Which To Use - Times, Times Roman, Times New Roman

Is Times the standard serif font? I'm deciding which font to use for a book I'm
writing. My printer, HP 4ML PostScript, has the resident PostScript font Times
Roman (strangely, the bold, italic and bold italic are Times). I recall that
PageMaker 5 pushed for using Times. I now have PageMaker 7, and in its font
list (the same list that appears in any application) is Times and Times New
Roman. Would appreciate your explanation as to how resident printer fonts
relate to whatever font I select from the font list (these are usually True
Type, although there are other kinds). Also, a recommendation as to which Times
font to use, or if another serif font has replaced it as being the most
conventional.

Neil
Cat Paintings At Carol Wilson Gallery
http://www.carolwilsongallery.com
comp.fonts 4623 articles. 2 followers. margulisd (51) is leader. Post Follow

Nhmiller wrote:

> Is Times the standard serif font? I'm deciding which font to use for a book I'm
> writing. My printer, HP 4ML PostScript, has the resident PostScript font Times
> Roman (strangely, the bold, italic and bold italic are Times). I recall that
> PageMaker 5 pushed for using Times. I now have PageMaker 7, and in its font
> list (the same list that appears in any application) is Times and Times New
> Roman. Would appreciate your explanation as to how resident printer fonts
> relate to whatever font I select from the font list (these are usually True
> Type, although there are other kinds). Also, a recommendation as to which Times
> font to use, or if another serif font has replaced it as being the most
> conventional.
>
> Neil
> Cat Paintings At Carol Wilson Gallery
> http://www.carolwilsongallery.com

Just say No.

The fact that some version of Times New Roman (Times is a knockoff;
Times roman is just the normal, i.e., non-italic, non-bold, face in the
Times family) is the "most conventional," to use your phrase, should
never be a justification for using it where something else is a better
choice; and in a book, almost anything else is a better choice. Times
New Roman was designed for, and looks good in, a narrow newspaper
column. It is used in cheap paperback novels for economic reasons (lots
of words on a page means fewer pages to print).

In a book you want something that is less condensed, more open, possibly
with longer ascenders and descenders, which will be more inviting to read.

You say your printer is HP 4ML PostScript (the fellow must be very
dedicated to his craft to have changed his name to that). I thought you
were _writing_ a book. If that's the case, why are even thinking about
font choice at this stage? That's a design decision that can be made
later, after the manuscript is complete. At that point you can consult
with Mr. PostScript or any other competent printer about your economic
choices regarding page size, number of pages, etc. This will to some
extent constrain your choice of fonts, but you certainly don't have to
settle for Times; you most definitely do not have to produce your book
on a desktop laser printer; and you are never restricted to the fonts
resident on any device.

0
Dick
8/29/2004 3:13:28 AM
Dick Margulis writes:

> In a book you want something that is less condensed, more open, possibly
> with longer ascenders and descenders, which will be more inviting to read.

Suggestions?

Mxsmanic
8/29/2004 3:43:12 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Dick Margulis writes:
>

>>In a book you want something that is less condensed, more open, possibly
>>with longer ascenders and descenders, which will be more inviting to read.
>

> Suggestions?

The original question did not provide sufficient information about the
nature of the book to support any specific suggestions.

If I were to ask you, writing under some androgynous pseudonym such as
the ones often adopted by people in a.b.f, "what should I wear?" you
might reasonably want to know something about my sex, age, height,
weight, and physical attractiveness. You might also want to know about
where I am, the climate, the season, today's weather, and both the place
and occasion I was getting dressed to go to, before giving me an
intelligent suggestion. It's much the same with recommending a font.

0
Dick
8/29/2004 10:57:34 AM
Dick Margulis writes:

> The original question did not provide sufficient information about the
> nature of the book to support any specific suggestions.

It appeared to provide enough information to support the suggestion that
he not use Times.

Mxsmanic
8/29/2004 12:26:31 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Dick Margulis writes:
>

>>The original question did not provide sufficient information about the
>>nature of the book to support any specific suggestions.
>

> It appeared to provide enough information to support the suggestion that
> he not use Times.

