Help identifying Roman font

Hi all,

I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any
help.  It is shown in the GIF image at
http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif
alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX.  Note
the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679..

In fact I generated the image, but the unknown font is an automatic
substitute for the intended font (which I don't have), and *I want to
know what this substitute font is*.  I have spent some time and could
not track it down anywhere on my computer, nor extract it from
configuration files.  I searched online font libraries with no luck,
and whatthefont.com and identifont.com don't get it right.

I think it must be some very basic Postscript Times Roman font, since
it was substituted for a font named 'Times-Roman' within an EPS figure,
whereas I have no font of such name installed.

Many thanks for any positive IDs,

Milos

0
milos (16)
3/28/2006 9:34:32 AM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1143538472.163209.37080@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Milos" <milos@mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any
> help.  It is shown in the GIF image at
> http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif
> alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX.  Note
> the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679..
>
> In fact I generated the image, but the unknown font is an automatic
> substitute for the intended font (which I don't have), and *I want to
> know what this substitute font is*.  I have spent some time and could
> not track it down anywhere on my computer, nor extract it from
> configuration files.  I searched online font libraries with no luck,
> and whatthefont.com and identifont.com don't get it right.
>
> I think it must be some very basic Postscript Times Roman font, since
> it was substituted for a font named 'Times-Roman' within an EPS figure,
> whereas I have no font of such name installed.
>
> Many thanks for any positive IDs,
>
> Milos

To my eyes, this appears to be an instance of Adobe Serif MM, which is
used by ATM as a substitute for missing serifed faces.

Andr�

--
Andr� G. Isaak
n.b. there are no monotremes in my email address
| In article <1143538472.163209.37080@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
|  "Milos" <milos@mit.edu> wrote:
|
| > Hi all,
| >
| > I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any
| > help.  It is shown in the GIF image at
| > http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif
| > alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX.  Note
| > the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679..

| To my eyes, this appears to be an instance of Adobe Serif MM, which is
| used by ATM as a substitute for missing serifed faces.
|
| Andr�

Ditto. You should be able to find it on your system buried in the
directories created by an Acrobat installation, usually in a
subdirectory named "Resource". On Linux systems, if memory serves,
it will be named AdobeSansMM.pfb. On some other systems
it may be named ZX______.PFB.

--
Mark Roberts |"Weblogs, the toilet walls of the internet. (What on earth
Oakland, Cal.| gives every computer owner the right to exude their opinion,

Mark Roberts <markrobt@myrealbox.com> had written:
| Andr� G. Isaak <agisaak@gmail.platypus.com> had written:
| | In article <1143538472.163209.37080@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
| |  "Milos" <milos@mit.edu> wrote:
| |
| | > Hi all,
| | >
| | > I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any
| | > help.  It is shown in the GIF image at
| | > http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif
| | > alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX.  Note
| | > the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679..

| |
| | To my eyes, this appears to be an instance of Adobe Serif MM, which is
| | used by ATM as a substitute for missing serifed faces.
| |
| | Andr�
|
| Ditto. You should be able to find it on your system buried in the
| directories created by an Acrobat installation, usually in a
| subdirectory named "Resource". On Linux systems, if memory serves,
| it will be named AdobeSansMM.pfb. On some other systems
| it may be named ZX______.PFB.

CORRECTION: AdobeSerifMM.pfb -- or on some systems (such as WinXP)
ZY______.PFB.

--
Mark Roberts |"Weblogs, the toilet walls of the internet. (What on earth
Oakland, Cal.| gives every computer owner the right to exude their opinion,
NO HTML MAIL | unasked for?....)" -- Jean-Remy von Matt (who since apologized)
Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.
0
markrobt
3/28/2006 5:13:55 PM
Andr=E9 G. Isaak wrote:
> To my eyes, this appears to be an instance of Adobe Serif MM, which is
used by ATM as a substitute for missing serifed faces.

Thanks a lot!  It looks to me that you are right.  Now, the problem is
that I want to use this font "on purpose", but that seems impossible.

