What font goes well with Bernhard Modern?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
be serif or sans-serif.
Someone suggested using Caslon but I'm not sure if that really does it
for me....

0
Reply alastair.chesson (1) 2/9/2007 12:58:12 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Feb 8, 7:58 pm, alastair.ches...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
> be serif or sans-serif.
> Someone suggested using Caslon but I'm not sure if that really does it
> for me....

Perhaps Caledonia or New Caledonia (Transitional 511 BT).

Bill

0
Reply Bill 2/9/2007 1:48:02 AM

> I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. Could
> be serif or sans-serif.

With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad. Sans serif may look too different.

Choice of a typeface (not font) depend on basic layout, images, colors, etc. so your question is like "I'll make dinner on blue plates which wine should I choose." ;-)

Jukka
0
Reply Armadillo 2/9/2007 8:38:57 PM

"Armadillo" <reply@newsgroup.pls> schrieb:
>=20
> > I am doing a brochure using Bernhard Modern as a headline font and
> > looking for a suitable font to use for the body copy underneath. =
Could
> > be serif or sans-serif.
>=20
> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
> Sans serif may look too different.

Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)

> Choice of a typeface (not font) depend on basic layout, images, =
colors,
> etc. so your question is like "I'll make dinner on blue plates which =
wine
> should I choose." ;-)

LOL - I agree. Not to forget: content. It could be a menu for an elegant
restaurant or a brochure for a senior citizens' residence or ...

Anyway, with the large ascenders of B.M. you should make use of=20
generous linespacing with the body text as well. Whatever font or=20
typeface :-) you chose for that.

Andreas
0
Reply Andreas 2/11/2007 2:23:20 PM

>> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
>> Sans serif may look too different.
>
> Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)

Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.

Jukka
0
Reply Armadillo 2/11/2007 5:11:00 PM

"Armadillo" <reply@newsgroup.pls> schrieb:
>=20
> >> With Bernhard Modern I'd suggest something simple like Myriad.
> >> Sans serif may look too different.
> >
> > Last time I looked at Myriad it was a sans-serif font ;-)
>=20
> Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.

LOL - I have the same problem, is that because both were the(TM)
MM-fonts?

Andreas
0
Reply Andreas 2/12/2007 3:25:59 PM

>> Darn, I meant Minion - I always mix thse two.
>
> LOL - I have the same problem, is that because both were the(TM)
> MM-fonts?

Could be but dementia is more likely reason.

Jukka
0
Reply Armadillo 2/12/2007 3:31:46 PM
comp.fonts 4567 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

bernhard modern fonts fontinst
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------C08FB8C68E41976AFF1BF14C Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Has somebody successfully installed the bernhard modern fonts including the alternate fonts using fontinst? Yours, Werner Struckmann -- = Technische Universit=E4t Braunschweig Dr. Werner Struckmann E-Mail: struck@ips.cs.tu-bs.de Institut f=FCr Software Abteilung Programmierung Postfach 33 29 38023 Braunschweig Telefon: +49-(0)531-391-3278 Telefax: +49-(0)...

[SEARCH] Font Package : Bernhard Modern & co.
Hi there, I recently swapped from a Titanium to an iMac. Unfortunately, i've lost several font collections during the data transfer (CD-ROM and LAN - i know, i am goofy sometimes). I was intensively using the Bernhard Modern, that was installed out of some commercial software. Problem : i don't even remember when i started using this font, means i can't locate the potential source in my application library. Could you please help me finding which soft it is or could be, so i can reinstall my favorite fonts from the corresponding CD ? Thanks in advance, and Merry Xmas, _Marc Have ...

Mac Font Book and Computer Modern Postscript fonts
I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they work fine with TeXShop. I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however. When I try to add them to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as expected). Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts? Or is there something special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle? ...

Need old Font Editor for Windows vector fonts (like modern.fon)
Hi, I'd need to edit modern.fon (which is a vector font) in Win2000 / XP environments. Does anybody have a font editor capable of editing such font? It seems that current tools can just work with TrueType. There was, in the Win3.1 era, a font editor for that, but it seems to have disappeard nowadays. Any tips? ...

European Modern fonts
Hi, Where can I obtain the European Modern fonts nowadays? They seem unavailable now from the official site. dan ...

organizing fonts well
I've got a number of CDs and DVDs containing fonts and I want to organize them in hierarchically structured folders on a hard drive. I've read that there is no single 'best' way of classifying fonts for storage and retrieval purposes but I've decided to settle for the method used on this Wiki page initially: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typeface So, Roman, Blackletter, Gaelic, Monospaced and Symbol are the basic folders I'm going to use, with sub-divisions of these as needed. My method for finding and deleting duplicates isn't very well developed yet. I have mai...

