opengl editor

Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

Thanks.
0
NoName
3/3/2005 12:20:45 AM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7072 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

NoName wrote:
> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
> exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

I saw a python script for Blender that did that.

You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
will be A FREAKING LOT of code. Better export to some smart
data structrures, and have a loader renderere for that.
(which basically all modellers have/can do, e.g. export to
mdl,md5,.obj, generate BSP/PVS's and so on..
0
ISO
3/3/2005 10:25:32 AM
"Nils O. Sel�sdal" wrote:
> NoName wrote:
>> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>> that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>
> I saw a python script for Blender that did that.
>
> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.

There's no reason it couldn't export data and the code to load it, instead
of just code.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/3/2005 1:36:10 PM
Jon Harrop wrote:

>>>Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>>>that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>>
>>You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>
> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
> code to load it, instead of just code.

If you have the code it's very easy to make
display lists...

--
<\___/>
/ O O \
fungus wrote:

>>> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>>
>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>
> If you have the code it's very easy to make
> display lists...

- which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
use... ;)
0
ISO
3/3/2005 4:19:58 PM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> fungus wrote:

>>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>>
>> If you have the code it's very easy to make
>> display lists...
>
> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
> use... ;)

I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
smoothing... ;-)

Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
g++ couldn't compile it.

Jon
3/4/2005 12:22:17 AM
Jon Harrop wrote:
> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.

So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
bad solution? :) I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
that works quite well.

Kind Regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/4/2005 10:50:59 AM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
>> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.
>
> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

Maths: exporting O(1) code is a better solution.

> I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
> that works quite well.

Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/4/2005 5:38:13 PM
Jon Harrop wrote in message
<4227a9f2$0$537$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:

>>> If you have the code it's very easy to make display lists...
>>
>> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
>> use... ;)

>I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
>smoothing... ;-)

>Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
>g++ couldn't compile it.

Did you remember to use the '-fno-idiot' switch and feed the output back
into the input?

I think if you reverse the 'Gimp' source code, you'll have better luck!

--
Bob 'single-brain-cell, unemployed' R
POVrookie

BobR
3/4/2005 11:33:21 PM
Jon Harrop wrote:
>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>that works quite well.
>
> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
without exporting it?

The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
draw them. E.g.

#define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
..
..
..
void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/5/2005 1:37:10 AM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>>that works quite well.
>>
>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>
> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
> without exporting it?

You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data itself. We
wanted STL data structures so we were exporting code to build these. For
some reason, g++ had (has) problems with large functions so it just fell
over when given this 2,000-line function littered with templates.

> The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
> correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
> draw them. E.g.
>
> #define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
> const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
> .
> .
> .
> void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Yes, that's how you should do it. :-)

We would then have had to write some code to convert this data structure
into whatever we wanted.

The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which don't
suck, of course.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/5/2005 8:33:00 AM
Jon Harrop wrote:
> Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
>>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
>> without exporting it?
>
> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
> itself.

That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
being exported, no matter what form it takes.

> The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which
> don't suck, of course.

I guess exporting straight code is not the better long-term solution for
several reasons. Exporting to a data-file, and simultaneously exporting
a .c/.cpp file that is able to draw the file would probably make more
sense if you really wan't to go this way... but then just supplying the
code once and for all really would be easier, wouldn't it? :)

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/5/2005 12:39:19 PM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
>> itself.
>
> That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
> being exported, no matter what form it takes.

Yes, but some forms take longer to compile than others. In particular, some
forms take asymptotically longer and, consequently, effectively halt gcc
(probably in the optimiser).

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/7/2005 1:21:34 AM
> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

It's a crap solution for anything but (small) toy scenes. We have such
exporter for a mobile engine to avoid data files and more precisely
large (think 15 MB .c file).

That solution doesn't scale well but is alright when the limitations are
*acknowledged* and the failings are not just swept under the carpet.
This was a conscious choise, existing binary exporter was modified to
write scene hierarchy, animations, materials, etc. into sourcecode and
exporting a single "export struct", which the engine knew how to handle.
Naturally the data was ready to reader as it were, extra copying in a
memory hungry environment would have been the last straw..

