FTGL Fonts rendering woes

Hi all
i have been working at getting ftgl commands compiled into a display
list.
Its killing me . When I disable use of display list in FTGl( using the
UseDisplayList( false ) ) function and use the Render() call ... it
seems that characters that have appeared once are not being rendered.

Please help  .. the code listing follows

[CODE]

dlist = glGenLists( 1 );
glNewList( dlist , GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE );

ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );

glEndList();

[/CODE]

For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p

THIS  CAN                P E

Any ideas ...

comp.graphics.api.opengl 7064 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all
> i have been working at getting ftgl commands compiled into a display
> list.
> Its killing me . When I disable use of display list in FTGl( using the
> UseDisplayList( false ) ) function and use the Render() call ... it
> seems that characters that have appeared once are not being rendered.
>
> Please help  .. the code listing follows
>
> [CODE]
>
> dlist = glGenLists( 1 );
> glNewList( dlist , GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE );
>

> ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
>

> glEndList();
>
> [/CODE]
>
> For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
>
> THIS  CAN                P E
>

> Any ideas ...

Hi!

How do you initialize ffont?
0
Jan
4/21/2006 1:12:30 PM
Hi

This is how

FTFont* ffont = new FTGLPolygonFont( "times.ttf" );

calls to ffont->Render() work perfectly . Porblems come only when i
want to compile it into a display list ..

I call

ffont->UseDisplayList( false )  before glNewList()

I think thas the correct usage  isnt it ?

if i do not disable use of lists in FTGL
 and try compiling Render() calls into a display list only the first
character is rendered and a GL error state is set.

Jan Boehme wrote:

> shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all
> > i have been working at getting ftgl commands compiled into a display
> > list.
> > Its killing me . When I disable use of display list in FTGl( using the
> > UseDisplayList( false ) ) function and use the Render() call ... it
> > seems that characters that have appeared once are not being rendered.
> >
> > Please help  .. the code listing follows
> >
> > [CODE]
> >
> > dlist = glGenLists( 1 );
> > glNewList( dlist , GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE );
> >

> > ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
> >

> > glEndList();
> >
> > [/CODE]
> >
> > For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
> >
> > THIS  CAN                P E
> >

> > Any ideas ...
> >

> Hi!
>
> How do you initialize ffont?

0
shekhar
4/21/2006 1:25:49 PM
<shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com> wrote in message
> ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
[...]
> For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
>
> THIS  CAN                P E

I don't know what the solution is but surely you noticed every first render
of each character is OK?
It is possible same characters are rendered on top of each other on the same
coords, or are destroyed after being used the first time.

[jongware]

0
jongware
4/21/2006 9:31:18 PM
yes the character seems to be okay
I dont know the internals of FTGL .. so really cant understand where to

search for  the problem.

[jongware] wrote:

> <shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
> [...]
> > For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
> >
> > THIS  CAN                P E
>
> I don't know what the solution is but surely you noticed every first render
> of each character is OK?
> It is possible same characters are rendered on top of each other on the same
> coords, or are destroyed after being used the first time.
>
> [jongware]

0
shekhar
4/21/2006 10:21:28 PM
no solution ppl ???
Jan i thought u may have one

0
shekhar

Where can I get FTGL? I couldn't download it from the official website.
Thank you.

f.f

shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all
> i have been working at getting ftgl commands compiled into a display
> list.
> Its killing me . When I disable use of display list in FTGl( using the
> UseDisplayList( false ) ) function and use the Render() call ... it
> seems that characters that have appeared once are not being rendered.
>
> Please help  .. the code listing follows
>
> [CODE]
>
> dlist = glGenLists( 1 );
> glNewList( dlist , GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE );
>

> ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
>

> glEndList();
>
> [/CODE]
>
> For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
>
> THIS  CAN                P E
>

> Any ideas ...