That's a safe suggestion under most circumstances outside of newspaper work.

0
Dick
8/29/2004 1:06:05 PM
Mxsmanic wrote:
> Dick Margulis writes:
>

>>The original question did not provide sufficient information about the
>>nature of the book to support any specific suggestions.
>

> It appeared to provide enough information to support the suggestion that
> he not use Times.

To continue Dick's analogy, Times would be the equivalent of a Pink,
Orange, Purple and Blue plaid size 96 garment. Yes, it MIGHT be
appropriate in some specific circumstance, but he's saying that it's a
pretty safe bet that it wouldn't be for a book.

  - Character
0
Character
8/29/2004 1:50:47 PM

Character wrote:

> Mxsmanic wrote:
>
>> Dick Margulis writes:
>>

>>> The original question did not provide sufficient information about
>>> the nature of the book to support any specific suggestions.
>>

>> It appeared to provide enough information to support the suggestion that
>> he not use Times.
>

> To continue Dick's analogy, Times would be the equivalent of a Pink,
> Orange, Purple and Blue plaid size 96 garment.

Okay, ya got me. I guess I have to take another bag to the Salvation
Army drop box.

0
Dick
8/29/2004 1:53:03 PM
Dick Margulis writes:

> That's a safe suggestion under most circumstances outside of newspaper work.

Then what would be a safe suggestion to use in its place?

Mxsmanic
8/29/2004 1:59:40 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Dick Margulis writes:
>

>>That's a safe suggestion under most circumstances outside of newspaper work.
>

> Then what would be a safe suggestion to use in its place?

You are asking a meaningless question. Would you ask a composer, "What's
the best note?"

Tell us something about the book. What sort of book is it--a coffee
table art book, a novel, a textbook, a humor book, a political screed?
.... Is the book illustrated with black line drawings? With color
photographs? With nothing at all? ... What is the subject? What is the
style and diction of the author? Does the book stand alone or in the
context of other books? How long is the book? How will it be marketed
(traditional publisher? mail order self-published? eBook for online
reading? ... ) What is the price point you're aiming for? If you are
printing the book, how many copies do you anticipate printing the first
time?

Once you start down the rabbit hole of book design, these and a hundred
other questions come into play. They lead you to some ideas about paper
choice, page size, margins (not reductionist certainties, merely a
narrowed ranges of choice). These choices, in turn, help guide you to
some ideas about what might be appropriate fonts. After that, it comes
down to esthetic judgment, personal taste, and availability/cost
considerations.

Of the thousands of available text faces, there might be a hundred or
more that could be used appropriately in any given project. Of those,
the designer might have a dozen that he or she is personally familiar
with and attracted to. Of those, the other decision-makers might or
might not have personal favorites.

So it is absurd to ask for a single safe suggestion to use in the
general category "book"; there is no single answer.

And we haven't even touched the subject of whether to have a display
face that is different from the text face, nor what to do about the
cover and dust jacket.

0
Dick
8/29/2004 2:52:40 PM
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:09:54 -0400, Nhmiller wrote
(in article <20040828210954.16633.00002614@mb-m22.aol.com>):

> Would appreciate your explanation as to how resident printer fonts
> relate to whatever font I select from the font list (these are usually True
> Type, although there are other kinds).

Okay, back to your original question.... This has to do with the ways that
fonts appear in your applications: the operating system's Fonts folder, a
type manager, local application folders, or the printer driver.

Operating system's fonts folder

This item doesn't need a lot of explanation. Well, maybe this: If you wonder
why fonts with file extensions of FON don't appear in some applications, it's
because those applications have been instructed not to (meaning that some
apps will let you use them, some won't). Word, for instance, cannot use
FON-type fonts. Notepad can.

Type managers

These applications, such as Adobe Type Manager, allow you to turn on fonts
that are in locations other than the system's Fonts folder.

