opengl editor

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

Thanks.
0
Reply NoName 3/3/2005 12:20:45 AM

See related articles to this posting

NoName wrote:
> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
> exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

I saw a python script for Blender that did that.

You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
will be A FREAKING LOT of code. Better export to some smart
data structrures, and have a loader renderere for that.
(which basically all modellers have/can do, e.g. export to
mdl,md5,.obj, generate BSP/PVS's and so on..
0
Reply ISO 3/3/2005 10:25:32 AM

"Nils O. Sel�sdal" wrote:
> NoName wrote:
>> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>> that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>
> I saw a python script for Blender that did that.
>
> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.

There's no reason it couldn't export data and the code to load it, instead
of just code.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Reply Jon 3/3/2005 1:36:10 PM

Jon Harrop wrote:

>>>Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>>>that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>>
>>You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>
> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
> code to load it, instead of just code.

If you have the code it's very easy to make
display lists...

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

fungus wrote:

>>> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>>
>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>
> If you have the code it's very easy to make
> display lists...

- which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
use... ;)
0
Reply ISO 3/3/2005 4:19:58 PM

Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> fungus wrote:

>>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>>
>> If you have the code it's very easy to make
>> display lists...
>
> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
> use... ;)

I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
smoothing... ;-)

Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
g++ couldn't compile it.

Reply Jon 3/4/2005 12:22:17 AM

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.

So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
bad solution? :) I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
that works quite well.

Kind Regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
Reply ISO 3/4/2005 10:50:59 AM

Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
>> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.
>
> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

Maths: exporting O(1) code is a better solution.

> I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
> that works quite well.

Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Reply Jon 3/4/2005 5:38:13 PM

Jon Harrop wrote in message
<4227a9f2$0$537$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:

>>> If you have the code it's very easy to make display lists...
>>
>> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
>> use... ;)

>I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
>smoothing... ;-)

>Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
>g++ couldn't compile it.

Did you remember to use the '-fno-idiot' switch and feed the output back
into the input?

I think if you reverse the 'Gimp' source code, you'll have better luck!

--
Bob 'single-brain-cell, unemployed' R
POVrookie

Reply BobR 3/4/2005 11:33:21 PM

Jon Harrop wrote:
>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>that works quite well.
>
> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
without exporting it?

The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
draw them. E.g.

#define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
..
..
..
void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
Reply ISO 3/5/2005 1:37:10 AM

Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>>that works quite well.
>>
>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>
> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
> without exporting it?

You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data itself. We
wanted STL data structures so we were exporting code to build these. For
some reason, g++ had (has) problems with large functions so it just fell
over when given this 2,000-line function littered with templates.

> The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
> correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
> draw them. E.g.
>
> #define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
> const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
> .
> .
> .
> void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Yes, that's how you should do it. :-)

We would then have had to write some code to convert this data structure
into whatever we wanted.

The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which don't
suck, of course.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Reply Jon 3/5/2005 8:33:00 AM

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
>>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
>> without exporting it?
>
> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
> itself.

That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
being exported, no matter what form it takes.

> The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which
> don't suck, of course.

I guess exporting straight code is not the better long-term solution for
several reasons. Exporting to a data-file, and simultaneously exporting
a .c/.cpp file that is able to draw the file would probably make more
sense if you really wan't to go this way... but then just supplying the
code once and for all really would be easier, wouldn't it? :)

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
Reply ISO 3/5/2005 12:39:19 PM

Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
>> itself.
>
> That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
> being exported, no matter what form it takes.

Yes, but some forms take longer to compile than others. In particular, some
forms take asymptotically longer and, consequently, effectively halt gcc
(probably in the optimiser).

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Reply Jon 3/7/2005 1:21:34 AM

> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

It's a crap solution for anything but (small) toy scenes. We have such
exporter for a mobile engine to avoid data files and more precisely
large (think 15 MB .c file).