I u are looking for the code ... u can find it here

http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/ftgl.html

f.f wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where can I get FTGL? I couldn't download it from the official website.
> Thank you.
>
> f.f
>
> shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all
> > i have been working at getting ftgl commands compiled into a display
> > list.
> > Its killing me . When I disable use of display list in FTGl( using the
> > UseDisplayList( false ) ) function and use the Render() call ... it
> > seems that characters that have appeared once are not being rendered.
> >
> > Please help  .. the code listing follows
> >
> > [CODE]
> >
> > dlist = glGenLists( 1 );
> > glNewList( dlist , GL_COMPILE_AND_EXECUTE );
> >

> > ffont->Render(" THIS CANT HAPPEN " );
> >

> > glEndList();
> >
> > [/CODE]
> >
> > For the aboe code listing i get the following o/p
> >
> > THIS  CAN                P E
> >

> > Any ideas ...

0
shekhar
4/25/2006 5:26:23 AM
shekhar.kaushik@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is how
>
> FTFont* ffont = new FTGLPolygonFont( "times.ttf" );
>

> calls to ffont->Render() work perfectly . Porblems come only when i
> want to compile it into a display list ..
>
> I call
>
> ffont->UseDisplayList( false )  before glNewList()
>
> I think thas the correct usage  isnt it ?

Yes, in theory. If you watch the source code you see there is no reason
why it should work.
I reported this in 12/2004 but the ftgl guy released nothing after 12/2004.
I fixed it for my needings and sent it to him but ...

> if i do not disable use of lists in FTGL
>  and try compiling Render() calls into a display list only the first
> character is rendered and a GL error state is set.

I tried this too but in my case it creates to many dls.

Cheers, Jan.
0
Jan

Vista Fonts
Hi Windows Vista is announced to bring new fonts: Calibri, Candara, Consolas, Corbel, Constantia and Cambria. Can you tell me where to find these fonts? I'd appreciate that very much. Werner Werner Gamper wrote: > Hi > > Windows Vista is announced to bring new fonts: Calibri, Candara, Consolas, > Corbel, Constantia and Cambria. > > Can you tell me where to find these fonts? I'd appreciate that very much. See http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=53281 > Werner On 19 Oct 2005 20:55:29 -0700, toby wrote: >> Can you tell me where to find these fo...

fonts=again
Again me with SuSE 9.3, KDE 3.4.2 and problem with fonts in non KDE applications. In Control Center i have an option GTK Styles and Fonts. There are GTK Styles, GTK Fonts and Firefox and Thunderbird. Whatever i choose results in Gimp, Firefox or GQview is same: fonts are small (much smaller than in the KDE applications). What i am doing wrong, please? Thanks, Mitja ...

Command Window Font Color
Is it possible to output to the command window, in a specfifc color, say by using disp, or fprintf. For example: I want to output font like PASS (in green), or FAIL (in red). "Luke " <luke.bagnall@airbus.com> wrote in message <fgescs$hg8$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is it possible to output to the command window, in a > specfifc color, say by using disp, or fprintf. > > For example: > I want to output font like PASS (in green), or FAIL (in > red). You can't control the color programatically, except the following: fprintf(2,'whatever') ...

font
Hello Team, I work with C5 and legacy templates and I'm trying to find a font that gives super- and subscript. Any ideas anyone ? please Thanks in advance Jack please explain Examlpe: chemical formula for water is H2O. Cipher "2" has to be lower then letters "H" and "O", it has to be on the "subcript" level. Zoran. ...

Better looking fonts in Java
I am writing a small XHTML printing class, and am testing it against Firefox. I have noticed that the default font in Firefox shows up quite fine (1 pixel line on the screen). I want to get Java to do this as well (the printed output is much fatter). Any suggestions? John John wrote: > I am writing a small XHTML printing class, and am testing it against > Firefox. I have noticed that the default font in Firefox shows up quite > fine (1 pixel line on the screen). I want to get Java to do this as well > (the printed output is much fatter). > > Any suggestions? > &...

Overstrike font
Hi everyone!! I would do a very simple thing: - to print some overstrike text. I cannot be able to do that. I thought: I can overprint a costant of only '-' character, but the graphic output is very bad, because of space between a '-' and another. E.g.: '-----------'. How can I resolve? Even if I put on a AFPDS print (and I wouldn't do it only for that) I don't know how to print some overstrike text. Many thanks for any help! Fabrizio, Italy Have you tried the underscore character? "_______" Yes, but i have to overstrike (just to tell the item...

