looking for a look-alike font of the 'West side story'-font

For a school-presentation on the 'West side story', I like to make use
of a free-font that has resemblance to the one used for the original
film-posters.

(For those who need to refresh their minds how it looks:
http://216.168.37.61/posteritati/jpg/W2/WEST%20SIDE%20STORY%203SH.jpg)

Can someone help me with some suggestions.

Thanks

Guus
0
comp
11/10/2004 10:25:15 AM
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

De Nada's "Will Robinson" has a similar appearance:

http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/denada/dn1.htm

Bill

0
billsrrempire

Looking for an 'asian looking' font
Hello newsgroup, can anyone tell me the name of the following font: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5160tI2eFLL._SS500_.jpg Anyway I'm looking for this or a familiar looking one. I hope you can help me. Kind regards, Frank On Apr 25, 5:07=A0pm, Frank H=F6lscher <frank.hoelsc...@versanet.de> wrote: > Hello newsgroup, > can anyone tell me the name of the following font:http://ecx.images-amazon= ..com/images/I/5160tI2eFLL._SS500_.jpg > > Anyway I'm looking for this or a familiar looking one. > > I hope you can help me. > > Kind regards, > Frank ...

Windows Symbol Font 'Look A Like'?
Hi all. I am having to recreate an old logo for someone. In my efforts it appears that the font used in the logo is the Windows Symbol font. The only issue is that an 'S' is used in the text and the Symbol font doesn't have an english 'S'. All the other letters in the logo fit perfectly. So my question is does anyone know of a font that has the alphabet in English in the style of the Symbol font in Windows? TIA. Nath. On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:06:57 -0400, Nath wrote (in article <5pz1d.30603$D7.5633@news-server.bigpond.net.au>): > Hi all. I am having to rec...

How to create PDFs with a 'similar-enough' font embedded if the original document's font license does forbid embedding?
My questions follow below; here are my facts first: 0. I'm using a customer-owned MS Windows Vista notebook during calls on-site (my own one has no permission to be plugged into the network there) with MS Office 2007 as well as Acrobat Professional 9.1.2 installed. 1. I have gotten a Word 2007 document, composed entirely of text formatted with a font "LucidaSans" (plus variations: *-italic, *-bold, *-bolditalic). 2. BTW, I don't know *how* Word originally found the LucidaSans font -- it's not by default installed in %windir%\fonts. However, it's available in "...

converting Units property to 'Normalized' results in smaller looking font
i create a gui figure which contains UIControls Text, Edit, PushButton, PopupMenu, CheckBox, and RadioButton. i position these objects with property Units set to 'Characters'. the last two things i do are: (1) resize the main/parent figure to accommodate all its children properly: % resize mFig by resetting its position pos = get( mFig, 'Position' ); pos(3) = wide + 2*hGutter; pos(4) = top - bottom + 2*vGutter; set( mFig, 'Position', pos ); (2) change all Units to 'Normalized' so the figure can be resized properly: % set all objects' units to 'Normalized' to allow resizing of mFig hAxes = findobj( mFig, 'Type', 'Axes' ); hText = findobj( mFig, 'Type', 'Text' ); hUICtl = findobj( mFig, 'Type', 'UIControl' ); set([ hAxes; hText; hUICtl ], 'Units', 'Normalized', ... 'FontUnits', 'Normalized' ); when i do step (2) the all figure's text is displayed at a smaller size than what is see when i skip step (2). this smaller size guarantees that the first thing a user will do is resize the figure. why does the font get smaller when i do step (2) and how can i stop the font from being displayed smaller? thanks, - bettyann ...

[News] Liberation Fonts Put to Rest 'Fonts Smear' Against Linux
Ubuntu and Fonts ,----[ Quote ] | In this short tutorial i discuss some handy fonts related tips that could | improve user's desktop experience . The tips include installing Microsoft | True type fonts enabling one to render documents and web pages created in | Microsoft Windows properly in Ubuntu Linux, Installing a set of cool looking | fonts released by RedHat - Liberation fonts package , making fonts look good | on your LCD Display by turning on subpixel smoothing , installing some cool | and free fonts on your Ubuntu Desktop and finally how to install any font if | you have it...