That solution doesn't scale well but is alright when the limitations are
*acknowledged* and the failings are not just swept under the carpet.
This was a conscious choise, existing binary exporter was modified to
write scene hierarchy, animations, materials, etc. into sourcecode and
exporting a single "export struct", which the engine knew how to handle.
Naturally the data was ready to reader as it were, extra copying in a
memory hungry environment would have been the last straw..

Conclucion: ascii sourcecode scene export SUCKS ASS BIG TIME. Make no
mistake: if this is for desktop, you're an idiot. No offence. Stay cool
and think things straight. Thank you.
0
Reply kellopeli 3/7/2005 6:31:59 AM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7100 articles. 24 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

2d Object editor in OpenGL
Dear Readers, I want to learn how to write a 2D object editor using OpenGL. I want to be able to join objects and add objects, select, move and delete objects. I have mastered drawing and picking in openGL - however I am not sure how to tie it all together to make a object editor in OpenGL. Could some recommend some books or webs sites I can read about using OpenGL for basic object editor. The reason I ask is OpenGL books are not normally carried in libraries or bookshops in Japan so I need to buy from USA. I am a Xlib programmer who wants to move to OpenGL. Any suggestions would be ...

object editor and drawing lib for OpenGL
Hi, i search for basically two things that should work together: 1. an object editor that lets me construct 3D objects with: - surfaces with colors - textures - armatures/bones for animation 2. a library to draw these objects with OpenGL. I want to: - draw the objects in 3D, use parameters (like bone angles, ...) - use other openGL commands to draw own primitives Something like this should exist for game development, right? Best regards, Torsten. Torsten Mohr wrote: > Hi, > > i search for basically two things that should work together: >...

looking for full text editor control/widget for OpenGL
Hi, I'm looking for a full-fledged text editor control or widget which is designed to work well with OpenGL. I need something on the order of Apple's Edit Text or MLTE, Marco Piovanelli's WASTE editor at http://www.merzwaren.com/waste/index.html, or Microsoft's RichEdit, but as a properly incorporated 2D component. This needs to support formatted multi-line editing, as well as multiple font face, size and styles, justification, spacing. It doesn't have to be a complete word processor with paragraph formatting and style sheets. Does this exist? Is someone working on...

Cpsed 0.1 an OpenGL 3D scene editor
Hi, Cpsed is a Linux OpenGL 3D scene editor built with QT library. It allows to import .3ds model files and to position, rotate and scale each of them. It features open/save/delete function. The 3ds loader also loads the textures in JPG/BMP/TGA format. DFF Renderware format support is in course. The save file format is pure ascii with comma separated values. This is the initial release. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpsed/ -- Colossus ...

Cpsed 0.1 an OpenGL 3D scene editor
Hi, Cpsed is a Linux OpenGL 3D scene editor built with QT library. It allows to import .3ds model files and to position, rotate and scale each of them. It features open/save/delete function. The 3ds loader also loads the textures in JPG/BMP/TGA format. DFF Renderware format support is in course. The save file format is pure ascii with comma separated values. This is the initial release. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpsed/ Colossus ...

Cpsed 0.1 an OpenGL 3D scene editor
Cpsed is an OpenGL 3D scene editor built with QT library. It allows to import .3ds model files and to position, rotate and scale each of them. It features open/save/delete function. The 3ds loader also loads the textures in JPG/BMP/TGA format. DFF Renderware format support is in course. The save file format is pure ascii with comma separated values. This is the initial release. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cpsed/ -- Colossus (Giuseppe Torelli) ########################################################################## # Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: cola@s...

Alternative Editor to SAS editor?
Is there a full featured editor that I could use to build SAS programs as an alternative to the editor in Sas? And it would be very useful to be able to submit code directly to SAS, that is, highlight the code and submit it. Currently I use an editor, Kedit.(from the 1980s) I develop code it in and copy and paste into the SAS editor window and then execute. Kedit is very powerful and fast, but I suspect there is something better. Richard Hoskins WA State Dept of Health > From: Hoskins, Richard E. (DOH) > Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:34 PM > Subject: Alternative Editor to SAS...

