What font goes well with Bernhard Modern?

I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
be serif or sans-serif.
Someone suggested using Caslon but I'm not sure if that really does it
for me....

comp.fonts 4583 articles. 19 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

On Feb 8, 7:58 pm, alastair.ches...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
> be serif or sans-serif.
> Someone suggested using Caslon but I'm not sure if that really does it
> for me....

Perhaps Caledonia or New Caledonia (Transitional 511 BT).

Bill

0
Bill
2/9/2007 1:48:02 AM
> I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
> be serif or sans-serif.

With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad. Sans serif may look too different.

Choice of a typeface (not font) depend on basic layout, images, colors, etc. so your question is like "I'll make dinner on blue plates which wine should I choose." ;-)

Jukka
0
Armadillo
2/9/2007 8:38:57 PM
"Armadillo" <reply@newsgroup.pls> schrieb:
>=20
> > I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> > looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. =
Could
> > be serif or sans-serif.
>=20
> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
> Sans serif may look too different.

Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)

> Choice of a typeface (not font) depend on basic layout, images, =
colors,
> etc. so your question is like "I'll make dinner on blue plates which =
wine
> should I choose." ;-)

LOL - I agree. Not to forget: content. It could be a menu for an elegant
restaurant or a brochure for a senior citizens' residence or ...

Anyway, with the large ascenders of B.M. you should make use of=20
generous linespacing with the body text as well. Whatever font or=20
typeface :-) you chose for that.

Andreas
0
Andreas
2/11/2007 2:23:20 PM
>> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
>> Sans serif may look too different.
>
> Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)

Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.

Jukka
0
Armadillo
2/11/2007 5:11:00 PM
"Armadillo" <reply@newsgroup.pls> schrieb:
>=20
> >> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
> >> Sans serif may look too different.
> >
> > Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)
>=20
> Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.

LOL - I have the same problem, is that because both were the(TM)
MM-fonts?

Andreas
0
Andreas
2/12/2007 3:25:59 PM
>> Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.
>
> LOL - I have the same problem, is that because both were the(TM)
> MM-fonts?

Could be but dementia is more likely reason.

Jukka
0
Armadillo

Font Book
I am running OS X 10.4.2 server and trying to utilize the nework font feature within Font Book. I setup the shared library on the server and the needed Fonts folder which is mounting to the client correctly under /Network/Library/Fonts but within Font Book the Network is listed but as "Off" and no matter what I do it will not enable. Any thoughts would be great... I figured this out, when creating a shared library in 10.4 server the name of the share has to be Library with the correct permissions, you can put it in a sub directory but need the Library name to mount correctly on the...

ACE compiles *.cpp with compiler g++, could it use gcc as well?
Hello there, We have our project files name *.cpp so when compile it with ACE, the compiler invoked is g++. If we want to use OCCI (Oracle C++ Call Interface), we need to use gcc and not g++. My question is, could we change ACE compiler just to gcc with *.cpp file? I have not try to recompile ACE with this change, just want to confirm it first. Thanks, Steven Hi Steven, >We have our project files name *.cpp so when compile it with ACE, the >compiler invoked is g++. If we want to use OCCI (Oracle C++ Call Interface), >we need to use gcc and not g++. > &g...

pdf995 and embedded fonts
I recently installed pdf995 in order to save documents to PDF format using Corel Wordperfect 8. I keep reading that I should use embedded fonts when saving a file using the pdf995 printer driver in order to make sure that the document remains the same when read by someone else, but I have searched and searched -- as yet I have found no instructions as to how to embed fonts using this driver. The description states that the program has "configurable font embedding", but so far I have found no instructions as to how access this feature or use it. Everything I read seems to assume that...

How to see font map?
For developing my font conversion program, I need to know which ascii code (0-255) is giving which character of that font. I define the code in a column of MS excel XP worksheet, and in next column I set =char(code), and set the font of this column to my trial font. Now, indic characters are having ligatures which go before, after, above, below the actual letter, thus, sometime the ligature goes beyond the visible limit of excel cell, thus I am not able to see it. I need to add space etc before/ after the letter, but that creates different problems. Could someone please suggest some simple...

A3000 with modern PC monitor?
I have an old A3000 in my cupboard with high sentimental value, but there's also its big SCART monitor taking up space in there that I was thinking of chucking. Question is, will the A3000 work with my modern (TFT) PC monitor? (Or even with a SCART TV set?) I need to make sure I can see see the output of my treasured arc if I bin the chunky monitor! In message <1158670079.304982.304000@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> "foxx" <charles.fox@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an old A3000 in my cupboard with high sentimental value, but > there's also its...

