BadMatch with glXMakeCurrent

I am trying to get pbuffers working with glX.  The pbuffer
appears to be created correctly (lots of asserts never fail
and glXQueryGLXPbufferSGIX reports the correct sizes).
When I call glXMakeCurrent the first time with the pbuffer's
display, drawable, and context, I get

  X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  33

The man pages on glXMakeCurrent say that BadMatch is generated
if the drawable was not created with the same X screen and visual
as the context (or if the drawable is None and context is NULL, neither
condition occuring in my code).

I am trying to share a context, so
  Display* dpy = glXGetCurrentDisplay();
  int scr = DefaultScreen(dpy);
  GLXContext ctx = glXGetCurrentContext();
  int cfgCount;
  GLXFBConfig* cfg = glXGetFBConfigs(dpy,scr,&cfgCount);  // cfgCount is 48,
cfg not null
  int attr[] = { GLX_LARGEST_PBUFFER, 1, 0 };
  GLXPbuffer pbuf = glXCreateGLXPbufferSGIX(dpy,cfg[0],width,height,attr);
// pbuf not null
  // glXQueryGLXPbufferSGIX calls indicate success so far...
  glXMakeCurrent(dpy,pbuf,ctx);  // fails here with BadMatch

Any clues what the problem is?

--
Dave Eberly
http://www.geometrictools.com

0
Dave
5/17/2005 7:11:36 PM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7072 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Dave Eberly wrote:
> I am trying to get pbuffers working with glX.  The pbuffer
> appears to be created correctly (lots of asserts never fail
> and glXQueryGLXPbufferSGIX reports the correct sizes).
> When I call glXMakeCurrent the first time with the pbuffer's
> display, drawable, and context, I get
>
>   X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
>   Serial number of failed request:  33
>
> The man pages on glXMakeCurrent say that BadMatch is generated
> if the drawable was not created with the same X screen and visual
> as the context (or if the drawable is None and context is NULL, neither
> condition occuring in my code).
>
> I am trying to share a context, so
>   Display* dpy = glXGetCurrentDisplay();
>   int scr = DefaultScreen(dpy);
>   GLXContext ctx = glXGetCurrentContext();
>   int cfgCount;
>   GLXFBConfig* cfg = glXGetFBConfigs(dpy,scr,&cfgCount);  // cfgCount is 48,
> cfg not null
>   int attr[] = { GLX_LARGEST_PBUFFER, 1, 0 };
>   GLXPbuffer pbuf = glXCreateGLXPbufferSGIX(dpy,cfg[0],width,height,attr);
> // pbuf not null
>   // glXQueryGLXPbufferSGIX calls indicate success so far...
>   glXMakeCurrent(dpy,pbuf,ctx);  // fails here with BadMatch
>
> Any clues what the problem is?

Assuming that ctx is not NULL, then there is the question of whether the
context was created using the same FBConfig that was used to create the
Pbuffer (assuming the glXCreateNewContext was used to create the
context).  If the context was created by glXCreateContext, then you will
need to make sure that the FBConfig that you use to create the Pbuffer
is associated with the visual used to create the context (FBConfigs do
not have to be associated with an X visual id).  Since the
glXChooseFBConfig subroutine won't use the GLX_VISUAL_ID token, you will
have to loop through the list of FBConfigs that you received from
glXGetFBConfigs and use the glXGetFBConfigAttrib subroutine to get the
visual id associated with each FBConfig (if one exists) to find one that
matches the visual id used to create the context.   Once you find that
FBConfig, then you use it to create your Pbuffer and, hopefully, your
BadMatch will go away.

Jim Lahue
0
Jim
5/18/2005 12:42:05 PM
"Jim Lahue" <jmlahue@us.NO_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote in message

Thank you for taking the time to post help!