Problem with chapter title font capitalization
Folks, I am completing a thesis which I am creating as a memoir class document with LaTeX. The chapter titles need to be in all caps, (not small caps), and the table of contents entries need to be in normal font. Also, I would like all of the chapter names, such as "Contents" for table of contents to be in all caps or small caps. In my style sheet, I have specified the following paramenters: \renewcommand{\chapnamefont}{\centering\scshape\rmfamily}% \renewcommand{\chapnumfont}{\centering\normalfont\rmfamily}% \renewcommand{\chaptitlefont}{\centering\scshape\rmfamily}%...

+++ HELP!!! Looking for SCALA FONT +++
Hi there, I can't find the following fonts for download: FF Scala-Bold FF Scala Sans Regular FF Scala Sans Bold Times (not Times New Roman) All fonts for Windows. Can anybody help and perhaps email them to me? Huge, huge thanks!!! Judith ...

Transcent JetFlash Mp3 Greek font support
Hi, I own a Transcent JetFlash Mp3(256MB) player. When I 'm loading the device with Greek songs (song tilte contains Greek characters) the LCD does not display any of the Greek characters. As far I know a firmware upgrade is possible -even I never tried an upgrade- Does anybody know how I can add Greek font suppport on my Jetflash? regards, MemoryIC ...

pslatex, font size, distance: numbers/axis.
hello, if i chose the font size 10 (pslatex), the numbers of the x- and y-axis are very close to the axis? how ca i achieve a normal good looking distance between the numbers and the axis? thanks! klaus Klaus <doppelkekse@lycos.de> wrote: > if i chose the font size 10 (pslatex), the numbers of the x- and y-axis are > very close to the axis? How exactly did you "choose" that size? -- Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@physik.rwth-aachen.de) Even if all the snow were burnt, ashes would remain. Hans-Bernhard Broeker <broeker@physik.rwth-aa...

More STIX fonts news
Here's the latest STIX fonts news (in diff format, where < indicates old text and > indicates new text): >                    STIX Fonts Beta Test Period Has Concluded 52c52 < More Than 11,000 Have Already Downloaded the Beta Fonts --- > More Than 13,000 Downloaded the Beta Fonts During the Test Period 54,68c54,62 <    We continue to receive feedback regarding the STIX Fonts Beta Test <    release. Additional responses to some of these comments have been posted <    today to the Messag...

Report: How to install and to use TTF fonts in LaTeX (MiKTeX 2.4)
Hi, everyone! That is a very common question in LaTeX, and several ansewrs have been given to it along the time. Recenlty, some changes have been made in MiKTeX, version 2.4 (something in the way MAP files are managed), so that all the solutions I found in the Internet didn't succeed -fonts imported from TTF files looked like "rastered" in the PDF final document, I mean, not vectorial, nice and smooth but like "bit maps" (it can be appreciated when the document is enlarged up to 1200% or more). So, basically, I think THIS is THE solution, at least by the moment. It ha...

Printer fonts not visible
Hi I did a report a while ago set to Epson LQ-1050 and using the hardware fonts to speed up printing. Recently I had to make some changes to report but the problem is that the hardware printer fonts do not display in the fonts drop down in report designer even though I select the Epson LQ-1050 printer. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards ...

gv fonts look ugly
Hi, after I've upgraded to 5.3-R the gv fonts look clumsy. I have URW and type1-fonts installed. The relevant part of my xorg.conf is: Section "Files" RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb" ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/" FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X...

FTGL
Hi, I'm sorry if this question is a bit off topic, but Google indicated this to be the most likely place for FTGL questions. I am using FTGL (and thus FreeType) for drawing text in OpenGL on Windows. My problem is that I would like to let the user select the font using the standard Windows Font dialog, but that I only know how to initialize a FTGL font by giving a filename. And I haven't been able to find any way of getting the font file name from the CHOOSEFONT structure returned by the dialog. Does anybody know how to construct a FTGL font based on a CHOOSEFONT structure? Thanks \N...

fonts #2
Hi! I have SuSE 9.3 and KDE 3.4.2. In earlier versions of KDE there was an option: Apply fonts and colors to non-KDE apps I don't find this option now and fonts in non KDE apps are not same as in the KDE. Thanks, Mitja ...