Local application folders

Some applications (Illustrator, for example), can use a local fonts folder,
which is simply a folder tucked away inside the main Illustrator folder. If
the application folder is the only location of the fonts and they are not
enabled through a type manager, fonts installed to this folder won't be seen
by other programs.

If you have fonts in a local folder, you can move them into your main font
library and delete them from the local folder, thereby making them available
to all your applications and not using any additional disk space.

Printer drivers

When you install a printer, the printer driver provides some feedback to the
operating system, identifying the fonts that it believes are resident within
the printer. These fonts may or may not be installed on your computer, which
can lead to numerous problems.

Windows, thinking that it's doing you a favor, lets you use these resident
fonts in applications even if they are not actually installed on your
computer. That's why when a PostScript printer is your default printer, you
can use Times, but when you switch to a non-PostScript printer, it
disappears. If the real Times font is installed and enabled via the operating
system or via a type manager, it will be available throughout all
applications that can use Type 1 and available no matter which printer your
are attached to.

0
Tim
8/31/2004 12:08:42 AM
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:13:28 -0400, Dick Margulis wrote
(in article <10j2ijjp660p192@news.supernews.com>):

> The fact that some version of Times New Roman (Times is a knockoff;
> Times roman is just the normal, i.e., non-italic, non-bold, face in the
> Times family)

This is an interesting write-up on its history:

http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/articles/times.htm

0
Tim

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

font installation -- only roman font available
I installed an OT font using autoinst, moved all the .fd and .sty files to the appropriate places, and texhashed (I was guessing about that last bit, but I read that I was supposed to 'update the database' and it looked like I was supposed to use texhash). When I invoke the font family with \usepackage{}, I get the standard Roman type, but not italics or small caps. I haven't tried any other fancy stuff, so I don't know whether old-style figures or swashes, e.g., are available. Where should I look for the problem? and what should I try when I find it? Thanks in advance -- On Sep 12, 2:54 am, J Hill <antiq...@gmail.com> wrote: > Where should I look for the problem? and what should I try when I find > it? You could start by giving more details about what's going wrong. Please send a mail to autoinst's maintainer (me) containing: - autoinst's log: autoinst --verbose (..other options and files..) >autoinst.log 2>&1 - a *minimal* example of a document showing italics and/or small caps not working. Marc ...

RomanS font???
Hi, I would like to know if someone experienced problems with the RomanS font. People here, all ACAD users, doesn't like the Century Gothic default font because it's to compact when scaled to fit from A1 to A3. The RomanS font doesn't come out well when printed on an A1 sheet: it prints like an old dactylo machine lacking of ink. What could be the problem? Is there other recommanded fonts? And what about the diameter sign, it comes out in thin lines almost not visible no matter what font I use? Thanks JC JC, I'm not sure what to do on the AutoCAD font, but we use Arial on all of our drawings. To me it looks much better than RomanS. (Just my opinion) :-) Best of Luck, Ricky Jordan John23 wrote: > Hi, > I would like to know if someone experienced problems with the RomanS > font. People here, all ACAD users, doesn't like the Century Gothic > default font because it's to compact when scaled to fit from A1 to > A3. The RomanS font doesn't come out well when printed on an A1 > sheet: it prints like an old dactylo machine lacking of ink. > What could be the problem? Is there other recommanded fonts? > And what about the diameter sign, it comes out in thin lines almost not > visible no matter what font I use? > Thanks > JC Looks like symbol's line thk. is controlled by "Line Weights" (Normal) in print menu if you want symbols really mach the text you can use Alt+0248 for � (dia) , Alt+248 for �(d...

