Fonts in the ROM of IBM's Display Adapters

I am interested to know what is contained in IBM's display adapter's
ROMs.  More specifically, IBM released 4 major display adapters that
were widely cloned, the MDA, the CGA, the EGA, and the VGA.  Each
adapter has its own cell sizes in its text modes:
MDA:  9x14
CGA:  8x8
EGA:  8x14
MCGA: 8x16
VGA:  9x16

The EGA supports the text modes of CGA and MDA, the MCGA supports EGA,
CGA, and MDA, the VGA supports MCGA, EGA, CGA, and MDA.  This means
that up to five fonts need to be stored in the VGA's BIOS ROM.

As for the first two cards, MDA and CGA, I have heard that they use
the same font.  This I cannot believe because CGA fonts look squashed
due to their text modes' cell size and the MDA was supposed to improve
on this with a larger cell size.  The (IBM) CGA has two fonts, a
single dot font (5x7) and a double dot font (7x7), selected by a dip
switch on the card.  I doubt the single dot font was ever seen after
the CGA card.

Also, the PC BIOS also had bitmap patterns of some characters, the
standard 128 ASCII characters in a 7x7 font size.  This is the double
dot font normally used in CGA text modes.  So, the 4KB of character
ROM in a CGA card contains 512 characters, 256 patterns each for the
single and double dot fonts.  I suppose the duplication in the BIOS of
the lower 128 double dot font ASCII patterns was to standardize the
display for non-IBM display adapters.

As for the later fonts, cards often like to shed a few.  But an IBM
VGA card should have fonts in its ROM for the 8x14, the 8x16, the 8x8,
and the 9x16 (the default) cell sizes, since the VGA BIOS lists all of
them.  Perhaps IBM used the same font for the 9x14 and 9x16 cell sizes
because they use the same mode?

So, how many unique fonts did IBM use for its early graphic adapters?
0
great_hierophant
8/7/2003 8:16:32 AM
comp.fonts 4590 articles. 0 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

great_hierophant@hotmail.com (Great Hierophant) wrote in message news:<9745d197.0308070016.49237366@posting.google.com>...
> I am interested to know what is contained in IBM's display adapter's
> ROMs.  More specifically, IBM released 4 major display adapters that
> were widely cloned, the MDA, the CGA, the EGA, and the VGA.  Each
> adapter has its own cell sizes in its text modes:
> MDA:  9x14
> CGA:  8x8
> EGA:  8x14
> MCGA: 8x16
> VGA:  9x16
>
> The EGA supports the text modes of CGA and MDA, the MCGA supports EGA,
> CGA, and MDA, the VGA supports MCGA, EGA, CGA, and MDA.  This means
> that up to five fonts need to be stored in the VGA's BIOS ROM.
>
> As for the first two cards, MDA and CGA, I have heard that they use
> the same font.  This I cannot believe because CGA fonts look squashed
> due to their text modes' cell size and the MDA was supposed to improve
> on this with a larger cell size.  The (IBM) CGA has two fonts, a
> single dot font (5x7) and a double dot font (7x7), selected by a dip
> switch on the card.  I doubt the single dot font was ever seen after
> the CGA card.
>
> Also, the PC BIOS also had bitmap patterns of some characters, the
> standard 128 ASCII characters in a 7x7 font size.  This is the double
> dot font normally used in CGA text modes.  So, the 4KB of character
> ROM in a CGA card contains 512 characters, 256 patterns each for the
> single and double dot fonts.  I suppose the duplication in the BIOS of
> the lower 128 double dot font ASCII patterns was to standardize the
> display for non-IBM display adapters.

