts-1.41.tar.bz" package that I found somewhere else? The www.ghostscript.com website did not have any obvious link (at least not one which I found) to a fonts download location. I have seen an older Ghostscript (8.54) on a colleague's notebook, where there are non-empty Fonts and Resources directories within the Ghostscript install location. Could I possibly copy those over and use with Ghostscript 8.64? Friday 08 May 2009 > However, I guess there is a bug in this installer in that it does not > install any "Fonts" nor any "Resources" directory and also no > "Fontmap" file. These items I do expect being present because the > documentation ("Fonts.htm") does talk about these being distributed > with Ghostscript. My understanding is that with 8.63, the fonts and resources are now included in a dll. For most...

"Le Petit Prince" or "The Little Prince" Cover Title FONT searching
Does anyone know wich is the FONT of the title in the cover of the famous book "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry? If you don�t know the book you could find an example in: http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/2070408507.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg http://www.space.com/images/h_little_prince_000905_03.jpg Thank you. Ilargizuri wrote: > Does anyone know wich is the FONT of the title in the cover of the > famous book "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exup�ry? It. Is. Not. A. Font. (Sigh.) -- Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltrebing@ltre...

"Simone" Font?
Anyone know what font is used for the S1MONE movie-for the title name? Thanks! Dragon wrote: > Anyone know what font is used for the S1MONE movie-for the title name? > > Thanks! I don't mean to be rude, but there are many of us who aren't familiar with that particular movie and aren't about to go hunting around the net looking for a sample. How about a link? -- My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually lose his marbles? My mistake....apologies. ;) http://www.s1m0ne.com Thanks! DrGn "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstic...

"Pseudocode Font"
How would I use the font that generates pseudocode? - Kwaj ...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Web resources about - "Old Fashioned" Roman Font with Ligatures? - comp.fonts