Req: Roman font
can anyone help with a roman looking font thanks in advance jamie jamie major wrote: > can anyone help with a roman looking font How about Adobe Trajan? "jamie major" <enquiries@gpmu.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4mShb.322$Gf5.173@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>... > can anyone help with a roman looking font See <http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/tbp/topic/romworx/> ...

roman font with slides package
Hello, how can I get text in roman font when using the slides package? Wolfgang Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote: > Hello, > > how can I get text in roman font when using the slides package? > > Wolfgang Related question: How can I make all math set in roman font when using the slides package? Or is there a reason why numbers are set in sans serif whereas variables are set in roman font? Wolfgang Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb: > > is there a reason why numbers are set in sans serif > whereas variables are set in roman font? Yes: there is no sans-serif italic math font in the Computer Modern typeface family. Walter Wolfgang Jeltsch <jeltsch@tu-cottbus.de> writes: > Related question: How can I make all math set in roman font when using the > slides package? Or is there a reason why numbers are set in sans serif > whereas variables are set in roman font? Sounds like the opposite of sansmath.sty Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

Help identifying Roman font
Hi all, I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any help. It is shown in the GIF image at http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX. Note the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679.. In fact I generated the image, but the unknown font is an automatic substitute for the intended font (which I don't have), and *I want to know what this substitute font is*. I have spent some time and could not track it down anywhere on my computer, nor extract it from configuration files. I searched online font libraries with no luck, and whatthefont.com and identifont.com don't get it right. I think it must be some very basic Postscript Times Roman font, since it was substituted for a font named 'Times-Roman' within an EPS figure, whereas I have no font of such name installed. Many thanks for any positive IDs, Milos In article <1143538472.163209.37080@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Milos" <milos@mit.edu> wrote: > Hi all, > > I am struggling to identify a font and would greatly appreciate any > help. It is shown in the GIF image at > http://mit.edu/milos/www/romanfont2.gif > alongside Times New Roman, and Computer Modern Roman 10 from TeX. Note > the '2' in particular, as well as the characters jJQ5679.. > > In fact I generated the image, but the unknown font is an automatic > substitute for th...

How to use/deliver new fonts ?
Is there a way to *use* a new font without installing it before ? I mean, I have a font-file "abc.ttf" not yet installed; How can I use it from a tcl application ? Example: If I deliver a new tcl 'application' made of few files main.tcl mylogo.gif myfont.ttf , should I install this new font before using ? Is there a platform-independent way to install (or better, to use without installing) the new font-file ? Thanks for your help, Aldo ...

Roman font for functions in math mode
A referee on one of my papers states: "Functions should appear in roman font (not in italics) in Math mode." This works ok if I replace "cos" by "\cos" and "sin" by "\sin" for example, but it doesn't work if LaTeX doesn't know the function it tries to parse. For example, "\W" doesn't work for an arbitrary function W or even for the regular function symbol "f", which in math mode LaTeX makes italic. I have the same problem with some Maple notation. If I use "RootOf" in math mode, LaTeX thinks it's a product of variables and the spacing is all wrong. What should I use in place of unknown functions to have LaTeX image them in roman font and not in italics? Thanks much in advance, -- I.N. Galidakis http://tinyurl.com/ye57yc On 25-01-2007 11:57, Ioannis wrote: > A referee on one of my papers states: > > "Functions should appear in roman font (not in italics) in Math mode." > > This works ok if I replace "cos" by "\cos" and "sin" by "\sin" for example, > but it doesn't work if LaTeX doesn't know the function it tries to parse. For > example, "\W" doesn't work for an arbitrary function W or even for the regular > function symbol "f", which in math mode LaTeX makes italic. I bet that the referee was *not* thinking about W or _f_. > I have the same problem with some Mapl...

Roman quotation marks when using xeCJK
Hi all, xeCJK shows Roman quotation marks in the CJK font. How can I force xeCJK to set the following quotation marks in the Roman font: =93 U+210C =94 U+210D =91 U+2018 =92 U+2019 Note that I use \punctstyle{fullwidth} but need that for the punctuation of the CJK periods in the CJK text. See also: https://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/issues/detail?id=3D75 Thanks, Pander On Mar 15, 10:05=A0am, Pander <pan...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote: > Hi all, > > xeCJK shows Roman quotation marks in the CJK font. How can I force > xeCJK to set the following quotation marks in the Roman font: > =A0 =A0 =A0=93 U+210C > =A0 =A0 =A0=94 U+210D This should be: =93 U+201C =94 U+201D > =A0 =A0 =A0=91 U+2018 > =A0 =A0 =A0=92 U+2019 > > Note that I use \punctstyle{fullwidth} but need that for the > punctuation of the CJK periods in the CJK text. > > See also: > =A0https://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/issues/detail?id=3D75 > > Thanks, > > Pander ...