Swing Font, it's Java Font? ot native? how install new font?
Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use with window API to draw the font on the screen? if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? and how I can install new one, or maybe install Window Font? mttc wrote: > Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use > with window API to draw the font on the screen? I think both. Java has it's own fonts, and it will use the native (Windows) ones too. > if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/...

Font known by 'gs' but not by 'ps2pdf', etc
Hi, I use Ubuntu 8.04. I added some line at the end of the Fontmap.GS for adding a PFB font. When I now type 'gs test.ps', I have some X window opening with exactly the right font. BUT all other tools fail to find the font: either ps2pdf, or gv, or evince, etc. Maybe I forgot to change something else? Regards, K. K. wrote: > Hi, I use Ubuntu 8.04. > I added some line at the end of the Fontmap.GS for adding a PFB font. > When I now type 'gs test.ps', I have some X window opening with exactly > the right font. BUT all other tools fail to find the font: either ps2pdf, > or gv, or evince, etc. Presumably you parked the font somewhere that you then explicitly pointed gs to. What you need to do is make it available system wide. I don't know the specifics of ubuntu, but if you used an add font facility and it isn't showing up, consider the following commands, in order: mkfontscale fc-cache mkfontdir (note the -e option) chkfontpath The X server will possibly need a restart to pick up the new fonts. Le Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:09:52 +1100, A D a écrit: >> Hi, I use Ubuntu 8.04. >> I added some line at the end of the Fontmap.GS for adding a PFB font. >> When I now type 'gs test.ps', I have some X window opening with exactly >> the right font. BUT all other tools fail to find the font: either >> ps2pdf, or gv, or evince, etc. > > Presumably you parked the font somewhere that you t...

Font 'Adamas'
Hello, I'm looking for a font that is similar to the font 'Adamas'. The font 'Adamas' is exclusively owned by a publisher and I haven't found anything about this font. Regards Patrick Gr��e aus Mannheim Patrick "Patrick Fiala" <Patrick.Fiala@web.de> wrote in message news:9cms61hs6djsuvmn777ij63mvsdojegf8u@4ax.com... > Hello, > > I'm looking for a font that is similar to the font 'Adamas'. The font > 'Adamas' is exclusively owned by a publisher and I haven't found > anything about this font. > > Regards &...

Rendered fonts don't look as they should
Hi folks, I want to display fonts in a pure Windows (2K, XP,...)-based OGL application. I've read some articles about the different ways to create fonts. My requirements are: *) Must work on all windows graphic cards, also in pure software rendering mode *) Full UNICODE support! (I haven't seen that mentioned often) *) Transparency - only the text itself should be opaque, not its background *) Performance isn't the most important thing, but it shouldn't take forever to render, either (even in pure software mode) Especially because of the UNICODE requirement, I decided to ren...

I'm looking for TimesRoman ZVPS FONT
Hi all, I need to get the TimesRoman ZVPS fonts but cannot find it anywhere ..... It's used to type and display Vietnamese. I did go to VPS.ORG but they don't have ZVPS....They have only VPS (pls not the difference: there is a Z ....) Any idea where I can find it? Thanks, Hien On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, HQ wrote: > I need to get the TimesRoman ZVPS fonts but cannot find it anywhere > .... It's used to type and display Vietnamese. Use any of these: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_windows.html#vietnamese http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/latin_extended_additional.html -...

I'm looking for canal plus font
'lo, I am looking for the font used by this french TV chanel (www.cplus.fr). I already found it on the net, but lost it... Thanx. Merci. M ...

font id: Anne Geddes' name font
hi, I'm looking for a freeware/share font similar to the one used by Anne Geddes to write her name at the bottom of her pictures. any idea ? you can see the quoted font in the box at the bottom of: http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/bhckjc93/AnneGeddes1.jpg TIA, Pierre. Pierre wrote: > hi, > > I'm looking for a freeware/share font similar to the one used by Anne > Geddes to write her name at the bottom of her pictures. any idea ? > > you can see the quoted font in the box at the bottom of: > http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa300/bhckjc93/AnneGeddes1...

