Displaying text on windows desktop

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
information about the functions which are being activated or
deactivated.

I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
realize what I mean

Any help will be really appreciated
0
Reply fredshultz69 10/11/2004 10:28:17 AM

See related articles to this posting

"shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> information about the functions which are being activated or
> deactivated.
>
> I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> realize what I mean
>
> Any help will be really appreciated

OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Solution:
HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);

// Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);

HTH,
--
-Gernot
int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf

Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
GLBasic - you can do
www.GLBasic.com

0
Reply Gernot 10/11/2004 11:51:35 AM

"Gernot Frisch" <Me@Privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2svablF1o4b93U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> > the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> > create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> > package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> > information about the functions which are being activated or
> > deactivated.
> >
> > I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> > realize what I mean
> >
> > Any help will be really appreciated
>
> OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
>
> Solution:
> HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
> ::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
> ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);
>
> // Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
> ::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);
>
> HTH,
> --
> -Gernot
> int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf
> ("%silto%c%cf%cgl%ssic%ccom%c", "ma", 58, 'g', 64, "ba", 46, 10);}

> Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
> GLBasic - you can do
> www.GLBasic.com

Ok... sorry for my O.T.

I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help
0
Reply fredshultz69 10/12/2004 10:18:02 AM

> I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
> windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help

I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't
know about it.

0
Reply Gernot 10/12/2004 11:37:57 AM

> I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
> about it.

Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
(to which the desktop should be set)?

Gunix

--
For e-mail, swap the odd and the
even characters behind the @,

0
Reply Gunix 10/16/2004 7:38:52 PM

Gunix wrote:
>>I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
>>about it.
>

> Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
> DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
> (to which the desktop should be set)?

You can use GetDC(0) to get the desktop
DC then render to it with OpenGL.

Beware that you can only call SetPixelFormat()
once on a window so if somebody else has set the
desktop pixel format then you have to use the one
they set (use GetPixelFormat() to check it...)

--
<\___/>          For email, remove my socks.
/ O O \

0
Reply fungus 10/16/2004 8:07:15 PM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7092 articles. 24 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Telnet via Expect from Windows to Windows (Text is not displayed correctly)
Hi, I'm "porting" an Expect Script which was written for Linux Telnet servers, to Windows Telnet servers. Changing and/or finding the right commands for the Windows Shell (Command) is not the Problem. Also the Login works fine, the Windows 2000 Telnet Daemon is configured correctly at that point. But now my problem. The Windows Telnet Client is not displaying everything correctly when it is receiving its commands from expect, here's the output: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- spawn telnet X.X.X.X Trying X.X.X....

text display window
I often run routines that dump text out to the command window for diagnostics, debug, or program status. Rather than cluttering up my command window, I would like to be able to pipe the text to a separate figure window with a listbox to display the text. First, is there such a utility out there? I'm sure others have thought of this. Second, if I should just create it myself, is there a better way to do it than to use GUIDE? I have done that, but the default behavior for a figure generated by GUIDE is to create a new figure as soon as the associated function is called, so it's kin...

Display Text In OpenGL Window
Hi All! Does anyone have a class that allow me to display text string in an OpenGL windows? I'm searching a solution that uses a bitmap from which to get the characters, but any help would be appreciated... Thanks in advance, -- Marco Minerva, marco.minerva@tiscali.it http://www.marcominerva.com "Marco Minerva" <marco.minerva@infinito.it> wrote in news:g2uYb.248460$VW.9991443@news3.tin.it: > Does anyone have a class that allow me to display text string in an > OpenGL windows? I'm searching a solution that uses a bitmap from which > to get the characters...

Problem with display of Windows desktop.
I hope someone here can help me. Just today, my Windows 2000 desktop has started to display a white box behind and around the icons on the desktop. If I restart, the problem goes away for a few minutes and then suddenly returns. Can someone help me to get back to normal? Thanks in advance for any advice. -- Regards, Frank Young tipcat@wam.umd.edu 703-527-7684 Post Office Box 2793, Kensington, Maryland 20891 "Videmus nunc per speculum in aenigmate... Nunc cognosco ex parte" ...

displaying text and PNG in a window
Does anyone have Motif code (in C) that will: Open up a window, display the output from reading data from a remote server's port (ASCII text) into that window and have a button to REFRESH the data being displayed? Would also like Window to be minimizable and display a PNG file in a window connected to the window. Zach ...

