Font used on Playbills?

Does anybody know the name of the font that is used on broadway
playbills? It is not "Playbill" any other suggestions? And if you have
it or know where to get it please let me know.

Thanks!

Kathy
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

Thus spake Kathy:
> Does anybody know the name of the font that is used on broadway
> playbills? It is not "Playbill" any other suggestions? And if you have
> it or know where to get it please let me know.

Could you provide a link or sponsor me a ticket to go and have a look
myself?

Andreas
--
To reply by mail add "from usenet" in subject line,
other mails will be filtered automatically.

0
Andreas
5/27/2004 10:19:33 PM
This is the link to the playbill.com homepage. The font that I am
looking for is used in the black and yellow logo on the top of the
page.

http://www.playbill.com/index.php

Thanks again!

Kathy
0
kathyandkiara
5/28/2004 2:47:08 AM
Kathy wrote on 5/27/04 11:45 AM:

> Does anybody know the name of the font that is used on broadway
> playbills? It is not "Playbill" any other suggestions? And if you have
> it or know where to get it please let me know.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kathy

If it's the lettering used on the banner on this page:
http://www.playbill.com/index.php

then the font is Latin Bold (see
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=205114)
--
- Mike Yanega
(NOTE TO ID POSTERS: Please use a unique Subject to make your thread easier

0
Mike

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation LiberationMono-Bold.ttf LiberationSans-Regular.ttf LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf LiberationMono-Italic.ttf LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf LiberationMono-Regular.ttf LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf LiberationSans-Bold.ttf LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf fonts.dir LiberationSans-Italic.ttf fonts.scale But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error: rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font Rich Cook wrote: > H...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

Can not use fonts stored in Fonts folder
The Courier font, for which there are two types of Courier font installed on my system, is not displayed in the font drop-down menu in my copy of Word 2000. I have tried to fix this problem but can not. Does anyone know how I can get these two versions of Courier to display so I can use that font in my Word documents? ...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.). -- AF "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team." --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball Alice Faber wrote: > You've enabled something about Central European input German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe... > The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings > for the characters that appear in those orthographies I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in programs that have a "traditional" font menue. Stefan In article <bp8qd3$6up$1@ne...

FONTS ? (name of default font using gplot cgmof97L ?)
Does anyone know the name of the default font please when using gplot with cgmof97L ? The default font only seems to be usable with single letter upper case characters. I can use other fonts such as zapf, or swiss or complex or simplex but it would be very helpful to know just which the default font is. The trouble is that the default font comes out best on my output, but for some tests I need more characters and so have to use another font for those and the difference between them is a bit problematic. If I knew the name of the default font I might be able to get a workaround. Thanks ...

siunitx using wrong font: font shapes not available
This code \unitfrac{g}{cm^3} or any other using the command unitfrac which is defined as \NewDocumentCommand\unitfrac{omm}{% \IfNoValueTF{#1} {\si{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}} {\SI{#1}{\sfrac{#2}{#3}}}% } causes these errors: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OML/cmm/m/it' in size <3.1492> not available (Font) size <5> substituted on input line 32. Any chance that I can solve this problem, or is it related to sfrac ( from xfrac) or siunitx? Am Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:00:18 +0200 schrieb Matthias Pospiech: > This code \unitfrac{g}{cm^3} or any other using the command unitfra...

Q.: Only one font in use, but 100 fonts embedded ... ?
The Subject line gives it in a nutshell -- my question(s) is (are) why? (and how to fix?) We've got a PDF containing the fully laid out, formatted pages of a book that uses one font (T.N.R.) in normal, bold, and italic, in several point-sizes. This PDF's Properties sheet shows about a hundred randomly-alphanumerically-named Type 1 embedded fonts. Why should that be? And is there anything we can do to reduce that number? The PDF is produced by Acrobat Distiller (v. 4.05) from a PS file itself obtained by printing a MS Word .DOC file to a PostScript printer "on FILE", wit...

How to use my own font names (i.e. a creating font aliases?)
I would like to be able to specific the fonts with my own name, as right now I have to specify ua1r8r for Arial: \font\arial10=ua1r8r at 10pt Instead, I want to be able to write: \font\arial10=arial at 10pt Can I change the font name to do that? Thanks! - Mark Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote: : I would like to be able to specific the fonts with my own name, as right now I : have to specify ua1r8r for Arial: : \font\arial10=ua1r8r at 10pt : Instead, I want to be able to write: : \font\arial10=arial at 10pt : Can I change the font name to do that? Thanks! - Mark Well, th...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

CSS Fonts: Detect Font DPI use specific CSS
Hi All, I've run into a bit of an interesting problem with CSS and font DPI and would certainly welcome help. Problem: Page layout defined in CSS has font size issues (overlapping frames, text overflowing out of popup window, etc) on a windows systems using 120dpi fonts (large fonts), but everything looks perfect in 96dpi small fonts. My question is this, is there a way to detect system font size and select an appropriate CSS style for each case? The deployment is a "slideshow" like courseware solution that is displayed in a popup window - overflow is not an optio...