Disabling fonts in Panther's Font Book
A question about how fonts work: When I boot up Panther, does the system load all the fonts in RAM? Conversely, if I use Font Book to disable fonts, will I have more available RAM the next time I boot up? Thanks in advance for your help. ...

Hello, Is there somebody knows how avoid the warning: Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit (wrong side of point)) poped in a buffer 3 times per minute font-lock-pr
Hello, Is there somebody who knows how avoid the warning: Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit (wrong side of point)) Thanks a lot because it makes xemacs unusable Annie Ressouche <Annie.Ressouche@sophia.inria.fr> writes: > Hello, > > Is there somebody who knows how avoid the warning: > Error caught in `font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error Invalid search limit > (wrong side of point)) > > Thanks a lot because it makes xemacs unusable Google may know! http://www.xemacs.org/Releases/2005-07-15.html ...

[CM] 'System Shock': story about old Windows font on modern systems
From the «looks good to me» department: Title: 'System shock' Author: Thom Holwerda Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 06:10:34 -0400 Link: http://osnews.com/story/28913/_System_shock_ So, Medium tried a new thing on their website in which they render the site in system fonts - San Francisco, Roboto, Segoe - but soon they started getting bug reports from people about Medium showing blocky, pixellated fonts. I looked again at all the system fonts and none seemed to match any of the descriptions. What was going on? I started asking for screenshots, and eventually a few trickled in. And, suddenly, I realized I know this font. It was a font I saw on my first PC. I love this story. -- Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss On 2015-10-25, RS Wood <rsw@therandymon.com> wrote: > From the «looks good to me» department: > Title: 'System shock' > Author: Thom Holwerda > Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 06:10:34 -0400 > Link: http://osnews.com/story/28913/_System_shock_ > > So, Medium tried a new thing on their website in which they render the > site in system fonts - San Francisco, Roboto, Segoe - but soon they > started getting bug reports from people about Medium showing blocky, > pixellated fonts. I looked again at all the system fonts and none > seemed to match any of the descriptions. What was going on? I started > asking for screenshots, and eventually a few trickled in...

Get Font's fullname given postscript font
Hi, I am a newbie to work on Postscript fonts. I want to convert the postscript font name to it's full font name, understandable by the HTML style "font-family" attribute. For e.g. if the postscript font name is "BodoniMTCondensed", I want to convert it as the font's full name as "Bodoni MT Condensed". I am working on .Net framework. Please let me know if this is possible and how to go about it? Regards, Parag. In article <1150095862.437458.265670@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, paragvm@gmail.com says... > Hi, > > I am a newbie to work on Postscript fonts. > I want to convert the postscript font name to it's full font name, > understandable by the HTML style "font-family" attribute. > > For e.g. if the postscript font name is "BodoniMTCondensed", I want to > convert it as the font's full name as "Bodoni MT Condensed". I am > working on .Net framework. > > Please let me know if this is possible and how to go about it? Well, its 'possible' but you are assuming this information is available in the font somewhere, this may not be the case. PostScript fonts are stored in the interpreter as dictionaries, and you can retrieve the dictionary containing the current font by using 'currentfont'. This will return a dictionary on the stack. The contents fo the dictionary are accessed using the 'key' associated with a 'value'. th...

Apple's Font Management -- What Collection(s) Is A Font In?
As part of OS X (I'm using version 10.4.3) Apple provides font management via the Font Book application. Using Font Book, one can create font collections which can be selectively enabled and disabled. A specific font can be placed in more than one collection. While one can quickly see a list of fonts included in a given collection I see no way the reverse is true, seeing what collections a given font is included in. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do what I've been unable to do? -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft ...

looking for game 'Xchess' by 'Xfun'
Hi, A few years ago I inherited the game 'Xchess' in the original box. Unfortunately there are a few badsectors on the disk. So I was wondering: anyone out there who has got this game and wants to send me a copy? Thanks in advance. Oh I can proof by the way that I own the original game by sending a scan of the manual or so. -- Folkert van Heusden <folkert@vanheusden.com> www.vanheusden.com ...

