Displaying text on windows desktop

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
information about the functions which are being activated or
deactivated.

I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
realize what I mean

Any help will be really appreciated
0
fredshultz69
10/11/2004 10:28:17 AM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7064 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> information about the functions which are being activated or
> deactivated.
>
> I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> realize what I mean
>
> Any help will be really appreciated

OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Solution:
HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);

// Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);

HTH,
--
-Gernot
int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf

Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
GLBasic - you can do
www.GLBasic.com

0
Gernot
10/11/2004 11:51:35 AM
"Gernot Frisch" <Me@Privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2svablF1o4b93U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> > the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> > create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> > package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> > information about the functions which are being activated or
> > deactivated.
> >
> > I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> > realize what I mean
> >
> > Any help will be really appreciated
>
> OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
>
> Solution:
> HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
> ::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
> ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);
>
> // Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
> ::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);
>
> HTH,
> --
> -Gernot
> int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf
> ("%silto%c%cf%cgl%ssic%ccom%c", "ma", 58, 'g', 64, "ba", 46, 10);}

> Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
> GLBasic - you can do
> www.GLBasic.com

Ok... sorry for my O.T.

I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help
0
fredshultz69
10/12/2004 10:18:02 AM
> I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
> windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help

I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't
know about it.

0
Gernot
10/12/2004 11:37:57 AM
> I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
> about it.

Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
(to which the desktop should be set)?

Gunix

--
For e-mail, swap the odd and the
even characters behind the @,

0
Gunix
10/16/2004 7:38:52 PM
Gunix wrote:
>>I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
>>about it.
>

> Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
> DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
> (to which the desktop should be set)?

You can use GetDC(0) to get the desktop
DC then render to it with OpenGL.

Beware that you can only call SetPixelFormat()
once on a window so if somebody else has set the
desktop pixel format then you have to use the one
they set (use GetPixelFormat() to check it...)

--
<\___/>          For email, remove my socks.
/ O O \

0
fungus

inputdlg is not displayed how it should
Hi, I have learned that this is a bug in R12 / R12.1 from <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-18Q16.html?solution=1-18Q16> Unfortunately, the suggested workarounds do not work for me (I tried them both). Do you have any other ideas/experiences which could help me? Thanks, Bernd ...

text alignment in GUI for long string
Hi, I have a GUI with limited space, and a long string I want to put in it. The end of the string is more interesting (to be specific, it's a filename) so I would like to have the text right-aligned and clip the beginning. Does anybody out there know how to do this? The following example demonstrates the problem: fh = figure; uicontrol(fh,'style','edit','string','abcdefjh/ijklmnop/qrstuvw.xyz', 'tag', 'base', ... 'HorizontalAlignment','right',... 'Units','normalized', 'Position',[0.21 0....

Pinkish Colour Display
I have a PIII 450MHz with Philips monitor 105E running WinME. Whenever I start the computer the monitor screen would turn pinkish and would stay on for some 10 minutes or longer before turning to normal. With another monitor, however, the computer works normally. The video card is ATI Rage IIC with VIA AGP patch. Would appreciate any advice on how to solve this problem. Thanks Joe Boon wrote: > I have a PIII 450MHz with Philips monitor 105E running > WinME. Whenever I start the computer the monitor > screen would turn pinkish and would stay on for some > 10 minutes or lo...

Importing CSV file from Outlook Calendar to Palm Desktop
I am trying to find a simple method of getting my Outlook 2000 Calendar from my PC to my shiny new Palm Tungsten E. Sounds simple, unfortunately, installing software on the machine running Outlook is not possible. Really, it isn't an option. I can export individual calendar entries to vCal format, e-mail them to the machine running Palm Desktop and import them. Unfortunately, Outlook does not appear to support exporting the whole calendar to that format, doing the entries one at a time is a bit tedious. I can export the whole calendar to a CSV file, however Palm Desktop d...

UXGA Displays
Dell offers UXGA 1600 * 1200 dislays on the Inspiron 5150. Are there other manufacturers which also offer this? I cannot find this option on the Gateway or IBM sites. Is this a new screen option? Richard Kaplan wrote: > Dell offers UXGA 1600 * 1200 dislays on the Inspiron 5150. > > Are there other manufacturers which also offer this? I > cannot find this option on the Gateway or IBM sites. > > Is this a new screen option? No, they have been around for several years. IBM's current 1600 x 1200 model is the R50p. Previous 1600 x 1200 models were the A21p, A22p, A30p, ...

MSIE Windows fudge
width: 50%; /* ie5win fudge begins */ voice-family: "\"}\""; voice-family:inherit; width: 46%; I've seen this fragment several times in various layout examples. What does it mean, and why is it necessary? Regards, Alex Alex Bell <abell1@tassie.net.au> wrote: >width: 50%; /* ie5win fudge begins */ > voice-family: "\"}\""; > voice-family:inherit; > width: 46%; > >I've seen this fragment several times in various layout examples. >What does it mean, and why is it necessary? http://www.tantek.com/C...

but i mean it is windows os.
can these software can run under windows os? ...