What goes well with Neutraface?
Hello Fontomaniacs, I'm a little stuck regarding the quest as to find a font that looks well in company with Neutraface. I just designed a logo for a small company and the accompanying stationary, business cards, etc. using Neutraface and all looks fine and elegant. So far so good. But now I wonder which typeface to choose for the common everyday task of writing letters and invoices on the letterhead. Neutraface Text still looks to delicate for this task in my eyes. So what I'm looking for is a simple font, maybe even monospaced, not too ordinary, not too elegant (i.e. not to...

Fonts for modern websites
I need a font to reflect the design of a modern, minimalist looking website I'm designing, but I can't seem to find any. The ones I find are either too much "cool" or "high tech" looking, or completely boring. The fonts need to have a slight "high tech" or "architect" sort of feel to them. Any suggestions for any such fonts that are free? -- Regards, KPT In article <434975da@news.broadpark.no>, KPT <----@--.--> wrote: > I need a font to reflect the design of a modern, minimalist > looking website I'm designing, but...

latin modern fonts
The latin modern fonts are recommended over the computer modern fonts (they are the replacements), and I was having some issue with them. One of the more obvious differences between cm and lm is that the \cdot is raised slightly and looks more round. However, the most obvious change is that there is significantly more spacing on both sides of \cdot. The spacing is so large that it doesn't look good...especially with dot products appearing as an exponent. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there anyway to "fix" it. "Mr. Question" <question@google.com> writ...

this goes well with cereal
http://tinyurl.com/5nneyy messianic light wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/5nneyy Sorry? Oh, flash. No, don't use it. On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 07:33:13 +0000, fuzzix <fuzzix@gmail.com> wrote: >Sorry? > >Oh, flash. No, don't use it. Great for cleaning floors (so I'm told), but for web sites -- stick to HTML. messianic light wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/5nneyy oh dear, trying to execute javascript and flash? you'll have to try harder than that. -- link my boring website http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/ Robert Baker wrote: > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 07:33:13 +0...

Latin modern font?
I saw a new font recently uploaded in fonts/ps-type1 and it looks VERY interesting to me, but the info about it is quite terse. Can someone shed some light? How are they generated? Are they automatically traced (a la cm-super)? Or are they manually designed (and maybe hinted?). What was the starting point for the added glyphs? Is there some project site from which a sample pdf can be downloaded? Thanks -- Oscar Lazzarino Oscar Lazzarino wrote: > I saw a new font recently uploaded in fonts/ps-type1 and it looks VERY > interesting to me, but the info about it is quite terse. > &g...

computer modern fonts with accents
From: jrufigo@gmail.com (Juan) Newsgroups: comp.fonts Subject: Computer modern font with accents NNTP-Posting-Host: 148.245.168.21 Hi, it might sound like a nonsense but I would like to write a paper in Spanish using computer modern fonts and therefore need accents (�, �...). I can use ATM so either adobe or just ttf files would be fine ? Any idea on which version and where to find it ? Thanks Juan Juan wrote: > it might sound like a nonsense but I would like to write a paper in > Spanish using computer modern fonts and therefore need accents (�, > �...). CTAN offers a complet...

Search Computer Modern fonts
Hello, I try to find Computer Modern fonts (like CM-Super) with all special characters like Greek and French (with accents). It's for not LaTeX using, it's for Illustrator. So I would like to find it in OTF, TTF, or PFB formats. Thank you very match, M.P. Peremax wrote: > Hello, > > I try to find Computer Modern fonts (like CM-Super) with all special > characters like Greek and French (with accents). It's for not LaTeX > using, it's for Illustrator. So I would like to find it in OTF, TTF, > or PFB formats. > > Thank you very match, > > M.P. ...

Search Computer Modern fonts
Hello, I try to find Computer Modern fonts (like CM-Super) with all special characters like Greek and French (with accents). It's for not LaTeX using, it's for Illustrator. So I would like to find it in OTF, TTF, or PFB formats. Thank you very match, M.P. Peremax <maxperemail-site@yahoo.fr> wrote: > Hello, > > I try to find Computer Modern fonts (like CM-Super) with all special > characters like Greek and French (with accents). It's for not LaTeX > using, it's for Illustrator. So I would like to find it in OTF, TTF, > or PFB formats. Try the Latin...

Latin Modern Fonts on MikTeX
Hello, I just installed the Latin Modern fonts in my MikTeX distribution, following the instructions in the UK TeX FAQ. More exactly: - I copied the content of the lm directory on CTAN into my texmf tree; - I added "Map lm.map" (without quotes) in the texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg file; - I ran mkfntmap.exe. All this worked. I added \usepackage{lmodern}\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in one of my LaTeX files. I compiled it using pdfTeX. So far, so good. Now, if I want to display the resulting file, Acrobat tells me it couldn't find the fonts in the resource dictionary. If I compile the fi...