> Assuming that ctx is not NULL, then there is the question of whether the
> context was created using the same FBConfig that was used to create the
> Pbuffer (assuming the glXCreateNewContext was used to create the context).
> If the context was created by glXCreateContext, then you will need to make
> sure that the FBConfig that you use to create the Pbuffer is associated
> with the visual used to create the context (FBConfigs do not have to be
> associated with an X visual id).  Since the glXChooseFBConfig subroutine
> won't use the GLX_VISUAL_ID token, you will have to loop through the list
> of FBConfigs that you received from glXGetFBConfigs and use the
> glXGetFBConfigAttrib subroutine to get the visual id associated with each
> FBConfig (if one exists) to find one that matches the visual id used to
> create the context.   Once you find that FBConfig, then you use it to
> create your Pbuffer and, hopefully, your BadMatch will go away.

The original context was created by glXCreateContext.  I managed
to figure out how glXGetFBConfigAttrib works and looped through
the array of FBConfigs and found one whose visual ID matches that of
my "main" renderer.  The match occurred for a FBConfig that was
not the zero-th index of the array.  (I was using nVidia's pbuffer code
sample as a guide--they just grab the zero-th index FBConfig.)  The
BadMatch went away.

Unfortunately, my test application is still not working correctly after
this change.  I render the mesh to the pbuffer, copy it to a system
memory chunk, and then create a texture. The texture is attached to
a screen polygon.  (Still waiting on that graphics-hardware-agnostic
render-to-texture support on Linux.)  The mesh is rendered to the
backbuffer, and then the screen polygon is rendered to the
backbuffer, followed by the usual swap.  On my Windows machine,
I see the mesh in the center of the main window (gray background)
and the screen polygon with this same mesh in a corner of the main
window (white background).  On the Linux box, the screen polygon
shows up with a white background, but no mesh.  This is using
glXGetFBConfigs, glXGetFBConfigAttrib, glXCreateNewContext,
and glXCreatePbuffer to set up the pbuffer.

If I create the pbuffer instead using glXChooseFBConfigSGIX,
glXCreateContextWithConfigSGIX, and glXCreateGLXPbufferSGIX,
the screen polygon shows up correctly.

Additional hints are welcome.  Thanks.

--
Dave Eberly
http://www.geometrictools.com

0
Dave
5/18/2005 4:28:38 PM
Dave Eberly wrote:
<snip snip snip>

> The original context was created by glXCreateContext.  I managed
> to figure out how glXGetFBConfigAttrib works and looped through
> the array of FBConfigs and found one whose visual ID matches that of
> my "main" renderer.  The match occurred for a FBConfig that was
> not the zero-th index of the array.  (I was using nVidia's pbuffer code
> sample as a guide--they just grab the zero-th index FBConfig.)  The
> BadMatch went away.
>
> Unfortunately, my test application is still not working correctly after
> this change.  I render the mesh to the pbuffer, copy it to a system
> memory chunk, and then create a texture. The texture is attached to
> a screen polygon.  (Still waiting on that graphics-hardware-agnostic
> render-to-texture support on Linux.)  The mesh is rendered to the
> backbuffer, and then the screen polygon is rendered to the
> backbuffer, followed by the usual swap.  On my Windows machine,
> I see the mesh in the center of the main window (gray background)
> and the screen polygon with this same mesh in a corner of the main
> window (white background).  On the Linux box, the screen polygon
> shows up with a white background, but no mesh.  This is using
> glXGetFBConfigs, glXGetFBConfigAttrib, glXCreateNewContext,
> and glXCreatePbuffer to set up the pbuffer.
>
> If I create the pbuffer instead using glXChooseFBConfigSGIX,
> glXCreateContextWithConfigSGIX, and glXCreateGLXPbufferSGIX,
> the screen polygon shows up correctly.
>
> Additional hints are welcome.  Thanks.

Well, did you try using glXChooseFBConfig with the same attribute list
as you used in glXChooseFBConfigSGIX?  I'm not entirely sure that the
two accept exactly the same tokens (I think that the GLX 1.3 version is
a bit more strict in what it allows).   The search methodology used by
glXChooseFBConfig and glXChooseFBConfigSGIX do differ slightly but both
of them will probably be different from the
glXGetFBConfigs/glXGetFBConfigAttrib search method.