>From reading forums, it appears you cannot use Adobe Serif MM "on
purpose", because it's some kind of internal substitution font, is used
only when the intended font is missing and shows up nowhere in the
system.  Is there a remedy to this?  I know the file is
"zy______.pfb".. e.g. to use some kind of font editor to import, set a
particular MM width, etc, and save/convert to TrueType output as a
copy, etc?  Is there a "real" font that Adobe Serif MM matches at least
at some width setting?  (see the '2' digit -- it doesn't look like any
Times New Roman font)

Thanks again,

Milos

0
Milos
3/28/2006 5:27:55 PM
In article <1143566875.650002.276960@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Milos" <milos@mit.edu> wrote:

> Andr� G. Isaak wrote:
> > To my eyes, this appears to be an instance of Adobe Serif MM, which is
> used by ATM as a substitute for missing serifed faces.
>

> Thanks a lot!  It looks to me that you are right.  Now, the problem is
> that I want to use this font "on purpose", but that seems impossible.

It doesn't show up on font lists when installed (at least not on MacOS
-- YMMV). I suspect that if you wanted to use it deliberately, you'd
probably have to export an instance under a new name using FontLab or
Fog.

Andr�

--
Andr� G. Isaak
n.b. there are no monotremes in my email address
0
Andr

What the font? -- Help identifying font, please.
I got very helpful responses for my last response; and thank you for that. There were two fonts I (of WhatTheFont) could not figure out. Here are the linkes: http://coolauthority.com/among.jpg; http://coolauthority.com/earnings.jpg. These are fonts used by the IBD, Link to a PDF document: http://www.investors.com/eibdoffer/eibdsample.pdf. Your help will be appreciated. Also, does anyone know what font(s) the Wall Street Journal uses, because I couldn't find a PDF version. Thank you ... for all your help. falakshah[no-*-spam]@yahoo.com Please remove the "[no-*-spam]" part. huh....

Plz help identify this font
Thank you! ...

font installation -- only roman font available
I installed an OT font using autoinst, moved all the .fd and .sty files to the appropriate places, and texhashed (I was guessing about that last bit, but I read that I was supposed to 'update the database' and it looked like I was supposed to use texhash). When I invoke the font family with \usepackage{}, I get the standard Roman type, but not italics or small caps. I haven't tried any other fancy stuff, so I don't know whether old-style figures or swashes, e.g., are available. Where should I look for the problem? and what should I try when I find it? Thanks in advance -- On Sep 12, 2:54 am, J Hill <antiq...@gmail.com> wrote: > Where should I look for the problem? and what should I try when I find > it? You could start by giving more details about what's going wrong. Please send a mail to autoinst's maintainer (me) containing: - autoinst's log: autoinst --verbose (..other options and files..) >autoinst.log 2>&1 - a *minimal* example of a document showing italics and/or small caps not working. Marc ...

Help with identifying font
Hi! Does anyone know which font was used in this logo? <http://www.commed-web.de/images/header_index.gif> I already tried Identifont, but came up with nothing. Regards, Joachim On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:26:27 +0100, Joachim Ziebs wrote: > Does anyone know which font was used in this logo? > <http://www.commed-web.de/images/header_index.gif> It looks like Trebuchet MS. -- a|k Back to you, Dave. Hi Alan! alan kalter wrote: > It looks like Trebuchet MS. Thank you! Regards, Joachim ...

Help me identifying this font
hello could any1 identify this font for me? http://wtf2.myfonts.com/uploads/images/0e/0e4130e8edb8e81f6a016aede60dfd7e.40253.jpeg thnx On Feb 10, 8:42=A0am, szela...@o2.pl wrote: > hello > could any1 identify this font for me?http://wtf2.myfonts.com/uploads/image= s/0e/0e4130e8edb8e81f6a016aede60... > thnx ----------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----------------------------------- Maybe these will help... http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ http://www.identifont.com/index.html Bill On 12 Lut, 04:05, Bill <BillsRREmp...@gmail.com> wro...

help identify this font
Any one know if the font used in the logo for this lodge is an available font or not? http://www.whistlinjacklodge.com/ In article <nd2dnWnIvvjR8J_fRVn-ig@yvn.com>, Ohanapecosh <rainier@cascades.com> wrote: >Any one know if the font used in the logo for this lodge is an available >font or not? > >http://www.whistlinjacklodge.com/ The HTML implies that Five K Computers http://www.fivek.com/index.cfm designed and/or runs the site. Why not e-mail 'em and ask? -- -- Rod -- rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com "Rod Dorman" <rodd@panix.com> wrote i...

help to identify font
Hello all, can you help me to find which font is this: http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=immaginefk9.jpg thank Dade ...