Font problems wit Frutiger Roman
I'm trying to solve a font problem for someone else. I'm working non- commercially. An EPS-Graphic for a map replaces accented characters by nonsensical glyphs. Photoshop, Illustrator and PSAlter show a warning: Frutiger Roman is used, but not available on this PC. InDesign shows no warning. Photoshop: shows visually a wrong glyph for the accented character .... a Phi instead of =E9 (e with accent) Illustrator: applies font substitution, shows visually a correct glyph, but it's probably the wrong font (at least for the accented character). InDesign: shows visually a wrong glyph PSAlter: customer font substitution by Helvetica, visually correct glyph Solutions: 1. Open by Illustrator and save as (new) EPS. Photoshop shows visually correct glyphs. 2. Install font Frutiger Roman. I did this. It does not solve the problem. Windows font name: Frutiger Roman PostScript font name: Frutiger 55 Font name in EPS: Frutiger-Roman Sounds like a name confusion. Thanks for some assistence. Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann Gernot Hoffmann wrote: > I'm trying to solve a font problem for someone else. I'm working non- > commercially. > > An EPS-Graphic for a map replaces accented characters by nonsensical > glyphs. > > Photoshop, Illustrator and PSAlter show a warning: Frutiger Roman is > used, > but not available on this PC. > > InDesign shows no warning. > > Photoshop: shows visually a wrong glyph for the accented char...

Converting decimal to roman using sed
Hi This is a sed script to convert some decimal number between 1 and 4999 in roman: --- s/1...$/M&/;s/2...$/MM&/;s/3...$/MMM&/;s/4...$/MMMM&/ s/6..$/DC&/;s/7..$/DCC&/;s/8..$/DCCC&/;s/9..$/CM&/ s/1..$/C&/;s/2..$/CC&/;s/3..$/CCC&/;s/4..$/CD&/;s/5..$/D&/ s/6.$/KX&/;s/7.$/LXX&/;s/8.$/LXXX&/;s/9.$/XC&/ s/1.$/X&/;s/2.$/XX&/;s/3.$/XXX&/;s/4.$/XL&/;s/5.$/L&/ s/1$/I/;s/2$/II/;s/3$/III/;s/4$/IV/;s/5$/V/ s/6$/VI/;s/7$/VII/;s/8$/VIII/;s/9$/IX/ s/[0-9]//g --- sed -f script.sed <<EOF 1 51 404 1056 4999 EOF I LI...

While using Shell to open a new instance of same database, using vbHide to Hide the new instance fails.
I have some long Excel routines that I would like to run from my database in a hidden, second instance of the same Access db. The macro I pass to the shell command to open the second instance contains code to 'Hide' the database (from Dev's site) and also the code which runs the Excel routine. It then quits the database when the code has finished running. Here is my code to open a new instance of my db: NewDBID = Shell(AccessDir & "msaccess.EXE " & strFileName & ShellMacro, vbNormal) This works fine -- except that I get the flash on the screen before the macro passed in the argument fires, hides the window, and begins the Excel export routine. When I change the Shell window argument to 'vbHide,' it hides the first instance of the db(which fired the shell command) and brings me to the main menu of the second instance -- not what I want. The first instance should have the focus at all times, while the second runs hidden. I would like to find a way to avoid this flashing when the second db opens, just before the 'Hide' code runs -- any ideas? ...