My guess is that you ended up using two different FBConfigs based on the
two different search methods:  one of the FBConfigs worked for you and
the other didn't.  This is just a guess, though.   I can't think of any
other reason why using the SGI versions of the subroutines should give
you different results from the GLX 1.3 versions of the subroutines.

Jim Lahue
0
Jim
5/19/2005 1:34:07 PM

> Well, did you try using glXChooseFBConfig with the same attribute list as
> you used in glXChooseFBConfigSGIX?

I am not using glXChooseFBConfig.  The two cases are (1) create
a pbuffer using the framebuffer's pixel format (via glXGetFBConfig)
and (2) create a pbuffer using a specified attribute list (via
glxChooseFBConfigSGIX).  A similar dichotomy is used on Windows.
A stripped down version of the functions acts as pseudocode (error
handling removed, for example).
http://www.geometrictools.com/Temp/pbuffer.txt
The WGL code works for either (1) or (2).  The GLX code only
works for (2).  As mentioned (1) leads to a white background (so I
know the clear call for a white background colors is working), but
no mesh.

Thanks again for your comments.  I only have to go through this
yet one more time--now on the Macintosh.  Apple has some
pbuffer extensions that appear to be documented.  I can only cross
my fingers and hope to see some working examples...

--
Dave Eberly
http://www.geometrictools.com

0
Dave
5/19/2005 6:16:10 PM
Dave Eberly wrote:
> "Jim Lahue" <jmlahue@us.NO_SPAM.ibm.com> wrote in message
>

>>Well, did you try using glXChooseFBConfig with the same attribute list as
>>you used in glXChooseFBConfigSGIX?
>

> I am not using glXChooseFBConfig.  The two cases are (1) create
> a pbuffer using the framebuffer's pixel format (via glXGetFBConfig)
> and (2) create a pbuffer using a specified attribute list (via
> glxChooseFBConfigSGIX).  A similar dichotomy is used on Windows.
> A stripped down version of the functions acts as pseudocode (error
> handling removed, for example).
> http://www.geometrictools.com/Temp/pbuffer.txt
> The WGL code works for either (1) or (2).  The GLX code only
> works for (2).  As mentioned (1) leads to a white background (so I
> know the clear call for a white background colors is working), but
> no mesh.
>
> Thanks again for your comments.  I only have to go through this
> yet one more time--now on the Macintosh.  Apple has some
> pbuffer extensions that appear to be documented.  I can only cross
> my fingers and hope to see some working examples...

It would seem that your results depend quite a bit on the type (and/or
number) of FBConfigs that exist on the system -- maybe it works on the
WGL system because it only supports a few FBConfigs and so you end up
with the same one no matter which method you use.   You may want to
write a short program that displays the resources available with each
FBConfig on the failing system and then see which FBConfig that your
program chooses in the good and bad cases and see what the differences are.

Jim Lahue
0
Jim
5/20/2005 3:34:25 PM
> It would seem that your results depend quite a bit on the type (and/or
> number) of FBConfigs that exist on the system -- maybe it works on the WGL
> system because it only supports a few FBConfigs and so you end up with the
> same one no matter which method you use.   You may want to write a short
> program that displays the resources available with each FBConfig on the
> failing system and then see which FBConfig that your program chooses in
> the good and bad cases and see what the differences are.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had printed out the FBConfig results
on the Linux box--48 possibilities.  Only one matched the visual
ID for the framebuffer associated with my application window.
From what I understand of your earlier post, that is the only one
I can use without getting a BadMatch.

Well, the SGIX version works for now and I'll just live with that.
At the rate graphics hardware/extensions are evolving for "buffer"
objects, hopefully the interfaces and usage will become simpler.
After all these years of OpenGL, you would think that there would
be some official wrapper/API to hide having to deal with the
platform-dependent calls for the more advance features....

