Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac)

Hello,

I today found out how to use input of japanese
symbols on the Mac OS-X.
It's nice and easy, but the TextEditor does not save
in formats I'm looking for.

Useful would be either UTF-8, or (what I'm looking
for especially) SJS.
The latter is a format that is used in Japan and
pTeX also can read SJS-encoded japanese fonts.
pTeX is a certain TeX-variant, that is used especially in
japan.

What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used
to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an
save them in different font formats,
or a program that can convert from one font-encoding
to another encoding.

The "convert" program (the user-cli-interface of ImageMagick
can a lot, but is specialized on grapfical fileformats and can't
convert fonts/texts.

Is there such a converter program, or an editor that can be used?
(There is a Program called JWPce, but it's only running on WinCE).

Even a hint to convert one font into another (are there
encoding tables?) maybe would help, if it is not
toooo much effort to write a converter by myself....
....but using a ready-to-use solution would be preferred.

Any hint is welcome.

Many Thanks,
     Oliver
0
oliver389 (123)
11/14/2005 11:15:23 PM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

> What I'm looking for is a program that either can be used
> to select japanese fonts from amenue and/or keyboard an
> save them in different font formats,
> or a program that can convert from one font-encoding
> to another encoding.

> Is there such a converter program, or an editor that can be used?
> (There is a Program called JWPce, but it's only running on WinCE).

Take a look at Francois Pinard's Recode utility:

   http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/

It handles over 300 character sets.

BR,

--
Jussi K. Virtanen
0

MAC Fonts/Windows Fonts
Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed the file out and noticed that the font was really "cool," the a was more like an a we write with a c and a line (you know, kinda like we write and NOT the way courier new does). I am trying to figure out: First, does anyone have any idea what font it was? Second, what program do you think I probably used? I think it looks like a TXT file but it is a doc. What is it, just looks really good. Help me our here, please. GNV wrote: > Recently, I was using a Apple MAC and opened a .doc file. I printed > the file out ...

Font and Font CE
In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS 10.2.8) Stefan In article <bp8jas$300$1@newshispeed.ch>, Stefan <stefan@mus._INVALID_.ch> wrote: > In many programs, installed fonts are appearing twice in the font menu, > once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS > 10.2.8) You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the o...

Fonts and/or Font Book
Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder one? -- dorayme In article <doraymeRidThis-9B2294.10351702052007@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>, dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote: > Is there a way to "resolve duplicates" on a machine wide or disk > wide or even folder basis rather than on a particular font folder > one? FontDoctor X -- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher In article <01052007194430...

Mac Fonts ---> PC Fonts
Can anybody tell me, is there a way of recognising fonts that have been converted from Mac to PC, rather than genuinely created specifically for the PC (or indeed the other way around) I realise it is possible when creating typefaces to make TTF, PC Postscript, Mac Postscript (for example in Macromedia Fontographer 4.1) is this the 'Proffessional' way it would be converted for proper commercial typefaces? or is there a more proffessional way. Thanks in advance. Andy > Can anybody tell me, is there a way of recognising fonts that have been > converted from Mac to PC, r...

help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"
Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script. Can someone please educate me? :-) Thanks! set term png set output '| display png:-' # cool trick plot sin(x) with lines Setting the term font does not help: set term png font arial 14 size 800,600 Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation Liberatio...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

WVW Hello world with 2 fonts or 2 font sizes of same font
could anyone write a small Hello World using more then 1 font or more sizes then one. I cant figure this one out. Thanks Yon ...

Mac font via fontographer to pc font
I have Fontographer 4.04 and I run it in Classic on Mac OSX 10.3.3. I have a Mac Postscript font and I have to add an euro character which does not exist in the font. I check out on which decimal character the euro is placed in my other font, and find that decimal 219 is where to place it. I generate at first a new Mac font and it works nice. Then I generate a pc TrueType font and mail the font to the person who needs it. She tells me that the euro exists allright - but on a wrong decimal. She tells me that she needs it to be placed on decimal 128. This however is occupied by (A-umlaut) whe...