Trying to find Neville Brody font
Hello there I've recently been reading Neville Brody graphic design book, and I'm trying to locate a font that he uses all the time. Check: http://www.raimundspiele.at/icons/Logo_ORF_NOE.jpg It looks very like Insignia but without the little tails (on the A for example) check: http://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.fontdisplay&packagefontid=0&displayfontid=LH.108004.0.1&view=single&searchID=122&searchby=designer&searchletter=A&searchstr=&totalrecords=16&startrow=1&records=20&currpage=1 And not unlike FF Typeface 6 or 7, but ...

how to add chinese font in the 'xyouts' procedure
Hi,all when I create a contour plot, I need to use 'xyouts' procedure to add a title for my plot map. in the xyouts procedure, I want to use the chinese charactor as the value of the 'string' argument. but the chinese charactor can't be displayed correctly. so anyone can tell my what is wrong? very strange, if i input 'print xxx' in the command line in IDL(XXX present chinese charactor), it will be diaplay correct. so I don't understand why in the procedure 'XYOUTS' it can't by the way, I ever search 'xyouts' in the forum, someone said ca...

Hey DFS...Ask Kohlmann to explain this one (was fonts...)
Over here he accuses you of rigging the screenshots by turning of anti-aliasing: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/82e012c465a663cf "You mean, you deliberately selected different fonts/fontsizes? And deselected Anti-aliasing too for KDE? Figures, after all you are one of the most dishonest widiots around here" Yet over here, he claims anti-aliasing has no effect on screen shots: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/628d7bbe0fe46061 " BTW, it is so simple to test for yourself. Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasi...

Font in code
Hi, I was wondering if there is way use a font that is somehow kept in the code instead of having to load it? I am working on a single script that so far can produce images and html but I have not been able to figure out a way that it can also produce a font. Thanks Carl http://www.gaihosa.com carlbernardi@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering if there is way use a font that is somehow kept in the > code instead of having to load it? I am working on a single script > that so far can produce images and html but I have not been able to > figure out a way that it ca...

Issue on using the psnfss package to substitute the default CM fonts.
Dear all, I want to use the psnfss package to substitute the default CM fonts in my thesis. In the cls file used by me, I defined the following codes: ----------------- \newif\if@psnfss \@psnfssfalse \newif\if@typeicm \@typeicmtrue \newif\if@mathpazo \@mathpazofalse \newif\if@mathptmx \@mathptmxfalse \DeclareOption{psnfss} {\@psnfsstrue\@typeicmfalse} \DeclareOption{mathpazo} {\@psnfsstrue\@mathpazotrue\@mathptmxfalse} \DeclareOption{mathptmx} {\@psnfsstrue\@mathptmxtrue\@mathpazofalse} \DeclareOption{notype1cm} {\@typeicmfalse} [snip] \ProcessOptions \if@psnfss \RequirePackage[T1]...

fonts funny
When I tried to load NetSurf 2.1 the other day I got an error about Unicode (and no application - had to revert to 2.0 temporarily). John-Mark Bell identified the fault as a corrupt font file (Sassoon). I found the original file and replaced the corrupt one, and all is well with Netsurf. The font in question was one of a set distributed along with a much earlier version of NetSurf (September 2006). It came with several others, including 'small caps' fonts (but no others) for the Acorn standards: Corpus, Homerton and Trinity. When I replaced Sassoon I added all the others to !F...

How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python?
How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python? Need a simple script for Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.. Or using wxPython. I can't seem to find anything that works, and I don't want to hard-code paths. On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Metallicow <metaliobovinus@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I get the OS System Font Directory(Cross-Platform) in python? > > Need a simple script for > Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.. > > Or using wxPython. > > I can't seem to find anything that works, and I don't want to hard-code paths. &...

How do you I use GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts for part of my article while keeping the default CM fonts for the rest.
I cannot figure out how use the default article CM fonts everywhere except a few places. Example: I want to use GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts for special symbols "\pi" and text "x" I want the "The quick.... special symbols" part to be in the normal, default font but in this article everything is in GFS Artemisia with Euler math fonts: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{gfsartemisia-euler} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \myPiSymbol{\ensuremath{\pi}} \myTextx{\text{x}} \begin{document} The quick brown dogs jumps over the lazy fox. Here are my...

[News] Patentability of Software Goes to Enlarged Board of Appeal

where are the fonts ?
I am running Thunderbird 1.5 (Tb) on Fedora Core 4. When I open an html message in Tb, it (apparently) defaults to the default font. I am not even certain what the default is. The exception is arial. If I set the font to arial <font face=arial> Then it looks like arial. I can guess that html cannot find other fonts and defaults to something. I am not sure what something is. But when I search my HDD, I find lots of other fonts. So I am guessing that html cannot find them. So my questions: 1.Is there a way to tell what fonts I have that are accessible to html? Some com...

What is the best way to have mrtg send a page what a node goes down? ping is blocked to this device.
I have a router that locks up intermitantly. I need to be paged when this happens. Ping blocked across our wan to this router and is not an option. I have MRTG tracking interfaces and cpu. Can I use cpu% and mrtg thresholds to call a paging script if I set unknaszero? When the router goes down, the CPU% would drop to zero. Or does MRTG need real data to cross the threshold and not unknaszero data? Has anyone done this? I have not used thresholds on mrtg and am fuzzy re. them. Thanks, Mark ...

