font names versus font files

My OS is windows xp.
When an html file contains a line such as
the file that is picked up is not "comic sans ms"
but simply "comic.ttf".

Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms"
with "comic.ttf"?

Is this the reason that fonts are "installed"
in windows? Installed so that the look-up table
is corrected?

Tnx,
Charles
0
charles
10/23/2006 2:42:45 PM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, charles cashion wrote:

> Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms"
> with "comic.ttf"?

The operating system does this (whatever your operating system
may be). No program (browser, word processor, etc.) needs
to know the names of the font *files*.

0
Andreas
10/23/2006 3:37:24 PM
> the file that is picked up is not "comic sans ms"
> but simply "comic.ttf".

I hope you are not designing pages with Comic Sans.

It is of course hideous but the more important reason is that Comic Sans=
  =

is not necessarily installed. Not in my computer anyway.

It is safer to use fonts like Arial, Helvetica, Georgia, Times, with  =

important alternatives sans-serif and serif. Then the appearance will no=
t  =

change significantly.

All the additional 'text flavors' can be embedded into flash files or  =

created as images. Body text with Comic Sans is about illegible and I  =

would immediately click myself elsewhere.

Jukka
0
Armadillo
10/23/2006 4:31:28 PM
charles cashion wrote:

> My OS is windows xp.
> When an html file contains a line such as
> the file that is picked up is not "comic sans ms"
> but simply "comic.ttf".

> Where is the code that correlates "comic sans ms"
> with "comic.ttf"?

There is none. No more than ANY filename relates to its content (other
than the file extension).  INSIDE the files are the font names.
Applications (including parts of the operating system) that are
font-aware know where to look.

> Is this the reason that fonts are "installed"
> in windows? Installed so that the look-up table
> is corrected?

No "look-up table" is necessary, although for efficiency Windows XP
does have such a table in the registry.
(HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts). And yes,
"installing" is what creates the registry entry. If you simply do a
DOS copy into the fonts directory (usually c:\windows\fonts), the
registry isn't updated - but it WILL be the next time you restart windows.

Fonts are recognized because they either are in the fonts folder or
because they've been opened in fontview by double clicking or my some
font management application such as Typograf.  The font folder has
special attributes, which is why the font names are displayed when you
look at it in Explorer, instead of the file names that are displayed
for almost every other folder on your system!

  - Character
0
Character
10/23/2006 4:52:06 PM
Character wrote:

> ...  Windows XP does
> have such a table in the registry. (HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows
> NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts). And yes, "installing" is what creates the
> registry entry. If you simply do a DOS copy into the fonts directory
> (usually c:\windows\fonts), the registry isn't updated - but it WILL be
> the next time you restart windows.

SOME applications use the registry entry to determine what fonts are
available. Others look in the fonts folder itself. The registry CAN
point to fonts that are located elsewhere; that's why occasionally
someone will notice that a given font is available in one application
but not in another.
0
Character

How to figure out font file from font name
Acrobat Reader tells me that a certain (PdfTeX generated) PDF file contains the following fonts: SFSS0900, SFSX1728, SFRM1000, SFTI1000, SFRM1095 and SFBX1095. I would like to know to what actual font files these rather terse names happen to refer to. How can I figure that out? (I cannot find any font files with these names in my own TeX font tree, but that is perhaps simply because I do not, at present, have these particular fonts installed on my system). Many thanks in advance for any ideas, Christian "Christian Stapfer" <nobody@nowhere.nil> schrieb im...

Find the font file name from fonts.dir?
I have: the XLFD such as -monospace-Arial-bold-.... I want: the font file name such as "arialbd.ttf" (for Arial bold) which I need for the PDFLib as to export PDF documents. I've noticed that both values are listed in the font directories in a file called fonts.dir (clever me ;). Now my question: does there exist some XLib API call which does that for me? XListFonts only returns me matching XLFDs, given a certain XLFD which is is not what I want. Or can anyone point me to some sample code which does this job (iterate over all directories in the font path as returne...

If I have a TTF font file, what is its font name in Ghostscript?
I know that I can use a Fontmap file to map it, but I'd rather not.... On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Ross Presser wrote: > I know that I can use a Fontmap file to map it, but I'd rather not.... What was the question? Oh, you wrote it only in the Subject and forgot to ask in the body of your posting. The PostScript name is stored in the 'name' table. http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/TTRefMan/RM06/Chap6name.html In article <1169135234.543684.239990@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Ross Presser" <rpresser@gmail.com> wrote: > I know that I can use a Fon...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

Extracting hte font name from a TrueType font file
Does anyone have a Python recipe for this? regards Steve -- Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119 Holden Web LLC http://www.holdenweb.com/ ...