Display of bmp image on TMS320C6711
Hye ! can anybody send me C code to read a bmp image. I want to display it on TMS320C6711 processor with view option. Hi I have a C program which read BMP and convert it to PPM, and there is only include stdio.h header. If you have need it respond me back regards Dibyendu Modal er_narin@yahoo.co.in (Narinder) wrote in message news:<0q9lldc9lhl4@legacy>... > Hye ! can anybody send me C code to read a bmp image. I want to > display it on TMS320C6711 processor with view option. ...

Linux more popular than windows shocker. Story at 11.
From TheRegister... http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/14/asus_linux_eee_901_famine/ Readers alerted us to the fact that while Windows XP-loaded 901's are available to buy from British resellers, there's a paucity of the Linux version. It'll be available in late July, suppliers say. That has led some would-be buyers to suspect pressure applied to Asus by the hand of the Beast of Redmond, but Asus UK spokeswoman Helen Ling pointed the finger at Intel. ...... Asus produces Linux and XP Eees in equal numbers, she claimed, and will continue to do so: the Linux Eees are the better...

surface display in drawing mode???
Hello, I'm have created an assembly of a covered utility trailer where I have the outer panels as a surface. I'm trying to create a view in the drawing to show how the trailer will look, but even in shaded mode the surfaces don't cover the members below. Does anyone know how to make surfaces block out whats behind them. thanks "Dennis Beifus" <dbeifus@dres.dnd.ca> wrote in message news:1060636803.620575@coyote... : Hello, : I'm have created an assembly of a covered utility trailer where I have the : outer panels as a surface. I'm tryin...

ecb and compile window
Hi, Every time I select a new file from ecb window the compile window height increases by one line. Even thought I specify the constant size for the compile window by setting (setq ecb-compile-window-height 10). Is it a bug or a feature? Thanks, Andrei On 11 Nov 2004, Andrei Stebakov wrote: > Hi, > > Every time I select a new file from ecb window the compile window > height increases by one line. Even thought I specify the constant size > for the compile window by setting (setq ecb-compile-window-height 10). > Is it a bug or a feature? To get b...

Strange Access 97 Behavior in Displaying Images
At first I was not certain what could cause Access 97 from displaying most jpeg images, but not all. After further testing, it seemed that all original images of less than 275 pixels per inch or less would display, but those close to 300 pixels/inch or greater would not (MS Access cannot recognize the file format xxx.jpg). The larger, original images were scanned and saved as .bmp (at 300 dpi producing a 15MB file). Then the images were saved as .jpg's around 1MB, and adjusted downward, but no luck. However, MS Photo Editor would open the larger jpeg file size images consistently. Is this...

dismaneling cinema display
Hi On the back of my 20" Cinema display there is a tube shaped 'thing' that connects to the base on which the screen stands. How can I take apart the screen from the base? Is there a manual for that somewhere? In article <fbd8b919-7410-42ed-8209-dded7742f4ae@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, lironba@gmail.com wrote: > On the back of my 20" Cinema display there is a tube shaped 'thing' > that connects to the base on which the screen stands. > How can I take apart the screen from the base? > Is there a manual for that somewhere? Are you talking about...

[CM] Does the display server matter? Yes, No
From the «surprise: the Gnome guys say 'no'» department: Title: Does the Display Server matter? Author: Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:12:33 -0400 Link: http://lwn.net/Articles/591702/rss Robert Ancell contends[1]that the application toolkit is more important than the display server. "The result of this is the display server doesn't matter much to applications because we have pretty good toolkits that already hide all this information from us. And it doesn't matter much to drivers as they're providing much the same operations to anything that uses them ...

Extracting data windows from large vector.
Hi all, I have a 1x6000 column vector, and I would like to extract data like this: 1st data set: 1st 64 values of the vector 2nd data set: the next 64 values of the vector, but with 50% overlap of the 1st data set. and so on and so forth, until I reach the end of the vector. What is the most efficient way of coding this? Thank you very much. S "s k" <shihui.nospam.khee@ic.ac.uk> wrote in message news:ef064a6.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi all, > > I have a 1x6000 column vector, and I would like to extract data like > this: > > 1st data set: 1st 64 values of...

OT
I posted this to alt.games.video and didn't get a single reply. Any thoughts here? My son had a good idea and I am trying to make it happen. When we take a road trip, he wants to take his Xbox to play in the van. We plug it into an inverter that can handle the power requirements, but I don't want to take a TV along. Instead we want to use the laptop as the video display for the game. I have a Pinnacle Linx video input cable that we have installed on the computer, and with the bundled Studio software, we can, in fact, play Xbox on the computer. However, the window that displa...