Conclucion: ascii sourcecode scene export SUCKS ASS BIG TIME. Make no
mistake: if this is for desktop, you're an idiot. No offence. Stay cool
and think things straight. Thank you.
0
kellopeli

OpenGL hardware acceleration for the LabVIEW's OpenGL graphics engine?

status of Fortran API to Vulkan graphics (the "new" openGL)
As many might know, Vulkan has been released 2 days ago on Feb 16, 2016: https://www.khronos.org/news/archives "The Khronos Group announces the immediate availability of the Vulkan 1.0 royalty-free, open standard API specification. Vulkan provides high-efficiency, cross-platform access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs" This is the "new" openGL, called Vulkan. Any one knows if there is any work by any one or company to make a Fortran thin API for Vulkan? The API in in C as it stands. --Nasser "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message news:na55m5$n61$1@gioia.aioe.org... > As many might know, Vulkan has been released 2 days ago on Feb 16, 2016: > https://www.khronos.org/news/archives > "The Khronos Group announces the immediate availability of the Vulkan 1.0 > royalty-free, open standard API specification. Vulkan provides > high-efficiency, > cross-platform access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs" > This is the "new" openGL, called Vulkan. > Any one knows if there is any work by any one or company to make a > Fortran thin API for Vulkan? The API in in C as it stands. The header files look fairly easy to translate to Fortran, but installation of the drivers failed, so I won't be able to do anything with it. ...

OpenGL
I was reading up on real time ray tracing and stumbled upon this demo: http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcarticles.cgi?show=65091 it is one of the best such demos that I've seen. I thought I'd try my hand at remaking the demo using OpenGL instead of ray tracing: http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/bunny/ When hardware accelerated, the OpenGL-based renderer can render the same image over 100x faster than the real time ray tracer with 1/10th as much code. But I noticed something else interesting. When my graphics drivers were broken and OpenGL resorted to softwar...

opengl
I read the text below , I got from somebody via mail, is this true? ................................................................................................................... First of all it is true, I am a member of the openGL ARB, the organization developing GL (it includes ATI, nVidial 3dLabs and many others), I was in the room at Siggraph when this was anounced. We in the ARB has known for some time, but havent been able to say something because may of us have been under Ms NDA (Non disclosure Argeement). But now its out. And yes, this means very much for this comunity. in...

OpenGL
Hi NG, I am trying to install Websphere MQ for AIX, but the installation fails. from: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.amqaac.doc/aq10550_.htm "Note that to use the JDK shipped with WebSphere MQ for AIX, Version 6.0, the fileset Java14.ext.java3d 1.4.2.0 requires the following fileset updates: a.. OpenGL.OpenGL_X.rte.base 5.1.0.50 b.. OpenGL.OpenGL_X.rte.soft 5.1.0.50 An error message will be displayed when you install the JDK if you do not have these updates." where do I look for these updates? Thanks in advance /Kasper ...

OpenGl
Hi I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine. I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5 What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL stuff. thanks john townsley wrote: > Hi > I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine. > I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5 > > What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL > stuff. > > thanks > > I think this would more topical is comp.graphics.api.opengl, rather than here. <OT> AFAIK, at least WinXP and Linux comes with OpenGL he...

OpenGL
Hello, Was wondering if anyone out there had evaluated wxWidgets in combination with OpenGL... David Holland Software Engineer Cubic Applications, Inc. Threat Technologies Division 5695 King Centre Drive Alexandria, Virginia 22310 (703) 924-3050 (Tel) x109 (703) 924-3070 (Fax) --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org --------------enigF8EDA61C...

OpenGL
Hello Anyone out there got tutorials for OpenGL in ruby? I can only find alot of them for c, and some for perl and other bigger languages, but it would be easier if they were for ruby ;) TIA Martin Larsson I'm not sure. The famous NE-HE tutorials for OGL may have also a ruby version. At least the first parts exist in minimum 8 languages Martin larsson schrieb: > Hello > > Anyone out there got tutorials for OpenGL in ruby? I can only find alot > of them for c, and some for perl and other bigger languages, but it > would be easier if they were for ruby ;) > &g...

OpenGL
Does Mathematica 6 use OpenGL under Windows and, if so, is there any trouble running it under Vista? What's the performance like? I was under the impression that Microsoft were deprecating OpenGL on Windows... -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u ...

OpenGL
Hey, I've been searching for something like a PyOpenGL implementation that allows Python to use OpenGL, found only a few projects and most are either in beta and dead, or alpha stage. Anyone knows a package thats currently being worked on and is functional? Thanks NaeRey wrote: > Hey, I've been searching for something like a PyOpenGL implementation > that allows Python to use OpenGL, found only a few projects and most > are either in beta and dead, or alpha stage. > Anyone knows a package thats currently being worked on and is > functional? > Thanks > Something...