Text not displayed in applet under Windows XP
Hi all, I'm working on an application/applet that runs fine as an application or applet in Linux and as an application in Windows (XP), but when run as an applet (under firefox or IE) it will SOMETIMES (not always) fail to display text and images. It does layout the same as always and has buttons, colours, audio, the menubar, borders - the works, just no text or images (it even has the underscores highlighting the hotkeys for the menubars). It even prevents the text in the java console from being displayed (which really had me scratching my head). This combined with the fact that if I&...

slow display of text in terminal window
Hi, I recently installed emacs-21.3 version on Unix. I dont have any Xwin software for Windows XP and hence am running emacs in the terminal window itself. I use the option "emacs -nw <filename>" to open the file in the terminal window. The problem is that the file opens very slowly and line by line. Besides, if I have to scroll up or down the file, the whole text is re-displayed slowly line by line and consumes a lot of time. Could anyone please tell me what should I do to get a fast display and enable scrolling without re-displaying the whole text ? I greatly appreciate ...

why command window display weird text
my matlab command window showing strange text and whatever I type inside the command window it will turn into weird text. Can anybody help to see what's happening to my matlab? screen image is shown in the link below. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q28Nbp5J_122HjRidTmfRQ?feat=directlink Thanks! On Dec 29, 2:16=A0am, "John " <wwwin...@gmail.com> wrote: > my matlab command window showing strange text and whatever I type inside = the command window it will turn into weird text. Can anybody help to see wh= at's happening to my matlab? screen image is sh...

display text to command window during calcualtion
Hi all, I am trying to write some text to the command window -- meaning I want the function display the status once in a while to the command windo in form of some text like: "currently calculating variablea - already acomplisched calcualting d and e - still to come calcualting t and w..." any idea how to do this??? right now I jsut have the program showing me the iterations - I do this by leaving the ";" at the end form the variable and thus geta neat status report - but I would prefer some text so not only I but everyone knows where the program currently is... thanks ...

Desktop not displaying in Windows 2000 Pro
I am having a problem with Windows 2000 Pro. After login, I simple message warning about CQSHell and once I clear it, the background loads but none of the desktop elements (ie icons, toolbars, start button) will appear. However an Explorer window appears with the contents of My Computer displayed. You can run programs from the Explorer WIndows. How do I correct? Is this spyware/virus? Any Ideas? ...

Displaying small pictures in a text window
I want to display small pictures in a text window, its actually emoticons in a messenger I want to implement. How should I do this in Java. Ideally I would like to support animated pictures, but any method to display any format would be welcome. Thanks Allan >I want to display small pictures in a text window, its actually emoticons >in a messenger I want to implement. How should I do this in Java. Ideally >I would like to support animated pictures, but any method to display any >format would be welcome. see JTextPane.insertIcon(Icon g) -- Andrey Kuznetsov http://u...

How do you display data as text in a figure window?
Dear Matlab Users, I am currently developing a GUI that calculates data and I am wanting to display this data as text in a figure window. Can someone please help me out on this and possibly give me an example to use. Thanks You Very Much, Mark Mark Martin wrote: > > > Dear Matlab Users, > > I am currently developing a GUI that calculates data and I am > wanting to display this data as text in a figure window. Can > someone > please help me out on this and possibly give me an example to use. > > Thanks You Very Muc...

Display a window on winlogon desktop (XP)
How can you display a splash window on the winlogon desktop? FYI, this will be displayed from a process started in the appropriate winlogon desktop/session and running as SYSTEM. If the workstation is locked (eg. switching users), setting the parent to the window with the title "Windows Logon" works. But this fails if all users are logged off. A message box with the service notification flag also works, so it's definitely possible. What is that doing? abb wrote: > How can you display a splash window on the winlogon desktop? Simply don't do it! >...

CDE: Desktop Icon Displays Run Window
Hi All. I have created a script under Solaris 9 (which simply runs a command then 'exit's) and have created a link to this script on the Solaris CDE desktop (using file explorer's drag-and-drop). When I double-click on the icon, a shell window appears. This window does not close even though the script itself has completed. How can I have the script run without creating a run window? Thanks. Steve shyatt@bigbangwidth.com Steve Hyatt wrote: > ... snippage ... > How can I have the script run without creating a run window? Yeah, that *is* annoying isn't it? What you ...

Window Managers, Display Manager, and Desktop Environments
Some of you might be interested. http://xwinman.org/intro.php I was after getting terminology wrong. But for those of you who *might* have given Peter Köhlmann the benefit of the doubt, do read this: ,---- | The best example of this is the concept of a window manager which is | essentially the component which controls the appearance of windows and | provides the means by which the user can interact with them. Virtually | everything which appears on the screen in X is in a window, and a window | manager quite simply manages them. `---- Now, can anyone tell me how to find which &quo...

display text in a certain place in command window
can I get matlab to display text in a certain place in the command window? for instance, say I want to make a counter that counts from 1 to 100 and have it display in the bottom right of the command window as it counts. Is this possible? Hi, This wont work perfectly in all cases: function status(totaal,n) %function status(totaal,n) % first call: status(totaal,0) (to create the bar) if totaal>50; divje = (totaal/50); totaal = round(totaal/divje); n = round(n/divje); end; str = ['[' repmat('.',1,n) repmat(' ',1,totaal-n) ']']; if (n == 0) disp...