The MDA and CGA cards do not use the same font.  I have confirmed this
by looking at their character roms.  The MDA uses a 7x9 font, with
each character formed by 16 bytes.  The first 8 bytes specify the top
8 lines of the letter.  The second 8 bytes specify the bottom 6 lines,
with an unused byte and an identifier byte.  The first half of the
character is stored in the first 2KB of the ROM, the last half is
stored in the last 2KB of the ROM.  The letter "A", ASCII 41h, looks
like this:

208h,A08h MDA 7X9
00000000 00
00000000 00
00001000 08
00011100 1C
00110110 36
01100011 63
01100011 63
01111111 7F
01100011 63
01100011 63
01100011 63
00000000 00
00000000 00
00000000 00
00000000 00- undisplayed
01000001 41- unused

For the CGA character set, there are two character sets.  The first
set is located in the first 2KB of the ROM, the second set in the last
2KB of the ROM.  The first set is the double dot 7x7 font, the second
set the single dot 5x7 font.  Here is a sample of each:

208 CGA 7x7 (double dot)
00110000 30
01111000 78
11001100 CC
11001100 CC
11111100 FC
11001100 CC
11001100 CC
00000000 00

A08 CGA 5X7 (single dot)
00100000 20
01010000 50
10001000 88
10001000 88
11111000 F8
10001000 88
10001000 88
00000000 00

I think the double dot CGA font was more popular and widely used.
Now, all I have to do is to find out about the EGA, MCGA, and VGA
fonts.

GH
0
great_hierophant
8/8/2003 12:22:45 AM
great_hierophant@hotmail.com (Great Hierophant) wrote in message news:<9745d197.0308071622.1599fefe@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
> set the single dot 5x7 font.  Here is a sample of each:
>
> 208 CGA 7x7 (double dot)
> 00110000 30
> 01111000 78
> 11001100 CC
> 11001100 CC
> 11111100 FC
> 11001100 CC
> 11001100 CC
> 00000000 00
>
> A08 CGA 5X7 (single dot)
> 00100000 20
> 01010000 50
> 10001000 88
> 10001000 88
> 11111000 F8
> 10001000 88
> 10001000 88
> 00000000 00
>
> I think the double dot CGA font was more popular and widely used.
> Now, all I have to do is to find out about the EGA, MCGA, and VGA

Here is the skinny on the later fonts.  The EGA uses the same font as
the MDA.  The MCGA and VGA use the same new font, with letters in a
7x10 matrix.  These letters are extremely close to the MDA/EGA fonts,
usually with an extra line added to each letter.  (MDA/EGA usually
adds an extra two lines to each CGA letter.)  If the column width is 8
pixels, the letter will look normal.  If the width is 9 pixels, then
the extra pixel column will duplicate whatever is in the 8th pixel
column.

GH
0
great_hierophant

Font Book
I am running OS X 10.4.2 server and trying to utilize the nework font feature within Font Book. I setup the shared library on the server and the needed Fonts folder which is mounting to the client correctly under /Network/Library/Fonts but within Font Book the Network is listed but as "Off" and no matter what I do it will not enable. Any thoughts would be great... I figured this out, when creating a shared library in 10.4 server the name of the share has to be Library with the correct permissions, you can put it in a sub directory but need the Library name to mount correctly on the...

Display Matlab messages when the function is called by Labview via Matlab script
I use Labview (version 6.1) to send variables to Matlab (version 7.0.4) via Matlab script and&nbsp;I would like to display some message on the command window of Matlab. The messages are displayed&nbsp;when I call my Matlab function from the command window of Matlab but not when&nbsp;the&nbsp;function is called&nbsp;from Labview. &nbsp; Do you have any idea how to solve this problem ? &nbsp; Regards, &nbsp; Julien. ...

Recognizing CD-ROM drive
I boot the machine from a cold start, i.e. powered off and it does not mount the CD-ROM drive. When doing cat /etc/mtab or cat /etc/fstab the drive does not show. When executing "packman" it gives messages: At-D2 controller not ready At-D2 controller not ready mount: can't mount /dev/c0d2p2 on /mnt: Invalid argument CD - mount failed Then did a shutdown and at the boot prompt d0p1s0 type exit and the machine rebbots without powering off. Check /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab and no cdrom. Now I excute packman and it mounts the cd-rom with message: dev/c0d2p2 as read only on /mnt No...

