opengl editor

Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

Thanks.
0
NoName
3/3/2005 12:20:45 AM
comp.graphics.api.opengl 7063 articles. 24 followers. Post Follow

NoName wrote:
> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux) that
> exports the scene in OpenGL C code?

I saw a python script for Blender that did that.

You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
will be A FREAKING LOT of code. Better export to some smart
data structrures, and have a loader renderere for that.
(which basically all modellers have/can do, e.g. export to
mdl,md5,.obj, generate BSP/PVS's and so on..
0
ISO
3/3/2005 10:25:32 AM
"Nils O. Sel�sdal" wrote:
> NoName wrote:
>> Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>> that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>
> I saw a python script for Blender that did that.
>
> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.

There's no reason it couldn't export data and the code to load it, instead
of just code.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/3/2005 1:36:10 PM
Jon Harrop wrote:

>>>Hi. Do you know of any open source simple 3D modeler/editor (for linux)
>>>that exports the scene in OpenGL C code?
>>
>>You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>
> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
> code to load it, instead of just code.

If you have the code it's very easy to make
display lists...

--
<\___/>
/ O O \
fungus wrote:

>>> You really, really, really do NOT want to do that, it
>>> will be A FREAKING LOT of code.
>>
>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>
> If you have the code it's very easy to make
> display lists...

- which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
use... ;)
0
ISO
3/3/2005 4:19:58 PM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> fungus wrote:

>>> There's no reason it couldn't export data and the
>>> code to load it, instead of just code.
>>
>> If you have the code it's very easy to make
>> display lists...
>
> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
> use... ;)

I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
smoothing... ;-)

Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
g++ couldn't compile it.

Jon
3/4/2005 12:22:17 AM
Jon Harrop wrote:
> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.

So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
bad solution? :) I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
that works quite well.

Kind Regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/4/2005 10:50:59 AM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from
>> graphics, g++ couldn't compile it.
>
> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

Maths: exporting O(1) code is a better solution.

> I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
> that works quite well.

Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/4/2005 5:38:13 PM
Jon Harrop wrote in message
<4227a9f2$0$537$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>...
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:

>>> If you have the code it's very easy to make display lists...
>>
>> - which is of course where it should end up for any kind of serious
>> use... ;)

>I'm so glad you guys are finally seeing the light. Now, about polygon
>smoothing... ;-)

>Seriously though, the last time I tried to generate C++ code from graphics,
>g++ couldn't compile it.

Did you remember to use the '-fno-idiot' switch and feed the output back
into the input?

I think if you reverse the 'Gimp' source code, you'll have better luck!

--
Bob 'single-brain-cell, unemployed' R
POVrookie

BobR
3/4/2005 11:33:21 PM
Jon Harrop wrote:
>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>that works quite well.
>
> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?

Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
without exporting it?

The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
draw them. E.g.

#define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
..
..
..
void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/5/2005 1:37:10 AM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>>I know Okino's Polytrans has an OpenGL-export function
>>>that works quite well.
>>
>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>
> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
> without exporting it?

You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data itself. We
wanted STL data structures so we were exporting code to build these. For
some reason, g++ had (has) problems with large functions so it just fell
over when given this 2,000-line function littered with templates.

> The exported file was standard C compilable though. If I remember
> correctly it was exported as a couple of arrays of data, and code to
> draw them. E.g.
>
> #define NUMBER_OF_POINTS 1234
> const float positions[NUMBER_OF_POINTS] = { <data> }
> .
> .
> .
> void draw() { <enable each array and draw primitives } )

Yes, that's how you should do it. :-)

We would then have had to write some code to convert this data structure
into whatever we wanted.

The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which don't
suck, of course.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/5/2005 8:33:00 AM
Jon Harrop wrote:
> Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
>>> Then it probably exports mixed code and data?
>> Of course it exports mixed code and data? How would you draw data
>> without exporting it?
>
> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
> itself.

That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
being exported, no matter what form it takes.

> The better long-term solution is to use languages and compilers which
> don't suck, of course.

I guess exporting straight code is not the better long-term solution for
several reasons. Exporting to a data-file, and simultaneously exporting
a .c/.cpp file that is able to draw the file would probably make more
sense if you really wan't to go this way... but then just supplying the
code once and for all really would be easier, wouldn't it? :)

Kind regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel
0
ISO
3/5/2005 12:39:19 PM
Mikkel Gj�l wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> You can export code to build the data, rather than exporting data
>> itself.
>
> That's just another way of describing the data. It's still the same data
> being exported, no matter what form it takes.