--
Dave Eberly
http://www.geometrictools.com

0
Dave

status of Fortran API to Vulkan graphics (the "new" openGL)
As many might know, Vulkan has been released 2 days ago on Feb 16, 2016: https://www.khronos.org/news/archives "The Khronos Group announces the immediate availability of the Vulkan 1.0 royalty-free, open standard API specification. Vulkan provides high-efficiency, cross-platform access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs" This is the "new" openGL, called Vulkan. Any one knows if there is any work by any one or company to make a Fortran thin API for Vulkan? The API in in C as it stands. --Nasser "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message news:na55m5$n61$1@gioia.aioe.org... > As many might know, Vulkan has been released 2 days ago on Feb 16, 2016: > https://www.khronos.org/news/archives > "The Khronos Group announces the immediate availability of the Vulkan 1.0 > royalty-free, open standard API specification. Vulkan provides > high-efficiency, > cross-platform access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs" > This is the "new" openGL, called Vulkan. > Any one knows if there is any work by any one or company to make a > Fortran thin API for Vulkan? The API in in C as it stands. The header files look fairly easy to translate to Fortran, but installation of the drivers failed, so I won't be able to do anything with it. ...

OpenGL hardware acceleration for the LabVIEW's OpenGL graphics engine?

JAVA graphic API
Hello, I'm searching a java free graphic API to draw chart / Bars / Lines for 2 series on a double (lef and right axis) ? ANy suggestion ? On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:49:58 +0100, <Jean Gillet> wrote: > I'm searching a java free .. I take it you mean '(written in) Java (and) free', rather than 'without Java/lacking Java'. [ ;-) ] >..graphic.. Best group for things 'graphic'.. <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljg> >..API to draw chart / Bars / Lines <http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/computer-lang/java/gui/faq.html>...

OpenGL ES API
Can anybody please let me give some example code for 1) glReadPixel 2) glCompressTexSubImage2D 3) glQueryMatrixOES Any web site/link for the same would be also appreciated. Thanks in advance Ajay ajay.k@in.bosch.com ...

openGL for turtle graphics
I am developing a Logo-like turtle graphics system in the programming language J http://www.jsoftware.com/ . At present the system is implemented in a graphics system called "gl2". J is adopting "openGL" and I am assuming it is a much richer graphics environment. openGL likely includes sprites or layers or some other feature that would make managing turtles separately from the background much easier. There may also be openGL features for screen wraparound and slide controls for window scrolling. Are there any existing openGL implementations of such systems that I could ...

OpenGL api call ?
Hi all I am making some examples with openGL and I have one problem with two functions. "glGenTextures y glDeleteTextures." OpenGLLibrary>>glGenTextures: n textures: textures " Generate texture names void glGenTextures( GLsizei n, GLuint * textures); n: Specifies the number of texture names to be generated. textures: Specifies an array in which the generated texture names are stored." <stdcall: void glGenTextures sdword dword*> ^self invalidCall OpenGLLibrary>>glDeleteTex...

OpenGL API question
Most of the games, written for Windows, that aren't portable, use Direct X. Now and then, however, there's a game that uses Open GL and is _not_ portable... I am mystified why. Any ideas? keith wrote: > Most of the games, written for Windows, that aren't portable, use Direct > X. Now and then, however, there's a game that uses Open GL and is _not_ > portable... I am mystified why. Any ideas? Graphics is not the only part of a game. There are Sound, User Input and a lot of other potentially unportable stuff involved. However most game engines are very portable, and h...

Console graphics APIs
Does anyone know what graphics APIs are used for console programming (GameCube, PlayStation2, Xbox)? All three systems probably support OpenGL, and I can see the Xbox using DirectX. I'm asking because I plan on becoming a console games programmer and I'd like to know which I should learn first. //mike tyndall In article <1JudnbSKfsK4eI_cRVn-hA@comcast.com>, Mike Tyndall <swtyndall@hotmail.com> wrote: >Does anyone know what graphics APIs are used for console programming >(GameCube, PlayStation2, Xbox)? All three systems probably support OpenGL, >and...