Re: Displaying decimals
You must tell Mathematica that these are extra-precision numbers: slope[x_]:=160.245051009838`15 + 0.05888359189242`15 * x In[48]:= slope[50] Out[48]= 163.189230604459 ...

For Sale: Sega Genesis To C64/Amiga Joypad Adapter
The Sega Genesis joypad is a cool controller but, as known, it damages your Commodore 64 or your Amiga. INTRODUCTION: A standard DB9 joystick has one pin for each function (Up/Down/Left/Right/Fire). When you press fire or move the joystick, it simply makes a contact between the related pin and ground. When it comes to Sega joypads, instead, there is a chip inside the controller which makes possible to use more than two fire buttons and send a signal which is different and "stronger" than the one which a Commodore 64, or an Amiga, is designed for. Several users strai...

pdf995 and embedded fonts
I recently installed pdf995 in order to save documents to PDF format using Corel Wordperfect 8. I keep reading that I should use embedded fonts when saving a file using the pdf995 printer driver in order to make sure that the document remains the same when read by someone else, but I have searched and searched -- as yet I have found no instructions as to how to embed fonts using this driver. The description states that the program has "configurable font embedding", but so far I have found no instructions as to how access this feature or use it. Everything I read seems to assume that...

FA: 23 IBM Games - Last 24-Hours on some
*** ONLY 24-48 HOURS LEFT ON IBM GAMES SHOWN BELOW *** Have lots of RPG, Adventure, and Classic IBM compatible Games up for Auction on Ebay with NO Reserve and Low Starting Bids. Lots of great clear pictures. To check them out, please click on the URL below: http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=downeasttreasures The Games are: IBM GAMES ENDING IN THAN 24-HOURS: ================================== IBM PC CD Adven Game AMAZON GUARDIANS OF EDEN -Complete IBM PC CD Game BARBIE SCREEN STYLER by Mattel - NEW IBM PC Adventure Game CORSAIRS: CONQUEST AT SE...

How to see font map?
For developing my font conversion program, I need to know which ascii code (0-255) is giving which character of that font. I define the code in a column of MS excel XP worksheet, and in next column I set =char(code), and set the font of this column to my trial font. Now, indic characters are having ligatures which go before, after, above, below the actual letter, thus, sometime the ligature goes beyond the visible limit of excel cell, thus I am not able to see it. I need to add space etc before/ after the letter, but that creates different problems. Could someone please suggest some simple...

Trying to find Neville Brody font
Hello there I've recently been reading Neville Brody graphic design book, and I'm trying to locate a font that he uses all the time. Check: http://www.raimundspiele.at/icons/Logo_ORF_NOE.jpg It looks very like Insignia but without the little tails (on the A for example) check: http://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.fontdisplay&packagefontid=0&displayfontid=LH.108004.0.1&view=single&searchID=122&searchby=designer&searchletter=A&searchstr=&totalrecords=16&startrow=1&records=20&currpage=1 And not unlike FF Typeface 6 or 7, but ...

how to add chinese font in the 'xyouts' procedure
Hi,all when I create a contour plot, I need to use 'xyouts' procedure to add a title for my plot map. in the xyouts procedure, I want to use the chinese charactor as the value of the 'string' argument. but the chinese charactor can't be displayed correctly. so anyone can tell my what is wrong? very strange, if i input 'print xxx' in the command line in IDL(XXX present chinese charactor), it will be diaplay correct. so I don't understand why in the procedure 'XYOUTS' it can't by the way, I ever search 'xyouts' in the forum, someone said ca...