Font Size in Table
Hi, I want the font size in my table to be Huge. I am using \Huge. According to Kopka and Daly, ".. They make an immediate change that remains in effect until counteracted by another size declaration or until the current environment comes to an end. Please look at my table.tex file below. The \Huge font size only makes the word "Animals" Huge. I want Huge for the entire table. Am I not understanding Kopka and Daly? Many thanks, Joe Hesse =================== \documentclass{article} \begin{document} This is an example of a table. \begin{table}[htbp] \begin{tabular}{|l...

Open source fonts?
I am currenly looking for fonts to be included in a Linux distribution. Where could I find fonts with suitable licences that would allow modification and distribution? I am especially looking for a Univers Condensed lookalike. -Pertti ...

How to load & render the Quake 3 model for animation
Hi all: I want to load and render the Quake 3 model for purpose of animation. At present, I have read a tutorial in http://www.gametutorials.com. However, I afraid this tutorial may be not complete for every Quake 3 model. (Customized for one model) Therefore, who can tell me where to find more complete tutorial or example (you think) including source code using C/C++ and OpenGL for loading and rendering the Quake 3 models????. Thanks very much!!! ^^ "Rice Worm(����)" <jmsu@csie.nctu.edu.tw> wrote in message news:ce4ilk$8a4$1@netnews2.csie.nctu.edu.tw... > However, I afr...

Bitmap fonts
I've made some searches but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of bitmap fonts which can be converted and used as a character bit map in a micro driving video memory directly. Many years ago I came across some DOS fonts which I converted but since lost. Are there any sites where "free" fonts exist, ideally in 8x8 and 8x16 format? Even better a "C" data file! "Fred" <fred@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:44116edc$0$5004$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk... > I've made some searches but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of >...

Princess Font
Looking for a "dingbat" style known as "Princess." Unable to find through any search engine. Thanks for your help. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- "A V McGillan" <alexmac@phreaker.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:sviilvgljfs8rrdae6lq4danmhs4i1v6gk@4ax.com... > Looking for a "dingbat" style known as "Princess." Unable to find > through any search engine. Thanks for your he...

Font ID for NBC font
http://nbc.com/images/fall2005/hdr_home_mostclicked.gif TIA Mike Doughty schrieb: > http://nbc.com/images/fall2005/hdr_home_mostclicked.gif http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ Resea-Regular looks similar -- Super Newsreader: http://www.40tude.com/dialog/ Thanks for the reply...I posted to it about a week ago and it is still unsolved: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/viewthread.php?threadid=19739 I also noticed at dafont.com, someone else posted an id request ... http://www.dafont.com/forum/read.php?3,74570 and someone replied with the same id: http://www.myfonts.com/font...

Font Organization
This was posted this morning in abf, but seems to have been lost in the shuffle of the flood (or I'm being ignored which will be told if I don't get a response to it here :) ) It's quiet for the nonce, (and that didn't last) so let's see if I can start a discussion and get myself educated ... I'm a collector of almost anything that passes my way - a pack rat, if you will. I've worked on a few projects in the past which required unique fonts so this has been a natural place to look - put the two together and I've got myself a really big (several gig) mess... ...

minidom + wxPython woes
Hi all, I'm getting a seg fault when I try to use minidom to parse some XML inside a wxPython app. I was wondering if someone else could run the simple code below on Linux and, if it doesn't crash horribly, post which versions of (Python, wxPython) they are using? I can't find other messages related to this, so I suspect it is something broken with my installation. I'm using Python 2.4.2 and wx 2.6.1.0. Incidentally, writing XML with minidom works fine, and this is all happening in wxPython's main thread. import wx from xml.dom import minidom app = wx.PySimpleApp() f...

Converting fonts back to fonts?
Have a one page PDF document containing just a small amount of text -- but file size is 900 kB instead of say 20 or 30 kB. Opening it in Illustrator and selecting any one character in the text causes the Type palette to indicate that each such character is Helvetica Neue, Regular, 14 pt -- but looking more closely at the character itself seems to show that each character in the text has been, for some reason, converted into a separate and complex vector object. And, pulling down the Type >> Find Fonts menu command seems to show that the document contains _no_ fonts at all (in eit...