Yes, but some forms take longer to compile than others. In particular, some
forms take asymptotically longer and, consequently, effectively halt gcc
(probably in the optimiser).

http://www.ffconsultancy.com
0
Jon
3/7/2005 1:21:34 AM
> So, how does your inability to implement a solution correctly, make it a
> bad solution? :)

It's a crap solution for anything but (small) toy scenes. We have such
exporter for a mobile engine to avoid data files and more precisely
large (think 15 MB .c file).

That solution doesn't scale well but is alright when the limitations are
*acknowledged* and the failings are not just swept under the carpet.
This was a conscious choise, existing binary exporter was modified to
write scene hierarchy, animations, materials, etc. into sourcecode and
exporting a single "export struct", which the engine knew how to handle.
Naturally the data was ready to reader as it were, extra copying in a
memory hungry environment would have been the last straw..

Conclucion: ascii sourcecode scene export SUCKS ASS BIG TIME. Make no
mistake: if this is for desktop, you're an idiot. No offence. Stay cool
and think things straight. Thank you.
0
kellopeli

How to set foreground and background color for cell block in editor?
Hello all: I would like to change the foreground & background for cell blocks in editor, b/c the default background is too light to see. I found the menu File->Preference->Colors, but nothing there for setting cell blocks. Thank you -Daniel ...

win32, windows and opengl
Hi i tried to set up an opengl window without glut. I can see the window ;) but no objects inside. I can change the backgroundcolor...so i guess the window works fine. But i dont know why the data, in this case a read triangle, is not shown. I dont use the WM_PAINT mechanism. I use something like this while(1) { if (PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE)) { TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage(&msg); if (msg.message==WM_QUIT) break; } else { RenderScene(); SwapBuffers(g_HDC); } } later i want to create my own "renderthread" this is on...

ANN: Leo 3.12 outlining editor
leo.py 3.12 July 17, 2003 leo.py 3.12 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/ This version fixes many bugs and adds several major new features. The first announcement of 3.12 appeared a few days ago on SourceForge. Since then, a few minor bugs have been found. In particular, when installing Leo on Linux, please remove previous installations of Leo before running the install script. This will ensure that the new subdirectories of the main Leo directory are created properly. Window sizes are now in pixels rather than grid units, so...

Senior OpenGL Application Developer #3
What they will offer you: One of the best reasons to consider working at this company is the sheer diversity of their business and the level of experience, market- wide, you will gain. Not only will you have the chance to work with leading edge technologies, but you will also have the opportunity to remain challenged by taking on wide-ranging projects over time. The development teams are comprised of highly motivated, brilliant individuals and SW engineers who excel at overcoming system-level software development challenges. The culture is best described by the motto "Work hard, play ha...

OpenGL from JNI on MacOSX
We have a JNI wrapper around OpenGL that we use for Java (until we replace with the Sun/SGI JOGL). This works on Windows and Sun, and I am trying to port it to the Mac. In the JNI code (which is in C), I have to load the AWT library, get the drawing info out of that, and get the version native to the mac. This is a JAWT_MacOSXDrawingSurfaceInfo, and inside it are: cgWindowID cgConnectionID cgContextRef cocoaWindowRef carbonWindowRef windowX, windowY windowWidth, windowHeight On Windows, we get a field called hwnd from the Windows-specific structure. On Sun, we get a drawable. This gets p...

OpenGL and Wine on iMac/OS X (x86)
Hello, first of all - sorry for my bad english. I need some help building wine on my x86 mac. I don't have any problems building it using the description on "WineHQ.org" but i have problems editing the script enabling D3D / OpenGL support Building Wine i receive the following warning message indicating that D3D / OpenGL support is disabled: "configure: WARNING: Wine will be build without OpenGL or Direct3D support configure: WARNING: because something is wrong with the OpenGL setup: configure: WARNING: No OpenGL" Is there any way enabling this 3D su...