Help identifying this font
Hello all, I am looking for help in identifying this font. http://animated-views.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/robinsons-11.JPG It's not anna http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=417603&grab_id=0&page_id=5499&query=anna&SCOPE=Fonts nor Huxly http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=405776&grab_id=0&page_id=2518&query=Huxley%20Vertical&SCOPE=Fonts Huxly appears close, but the S and the Y are dead giveaways. Thanks for any assistance. On 8/20/2008 12:28 PM, James wrote: > Hello all, > > I am looking for help in identifying this font. > > http://animated-views.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/robinsons-11.JPG > > It's not anna > http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=417603&grab_id=0&page_id=5499&query=anna&SCOPE=Fonts > > nor Huxly > http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=405776&grab_id=0&page_id=2518&query=Huxley%20Vertical&SCOPE=Fonts > > Huxly appears close, but the S and the Y are dead giveaways. > > Thanks for any assistance. It appears to be some kind of Bauhaus font. Michael Yanega at <http://bowfinprintworks.com/index.html> classifies this as oblong Bauhaus. Phenix American at <http://bowfinprintworks.com/BauhausFaces4.html> (about 2/3 down the page) looks very much like this but with some differences. As with Huxly, the S for Phenix American does not match your sample; but the Phenix American Y is c...

Help on Identifying a font.
Hi. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what is this font. Thanks http://www.mxlinfo.com/expodium.jpg for limiting concentration of political power and for keeping those who do have political power in line by publicly exposing any misbehavior on their part. But freedom of the press is of very little use to the average citizen as an individual. The mass media are mostly under the control of large organizations that are integrated into the system. Anyone who has a little money can have something printed, or can distribute it on the Internet or in some such way, but ...

Help Identifying a Font!
Can anyone identify the font used for this "name". http://www.gdcgraphics.com/font Any help would be greatly appreciated! There's a G-Mail account in it for the first one to help me identify it! Cougster In article <d728e6bd.0409222006.44d535b5@posting.google.com>, cougster@gmail.com (Cougster) wrote: > http://www.gdcgraphics.com/font A heavily customized version of 'Serpentine' (http://tinyurl.com/6hxe7). The Font has been condensed somewhat , and the three-D effect is not a part of the font. The jagged edges are a side effect of using a 'paint...

Help identifying font...
Can anyone help me identify the font on these websites: www.smc-biler.dk, www.smc.dk It is the font they ude for writing "SMC:BILER" or "SEMLER" that I would like to know... Thanks S�ren ...

Again help identifying a font...
hey everyone, I keep trying to use identifont or whatthefont but things don't seem to ever turn out quite right. Maybe i'm using some wrong identifiers or something. Anyway, can someone help me identify this font http://www.jadehorizon.net/_private/fencing.jpg I need it to match a client's artwork. Thanks! -Brandon GoudySans MD BT Mugge <aperture01@mail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:1124824370.942678.162400@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > hey everyone, > > I keep trying to use identifont or whatthefont but things don't seem to > ever turn out quit...

Help identify this font.
You guys are usually pretty good at this. Does anyone know what the name of this font is. I need it for a client. Here is the link. http://www.jadehorizon.net/_private/quality.jpg Thanks in advance! -Brandon aperture01@mail.com wrote: > You guys are usually pretty good at this. Does anyone know what the > name of this font is. I need it for a client. Here is the link. > > http://www.jadehorizon.net/_private/quality.jpg "Berthold Bellevue". Found with the help of identifont.com. Ralf ...

help identify font
Hi, i can't find this font: http://www.monkeyfaces.net/tvr.jpg i tried a search by sight, but i had no right result. Can you help me please? Thanks Scripsit Giorgio (dac@sa.it) > Hi, > i can't find this font: http://www.monkeyfaces.net/tvr.jpg > i tried a search by sight, but i had no right result. > Can you help me please? Probably not a font. The "R" is based on Eras Bold or Black. The rest ist some standard Sans font. Andreas ...