mixing italic and roman in the math italic font
To allow for kerning between them, it would be nice to have as many math characters as possible in the "math italic" font. For example, suppose one is using upright uppercase Greek. Then, in the math italic font, one might put italic Latin letters (lc and uc), lowercase slanted Greek letters, uppercase upright Greek letters, upright punctuation, upright lining figures, and the normal sizes of all upright brackets. Would it be a problem to mix upright and slanted/italic glyphs in the same math font? As far as I can tell, the slant parameter of a font is not used in math mode: accents are placed using kerns with the \skewchar and subscripts/superscript positions are adjusted with individual characters italic corrections. Correct? tim van zandt Timothy Van Zandt schrieb: > > Would it be a problem to mix upright and slanted/italic glyphs in the > same math font? As far as I can tell, the slant parameter of a font is > not used in math mode: accents are placed using kerns with the \skewchar > and subscripts/superscript positions are adjusted with individual > characters italic corrections. Correct? I think you are correct. One math font of mine (Minion+MathTime) is arranged this way, i.e., upright and italic Greek letters reside in the same VF, without problems. Walter ...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

roman numerals in section numbers using titlesec
Hello. I am using the titlesec package and am trying to figure out how to get roman numerals rather than regular (hindu arabic?) numbers? For example... II. Methods not 2. Methods Right now, I have... \usepackage{titlesec} \titleformat{\section} {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}{\thesection.}{1em} {} % for periods after section numbers Where exactly do I add \Roman? Thanks. alan Alan <aslitwin@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hello. > > I am using the titlesec package and am trying to figure out how to get > roman numerals rather than regular (hindu arabic?) numbers? > > For example... > > II. Methods > > not > 2. Methods > > Right now, I have... > > \usepackage{titlesec} > \titleformat{\section} {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}{\thesection.}{1em} > {} % for periods after section numbers > > Where exactly do I add \Roman? \renewcommand{\thesection}{\Roman{section}} Ciao Enrico ...

New Harpoon Classic Scenario: Roman Thunder
Mark Gellis has released the 36th scenario of the year. Looks like another episode in the Global War on Terror. Thanks for sharing it with the community. Roman Thunder � ALBAT10A - EC2003 MEDC A few years in the future... Tensions between Algeria and the E.U. have increased. Algeria is now controlled by a religious dictatorship that is hostile to the West. The E.U. believes Algeria is responsible for several recent terrorist attacks in Europe. Current thinking in Europe is that the most likely solution to the problem is regime change. Intelligence officers have been in co...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

"Old Fashioned" Roman Font with Ligatures?
Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so any help will be greatly appreciated. I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means) Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) for Windows word processing programs which has several "old fashioned" ligatures: ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ct, st, ae, oe (the latter two in upper/lowercase) I am willing to pay value for value. Thanks very much for any assistance. -- Paul Bartlett On 6/27/2011 1:28 PM, Paul Bartlett wrote: > Not being any kind of expert, I am not sure how to do my searching, so > any help will be greatly appreciated. > > I am looking for some sort of "old fashioned" (whatever that means) > Roman font (TTF/OTF, preferably the former) There's no reason to prefer TTF to OTF unless you're using som application that doesn't recognize anything but TTF because it does its own font rendering, such as some embroidery software. OTF fonts are much more likely to contain extenstive ligatures. > for Windows word processing programs If you mean Microsoft/IBM/OpenOffice, then you may find that in some cases the ligatures will be in the fonts, but they will not be accessible! More recent applications such as Office 2010 have increased capability, but still not up to the level of other Windows programs such as Adobe InDesign, which can make full use of OpenType features, including both automatic and discretionary liga...

printing report in vertical using courier new font
I have a report that pulls it's information from a text file. I have the report (Invoice) set up to print some of it in vertical and some of it in portrait. Problem: the verticle won't select the courier new font. It defaults to a font (which I don't know). The portrait uses Courier New. Does anyone know if there is a known issue with printing Courier New in verticle in Access 2003? It works in Access 2002. This is a known issue. If I remember correctly it has to do with Unicode vs non Unicode font(s). If you perform a GoogleGroups search I'm sure you will find the relevant threads. -- HTH Stephen Lebans http://www.lebans.com Access Code, Tips and Tricks Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can benefit. <tminihan@pskansas.com> wrote in message news:1139593172.557210.273360@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a report that pulls it's information from a text file. I have > the report (Invoice) set up to print some of it in vertical and some of > it in portrait. Problem: the verticle won't select the courier new > font. It defaults to a font (which I don't know). The portrait uses > Courier New. > > Does anyone know if there is a known issue with printing Courier New in > verticle in Access 2003? It works in Access 2002. > ...