Can't open font FixedWidthFont; using default
Hello, I am running IRIX 6.5.22 on an o2 and have a little problem with font, I don't know how I managed to do that (I didn't change much) I just know that I was in the "Customize" menu of the toolchest. But now the problem is that in the menus (and only the menus) I have bigger font and in BOLD, it looks quite ugly to me and would really like to go back to the default font/boldness/thickness but I don't know how this happened really. Since then when I logout/login again I can see the following error message in the console: Can't open font FixedWidthFont; usi...

Japanese font?
I need to set a few words in Japanese for some publicity material I am doing. The problem is in two parts! I'm getting someone to do the translation for me (ten words in total: "Location Works, the UK's premier location company and location library"), hopefully that bit will be easy. Then I need to incorporate that text into an ArtWorks file. Is there a Kanji font available in RISC OS? I couldn't see one on www.fonts.iconbar.com Can anyone advise? (Incidentally, I posted an enquiry to James Byrne <jbyrnew@netscape.net> who apparently - according to Google groups...

"well-former" tool (Linux)
Hi! I need to parse large XML files which don't terminate tags without body (i.e. <TAG> when it had to be <TAG />). I'm also not sure about whether the tags are correctly case-sensitive. I do have an XSD - is there a tool that can "repair" those XML files? Timo In article <2ib4iaFk32hkU1@uni-berlin.de>, Timo Nentwig <tcn@spamgourmet.org> writes: > I need to parse large XML files which don't terminate tags without body > (i.e. <TAG> when it had to be <TAG />). I'm also not sure about whether > the tags are correctly...

font for gnome app
Hello, first, sorry for my english but i am a stranger... usally i am using kde3 and some gnome applications and i wanted to test gnome2.2. So i have upgrade my debian woody with the right mirror site (deb http://mirror.raw.no/ gnome2.2/) and now, the updated app and gnome2 don't display font !!! u can see a screen shot of gnome2 app on kde3 here: http://benhur.no-ip.com/gnome.jpg and app based on gnome1 run perfectly what is wrong ? how can i modify default font for gnome2 ? ...

Fonts like Scriptina 370429
I'm looking for fonts like 'Scriptina', so fonts with 'elegance' Anyone an idea? With all those fonts I do not see the wood for the trees... Thx "franck" <francklu@hotmail.com> wrote > I'm looking for fonts like 'Scriptina', so fonts with 'elegance' Although not as unconventional, there are many nice free script fonts to be harvested here: http://freefonts.fateback.com/es_typography/ -- 2,400+ free photos: http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/ e-mail filter: replace "extra�o" with fontplay FontPlays: http://www.fontpl...

This is Crazy...!!! re: HP48 Font for Macintosh
i used to have one of these, and i'm sure that it was on the Goodies Disk(s) But i can't find it now...??? i've looked all over on the internet, and it seems to have gone away...??? Actually; The font can work on either Wintel or Macintosh Platforms ( i have a translator ) But it's totally Kooky that i can't find it...??? --- i did find a HUGE collection of fonts on HP48.org (???) and they seemed to be in the right format, but my OSX insisted that they were all corrupted...???!!! ( ??? ) [ !!! ] Thanx! TranslucentAmoebae wrote: > i did find a HUGE collection of fonts o...

Windows service does not recognize additional installed postscript fonts (type 1) when creating postscript files (exceptions are windows standard Arial, Courier New, etc.)
Windows 2000 receives command line parameters over the Oracle Report Runtime (rwrun60.exe) to create the postscript files. If we send the statement directly from the server, the postscripts files are being created without any problems. If the call is triggert by an external procedure on an Oracle DB(8.1.7.4.1) the services takes the Windows standard fonts and does not recognize the additionally installed postscript fonts that have been used by the Oracle Report. The external procedure is in an shared library. A service named EXTPROC (External Procedure Listener) loads this library dynamical...

Emerald fonts
Hi there, I've installed the Emerald fonts [1] from CTAN, and have got them working on my system. An example such as the LaTeX Font catalogue's text example [2] works perfectly, but I can't work out for the life of me how to resize the font. I'm using this in the context of: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{emerald} \fontfamily{cmss}\fontsize{12pt}{13pt}\selectfont Here's the body of my text {\ECFAugie Some notes in the magin} Body text continues... \end{document} I wish to use cmss as my default font and Augie enclosed in a group only for short notes. ...

TechnoRiver MICR Font (v1.0)
TechnoRiver MICR Font (TrueType) allows you to print the digits and special characters of a check. These digits are usually found at the bottom of the checks and can be read by MICR Readers.The font is based on the E13-B industry standard, which is used in the United States and many countries throughout the world. It consists of the ten numerical digits and four special symbols. More information http://technoriversoft.com/micrfont.html Download free trial http://technoriversoft.com/downloadmicrfont.html ...