Help me identify this font
Hello, please identify this font http://www.whisky.com.gr/images/logo.gif On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:20:24 +0300, Arachnopolis wrote: > please identify this font http://www.whisky.com.gr/images/logo.gif "Whisky": Mistral (or one of its clones). -- a|k Back to you, Dave. alan kalter wrote: > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:20:24 +0300, Arachnopolis wrote: > > >>please identify this font http://www.whisky.com.gr/images/logo.gif > > > "Whisky": Mistral (or one of its clones). > thanks what about the other font (shop) Arachnopolis: > thanks what ...

Need help identifying a font.
I need help identifying a font. Can some help me? Email me at john@engraveditems.com and I will send a picture. Odysseus wrote: <snipped> > There are also "binaries" groups, which allow file attachments: > alt.binaries.fonts & alt.binaries.fonts.identify are likely the best for > the purpose. The OP posted via Google groups, which does NOT support any binaries groups or attachments. That's the first thing I looked for, and why I suggested posting a link to an image. > Bitstream's myfonts.com site has a "What the Font" section to which one > can post images, either to try and identify with their image-recognition > software, or in their forum where human assistance is available: > > http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ A valuable resource, but unless the image is both good and meets Myfonts' limitations as to size and connectivity, I hesitate to suggest it to first-time requestors. It can be very frustrating! I did forget to suggest Identifont, which Paul Bartlett did. - Character John Martelle wrote: > I need help identifying a font. Can some help me? Email me at > john@engraveditems.com and I will send a picture. > For many reasons, personal emails and email addresses are avoided in public newsgroups. If you could post the image to a website and provide a link here; I'm sure that someone could help you. - Character On Sat, 5 Mar 2011, John...

Help identify this font please?
Can anyone please help identify this font? http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/527/textgx3.jpg Thanks. > Can anyone please help identify this font? > > http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/527/textgx3.jpg Meta, probably Medium. http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-meta/ Jukka ...

Please help me identifying font
Hello, I don't often work with logo fonts, and so I'd appreciate very much if you help me to identify this font that I'm yet looking for it: http://utenti.lycos.it/web2world/font_sample.gif unfortunately I'm crawling the web without lucky strike (perhaps because I smoke only PM cigarettes ;) ) and I can't contact the artist logo maker because is only a gif that was sent by email without any useful reference. Thanks in advance, Best Regards. F/up to comp.fonts -- John Alvaro Smith John Alvaro Smith (jas) <nospamaddress@despammed.com> wrote: > http://u...

Need help identifying font...
Can anyone help me identify the font used here: www.ide-sign.dk/images/H.jpg and www.ide-sign.dk/images/T.jpg ? I have already tried WhatTheFont without luck... Best regards S�ren Johansen "SFJ" <info@ide-sign.dk> wrote > Can anyone help me identify the font used here: > www.ide-sign.dk/images/H.jpg and www.ide-sign.dk/images/T.jpg ? >=20 > I have already tried WhatTheFont without luck... The font is Shelley Allegro Script. HTH Andreas >The font is Shelley Allegro Script. Thanks Andreas... It sure comes close, but not exactly? Never mind - it's ...

Need help in Identifying a font
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a font. I have 2 examples: http://www.geocities.com/qa_dlc http://www-fp.ablongman.com/bigcovers/0321127269.jpg (book title) I have a project that I am doing, and am interested in using this font if possible. Thank you very much for your assistance. Have a nice day. Andrew In data 12 gennaio 2004, Andrew S. ha scritto: > I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a font. > http://www-fp.ablongman.com/bigcovers/0321127269.jpg > (book title) It's Modula Sans Black. -- antofa When was it killed the very last d...