$EDITOR sucks, $EDITOR rules!
page: http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/srom/ after five years the truth is still there! hehe ;-) Sven -- Sven Guckes HOLY WARS of Usenet sig-holy-wars @guckes.net HOLY EDITOR: emacs|vi TEXT: text/plain|base64|quoted-printable HOLY PAGER: less|more SHELL: sh|bash|ksh|tcsh|zsh tabstop=2|4|8 HOLY textwidth=65|72|80 TABOO: indent_string=">" sigdashes=ON et! Gven Suckes, the world's most obnoxious and useful sour-Kraut, wrote: > page: http://www.tarunz.org/~vassilii/srom/ > after five years the truth is still there! > hehe ;-) >...

Editor
I'd like to display the contents of a file to users giving them the opportunity to search or scroll, but not allow them to change or save. I can't use the "type" command because the files are too large. Any suggestions? This is what I'm currently doing, but need another method. $myfile = $sortedarray[$input]; $mypath = '\\\\tlrntfs1\\IT_Common\\output\\'; $myprogram = '"C:\\Windows\\notepad.exe"'; $mycommand = $myprogram.' "'.$mypath.$myfile ; system($mycommand); tyjb <tyjbxx@yahoo.com> wrote in message-id: <11810487...

editor
Dear all, which LaTeX editor on UNIX do you recommend? I am currently using the vi but without any enthusiasm, I would definitely prefer a more comfortable environment for LaTeX ... somebody has adviced me to use xemacs ... Up to now I have mainly worked on a Win machine with WinEdt. The UNIX editor I am looking for does not to have as "button oriented" as WinEdt but vi is definitely too anachronistic ;-). Thanks for some recommendations! pkg "pkg" <Patric.Gloede@t-online.de> writes: > which LaTeX editor on UNIX do you recommend? I am currently using > the...

Editor
Please, friends, how can I configure my editor in a way that all open files can be in different tabs but one window. each time I load a script it opens in a new window. I need them in one window so I can navigate through them using the tabs. ...

OpenGL
Does Mathematica 6 use OpenGL under Windows and, if so, is there any trouble running it under Vista? What's the performance like? I was under the impression that Microsoft were deprecating OpenGL on Windows... -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u ...

opengl
I read the text below , I got from somebody via mail, is this true? ................................................................................................................... First of all it is true, I am a member of the openGL ARB, the organization developing GL (it includes ATI, nVidial 3dLabs and many others), I was in the room at Siggraph when this was anounced. We in the ARB has known for some time, but havent been able to say something because may of us have been under Ms NDA (Non disclosure Argeement). But now its out. And yes, this means very much for this comunity. in...

Editor
Hi there I have C5 ... C55 And C6 And the Editor is really bad. I just want to know if it's only happend to me or if it's a global situation. I mean, sometimes Im writing a code and I need to go to another application like the block notes or answer a message in the MSN or get some embeds point in another version of clarion in other APP, and I lost the FOCUS on the Editor and I Just see the tree source. And Sometimes I just can back the source I just write. Sometimes Clarion Crash and I lost all the change I just made. The question is: Is there another Editor to use ? How can I f...

Editor
Hi, wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the crimson editor - is there a better one? Hans Hans Herrmann wrote: > Hi, > wich editor do you prefer for tcl/tk under windows xp, I'm using the > crimson editor - is there a better one? > Hans elvis http://kammerchor.the-little-red-haired-girl.org/elvisdoc/index.html Heinz Hans Herrmann wrote: > "Heinz-J�rgen Oertel" <hj.oertel@surfeu.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag > news:d2us63$vt5$2@ulysses.news.tiscali.de... > >>Hans Herrmann wrote: >> >> >>>...

