Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) font?

Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
BSODs?

Thanks.

0
DC
1/20/2004 6:49:17 AM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

"DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID...
> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
> BSODs?

Yep. It is the text font wired into your video card.

Andreas

-2
Andreas
1/20/2004 1:16:16 PM
Andreas H�feld wrote in <bujouq$9n9$04$2@news.t-online.com>:
> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID...
>> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
>> BSODs?

> Yep. It is the text font wired into your video card.

Okay.

So, there can be minor variances from one video card mfr to another in
this font?  I seem to recall every BSOD I have ever had having the same
font, regardless of the system I was using.  There must be a standard
that the video card mfrs use?  If you know what it is called, I would
really like to know.

Thanks again.

--
DC
0
DC wrote:

> Andreas H�feld wrote in <bujouq$9n9$04$2@news.t-online.com>:
>
>> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the
>>> Win9x BSODs?
>>
>> Yep. It is the text font wired into your video card.
>
> So, there can be minor variances from one video card mfr to another
> in this font? [...]

Yes. There are two quite popular fonts, though: The "standard" hardware
font used by most card manufacturers, and the ATI font used by ... guess
who. ;) Besides that there is (almost) nothing.

--
Lars Trebing  |  http://www.ltrebing.de/  |  mailto:ltrebing@ltrebing.de
0
Lars Trebing wrote in <bukjk8$il2a4$3@ID-184670.news.uni-berlin.de>:
> DC wrote:

>> Andreas H�feld wrote in <bujouq$9n9$04$2@news.t-online.com>:

>>> "DC" <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Yep. It is the text font wired into your video card.

>> So, there can be minor variances from one video card mfr to another
>> in this font? [...]

> Yes. There are two quite popular fonts, though: The "standard" hardware
> font used by most card manufacturers, and the ATI font used by ... guess
> who. ;) Besides that there is (almost) nothing.

Thanks, but does this font have a name?

--
DC
1
DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID>...
> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
> BSODs?

Have a look at <http://groups.google.com/groups?&th=1c4090c8fe6c04b3>
-1
7ibehx001
1/21/2004 10:39:21 AM
DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID>...
> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
> BSODs?

This Truetype font
<http://www.dafont.com/en/search.php?nq=5&q=perfect_dos_vga_437>
was made to match the bitmap.
1
7ibehx001
1/21/2004 10:46:36 AM
Alan wrote in <2a7ef8ef.0401210239.5748fadd@posting.google.com>:
> DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID>...
>> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
>> BSODs?

> Have a look at <http://groups.google.com/groups?&th=1c4090c8fe6c04b3>

Interesting.  Thanks.

--
DC
0
Alan wrote in <2a7ef8ef.0401210246.6213b3d1@posting.google.com>:
> DC <dcmoose@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc0pjrd.3hd.dcmoose@moosemeat.ca.INVALID>...
>> Can anyone tell me, with certainty, which font is used in the Win9x
>> BSODs?

> This Truetype font
><http://www.dafont.com/en/search.php?nq=5&q=perfect_dos_vga_437>
> was made to match the bitmap.

Just what I was looking for!  Thanks!!!!

--
DC
0

MIssing fonts when looking at screen.fonts
My application allows the user to select fonts. I fill in a combo box control with the available fonts by looping through all System.Fonts: ' Get all the screen fonts ReDim sFontNameList(Screen.FontCount - 1) For i = 0 To Screen.FontCount - 1 sFontNameList(i) = Screen.Fonts(i) Next i Although I haven't checked all fonts, I know I'm missing one font in particular -- Monotype Corsiva. Some additional info: My client runs the application on two machines -- both Windowx XP. On of the machines worked fine, the other did not. When I troubleshot the problem it boile...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.). -- AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball Alice Faber wrote: > You've enabled something about Central European input German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe... > The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings > for the characters that appear in those orthographies I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in programs that have a "traditional" font menue. Stefan In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@ne...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