How to import the messages/texts that are displayed in command window at run time.
Hello, I am making a GUI using Matlab GUIDE and in that I need to add a window (just like console window)for displaying errors and messages that is displayed in command window of Matlab. How to generate a window and how to import the messages/texts displayed in command window..?? I searched the help option but couldn't get any relevant solution. Can this be done using matlab, if yes then how can it be done..?? Thank you Hariom On May 31, 11:10=A0am, "Hariom " <h.ya...@iitp.ac.in> wrote: > Hello, > I am making a GUI using Matlab GUIDE and in that I need to ad...

General question on wxPlotWindow and displaying line graphs and text in the same window
Environment: w2k, devc++ 4.9.8.0, wxwindows 2.4.0 Hi all, I would appreciate some general ideas on finding a good solution for this problem. I would like to display some data sets as curves in a separate window. On the x axis there is a set of letters (one or more lines) that needs to be printed in the (scrollable) window and the y axis would be numerical values. The y data will be re-calculated when the user drags on some controls and then needs to be re-drawn. From a more practical point of view, it's displaying a protein seqence of about 1000 characters looking like MATP-...

How to grab specific string of text from HTML page to display in pop up browser window?
I am building a glossary. Each letter of the alphabet has its own HTML page, and each glossary entry on the page already has a unique HTML anchor tag immediately to the left of it. I've already learned how to do a Javascript pop up browser window. Is there a way to create one that will use the existing HTML anchors as markers and retrieve and display only the text string that starts after a specified anchor, and ends just before then next anchor? Ed In article <7e0de943.0407260806.d927249@posting.google.com>, ggroups.thread.sift@recursor.net enlightened us with... > I am bu...

Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length for Command Window display.
I have following equation: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- syms NR PLRR PLRSI BWRR BWRSI N_FT x; T2 = (NR * PLRR)/ ((N_FT - x) * BWRR) + ((N_FT - x) * PLRSI)/ (x * BWRSI) + (x * PLRSI)/ (1 * BWRSI); T2 = simplify(T2) dT2 = diff(T2, x); dT2 = simplify(dT2); r = solve(dT2, x); r --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matlab computes the result, unfortunately I am unable to print it. At the end of result is message: Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length fo...

"Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length for Command Window display."
"Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length for Command Window display." In Symbolic calculation, I met with the following error: "Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length for Command Window display." I really want it to be able to calculate... how do I handle it? If enlarge the limit is not possible. How to redirect output in Matlab? Thanks a lot! ...

Output truncated. Text exceeds maximum line length of 25,000 characters for Command Window display.
I was computing inverse of a 8X8 matrix symbollically. (which is symmetric matrix and having 16 zeros as elements...its globsl stiffness matrix).Hence i was able to get the result very fast...but couldnt get it displayed due to above error..(same error came even when i tried to extract a single element) can anyone help in retrieving the inverse matrix because i needed it badly to refine my code . "Giridhar G" <giridharg1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:jqq6de$m30$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > I was computing inverse of a 8X8 matrix symbollically. (which is symme...

Can't stop Matlab dragging focus back to initial display window/virtual desktop
Can't stop Matlab dragging focus back to initial display window/virtual desktop Under Matlab 6.5 I would set Matlab displaying plots for hours in a window/virtual desktop environment under Linux, while I'd be off in another window/virtual desktop doing other work. Under 2006a Matlab now drags the focus back to the initial virtual desktop/window I was displaying in, preventing me from doing my work. So since I have displays appearing all the time, it renders virtual desktops useless - so much so that I've gone back to using Matlab 6.5 for now. Any solutions out there, or should ...

displaying windows through a window
main.cpp #ifndef main_cpp #define main_cpp #include "wx/wx.h" #include <wx/splash.h> #include "MyFrame.h" class MyApp : public wxApp { public: virtual bool OnInit(); }; IMPLEMENT_APP(MyApp) bool MyApp::OnInit() { wxBitmap bitmap; MyFrame *frame = new MyFrame(_T("Project Mayhem"), wxPoint(150, 150), wxSize(590, 430)); bitmap.LoadFile("C:/Documents and Settings/JAMIE BERNIER/Desktop/images/Intro Image.bmp", wxBITMAP_TYPE_BMP); wxSplashScreen* splash = new wxSplashScreen(bitmap, wxSPLA...