TrueType Fonts Look Different On Printer's Proofs
I'm just wondering how much difference I should expect in how my TrueType fonts look after the commercial printer gets ahold of my PM file and sends me back a proof for the text. See here for a comparison of how they look on my system, versus a jpg image copy that the printer sent me to approve for the text... http://www.fototime.com/13CEDBBCA727E66/orig.jpg All samples in the above link were made from jpg image copies. My original copy was exported from PM to a PDF file using the same embedded fonts I sent to the printer. The reason I ask, is because I was expecting the font styles to look closer in appearance. For one, the shape of the numbers look different, as if it was a different font, but the printer says they used the same font files I sent them, with no substitutions. And there are some other little oddities you can see in the samples. I realize there is still some sort of conversion that must take place (outlines?) when they work with TrueType fonts, but I just expected a bit closer of a match and was wondering if this type of variation is typical or to be expected, as I don't have much experience working with commercial printers. Other fonts in the document look identical in appearance. Perhaps it has something to do with the way it was prepared, and will look different on the match proofs versus this soft proof. Also, I had to send a few additional font files to the printer, because on their preflight inspection some were missin...

How can I 'squeeze' a font ?
I need to squeeze the outline of a truetype font editor closer together (to create a thinner version). Is there an easy way to do this ? Just looking for the Fonty homepage, was hoping that might be of some help. Can't seem to find the website tho :/ -- Phil "Phil" <spam@recycle.bin> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:MPG.1aa5a235958c69a5989952@text.news.ntlworld.com... > I need to squeeze the outline of a truetype font editor closer together > (to create a thinner version). Is there an easy way to do this ? You can do so with Fontographer using the "change ...

Recommend a 'rounded font'
Hi, I need a font for a logo. The font needs to be rounded, a bit like 'Arial'. The logo I am doing uses the letter 'W', I am finding it quite difficult finding a font that has a 'W' that isnt pointy. Can anyone recommend a font that I can use. in article c1dr33$1go8ck$1@ID-179732.news.uni-berlin.de, Cheddar at my_spamNOCHEESE@dsl.pipex.com wrote on 2/23/04 1:24 PM: > Hi, > > I need a font for a logo. The font needs to be rounded, a > bit like 'Arial'. The logo I am doing uses the letter 'W', I > am finding it quite difficult findin...

what is the 'disco sucks' font?
to refresh your memory http://uk.geocities.com/origamifrog/misc/discos1.jpg tried to use myfont on this but no joy hope you can help cheers -andy flembo wrote: > http://uk.geocities.com/origamifrog/misc/discos1.jpg Bookman Swash. -- Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltrebing@ltrebing.de ...

What's a good-looking, not altogether common, sans-serif font?
I've been using Georgia in Mail for what seems like years, and I want a change, dammit! :-) I don't want to go the Helvetica or Geneva or Lucida Grande route because I see those all the time. What nice-to-read sans-serif fonts do you guys like? In article <061020051307331916%notmyem@il.address>, "Jessica M." <notmyem@il.address> wrote: > I've been using Georgia in Mail for what seems like years, and I want a > change, dammit! :-) I don't want to go the Helvetica or Geneva or > Lucida Grande route because I see those all the time. > > Wh...

Looking for a font (JPG Image Link) - Serif Font
Hello, I am looking for a font, similar to the one on this link, http://www.orbittechnologies.net/collegefont.jpg, notice the "g" it is more like a --g'-- or a "g" with an apostrophe. I would like to know what font that is or any fonts similar to that. Which can be used for, both, normal (10-12pt) and headline (30-40pt). I was also wondering about a Sans-Serif font that has an apostrophe on the g, I do not know what they call it but it looks like an apostrophe. Many newspapers use it. Thanks fds@ns1.cal.alachua.fl.us (Falak Shah) a pens� dans news:f818f952.040512181...

Web resources about - looking for a look-alike font of the 'West side story'-font - comp.fonts