PS font or TT fonts? Conversion ok?
I am wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are of using a TT font vs a PS font (on windows primarily). Also, are there any font conversion utilities to convert PS into TT, and if so, are they any good and are there any flaws with converted fonts? thanks in advance. "Dewdman42" <dewdman42@gmail.com> wrote: >I am wondering what the advantages or disadvantages are of using a TT >font vs a PS font (on windows primarily). Should both be fine in Windows 2000 or later, but the game has moved on a little now, and most professional fonts are now sold as OpenType. ...

font method -option font
hi is there a method that checks if a certain widget responds to a certain -option ? or actually my question could also be what is an easy way to change the font in an entire application ? i thought this was where the money was: perl application.pl -font "Monaco 12" but nothing happens , and i haven't mentioned the word -font in application.pl so my questions remain thank you -++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**==--++**== This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. If you wish to unsubscribe from...

Font editor for TTF fonts?
Hi, who can recommend a good TTF font editor for Linux? I didn't find anything which would even remotely do the job. Thanks. -- Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/ On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:43:07 +0000, Cordula's Web wrote: > Hi, > > who can recommend a good TTF font editor for Linux? > I didn't find anything which would even remotely > do the job. > > Thanks. Give PFAEdit a try. It seems to have most (if not all) the function that other software has. http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net/ ...

AutoCAD fonts from Windows/Fonts???
Why does AutoCAD get fonts from Windows\Fonts or WinNT\Fonts when it isn't in my support path? I am using AutoCAD 2006 Land Desktop and in options > Files > Support path Windows\Fonts isn't there and yet the fonts show up, are the fonts set up elsewhere? Thanks for your help, NZ The Windows/Fonts directory is a standard windows thing. You'll find font information in the windows registry, in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts Henrik Vallgren www.streamspace.com nzahedi@gmail.com wrote: > Why does AutoCAD get fonts from Windows\Fonts or WinNT\Fonts when it > isn't in my support path? I am using AutoCAD 2006 Land Desktop and in > options > Files > Support path Windows\Fonts isn't there and yet the > fonts show up, are the fonts set up elsewhere? > > > Thanks for your help, > NZ > On 29 Mar 2006 10:42:19 -0800, nzahedi@gmail.com wrote: >Why does AutoCAD get fonts from Windows\Fonts or WinNT\Fonts when it >isn't in my support path? I am using AutoCAD 2006 Land Desktop and in >options > Files > Support path Windows\Fonts isn't there and yet the >fonts show up, are the fonts set up elsewhere? This is because TTF fonts are installed in Windows and so AutoCAD can use those that are installed in Windows. SHX fonts are the ones that must be in a folder in the search path for AutoCAD to find them. ...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

Converting fonts back to fonts?
Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text -- but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB. Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been, for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object. And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in eit...

organize fonts in font menu
What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop or Illustrator? I remember the old days in Mac that I can put different fonts in different folders and they would be grouped together (maybe with suitcase or just the OS). Is there something similar on Windows? It's really time consuming when searching for a font from a long list. Thanks for any info! > What program can you organize Windows fonts by styles instead of in > alphabeticorder when accessing font from a program such as Photoshop > o...

TrueType font to Opentype font
Hello All, I am a newbie. I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. Perhaps using some font editor. Where do I start? What software to use? thanks a lot for your help Mashrur In article <58e0b197.0403010934.332d57da@posting.google.com>, Mashrur Mia <mia@cs.concordia.ca> wrote: > I have some TrueType fonts that I want to convert to Opentype fonts. > Perhaps using some font editor. > > Where do I start? What software to use? First of all you should read the OpenType specifications that you can find either in the Microsoft or the Adobe si...