Spinning OpenGL.Tk graphics
Python's OpenGL.Tk binding makes simple 3D drawing a snap! The default mouse keys for panning and sizing is left and right, for rotation it seems to be the middle key which is on just very few people's mouse nowadays. Of course I tried obvious and not so obvious shift/alt/contrl/mouse combinations- without any success. Is there a work-around? The docu for the binding is somewhat obscure and one has to guess a lot ;-) I haven't figured out yet how to use AutoSpin .... I am using Windows2000 Thanks for suggestions and may be hints to more detailed documentation. Michael Maybe ...

calling a graphics opengl program
Hi groups, I have written a program in opengl and i want to call this program when my xscreensaver gets called in such a way that the output of my opengl program should appear instead of any screensaver that is invoked by the xscreensaver.I want to know if we can do this,is it possible to do this or not.I would be thankful to you guys if you give me a reply. Thanks in advance, Bye. ...

Best graphics api for GUI?
Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily a linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in Java for a few years now (which is exceptionally easy, but perhaps only because I'm used to it), I was wondering if there were any 'easier' (for want of a better word) c++ gui apis one could consider? Cheers, Ben BrianJones <brian@jones1611.fsnet.co.uk> spoke thus: > Hi, what api would you all recommend for doing GUIs? Since I am primarily a > linux user, I was thinking of the GDK set, but having programmed GUIs in >...

What about Lisp and OpenGL (or other graphics libraries)??
I need to include some displays in a program so I would really like to have an opengl library, like C++ does. However, from what I have seen on the net, there is no standard library and what's there seems more like incomplete patchwork. Anyone knows how to gain graphical capabilities using Lisp? do I have to code that in C/C++ and then communicate through ports or something? Any and all help greatly appreciated :) ghostunit@gmail.com wrote: > I need to include some displays in a program so I would really like to > have an opengl library, like C++ does. However, from what I have ...

gforth: OpenGL Graphics Part I
---[ gforth: OpenGL Graphics Part I ]-----------------[07/01/2010]--- by Timothy Trussell ---[ Where We Are ]-------------------------------------------------- An introduction to implementing an OpenGL interface for gforth. ---[ What is OpenGL? ]----------------------------------------------- From the Wikipedia description of OpenGL: /-------------------------------------------------------------------\ OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) is a standard specification defining a cross-language, cross-platform API for writing applications that produce 2D and 3D computer g...

OpenGL For Non-Graphics Processing
I don't know if it's of interest to anyone in here, but I thought it may be worth mentioning a product that uses shaders to harness the processing power on modern GPU's, as it might turn a few wheels in your own minds. "BionicFX announced a technology for music production that turns NVIDIA video cards into audio effects processors. Audio Video Exchange (AVEX) converts digital audio into graphics data, and then performs effect calculations using the 3D architecture of the GPU. The latest video cards from NVIDIA are capable of more than 40 gigaflops of processing power c...

Line width with Graphics I API
Hi, I'm creating applets using JDK1.1.8 which doesn't use the Graphics2D. How do I modify the width of a using Graphics I API. Any ideas? Justin "Justin Birtwell" <justin.birtwell@verizon.net> writes: > I'm creating applets using JDK1.1.8 which doesn't use the Graphics2D. How > do I modify the width of a using Graphics I API. Any ideas? You don't. That feature is not part of 1.1.x. You can do the obvious things like using multiple single-pixel lines to simulate a larger line, or filled rectangles. Or upgrade to a newer Java version. /Thomas ...

Graphics--combining graphics
I am trying to create an animation of a piecewise function. I have a graph of a ball rolling and I would like to combine an animation for one equation of motion for the first part with another equation for the second part of the motion. It is easy enough to create the two animations individually, however I am stumped on how to combine them into one continuous animation. Link to the forum page for this post: http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=Special:Forum_ViewTopic&pid=10007#p10007 Posted through http://www.mathematica-users.org [[postId=10007]] ...

2D vector graphics with OpenGL
With OpenGL and the Common Lisp Application Builder project it is easy to create nice 3D animations: http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lispbuilder/trunk/lispbuilder-opengl/documentation/index.html (the lispbuilder-opengl-package will be released later at Sourceforge) But OpenGL is useful for fast 2D vector graphics, too, because drawing operations are accelerated by the graphics card. I've implemented a very basic SVG path parser (in 16 lines with lispbuilder-lexer) and used the SVG file from http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html for rendering something with OpenGL: http://...