Please help me identify this font
http://freeweb.optinet.hr/~kberica1/fnt.jpg I think it's quite popular one. Thank you Hvala On 6/13/2008 8:50 AM, Sim wrote: > http://freeweb.optinet.hr/~kberica1/fnt.jpg > > I think it's quite popular one. > Thank you > Hvala > > I see at least three different fonts. Which one do you want identified? By the way, did you ask the restaurant about who did their sign? -- David Ross <http://www.rossde.com/> Have you been using Netscape and now feel abandoned by AOL? Then use SeaMonkey. Go to <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/>. Sim wrote: > http://freeweb.optinet.hr/~kberica1/fnt.jpg > > I think it's quite popular one. > Thank you > Hvala > > http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ Nachricht von Sim: > http://freeweb.optinet.hr/~kberica1/fnt.jpg Nice photo. > I think it's quite popular one. What? > Thank you > Hvala YW, but what was your question? OIC you forgot to write what you want. It's only in the subject line. Not very polite way to ask. LET Pablo tell you what it is. Andreas "Prekoploti�" <viceviMAKNI@gmail.com> wrote in message news:g312du$mr0 >> >> > http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ Nije lo� ovaj whatthefont, ali nije prepoznao font koji meni treba, a to je: http://adriananautica.hr/ font kojim je napisan logotip firme Mozete li mi pomoci? On Jun 13, 11:50=A0am, "Sim" <napusenalud...@net.hr> wrote: &g...

Please Help Identify A Font
Hi All, I am trying to identify and recover a font I used for my watermark on a few photos. A sample of the font is shown here - http://www.lucanos.com/LUCANOS.jpg I have tried running it through WhatTheFont and IdentiFont, but no luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank You Luke On Oct 19, 1:01 am, luca...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > > I am trying to identify and recover a font I used for my watermark on a > few photos. > A sample of the font is shown here -http://www.lucanos.com/LUCANOS.jpg > > I have tried running it through WhatTheFont and Ident...

Identifying a font
I'm trying to identify the font used in this webpage: http://www.powerlog.it/ can anyone help me? Thanks "Il Photografo" <ilphotografo@yahoo.it> wrote: > I'm trying to identify the font used in this webpage: >=20 > http://www.powerlog.it/ >=20 > can anyone help me? I think it's Gill Sans Bold. ;-) (IMHO the text saying PowerLoG is probably not a font) Andreas *Il Photografo* was compelled to spew forth, on 1/04/2007 11:26 PM the following: > I'm trying to identify the font used in this webpage: > > http://www.powerlog.it/ > > can anyone help me? > > Thanks > > Gill Sans bold. N/P -- EotS I see you shiver with anticipation! >> >> > Gill Sans bold. > I'm looking for the font in the text "powerlog"...are you sure it's Gill Sans bold??? *Il Photografo* was compelled to spew forth, on 2/04/2007 5:54 PM the following: >>> >> Gill Sans bold. >> > > > I'm looking for the font in the text "powerlog"...are you sure it's Gill > Sans bold??? > > No that is not Gill Sans Bold. It's icky! -- EotS I see you shiver with anticipation! ...

Need help to identify this font
http://www.elpasotexas.gov/_template1/eplogogif4.gif It looks like a Calligraphy type font. Does anyone know what font type this is? Thanks, S SuperGenio wrote: > It looks like a Calligraphy type font. Does anyone know what font > type this is? I'd almost bet $1000 that it is not a font. -- Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltrebing@ltrebing.de ...

Web resources about - Help identifying Roman font - comp.fonts

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners ...
Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners Jeff Novick, MS, RD Many people ...

fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On
fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On

FREE Creative Commons Macro Fingerprints Identifying Lines and Swirls - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Want to know more about me? Visit my official website www.PinkSherbet.com! free for use My photos that have a creative commons license and are ...

ViralSearch: Identifying and Visualizing Viral Content - YouTube
What does it mean for online content to "go viral"? An analysis of almost a billion information cascades on Twitter news, videos, and photos ...

Do you know this tattoo? Police want help identifying critically injured cyclist
Police have released photos of a man's tattoo in attempt to discover the identity of a cyclist critically injured in Ballarat on Monday night. ...

Pokies players have trouble identifying addiction warning signs
Regular players of the pokies find it difficult to identify early warning signs that they are addicted, according to a study published on Monday. ...

Police appeal for help identifying driver
Police are appealing for public help in identifying the driver of a car involved in an incident in Canberra earlier this week.

UK close to identifying Foley killer
Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a former rapper from London, is suspected to be the Briton who murdered US journalist James Foley.