Font and font size on iPad
Who can tell me how to do it on iPad or iPhone to write emails with different fonts and generally larger? On the Mac there is the option to choose font and size, but on the iPad and iPhone can not find it. Thanks anyway DrZap -- #4. La vita e' una tempesta, ma prenderla nel culo e' un lampo. (Beppe Gril= lo) http://www.drzap.it & http://www.facebook.com/people/Franco-DrZap/100002204= 128949 Oltre 75.200 battute e barzellette Dr Zap (e-mail : v. sul sito) --- Questa e-mail =C3=A8 stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast anti= virus. http:/...

vector font and outline font
Hi, in Wikipedia (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font) vector font and outline font are used as synonym. Ok, outline fonts are vector fonts, but aren't there any vector fonts that aren't outline fonts? bye, Johannes Johannes Walther wrote: > Hi, > > in Wikipedia (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_font) vector > font and outline font are used as synonym. > Ok, outline fonts are vector fonts, but aren't there any vector fonts > that aren't outline fonts? > > bye, > Johannes > In a historical sense, yes. Back when computer i...

/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm using ttf2afm) Thanks Yakov "Yakov Lerner" <iler.ml@gmail.com> writes: > What exactly do I need to add to fonts.conf after I added > ProggyClean.afm to /usr/share/fonts/default (I converted ttf to afm > using ttf2afm) You don't need to add anything. Just run fc-cache. This really has nothing to do with X. If you want to make X aware of your new font, you should run mkfontscale and mkfontdir in that directory. -- M�n...

@font-face and Download of fonts
Can anyone tell me how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the @font-face (CSS) tag? Thanks! Fip No. No one can tell you "... how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the @font-face (CSS) tag? ..." It doesn't work that way. "Soxos" <soxos@libero.it> wrote in message news:ne0Pa.160658$Ny5.4556275@twister2.libero.it... > Can anyone tell me how to make a browser to download a .ttf with the > @font-face (CSS) tag? > Thanks! > Fip > > "Soxos" <soxos@libero.it> wrote in news:ne0Pa.160658$Ny5.4556275@twister2.liber...

Making a font from another font
Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font that should behave exactly as the original one except for one thing: the characters should be print according to a -1 1 scale. Warning: [-1 0 0 1 0 0] makefont does not what I want, since it reverses the printing direction. For instance: (ABCDE) show should print ABCDE in this very same order but each letter should be horizontally mirrored. How can I do that? On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:04:14 +0100, Nobody wrote: > Hi, I would like to create some virtual font from a Type 1 font > that should behave exactly as the original on...

Are you a font pro? identify this font????
http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/25/leica-summaritm-75mm.jpg Is there any font pros who can identify the font used on the numbers of this lens???? On Jun 1, 8:36=A0pm, Gina Longo <gina.lo...@gmail.com> wrote: > http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/25/leica-summaritm-75mm... > Is there any font pros who can identify the font used on the numbers > of this lens???? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----------------------------- DIN, I believe. Bill On Jun 1, 8:55=A0pm, Bill <BillsRREmp...@gmail.com> wrote:...

font dialog font list
I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would like to achieve: Only show fixed-length fonts (courier new etc). I can't see any methods of properties to achieve such a thing, and unfortunately the code to the application which displays this feature is not available. Kind regards, Adam. AdamMaynard24 wrote: > I've seen an application which only has specific fonts shown in the > font list of a TFontDialog. How is this possible? This is what I would > like to achiev...

Font Book
I am running OS X 10.4.2 server and trying to utilize the nework font feature within Font Book. I setup the shared library on the server and the needed Fonts folder which is mounting to the client correctly under /Network/Library/Fonts but within Font Book the Network is listed but as "Off" and no matter what I do it will not enable. Any thoughts would be great... I figured this out, when creating a shared library in 10.4 server the name of the share has to be Library with the correct permissions, you can put it in a sub directory but need the Library name to mount correctly on the...

Web resources about - Japanese fonts / font-conversion / saving Fonts in certain formats (on mac) - comp.fonts

Fonts & Conversion Optimization: Everything You Need To Know
One of the most-overlooked areas in conversion optimization is the role of fonts and typography. Columnist Jeremy Smith explains. The post Fonts ...