windows setting (screen pixels/font) impact on application's fonts
------_=_NextPart_001_01C6DB54.6C6F5236 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello. =20 Change MS Windows's screen pixels/fonts affect wxWidget app GUI, how can I Set the app GUI fonts fixed and not affected by MS Windows's screen pixels/fonts's Change? =20 Thanks =20 ming ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6DB54.6C6F5236 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" = xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" = xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" = xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"> <head> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dus-ascii"> <meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)"> <style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.2...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac)
Hello, I today found out how to use input of japanese symbols on the Mac OS-X. It's nice and easy, but the TextEditor does not save in formats I'm looking for. Useful would be either UTF-8, or (what I'm looking for especially) SJS. The latter is a format that is used in Japan and pTeX also can read SJS-encoded japanese fonts. pTeX is a certain TeX-variant, that is used especially in japan. What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an save them in different font formats, or a program that can convert from one font-encoding to another encoding. The "convert" program (the user-cli-interface of ImageMagick can a lot, but is specialized on grapfical fileformats and can't convert fonts/texts. Is there such a converter program, or an editor that can be used? (There is a Program called JWPce, but it's only running on WinCE). Even a hint to convert one font into another (are there encoding tables?) maybe would help, if it is not toooo much effort to write a converter by myself.... ....but using a ready-to-use solution would be preferred. Any hint is welcome. Many Thanks, Oliver Hi, > What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used > to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an > save them in different font formats, > or a program that can convert from one font-encoding > to another encoding. > Is there such a converter prog...

MPlayer OS/2 port: Howto install a font (bitmap font) for the On Screen Display ODS
MPlayer OS/2 port Howto install a font (bitmap font) for the On Screen Display ODS Status: 2007-07-12 20.00 MPlayer port: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/apps/mmedia/video/players/mplayer-dev-svn-r23698-os2-3.3.5.zip With out a font installed the following information messages occure and key commands r and t does show no text on screen This is the output of mplayer before installing the font: ----------------------------------------------------------- --> snip Starting playback... VDec: vo config request - 384 x 288 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12) VDec...

win32 font/xlib font
Hello ! I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related to font handleing. - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to SelectObject ? - If i gave a xlib Font type, is there a way to access to its corresponding HFONT type ? Many thanks in advance for your help ! Luc Hello Luc, On 7/20/2010 1:50 PM, Luc Moulinier wrote: > Hello ! > I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related > to font handleing. > > - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to > SelectObject...

Emerald fonts
Hi there, I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of me how to resize the font. I'm using this in the context of: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{emerald} \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont Here's the body of my text {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} Body text continues... \end{document} I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group only for short notes. ...

Making a font from another font
Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font that should behave exactly as the original one except for one thing: the characters should be print according to a -1 1 scale. Warning: [-1 0 0 1 0 0] makefont does not what I want, since it reverses the printing direction. For instance: (ABCDE) show should print ABCDE in this very same order but each letter should be horizontally mirrored. How can I do that? On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:04:14 +0100, Nobody wrote: > Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font > that should behave exactly as the original on...

font dialog font list
I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would like to achieve: Only show fixed-length fonts (courier new etc). I can't see any methods of properties to achieve such a thing, and unfortunately the code to the application which displays this feature is not available. Kind regards, Adam. AdamMaynard24 wrote: > I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the > font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would > like to achieve: Only show fixed-length fonts (courier new etc). Set the fdFixedPitchOnly option. -- Rob ...

font method -option font
hi is there a method that checks if a certain widget responds to a certain -option ? or actually my question could also be what is an easy way to change the font in an entire application ? i thought this was where the money was: perl application.pl -font "Monaco 12" but nothing happens , and i haven't mentioned the word -font in application.pl so my questions remain thank you -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. If you wish to unsubscribe from...

MAC Fonts/Windows Fonts
Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed the file out and noticed that the font was really "cool," the a was more like an a we write with a c and a line (you know, kinda like we write and NOT the way courier new does). I am trying to figure out: First, does anyone have any idea what font it was? Second, what program do you think I probably used? I think it looks like a TXT file but it is a doc. What is it, just looks really good. Help me our here, please. GNV wrote: > Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed > the file out ...

/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm using ttf2afm) Thanks Yakov "Yakov Lerner" <iler.ml@gmail.com> writes: > What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added > ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm > using ttf2afm) You don't need to add anything. Just run fc-cache. This really has nothing to do with X. If you want to make X aware of your new font, you should run mkfontscale and mkfontdir in that directory. -- M�n...

Converting fonts back to fonts?
Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text -- but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB. Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been, for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object. And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in eit...

Copying Fonts to Fonts Folder
Hello When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the Mac the fonts immediately become available to all applications. However when I do the same in Windows (2000 or XP, not tried Vista) there has to be a restart to activate the font and make it available to other apps. Is there a trick in the Windows system to activate the font without having to do a restart? TIA M In article <hJudnQ08PvMF2hraRVnyiwA@bt.com>, "fontoholic" <malcolm911@btconnect.com> wrote: > Hello > > When my RB app copies fonts to the Fonts Folder on the ...