OpenGL
Hello Anyone out there got tutorials for OpenGL in ruby? I can only find alot of them for c, and some for perl and other bigger languages, but it would be easier if they were for ruby ;) TIA Martin Larsson I'm not sure. The famous NE-HE tutorials for OGL may have also a ruby version. At least the first parts exist in minimum 8 languages Martin larsson schrieb: > Hello > > Anyone out there got tutorials for OpenGL in ruby? I can only find alot > of them for c, and some for perl and other bigger languages, but it > would be easier if they were for ruby ;) > &g...

OpenGl
Hi I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine. I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5 What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL stuff. thanks john townsley wrote: > Hi > I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine. > I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5 > > What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL > stuff. > > thanks > > I think this would more topical is comp.graphics.api.opengl, rather than here. <OT> AFAIK, at least WinXP and Linux comes with OpenGL he...

OpenGL
Hi All, I am using OpenGL and I have a x,y,z description of a 3D object. I am trying to read those vertices of this object, that are eventually drawn on the screen. Can someone guide me with my problem? Thanks in advance!! Regards Sid sid wrote: > I am using OpenGL and I have a x,y,z description of a 3D object. I am > trying to read those vertices of this object, that are eventually > drawn on the screen. > > Can someone guide me with my problem? Thanks in advance!! Look up GL_TRIANGLES and GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP with www.google.com Then post questions about OpenGL to news:co...

OpenGL
Hey, I've been searching for something like a PyOpenGL implementation that allows Python to use OpenGL, found only a few projects and most are either in beta and dead, or alpha stage. Anyone knows a package thats currently being worked on and is functional? Thanks NaeRey wrote: > Hey, I've been searching for something like a PyOpenGL implementation > that allows Python to use OpenGL, found only a few projects and most > are either in beta and dead, or alpha stage. > Anyone knows a package thats currently being worked on and is > functional? > Thanks > Something...

Editor
Hello, Who is the best program editor for develop progress programs ? I have the editor MED. Have somebody experience with this editor ? Thanks Steffen ...

Editor
Hi! I am a new user of this group. I have to provide a Barcode Editor for a pharmaceutical company. This Editor have the features of moving label components like Product Name to any position of Barcode By draging with mouse, at any position the user wants to. All things have to be generated at run time. I have developed one but facing problems in putting these components on an object like GroupBox. The controls like Sle is going behind the GroupBox at run time. Could any one of u provide me with a code of such an sample editor, which could lead my way to develop the editor. Look...

Editor
An update I did replaced E with AE. I'd taken a quick look at AE before, but I don't know the answer to this question. Did the most recent version of AE somehow get compiled without the Find and Change feature? Jim L -- Frivolous lawsuits: Term used by politicians to make slow thinkers believe the opposing policital party is out to prevent legitimate suits. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:21:44 UTC, inkleput@-----isp.com wrote: > An update I did replaced E with AE. I'd taken a quick look at AE > before, but I don't know the answer to this question. > &...

OpenGL
Hello, Was wondering if anyone out there had evaluated wxWidgets in combination with OpenGL... David Holland Software Engineer Cubic Applications, Inc. Threat Technologies Division 5695 King Centre Drive Alexandria, Virginia 22310 (703) 924-3050 (Tel) x109 (703) 924-3070 (Fax) --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org --------------enigF8EDA61C...

Editor
Hi ! Can you tell me if there is any (KDE) graphical editor, which offers the following : - Allowing more than one files to be opened - All opened files are visible as Tabs (so you can select between them using click on a tab) - Syntax highlighting depending on opened file extension (.c for C language etc...) - Shortcut key binding to a specified command (which allows also macro letters, e.g. %n for opened filename (w/ extendsion), %d for file directory or similar) - Catching external command into Output window Thanks for any hint Op Wed, 12 May 2004 11:41:50 +0200, sch...