X11: how to find out whether font uses font-specific encoding?
Hi, I need to find out under X11 whether a given font (I have it's file path, too) uses font-specific encoding or not (standard encoding). "Symbol" fonts such as Webdings, Symbol or Dingbats use font-specific encoding. (I need this to know because when exporting to PDF I need to set "winansi" or "builtin" as parameter to the corresponding function). I found out about *.afm files which contain a line such as EncodingScheme FontSpecific which would indicate a "symbol" font. The problem is that on my Linux box all *.afm files which belong to the...

Using SHX fonts, compiled from PostScript fonts, in AutoCAD 2002
I've posted this question to AutoDesk's free discussion group and I thought I'd post more publicly for a second opinion. I recently purchased a new PostScript font for our office and want it to be available in AutoCAD on all computers. I ran the compiler to generate SHX fonts from my PFB fonts. Although the files are in my Fonts folder, they are not appearing in the MTEXT Character pulldown. They do appear in the STYLE dialog box, but I would like to have them in the mtext pulldown for the sake of consistency. I do not have corresponding TrueType versions of these fonts. Does anyone have any insight? I think the MTEXT dialog box only uses the true type fonts and if you set your style to shx it creates a proxy font. Marv "Robin_Lamb" <robinlamb1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3f395094.0309251458.1ccdf2aa@posting.google.com... > I've posted this question to AutoDesk's free discussion group and I > thought I'd post more publicly for a second opinion. > > I recently purchased a new PostScript font for our office and want it > to be available in AutoCAD on all computers. I ran the compiler to > generate SHX fonts from my PFB fonts. Although the files are in my > Fonts folder, they are not appearing in the MTEXT Character pulldown. > > They do appear in the STYLE dialog box, but I would like to have them > in the mtext pulldown for the sake of consistency. I do not ha...

What Font is used as the default LabView System and Dialog Font on a windows?
What font is used as the default LabView System and Dialog font on a Windows system? Can I use the default system and dialog font in another software (i.e; Win word or Illustrator etc.) For Windows XP, the font is Tahoma. I don't know if Windows has a method for changing this (I thought it would be in the display settings, but couldn't find it). Maybe in the registry? For more details, see <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/99D21982A9F954E186256A5B0057919E" target="_blank">here</a>. ...

Re: FONTS ? (name of default font using gplot cgmof97L ?)
radevenz@IX.NETCOM.COM sagely replied: >Not sure of the default, but you can specify your default using > goptions ftext="{true-type-font-name}", or > goptions ftext={SAS-font-name} > >CGMOF97L is also graphics device with 'hardware' fonts. You should be able >to specify which one you want by using > goptions CHARTYPE={chartype-#}, or > HWCGM### in font specifications (e.g. title f=HWCGM006 "This text >should >be rendered Times Roman Bold") > >Use SAS Explorer to view SASHELP.DEVICES.CGMOF97L. It should show >...

xterm: query font used after larger-vt-font() calls
I have used Debian for years, but decided to try Ubuntu on a new desktop to get more up to date packages. I got most things to where I like them, but there are still a few annoying issues. The current one is the xterm font. If I start the xterm with a "fixed" font and increase it a few times (by larger-vt-font() feature) I get the font I like. However, I cannot find what exactly font it is to add to my Fvwm menu, etc. and spending an hour with xfontsel did not help (too many variants). Is there a way to find out what is the current font the xterm uses (i.e. the font after larger-vt...

Using the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part of Style[]?
Hello -> All, Is there any way to use the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part of Style[]? I am writing a chess program that could really make use of the Chess fonts. However, it seems that these fonts can only be added on somewhat superficially, by changing the font of already generated output. I don't see a way for a function to display them directly, without a human being going into the Font menu. Thanks a10^6, Jason Jason Ebaugh, PhD. Personal communications: ebaughjason@gmail.com Business communications: jason.ebaugh@apisscientific.com Disse...

Figures captions font size bigger than font size used in document
Hi, I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it is possible - ???) how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size "footnotesize" Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, \floatingfigure \includegraphics \epsfig \minipage the web was searched and some books consulted with out success Best Regards On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:30:49 +0100, Lathe_Biosas <lathe_biosas@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I would kindly appreciate some help if someobody could show me (if it > is possible - ???) > how to give a figure a caption text of the same size that is used on > the text of the hole document currently set to footnotesize. > > While placing caption to figures the caption text is of the size > "normalsize" and it is desired to have a caption with font size > "footnotesize" > > Many work arounds were tried with the following commands, > \floatingfigure > \includegraphics > \epsfig > \minipage > > the web was searched and some books consulted with out success I think you will find the caption package a great relief then. Be sure to grab the latest version from CTAN, see <http://www.ctan.org/info?id=caption>. -- Morten Perfe...