Name of the font? Nome font?
Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? Anyone could help me to find the name of the font of the linked image?... http://www.digitalroads.it/temp/font.jpg Grazie/Thanks -- "Papa',cosa sono le icone? - Sono immagini sacre. - E perche Windows ne ha tante? - Perche ci vogliono i miracoli per farlo funzionare" ]-[ardcastle - ICQ#115164955 In article <b27vn1lpt0q7b83dsvljriptjgkqlepi4t@4ax.com>, "M'Pol aka ]-[ardcastle" <lomjoeNOWASTE@hotmail.com> wrote: > Qualcuno mi puo' indicare il nome della font in immagine? > Anyo...

Requesting a font/font name
Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, please tell the name of that font! ADNAN_16A2@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. I want the font which is used in Naruto anime (english, aired by > cartoon network) subtitling, used to describe the name of episode. OR, > please tell the name of that font! A sample would likely be very helpful for font identification. I have access to some of the DVDs, so I'll see if I can get a frame grab... -- Vid the Kid "Does this font make me look fat?&quo...

Getting font file of font
Hi, i have the following question: how can I determine (need not be a platform-indepent method, need for Windows first) the font file being used for a certain Font object? Background: The user of my program can choose a font from a list (generated by GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment().getAvailableFontFamilyNames()). As a parameter for an external video player I need the corresponding font file, regardless whether it is a font coming the Java Environment or a system-provided one. Thanks in advance, Oliver ...

Finding raw font file data from an ATSUFontID or font name
I have a library that requires either a path to a ttf file or the raw data that is contained in a ttf file. I would like to get this data from an ATSUFontID for an installed system font. Is this possible on a Mac? In article <037a153d-30cc-44b0-82d8-8d9d8dd44208@m18g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>, Daniel Walter <d2walter@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a library that requires either a path to a ttf file or the raw > data that is contained in a ttf file. I would like to get this data > from an ATSUFontID for an installed system font. Is this possible on > a Mac?...

Urgent problem with font sizes in latex: signature page fonts, chapter page chapter name font
Hi there, I am a newbie using Latex for writing my thesis. I have no clue how to change the .sty or .cls files as I am using others templates, (.sty files) directly on Winedt and editing them with my text. I use a document class: report.The chapter font size in the beginning page of each chapter has a large font size. Is there a way I can reduce this font size to12? Also in the table of contents page the dots dont extend to the page numbers for the chapters and main headings. Only subsections etc., have dots extending to page numbers. Any help on this? The Signature page shows up font sizes...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the o...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

How to display a font name and font sizes
Hi folks, I'd like to print name font (and any sizes) in colophon. We've tried for instance \the\font and \the\familydefault and \f@family and many others but its output is weird number (ie "Arial(0)", SIL(0)". Here is our example: \documentclass[showtrims,a4paper,13pt]{memoir} \usepackage[brazilian]{babel} \usepackage{microtype} % XeLaTeX \usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode} \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text} \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Arial} \setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Charis SIL} \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Charis SIL} \...

web fonts versus paper fonts
In Tugboat 28, an article briefly describes reasons for different typesetting in paper versus web. I noticed that web fonts were not mentioned. Is there a reasonable argument for using them? Where can I see good examples? Maybe it's a passe subject, and everybody is happy downloading screen-optimized PDFs? tryinghard <nhirsh33@gmail.com> writes: >In Tugboat 28, an article briefly describes reasons for different >typesetting in paper versus web. I noticed that web fonts were not >mentioned. Is there a reasonable argument for using them? Where can I >see good examples? Ma...

Web resources about - font names versus font files - comp.fonts

Real versus nominal value (economics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In economics a nominal value is an economic value expressed in monetary terms (that is, in units of a currency). By contrast, a real value is ...

Europe Versus Facebook - AllFacebook
Read all Europe Versus Facebook news

Mapping Facebook’s Recent Global Growth Versus Rivals
Facebook is gaining on most of its competitors, according to another look at social networking around the world. We regularly cover the service’s ...

Creative Leaders versus Authoritative Leaders
This chart represents a summary of the kind of creative leadership that is rising and needed in the face of our increasing interconnectedness ...

Virus Vs. Virus(multiplayer versus game collection) for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Virus Vs. Virus(multiplayer versus game collection) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

moose versus car - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore lesleyhyphenanne's photos on Flickr. lesleyhyphenanne has uploaded 913 photos to Flickr.

Australia v India: Usman Khawaja's call-up triggers club versus country debate
... as if they won't have their star batsman despite the likelihood that Khawaja won't actually play against India in Brisbane. The club versus ...

H-bomb versus A-bomb: Understanding the difference
In a world more accustomed to talking about F-bombs than H-bombs, North Korea's claim that it has detonated one may have you asking what it is, ...

Businessweek Cover: Buffett Versus Musk
Businessweek isn’t in this week’s Cover Battle, but the magazine’s latest cover is too good to ignore. Yes, that’s Warren Buffett putting Elon ...

Questions About the National Guard: Clarification on Title 10 Versus Title 32
Several questions have arisen over the past few days about whether the National Guard could be mobilized by the Oregon governor and sent to Harney ...