Modern.ttf font file requested
Hi, I have bought a Dell computer almost 2 years ago with the Modern (modern.ttf) font file already installed and I am not talking about the modern.fon file. I use the Windows XP Home Edition. When I have first reinstalled Windows, I have not had any problems. When I reinstalled Windows the second time and thereafter, the modern.ttf file was missing and the disk may be damaged. I have already looked for it in Google and other search engines and have had no success. There happened to be one modern.ttf file found, but it was the wrong one. Instead the name of that particular font started w...

Computer Modern font for Microsoft Word
hi there, i want to write documents in Microsoft Word using the default font of LaTEX, which is Computer Modern. I haven't been able to find and download it in the web. I would be grateful if anybody could help me with this. thanx, alp Hi Alp, Maybe this is of some help: http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl&lr=&threadm=7LQr5.1091%24x85.111372%40p aloalto-snr1.gtei.net&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522Computer%2BModern%2522% 2Bttf%2Bdownload%26hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D%26selm%3D7LQr5.1091%2524x85.111372%2540pa loalto-snr1.gtei.net%26rnum%3D2 CU ...::Pro::.. "alp karatekin&qu...

What fonts look like Computer Modern?
Hi, is there anyone who can suggest fonts that look passably like Computer Modern? I'm on OS X 10.5.6 so if the fonts recommended are part of OS X that would be a major plus! Many thanks in advance, - g In article <d0e77e9d-3f0d-492a-872c-ff23bc6d15d4 @v5g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, geometric.patterns@gmail.com says... > > Hi, is there anyone who can suggest fonts that look passably like > Computer Modern? > > I'm on OS X 10.5.6 so if the fonts recommended are part of OS X that > would be a major plus! > > Many thanks in advance, > > - g...

Wishes for the Latin Modern font family
In the German newsgroup de.comp.text.tex, ther has been a discussion about the beta version of the new Latin Modern font family. The result is that is is quite good but still has some shortcomings. In order to collect them and other wishes for new versions, I have generated a www page at <URL:http://pc52.ifw.ing.tu-bs.de/~harders/latex/lmodern.html>. If you have found other shortcomings or if you have other wishes, please post them here or send me an eMail. I think it is a good idea to offer Jacko some help with the Latin Modern fonts (as I have done already). Yours Harald -- Harald...

problems with the computer modern TTF / OTF fonts
I've been trying to get some of the Computer Modern fonts in TTF / OTF format and what I'm seeing is confusing me. ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/cise/ftp-mirrors0/ctan.tug.org/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/ttf/ ....shows 140 fonts, while... ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/cise/ftp-mirrors0/ctan.tug.org/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/otf/ ....shows 152. And they're not the same, either. cmmi9.ttf contains numbers while cmmi9.otf does not. Why the inconsistency? And why aren't the fontnames uppercase? Whenever I try to open a document, in Adobe Illustrator, that uses the Computer Modern font, the ...

Well-behaved greek font encoding which is not LGR?
Hi, First of all, let me say I'm absolutely bound to use pdftex for this, so no way to switch to LuaTeX or any other 16-bit encoded system which doesn't have this kind of problem. I'm trying to typeset some "modern greek" (monotonic?) text for a product catalogue, which means the unicode range starting around x0374. I don't care at all for ancient greek located around x1F00. The problem now is that this text is combined with "standard ASCII", that is latin letters and signs like $%&#@. So far, I'm using LGR font encoding, but it supports almost ...

How do I use Computer Modern fonts in Adobe Illustrator?
I am using Illustrator on a Macintosh running OSX 10.4.11 to create drawings which I export as eps files and include in LaTeX (PDF) documents using the epstopdf package that is included with my 2005 edition of teTeX. I would like to use LaTeX Computer Modern fonts (probably just 12 pt upright and italic) when I add text to the drawings, but I don't know how to make the Computer Modern fonts available to Illustrator? All I know about adding a new font to OSX is that I am supposed to put the font into the Library/Fonts folder. Is there a Computer Modern file, folder or font suitcase that I ...

Title page font to go with Computer Modern
This must be a fairly common type of question, so apologies if my googling around has missed the obvious resource to answer it. But here goes ... I've a book going through the press with, set in Computer Modern 10/12.5pt. (I use CM sans serif for chapter headings, section headings, and running heads. I don't use bold face anywhere.) The University Press's designers are very happy with the layout (thanks to the memoir class!), except for the title page. At the moment, it is -- minus spacing -- \huge\textrm{An Introduction to}\\ \HUGE\textrm{G\"odel's Theorems}\\ \hug...

Req: "Bernhard Modern Bold"
Thx chatman wrote: > Thx\ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bernhard Modern Bold BT as well as WSI's version, Bernadette Bold, can be downloaded at Webpage Publicity: http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts-b2.html#Free%20Fonts Bill <BillsRREmpire@gmail.com> wrote >=20 > Bernhard Modern Bold BT as well as WSI's version, Bernadette Bold, can > be downloaded at Webpage Publicity: >=20 > http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts-b2.html#Free%20Fonts You know that you are supporting font ...