Re: Using the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part of Style[]?
I don't know which fonts are chess fonts but have you tried just using them? The following works for me Style["This is a test of various fonts 0123456789", FontFamily -> #, 18] & /@ {"American Typewriter", "Arial", "Papyrus", "Playbill", "Webdings", "Zapf Dingbats"} // Column Bob Hanlon ---- Jason Ebaugh <ebaughjason@gmail.com> wrote: ============= Hello -> All, Is there any way to use the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part of Style[]? I am writ...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac)
Hello, I today found out how to use input of japanese symbols on the Mac OS-X. It's nice and easy, but the TextEditor does not save in formats I'm looking for. Useful would be either UTF-8, or (what I'm looking for especially) SJS. The latter is a format that is used in Japan and pTeX also can read SJS-encoded japanese fonts. pTeX is a certain TeX-variant, that is used especially in japan. What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an save them in different font formats, or a program that can convert from one font-encoding to another encoding. The "convert" program (the user-cli-interface of ImageMagick can a lot, but is specialized on grapfical fileformats and can't convert fonts/texts. Is there such a converter program, or an editor that can be used? (There is a Program called JWPce, but it's only running on WinCE). Even a hint to convert one font into another (are there encoding tables?) maybe would help, if it is not toooo much effort to write a converter by myself.... ....but using a ready-to-use solution would be preferred. Any hint is welcome. Many Thanks, Oliver Hi, > What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used > to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an > save them in different font formats, > or a program that can convert from one font-encoding > to another encoding. > Is there such a converter prog...

Can you convert a Type 1 font (Mac) to an OpenType font (PC) for PC use?
Can you convert a Type 1 font (Mac) to an OpenType font (PC) for PC use? I have purchased numerous PostScript Adobe Type 1 fonts over the last 15 years for use on my Mac. Is there a way to use any of these fonts as OpenType on a PC? (specifically for Word). I do not want to substitute any fonts. I am using the Helvetica Neue Condensed family. Thanks. leo@leoaudette.com You can easily convert Mac Type1 to PC Type1. The two major programs for this are CrossFont from http://www.asy.com and Transtype http://www.fontlab.com Type 1 fonts are fully supported by Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Wind...

Re: Using the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part of Style[]? #2
Hi, could be as simple as: Style["Hello World", FontFamily -> "WingDings"] The help entry for Style is swamped with examples... Regards, Yves Am 01.11.2010 11:00, schrieb Jason Ebaugh: > Hello -> All, > > Is there any way to use the fonts available in the Format>Font menu as part > of Style[]? > > I am writing a chess program that could really make use of the Chess fonts. > However, it seems that these fonts can only be added on somewhat > superficially, by changing the font of already generated output. I don't ...

Web resources about - Font used on Playbills? - comp.fonts

Playbill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Playbill is a monthly U.S. magazine for theatregoers . Although there is a subscription issue available for home delivery , most Playbill s are ...

Live Nation Entertainment and Playbill on short-list to run Palais Theatre
... Entertainment as one of three candidates from 37 expressions of interest to run the St Kilda theatre. The other two are Sydney-based Playbill ...

1796 Theatre Playbill - the earliest surviving document printed in Australia - The Book Show - ABC Radio ...
The Canadian government has recently given the National Library of Australia the earliest surviving document printed in Australia.

Playbill, the Magazine of Broadway, Makes its Logo a Rainbow Ahead of Pride Week
Playbill, the magazine distributed to theatergoers nationwide, has swapped its iconic yellow and black logo for the rainbow flag synonymous with ...

Playbill Will Go Rainbow for Pride
The popular performing arts magazine will alter its iconic logo for the month of June.

Playbill Has Some Harry Potter Fun
As FishbowlNY well knows, sometimes when coining a headline, it’s primarily about the writer-editor amusing themselves. Here, Playbill managing ...

Playbill To Go Rainbow For Pride
Brandon Voss reports at the Advocate : For the first time in its 130 years, Playbill will alter its logo in honor of LGBT Pride. The performing ...

Idina Menzel Replaced by Adele Dazeem on If/Then Playbill After John Travolta Flub—See the Funny Pic ...
From Twitter to a name generator to Broadway—Adele Dazeem is taking over, y'all! It's been three ...

With New Websites, Broadway Staple Playbill Adapts To A Digital Script
For decades, Playbill has monopolized our attention as we wait for the lights to go down at a Broadway show. Look around a theater now, and you’ll ...

PM Note: Enter Scrooge, The Fiscal Cliff Playbill, Supreme Stall on Gay Marriage
AP: Cabinet Shuffle Could Come Sooner Than Expected – “President Barack Obama could name his next defense secretary in December, far sooner than ...