Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System

I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on
top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with
helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any
intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought
maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have
it.

I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also
popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I
looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB
yesterday. It seems to have helped a little bit. I'm puzzled though
because the 'recommended' setting is something like ~350K, so I don't
know why it needs so much memory. This is the version of ATM Light
that is recommended for our setup at the Adobe site.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on, and what options exist
to fix this permanently? (Other than buying all Mac OSX versions of
everything, that's out for financial reasons.)

Thanks in advance, and unless you want to make a personal comment (??)
please reply in the group and not by e-mail.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
tlshell@concentric.net	/ http://www.concentric.net/~tlshell