Converting integers to Roman Numerals using switchcase and printf
I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the switch statment. Help? A switch statement is shorthand for a series of if/then/else statements. dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: >I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output >in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only >printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the >switch statment. Help? -- Regards, Casey Please do not top post. dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: >> I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output >> in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only >> printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the >> switch statment. Help? Casey Hawthorne wrote: > A switch statement is shorthand for a series of if/then/else > statements. I read the OP's question as how to use a switch statement but not have output occur within it. If that interpretation is correct: If you cannot put the output inside the switch, where else can you put it? What information needs to be available at that point in order to produce the desired output? -- Lew dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: > I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output > in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or printl...

I am buying all of the below Cisco equipment USED OR NEW. NOTE some line items say new or used, but I will buy them in both conditions. #2
I am buying all of the below Cisco equipment USED OR NEW. NOTE some line items say new or used, but I will buy them in both conditions. I am also buying Cisco equipment that is not listed as well. I also buy equipment from Brocade, Juniper, Foundry, HP, IBM, Nortel, Lucent and others. WS-SUP720-3B=3D WS-SUP720-3BXL=3D WS-X6548-GE-TX WS-X6748-GE-TX=3D WS-SUP32-GE-3B=3D WS-SUP32-10GE-3B WS-X6708-10GE WS-X6708-10G-3C WS-X6716-10GE WS-X6716-10G-3C=3D WS-X6148-GE-TX=3D WS-X6148A-GE-TX=3D WS-X6582-2PA=3D WS-X6724-SFP=3D WS-X6704-10GE=3D WS-F6700-DFC3BXL WS-SVC-FWM-1-K9 WS...

Roman font doesn't change, conflict with fontspec or T1?
Hi, could anyone tell me why in this example, the "normal" font is not MinionPro? \documentclass{scrartcl} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[minionint,mathlf]{MinionPro} \usepackage{fontspec} \setsansfont{Myriad Pro} \begin{document} \section{Heading} The Cauchy integral formula... \end{document} Basically, I just want to use MyriadPro-Semibold for the headings but MinionPro with MnSymbol for all other stuff. Since I didn't manage to install MyriadPro through otftotfm, I decided to use XeLaTeX. But now I just don't get how I can use both fonts at the same time. When I use one single font of those two, it works fine. Maybe there is a conflict with this fontspec-Package? I'd be happy if someone could look over it and perhaps tell me how LaTeX does what I want it to do :-) Thanks in advance! Btw.: I also posted this on LaTeX-Community. Am Thu, 14 May 2009 02:58:39 -0700 (PDT) schrieb jbmaier@web.de: > Hi, > > could anyone tell me why in this example, the "normal" font is not > MinionPro? > > \documentclass{scrartcl} > \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} > \usepackage[minionint,mathlf]{MinionPro} > \usepackage{fontspec} > > \setsansfont{Myriad Pro} > > \begin{document} > \section{Heading} > The Cauchy integral formula... > \end{document} fontspec sets the default fonts to latin modern. So you must reset it with \setmainfon...

Swing Font, it's Java Font? ot native? how install new font?
Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use with window API to draw the font on the screen? if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? and how I can install new one, or maybe install Window Font? mttc wrote: > Font from Swing controls, is native (windows) font, or it's not use > with window API to draw the font on the screen? I think both. Java has it's own fonts, and it will use the native (Windows) ones too. > if not, where I can see what font available on my Java system? <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/...