What are nil2 fonts and cursor fonts
Hi, When I run Xterm I get a message saying that it cannot convert nil2 fonts to fontstructure. What are nil2 fonts ?. I see it in Xterm.ad. Also another related question is what is cursor fonts ?. Thanks for your help. Regards Kanchan ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.] On 18 Jun 2005 18:35:14 -0700, v_kanchan@yahoo.com staggered into the Black Sun and said: > When I run Xterm I get a message saying that it cannot convert nil2 > fonts to fontstructure. What are nil2 fonts ?. I see it in Xterm.ad. In "man xterm" , the Resources s...

win32 font/xlib font
Hello ! I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related to font handleing. - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to SelectObject ? - If i gave a xlib Font type, is there a way to access to its corresponding HFONT type ? Many thanks in advance for your help ! Luc Hello Luc, On 7/20/2010 1:50 PM, Luc Moulinier wrote: > Hello ! > I'm new to Win32, coming from X11, and I have some questions related > to font handleing. > > - How do I go from a font fname (Courier 12) to a HFONT to give to > SelectObject...

Font Book
I am running OS X 10.4.2 server and trying to utilize the nework font feature within Font Book. I setup the shared library on the server and the needed Fonts folder which is mounting to the client correctly under /Network/Library/Fonts but within Font Book the Network is listed but as "Off" and no matter what I do it will not enable. Any thoughts would be great... I figured this out, when creating a shared library in 10.4 server the name of the share has to be Library with the correct permissions, you can put it in a sub directory but need the Library name to mount correctly on the...

Requesting a font/font name
Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, please tell the name of that font! ADNAN_16A2@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by > cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, > please tell the name of that font! A sample would likely be very helpful for font identification. I have access to some of the DVDs, so I'll see if I can get a frame grab... -- Vid the Kid "Does this font make me look fat?&quo...

Large fonts
I have a Thinkpad A22p running WinXP, which has a resolution of 1600 x 1200 on the native LCD. Normal fonts are too hard (for me) to read at that resolution, so I use large fonts (120 dpi). But that's on the native LCD. The rest of the time, I have it docked and attached to a 19" monitor running at 1280 x 1024, and at that resolution I prefer normal fonts. It's somewhat of a pain every time I switch configurations to have to change the DPI settings and reboot. Is there a way to tell WinXP to "Use Large Fonts when you're on the native LCD, Normal Fonts when you're...

organize fonts in font menu
What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop or Illustrator? I remember the old days in Mac that I can put different fonts in different folders and they would be grouped together (maybe with suitcase or just the OS). Is there something similar on Windows? It's really time consuming when searching for a font from a long list. Thanks for any info! > What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in > alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop > o...

Web resources about - Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) font? - comp.fonts

Screen International - Film industry news from UK, US, Europe, Asia and The World
Screen's homepage. Includes the latest film industry news, reviews and features.

Screen Digest
is widely regarded as the world's leading media-focused research, publishing and consulting company. The company employs 50 analysts, working ...

→ Sponsor: Screens
Screens VNC lets you connect back to your computer whether you’re ten thousand miles away or ten feet from your desk. Screens: it just works. ...

Screen Actors Guild - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Screen Actors Guild ( SAG ) was an American labor union representing over 105,000 film and television principal and background performers ...

How-To: Easily move items to full screen apps with Mission Control
Mission Control is a great feature found in OS X that can simplify the process of moving items between full screen apps when combined with Hot ...

The PopSlate 2 adds a second e-ink screen to your iPhone 6s/6 or 6s/6s Plus
The PopSlate is back with a powerful twist. First introduced back in 2015 just for the iPhone 6, the case provided an always-on second screen ...

popSLATE 2 adds a smart second screen to your iPhone and it looks amazing
... see something that really makes us sit up and pay attention. popSLATE 2 is such a project. popSLATE 2 puts a second shatterproof E-Ink screen ...

Green Time Over Screen Time Makes For Happy, Healthy Kids
... what constitutes healthy play and what doesn’t. Public Domain Image via Pixabay. With today’s world dominated by videos games, TV screens ...

George Clooney is thinking about retiring because he looks so old on-screen
... we’ve gotten from Clooney in two years. So Clooney says he’s thinking about retiring… because he’s old and he doesn’t want to look old on-screen. ...

Elon Musk Love, Tesla Model S Service Screens…
... CleanTechnica stories that were most popular in February: Why Elon Musk Is Loved So Much (via EV Obsession) Tesla Model S Service Screens Exposed ...