Hey DFS...Ask Kohlmann to explain this one (was fonts...)
Over here he accuses you of rigging the screenshots by turning of anti-aliasing: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/82e012c465a663cf "You mean, you deliberately selected different fonts/fontsizes? And deselected Anti-aliasing too for KDE? Figures, after all you are one of the most dishonest widiots around here" Yet over here, he claims anti-aliasing has no effect on screen shots: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/628d7bbe0fe46061 " BTW, it is so simple to test for yourself. Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasi...

Font in code
Hi, I was wondering if there is way use a font that is somehow kept in the code instead of having to load it? I am working on a single script that so far can produce images and html but I have not been able to figure out a way that it can also produce a font. Thanks Carl http://www.gaihosa.com carlbernardi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering if there is way use a font that is somehow kept in the > code instead of having to load it? I am working on a single script > that so far can produce images and html but I have not been able to > figure out a way that it ca...

Issue on using the psnfss package to substitute the default CM fonts.
Dear all, I want to use the psnfss package to substitute the default CM fonts in my thesis. In the cls file used by me, I defined the following codes: ----------------- \newif\if@psnfss \@psnfssfalse \newif\if@typeicm \@typeicmtrue \newif\if@mathpazo \@mathpazofalse \newif\if@mathptmx \@mathptmxfalse \DeclareOption{psnfss} {\@psnfsstrue\@typeicmfalse} \DeclareOption{mathpazo} {\@psnfsstrue\@mathpazotrue\@mathptmxfalse} \DeclareOption{mathptmx} {\@psnfsstrue\@mathptmxtrue\@mathpazofalse} \DeclareOption{notype1cm} {\@typeicmfalse} [snip] \ProcessOptions \if@psnfss \RequirePackage[T1]...

History repeats itself: IBM vs Apple then, iPhone vs Android now
<http://androidosplatform.com/tag/homebuilt/> "Clavicus Vile" <clavicus.vile@oblivion.org> wrote in message news:ijmluj$e9i$1@news.albasani.net... > <http://androidosplatform.com/tag/homebuilt/> > > Maybe, maybe not. A more favorable parallel would be to equate Apple iPhone with the Apple II back in the early 1980s. Android might play the part of Tandy/Radio Shack, trying to unhorse Apple with its TRS-80 series. But along came IBM, partnered with Microsoft, to grab the market and redefine user expectations. Today we have Nokia partnering wi...

fonts funny
When I tried to load NetSurf 2.1 the other day I got an error about Unicode (and no application - had to revert to 2.0 temporarily). John-Mark Bell identified the fault as a corrupt font file (Sassoon). I found the original file and replaced the corrupt one, and all is well with Netsurf. The font in question was one of a set distributed along with a much earlier version of NetSurf (September 2006). It came with several others, including 'small caps' fonts (but no others) for the Acorn standards: Corpus, Homerton and Trinity. When I replaced Sassoon I added all the others to !F...

How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python?
How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python? Need a simple script for Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.. Or using wxPython. I can't seem to find anything that works, and I don't want to hard-code paths. On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Metallicow <metaliobovinus@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python? > > Need a simple script for > Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.. > > Or using wxPython. > > I can't seem to find anything that works, and I don't want to hard-code paths. &...

How do you I use GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts for part of my article while keeping the default CM fonts for the rest.
I cannot figure out how use the default article CM fonts everywhere except a few places. Example: I want to use GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts for special symbols "\pi" and text "x" I want the "The quick.... special symbols" part to be in the normal, default font but in this article everything is in GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{gfsartemisia-euler} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \myPiSymbol{\ensuremath{\pi}} \myTextx{\text{x}} \begin{document} The quick brown dogs jumps over the lazy fox. Here are my...