OpenGL API and hardware acceleration
Hi, I am pretty new to OpenGL. After trying out a few examples, i downloaded the Mesa source code and looked at the 3D driver (ATI : r300) to see what operations are typically accelerated. I guess that this is not a simple task that can be done quickly with so many indirections in the code :-) Some are obvious where ctx->Driver functions are initialized by the driver. Then there are the software fallback modules vbo etc. also that initializes the Driver functions. For example, i was trying to see if the Vertex operations like glVertex2f() are accelerated. I was unable to find it out. Is th...

paintComponent(Graphics graphics)
Hi=20 I hope I can explain this clearly without getting into too much detail as t= he code in question is a couple of thousand of lines. So to begin, I have = a JPanel to which I add JLabels and JComponents using JPanel's add() method= .. It works fine, but now I would like to print an image ON TOP of the adde= d JLabels and JComponents. For this I manipulate my JPanel's paintComponen= t(Graphics graphics) method. In it I have something of the following sort: paintComponent(Graphics graphics){ Graphics2D g =3D (Graphics2D)graphics.create(); g.drawImage(image, 200, ...

API to change the DPI of a graphic
I would like to use the FrameMaker 7.1 API to programmatically set the DPI of an image (a PNG imported by reference in this case) to a set value (eg 125). I was hoping I could use the property FP_InsetDpi against the SetPropVAL function, but that doesn't work. Any ideas? Anyone have some sample code? Thanks. David. ...

graphics APIs, consoles, etc.
For some reason, graphics APIs and gaming consoles are both discussed in this group. There's an interesting long interview with John Carmack and Todd Hollenshead that touches on those topics here: <http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0109.1737.15034.htm?Pa ge=1> -- --Tim Smith Tim Smith wrote: > For some reason, graphics APIs and gaming consoles are both discussed > in this group. There's an interesting long interview with John > Carmack and Todd Hollenshead that touches on those topics here: > > <http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200...

the graphics and the concept of the graphic
Hiya all. everybody should applicate this type of guidelines This movement builds a strong visual link between the head and shoulders. If you get the correct relationship between the eyes, nose and mouth, you will end up with a good likeness. Our Pencil Portrait lesson explains and illustrates the step by step drawing techniques involved in creating the portrait of a young girl. At this stage, the drawing is no more than a set of carefully measured features that establish the final proportions of the portrait. There are three basic stages in the creation of the image...

3D graphics API history
I'm writing a book on the OpenGL graphics API. In the introductory chapter, I'd like to provide a glimpse of the 3D graphics API world prior to OpenGL's introduction. Does anyone have any direct experience with, or references (papers, etc) regarding proprietary APIs of the 1980s? For example, Ardent's Dore, HP's Starbase, SGI's Iris GL, and proprietary PHIGS such as IBM GraPHIGS, etc. (I don't need information on PEX/PEXlib, thanks - already have that covered.) Did the Stellar GS1000 have a proprietary API, and if so, what was it? Please post any ...

graphic inside a graphic
Hi everyone Does anybody know how to insert a graphic inside a graphic?? I mean, to add a small graphic (as a zoom for example) inside a plot. Thanks augusto try axes try axes check out the tool 'imshow()', then try to bring the figure in shape get(gca) and superimpose your graph - 'hold on', 'plot()', 'hold off' (Haven't tried it my self so far) Thorben The example below shows you how to insert a graphic (e.g. photo) into another MATLAB figure. I = imread('peppers.png'); theta = linspace(-pi,pi,200); figure; plot(theta,cos(theta)); gr...

Web resources about - BadMatch with glXMakeCurrent - comp.graphics.api.opengl

Issues - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting
My favorites ▼ - Sign in chromium An open-source project to help move the web forward. Project Home Downloads Wiki Issues Code Search New issue ...