Displaying text on windows desktop

Hi guys,

I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
information about the functions which are being activated or
deactivated.

I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
realize what I mean

Any help will be really appreciated
0
fredshultz69
10/11/2004 10:28:17 AM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7072 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> information about the functions which are being activated or
> deactivated.
>
> I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> realize what I mean
>
> Any help will be really appreciated

OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Solution:
HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);

// Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);

HTH,
--
-Gernot
int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf

Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
GLBasic - you can do
www.GLBasic.com

0
Gernot
10/11/2004 11:51:35 AM
"Gernot Frisch" <Me@Privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2svablF1o4b93U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> "shultz69" <fredshultz69@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've been searching on the web for tutorials about writing text into
> > the windows desktop but I didn't find anything useful. I want to
> > create something like an On Screen Display; I'm creating a software
> > package and I'd like to display to the final user some useful
> > information about the functions which are being activated or
> > deactivated.
> >
> > I've only found tutorials to write text into a form and nothing to
> > realize what I mean
> >
> > Any help will be really appreciated
>
> OT here. Use comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
>
> Solution:
> HDC hdc = ::GetDC(NULL); // Desktop Window DC
> ::Rectangle(hdc, 0,0,320,240);
> ReleaseDC(NULL, hdc);
>
> // Redraw Desktop Window (Remove your Mesage):
> ::InvalidateRect(NULL, NULL, FALSE);
>
> HTH,
> --
> -Gernot
> int main(int argc, char** argv) {printf
> ("%silto%c%cf%cgl%ssic%ccom%c", "ma", 58, 'g', 64, "ba", 46, 10);}

> Looking for a good game? Do it yourself!
> GLBasic - you can do
> www.GLBasic.com

Ok... sorry for my O.T.

I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help
0
fredshultz69
10/12/2004 10:18:02 AM
> I thought I could realize it using OpenGL. I already did it with
> windows API but I don't like it so much. Thanks anyway for your help

I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't
know about it.

0
Gernot
10/12/2004 11:37:57 AM
> I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
> about it.

Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
(to which the desktop should be set)?

Gunix

--
For e-mail, swap the odd and the
even characters behind the @,

0
Gunix
10/16/2004 7:38:52 PM
Gunix wrote:
>>I thins there is a way of doing OpenGL on the desktop, but I don't know
>>about it.
>

> Doesn't that involve using OpenGL to render offscreen and then using
> DirectDraw overlays to draw the image whereever the screen has a set color
> (to which the desktop should be set)?

You can use GetDC(0) to get the desktop
DC then render to it with OpenGL.

Beware that you can only call SetPixelFormat()
once on a window so if somebody else has set the
desktop pixel format then you have to use the one
they set (use GetPixelFormat() to check it...)

--
<\___/>          For email, remove my socks.
/ O O \

0
fungus