Setting verbatim font to roman family causes special characters to display improperly
All, At the end of my style file, I have added the following line: \setverbatimfont{\normalfont\rmfamily} I was wanting the font to correspond to the remainder of my document, and and also, I was wanting to be able to get more characters on a line without wrapping. When I add the above parameter, the following characters don't display properly, ">", and "{", for example. Is there a way to get the special characters to print normally, or do I need to shorten my lines? Thanks, Diana M. Diana <diana.mecum@gmail.com> wrote: > All, > > At the end of my style file, I have added the following line: > > \setverbatimfont{\normalfont\rmfamily} > > I was wanting the font to correspond to the remainder of my document, > and and also, I was wanting to be able to get more characters on a > line without wrapping. > > When I add the above parameter, the following characters don't display > properly, > > ">", and "{", for example. Is there a way to get the special > characters to print normally, or do I need to shorten my lines? \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} Ciao Enrico ...

Used fonts in Indesign that are not really used
This is an odd glitch that I have come across twice now in the last two weeks. When I package Indesign CS documents, it includes fonts (in both cases a variant of Tahoma) that it claims are used somewhere in the document. However, this font is not used anywhere. If I try & replace the font with another, it still remains there. If I look at further details, it says: Character Count - 0 Page - None Now if I delete every text box from the document it goes, but never until the last box has been deleted, no matter which box that is. If I try & find & replace it, it doesn't find anything. Now in one document it is on the first page, but in the other it doesn't appear untill about page 68. Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to get rid of it from the document? -- Matthew Taylor www.mtaylor.co.uk www.elginism.com In article <KrOdnRGfM9DoUrPeRVnyiA@pipex.net>, Matthew Taylor <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote: > Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how to > get rid of it from the document? Is it used in a paragraph or character style? -- September 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. Just Do It. Arrrr. Dave Balderstone wrote: > In article <KrOdnRGfM9DoUrPeRVnyiA@pipex.net>, Matthew Taylor > <matthew.DONOTSPAM@NOSPAM.mtaylor.co.uk> wrote: > > >>Any suggestions what causes the appearance of this ghost font, or how...

Web resources about - Which To Use - Times, Times Roman, Times New Roman - comp.fonts

The Latest: Documents Say Man Killed Girl as Family Slept
The Latest: Court documents accuse a man who was drinking alcohol with the uncle of a 1-year-old Indiana girl of abducting, raping and killing ...

Georgia governor 'set an example for other elected officials,' Human Rights Campaign says of bill veto ...
The Human Rights Campaign, a LGBT civil rights advocacy group, said Gov. Nathan Deal "set an example for other elected officials to follow" by ...

Bart & Fleming: Ben Affleck’s Batman V Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool; Hollywood War Against Religious Right ...
Peter Bart and Mike Fleming Jr. worked together for two decades a t Daily Variety. In this weekly column, two old friends get together and grind ...

New details emerge about Sony’s rumored ‘Playstation 4.5’
Sony’s rumored Playstation 4.5 is a step closer to being reality. According to the Wall Street Journal’s sources, the more powerful brother of ...

Apple releases a new version of iOS 9.3 that won’t brick older devices
Shortly after Apple released iOS 9.3 into the wild last week, it had to stop distributing the update for several of its older devices. Days later, ...

Capture of Palmyra shows Russian forces still key in Syria
Russia's role in helping Syrian forces recapture the ancient city of Palmyra has left the West scrambling to figure out President Vladimir Putin's ...

Pandora Media's founder returns as CEO; shares fall
Reuters Pandora Media's founder returns as CEO; shares fall Reuters Online music streaming service Pandora Media Inc appointed founder Tim ...

Dell to sell Perot Systems unit to NTT Data at loss of $800 million
Dell founder and CEO Michael Dell. (credit: Oracle PR ) Dell has agreed to sell its IT services subsidiary, Dell Services, to NTT Data for $3.06 ...

‘The Walking Dead’ recap: When did our favorite characters get so stupid?
The sixth season of AMC’s The Walking Dead is almost over. Episode 15 aired a few hours ago and it made us question everything we thought we ...

California Dives Into the Unknown With $15 Minimum Wage
San Francisco and Los Angeles have already passed laws raising their minimum wages to $15 per hour. Now, in a victory for labor activists who ...