FS: TOP Speed FAMILY Racing GAME CD-ROM #4
Interested in the Item See link for details: http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?query=family+friendly&srchdesc=y&sid=20887405&store=seals4-deals&colorid=10&fp=0&st=2&fsoo=1&fsop=1&submit=Search We give you MORE than others with FAST efficient despatch and FREE postal insurance. With OUR Full Money back guarantee for faulty software including the cost of returning the item. Visit our store to see our feedback, we have thousands of satisfied customers Find this and more at our fully searchable EBAY shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/seals...

where are the fonts ?
I am running Thunderbird 1.5 (Tb) on Fedora Core 4. When I open an html message in Tb, it (apparently) defaults to the default font. I am not even certain what the default is. The exception is arial. If I set the font to arial <font face=arial> Then it looks like arial. I can guess that html cannot find other fonts and defaults to something. I am not sure what something is. But when I search my HDD, I find lots of other fonts. So I am guessing that html cannot find them. So my questions: 1.Is there a way to tell what fonts I have that are accessible to html? Some com...

netboot different behavior on ROM 01 and 03 GS
I'm not terribly IIgs savvy, but after getting a //e to work with an AppleShare server (either netatalk or AppleShare 3.0), I wanted to try a IIgs. I have two of them, one a ROM 01 (which, until I get more than 512 MB RAM for it, is effectively unusable), and one an 03. Neither have any cards in them or mods. I also only have 800K floppy drives. Long story short: In Sweet16, I made used the installer disks to create a disk image with a complete system. I brought it over to Mac OS 7.6.1, mounted it (via the ProDOS File System extension), and from there copied its contents to the l...

Can't open font FixedWidthFont; using default
Hello, I am running IRIX 6.5.22 on an o2 and have a little problem with font, I don't know how I managed to do that (I didn't change much) I just know that I was in the "Customize" menu of the toolchest. But now the problem is that in the menus (and only the menus) I have bigger font and in BOLD, it looks quite ugly to me and would really like to go back to the default font/boldness/thickness but I don't know how this happened really. Since then when I logout/login again I can see the following error message in the console: Can't open font FixedWidthFont; usi...

batch mode and display related stuff
How does one batch compile .el files that need (or use) X11 display related stuff? Those functions/values seem to not exist (maybe obviously) in batch mode. E.g. the new mh-e uses (device-color-cells) which, on a xterm/X11 session, yields 256, but over a putty terminal or under batch mode yields nil, resulting in a "Wrong type argument ((number-char-or-marker-p nil))" error message. It seems that the same or similar stuff batch compiles fine under regular emacs. -- HASM ...

ROM 2.01-2
Well, even if 55 and TANTAN are now troubling me the cursor keys now work flawlessly I'm beginning to think that the keys are of low quality in a cerrtain sense (among all other things, like being fragile) the keys are inconsistent all over the keyboard that is they react diifferently, the Standard Deviation is too great thus *NO SOFTWARE EVER* can fix this device Happy bug hunting Cyrille, Hydrix folks and Kinpo people You will never find the software to satisfy the customers as far you are using the worst keyboard EEEEEEE E E EEEEE E E EEEEEEE VVVVVVV ERR in computing device or any...

Japanese font?
I need to set a few words in Japanese for some publicity material I am doing. The problem is in two parts! I'm getting someone to do the translation for me (ten words in total: "Location Works, the UK's premier location company and location library"), hopefully that bit will be easy. Then I need to incorporate that text into an ArtWorks file. Is there a Kanji font available in RISC OS? I couldn't see one on www.fonts.iconbar.com Can anyone advise? (Incidentally, I posted an enquiry to James Byrne <jbyrnew@netscape.net> who apparently - according to Google groups...

This is Crazy...!!! re: HP48 Font for Macintosh
i used to have one of these, and i'm sure that it was on the Goodies Disk(s) But i can't find it now...??? i've looked all over on the internet, and it seems to have gone away...??? Actually; The font can work on either Wintel or Macintosh Platforms ( i have a translator ) But it's totally Kooky that i can't find it...??? --- i did find a HUGE collection of fonts on HP48.org (???) and they seemed to be in the right format, but my OSX insisted that they were all corrupted...???!!! ( ??? ) [ !!! ] Thanx! TranslucentAmoebae wrote: > i did find a HUGE collection of fonts o...