OpenGL
Hi All, I am using OpenGL and I have a x,y,z description of a 3D object. I am trying to read those vertices of this object, that are eventually drawn on the screen. Can someone guide me with my problem? Thanks in advance!! Regards Sid sid wrote: > I am using OpenGL and I have a x,y,z description of a 3D object. I am > trying to read those vertices of this object, that are eventually > drawn on the screen. > > Can someone guide me with my problem? Thanks in advance!! Look up GL_TRIANGLES and GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP with www.google.com Then post questions about OpenGL to news:co...

Drag from a double-buffered openGL window.Drag from a double-buffered openGL window.Drag from a double-buffered openGL window.
Hi all, Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 4) I'm not a fan of cross-posting but I'm not sure if this question is more of an X or OpenGL thing, or somewhere else entirely (Motif? Linux?). If these are not the appropriate groups for this topic please let me know. I'm trying to start a drag from a double-buffered OpenGL Motif widget. At the moment I'm not dragging to anywhere or setting up a convert procedure or anything - I'm simply creating a shell with an openGL window and setting up an XmDragContext using XmDragStart when the user presses the left bu...

cl-opengl vs cl-opengl
For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between the cl-opengl that comes with Cello and the cl-opengl project on common-lisp.net. I'm looking into graphics packages and I would like to check out both Cello and OpenGL but it looks like I will be contending with a naming conflict. Why does Cello have it's own OpenGL bindings? Is that something that should be rectified? Is Cello compatible with the other cl-opengl? Sorry for all the questions, -dustin Dustin Withers wrote: > For my own knowledge does anyone (Kenny?) know the differences between > the cl-o...

[ANN] OpenVG over OpenGL and OpenGL|ES
Mazatech has released today the first technology preview of the AmanithVG engine, it's an OpenVG implementation over OpenGL and OpenGL|ES. For more information please refer to the official website: http://www.amanithvg.com Michele Fabbri - Mazatech S.r.l. ...

[ANN] OpenVG over OpenGL and OpenGL|ES
Mazatech has released today the first technology preview of the AmanithVG engine, it's an OpenVG implementation over OpenGL and OpenGL|ES. For more information please refer to the official website: http://www.amanithvg.com Michele Fabbri - Mazatech S.r.l. ...

about opengl
plz tell me which is good? opengl or VTK for 3D medical visualization with VC++ CodeWarrior wrote: > plz tell me which is good? > opengl or VTK for 3D medical visualization with VC++ Is that your spec...."Medical visualization"? First figure out what exactly it is you want to do. When you do that the answer may appear... -- <\___/> / O O \ \_____/ FTB. For email, remove my socks. fungus wrote: > CodeWarrior wrote: > > plz tell me which is good? > > opengl or VTK for 3D medical visualization with VC++ > > > Is that your spec...."...

OpenGL Memory Usage Increases (Windows OpenGL)
I have just completed writing my first OpenGL program (actually, I modified some existing code to run on Windows). When I execute the program, memory usage gradually increases, unexpectedly. When I terminate the program, memory is deallocated (i.e., there does not appear to be a memory leak). Of course the problem is simply that if the program is run "long enough" the system will run out of memory. Following, I include a modified version of the program containing only the draw_scene function and the window procedure. I have tried to leave only those portions that invoke OpenG...

OpenGL?
Hi all! Please, help me to choose the best library for general OpenGL programming with Ruby... Thanx! On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 02:10:04AM +0900, ul wrote: > Hi all! Please, help me to choose the best library for general OpenGL > programming with Ruby... It depends on your purpose. If you just want straight OpenGL, the ruby-opengl gem works nicely. If you want SDL, there's a gem for that, too. If you want something that magically makes you capable of building a first-person shooter game engine, you need some books and experience rather than software. > Thanx! --Greg From: &qu...