Small Screen Display
Hello, I have a toshiba satellite pro 4600, and the screen displayed is always smaller than the size of the screen. i.e. my screen is 15' and windows 2000 professional displays a screen size of 11') Any ideas? I tried to play with screen resolution, to no avail. a.abdulwahab@gmail.com a �crit: > Hello, I have a toshiba satellite pro 4600, and the screen displayed is > always smaller than the size of the screen. i.e. my screen is 15' and > windows 2000 professional displays a screen size of 11') > > Any ideas? I tried to play with screen resolution, to no av...

Problems with display of references
Hello, I have trouble with the correct display of my references. After each reference entry the word "pages" appears. Like below: 1. Abbott, A. P., Boothby, D., Capper, G., Davies, D. L., and Rasheed, R. K. Journal of the American Chemical Society 126(29), 9142=969147 (2004). pages I'm using JabRef 2.3.1 (but the problem is also present if I use v. 2.4), and the nature.sty (but the problem also exists with other styles). I created my .bib file from EndNote. All entries appear in JabRef as expected and seem to be ok: @ARTICLE{Abbott2004-9142, author =3D {Abbott, A. P. and Bo...

Parallel ATA controllers compatible with Windows 7 ?
Does anyone make a PATA controller with Win7 drivers? I've been looking at the VIA chipset boards, but I can't find Win7 drivers on their site. On Jan 12, 9:29=A0am, R <R...@nospam.com> wrote: > Does anyone make a PATA controller with Win7 drivers? =A0I've been > looking at the VIA chipset boards, but I can't find Win7 drivers on > their site. I am not sure if this is the answer you want, but a USB caddy still works OK. If it is a one off transfer of files, it will be a solution. R wrote: > Does anyone make a PATA controller with Win7 drivers? ...

multiprocessing + console + windows = challenge?
Hi all. So, the doc is pitiless: "Note Functionality within this package requires that the __main__ method be importable by the children. This is covered in Programming guidelines however it is worth pointing out here. This means that some examples, such as the multiprocessing.Pool examples will not work in the interactive interpreter. For example:" My question: Q: did any one manage to resurrect multiprocessing module in interactive Python console? Especially interesting would be on Windows :) pprocess library works in console when on Linux, but it doesn't on Windows :-/...

ubuntu-newbie: Display is max of 1024*768 how to make it 1280*1024 or more?
I just successfully installed Ubuntu on a new amd64 motherboard with a new geforce 7600GS nvidia graphics card. The desktop is a light brownish shade and there is a tool bar with e.g. "Application" etc. The first thing I want to do is set the display to, at least, 1280 * 1024 (my LCD monitor) or greater (my CRT monitor). I have been following and trying the online help and I *think* the problem is that the correct Nvidia drive is missing because the options are limited to 1024 * 768? I tried installing NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9631-pkg2.run and the terminal replied that is was a...

Search and Replace Text
I'm looking for a way to search and replace: this $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] to this $GLOBALS["HTTP_SERVER_VARS"]["REQUEST_URI"]; in multiple files. I've tried using sed and a perl script that someone used, but I'm not sure how to translate the text above into a Regular Expression so it will work. Thanks. In news:bb611592-88f2-4504-8d4f-87fd31dcce14@o6g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, andrew <andrew.ggroups@gmail.com> typed: > I'm looking for a way to search and replace: > > this $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] > to this $GLOBAL...

How convert TIFF 2 TEXT from command line ?
Hello I am looking for a tool that convert, using the OCR methodology, from a TIFF to a TEXT file. This command should run from command line, called by batch application (no X11). Any suggestions? Andrew On 2 Nov 2004 23:05:48 -0800 andreafilippo@yahoo.com (AndreaFilippo) wrote: gocr > Hello > > I am looking for a tool that convert, using the OCR methodology, from > a TIFF to a TEXT file. This command should run from command line, > called by batch application (no X11). > > Any suggestions? > > Andrew andreafilippo@yahoo.com (AndreaFil...

Display and display model
I have purchase a Java book that list a short number of 'display strategies': 1- maintain a model of the display 2- have the paint method draw the display based only on the content of the model 3- to change the display , update the model and then call the repaint method .... unfortunately the book doesn't provide any example for the above and I'm wondering what it means. Does anyone know? TIA, AJ "Marc Twain" <johndoe666_341@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:404a844f.0401130547.dbc2f25@posting.google.com... > I have purchase a Java book that list a sho...

Shared Views Vs. Shared desktop private on first use Views
Hi, When I joined this new organisation there was this db created by a outsourced IT group. I am asked to improve it's performance. I observed that the size of the view indexes is much high as most of the views are big & almost every column is sorted both ways. The size of the db is 1122 MB which is tooo much for just 10088 documents. For performance improvement i changed all the big view as shared desktop private on first use, so that all indexing goes to the notes clients. I am wondering if i have done the right thing. Any comments ???? thanks vithal Did the per...