No OpenGL?
Hello, Where is the OpenGL support for AIX 4.2.1? I have checked all my CDs, and the only occurence I can find is on the Update CD. Obviously, these are only updates and ask for the base level components that I can't find. Am I missing a CD? Here's the CDs I have: - AIX V4.2.1 for 5765-C34 Volume 1 of 2 - AIX V4.2.1 for 5765-C34 Volume 2 of 2 - AIX V4.2.1 Bonus Pack 5765-C34 - AIX V4.2.1 Update CD 5765-C34 - Performance Toolbox for AIX V2.2 (Network) 5765-654 - AIX 4.2.1 Additional Device Software - IBM RS/6000 Multi-Initiator/RAID EL Adapted Device Drivers, Adapter Microcode, and SSA...

OpenGL?
Can anyone point me at significant open source OpenGL projects done in Scheme? Where 'significant' means it has some substantial functionality and is substantially mature. Not someone's alpha code that's only in a planning stage and doesn't really work. I'm also interested in OpenGL bindings, or C FFIs that are so good you don't really need an OpenGL binding. Comments on the quality of any given binding are appreciated. When I search this newsgroup for 'OpenGL' over the past 4 years, I only get 23 hits. Not much better luck for '3D' either. Th...

OpenGL ES API
Can anybody please let me give some example code for 1) glReadPixel 2) glCompressTexSubImage2D 3) glQueryMatrixOES Any web site/link for the same would be also appreciated. Thanks in advance Ajay ajay.k@in.bosch.com ...

OpenGL api call ?
Hi all I am making some examples with openGL and I have one problem with two functions. "glGenTextures y glDeleteTextures." OpenGLLibrary>>glGenTextures: n textures: textures " Generate texture names void glGenTextures( GLsizei n, GLuint * textures); n: Specifies the number of texture names to be generated. textures: Specifies an array in which the generated texture names are stored." <stdcall: void glGenTextures sdword dword*> ^self invalidCall OpenGLLibrary>>glDeleteTex...

openGL for turtle graphics
I am developing a Logo-like turtle graphics system in the programming language J http://www.jsoftware.com/ . At present the system is implemented in a graphics system called "gl2". J is adopting "openGL" and I am assuming it is a much richer graphics environment. openGL likely includes sprites or layers or some other feature that would make managing turtles separately from the background much easier. There may also be openGL features for screen wraparound and slide controls for window scrolling. Are there any existing openGL implementations of such systems that I could ...

About OpenGL???
Hi again! I'm wondering if I need to install any library, dll etc to be able to program usin OpenGL. For instance, using DirectX you need to install the SDK from Microsoft. If I need something for OpenGL where do I find it?? Thanks! Q wrote: > Hi again! > > I'm wondering if I need to install any library, dll etc to be able to > program usin OpenGL. > > For instance, using DirectX you need to install the SDK from Microsoft. > > If I need something for OpenGL where do I find it?? > > Thanks! > > The openGL libr...

Web resources about - opengl editor - comp.graphics.api.opengl

Core OpenGL - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Core OpenGL , or CGL , is Apple Inc. 's Macintosh Quartz windowing system interface to the OS X implementation of the OpenGL specification. CGL ...

AdaOpenGL - An Ada binding to OpenGL
It was about time to release 0.12. I have been putting it off for a while now hoping that someone would test the WGL binding, but so far that ...

OpenGL Extensions Viewer on the Mac App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about OpenGL Extensions Viewer. Download OpenGL Extensions Viewer for ...

Citra running Ocarina of Time 3D Near Fullspeed with OpenGL Renderer - YouTube
This footage has not been sped up; it's actually running around, or even faster than, full speed most of the time! There are a lot of OpenGL ...

OpenGL 3.2 released at SIGGRAPH
At the SIGGRAPH graphics conference in New Orleans this week, the Khronos Group announced the release of OpenGL 3.2. The new revision of the ...

Valve finds extra performance in OpenGL and Linux
Left 4 Dead 2 on OpenGL smokes its Direct X counterpart

The competition: Galaxy Nexus brings the heat, beating iOS 5 in browser speed tests, but falling in OpenGL ...
The first Ice Cream Sandwich handset, the Galaxy Nexus, hit the UK this week (US launch coming soon) and AnandTech has benchmarked the ICS/Galaxy ...

Khronos Offers a Quick Peek at the Next Version of OpenGL ES
Amidst the hustle and bustle of CES 2014, Khronos has published a short announcement regarding the next version of OpenGL ES (OpenGL ES Next). ...

3DMark adds new mobile benchmark for OpenGL ES 3
... companies, has just released a new graphics benchmark for Android devices named Sling Shot, which tests your device against a range of OpenGL ...