UI in OpenGL
What is the best method of implementing a user interface in OpenGL? I am considering 'widgets' such as health bars and so on for games, and things like buttons. Is it best to draw these objects in 3D (using the ModelView matrix and standard projection, etc.), as close as possible to the screen, probably after disabling lighting and texturing? Or is there some more obvious/efficient method where you could draw directly to the screen buffer, a bit like GDI/GDI+ or similar? Thanks in advance. -- David Lewis David Lewis wrote: > What is the best method of implementing a user ...

openGL screensavers in KDE have stopped working
All of my openGL screensavers have suddenly stopped working. I haven't changed any of my config files and now all the openGL screensavers are just blank screens. The small preview window is also blank when i am in the kcontrol/look'n'feel area. I can run kcontrol as root and all of the opengl screensaver previews are there and the opengl screensavers also work when logged into kde as root. This happened a few days ago when I tried to change the screensaver as a normal user by selecting the screen saver option by right clicking on the desktop but when I went into kcontrol the long w...

Editor
Hi there I have C5 ... C55 And C6 And the Editor is really bad. I just want to know if it's only happend to me or if it's a global situation. I mean, sometimes Im writing a code and I need to go to another application like the block notes or answer a message in the MSN or get some embeds point in another version of clarion in other APP, and I lost the FOCUS on the Editor and I Just see the tree source. And Sometimes I just can back the source I just write. Sometimes Clarion Crash and I lost all the change I just made. The question is: Is there another Editor to use ? How can I f...

Can't open basic script editor
When I try to edit a script I click on the edit script icon and it opens notepad instead of the basic script editor. How do I change this? Thanks Jim Wasn't it jim4897 who wrote: >When I try to edit a script I click on the edit script icon and it >opens notepad instead of the basic script editor. How do I change this? The PSP internal basic script editor doesn't work with scripts that have been edited to contain raw Python code. It only works with scripts that contain only calls to PSP actions and comments. If the script you are trying to edit contains raw Python commands, y...

Rendering to an OpenGL context from another process on Linux
Is this possible? -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u "Jon Harrop" <usenet@jdh30.plus.com> wrote in message news:13o4vo6gv74969a@corp.supernews.com... > Re: Rendering to an OpenGL context from another process on Linux > Is this possible? > > -- > Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd. > http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u no, not directly, You cannot acquire or share an opengl context from another process. You can from another thread in the same process. -jbw "Greg Couch&qu...

OpenGL
Hi NG, I am trying to install Websphere MQ for AIX, but the installation fails. from: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.amqaac.doc/aq10550_.htm "Note that to use the JDK shipped with WebSphere MQ for AIX, Version 6.0, the fileset Java14.ext.java3d 1.4.2.0 requires the following fileset updates: a.. OpenGL.OpenGL_X.rte.base 5.1.0.50 b.. OpenGL.OpenGL_X.rte.soft 5.1.0.50 An error message will be displayed when you install the JDK if you do not have these updates." where do I look for these updates? Thanks in advance /Kasper ...

IDE that uses an external editor?
One thing that's kept me from even looking at IDEs is that to the best of my knowledge none of them will integrate properly with external editors like Emacs or vi. I know lots of tools support "Emacs-like keybindings", but believe me, I've never found one that does a decent job of that. There is just so much more to powerful editors like Emacs or vi than a handful of cursor movement commands. Once a person is proficient they generally won't accept substitutes. So, please prove me wrong. Are there any IDEs that will actually work with an external instance of Emacs (e...

Using Python with SciTE editor
Hello, I have a problem running Python programs from within SciTE, under Linux --- the input( ) function fails with "IOError: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor" The same program will run happily in SciTE, under Windows --- gets the input, goes off and calculates wondrous things --- but somehow, in Linux, I'm not set up right. This is true using Fedora Core, and Kunbuntu (KDE in both cases, if that matters). I'm guessing that I need to fix one of my ".properties" configuration files, but I have no idea what to fix. Please help - please, please, pleasepleasePle...

OpenGL drivers
Hello, i would know if there exists an improved version of the OpenGL - drivers for the graphic Card GMA X3100? (its to work, not to play games) -the drivers are badly coded.. ...

opengl source code 42489
Hello, I need to find the source code of opengl because i'm doing a project for the university, someone can help me, thanks you.writeme@gmail.com a �crit : > Hello, I need to find the source code of opengl because i'm doing a > project for the university, someone can help me, thanks > source code of opengl ?? If you mean "source code for opengl" see http://nehe.gamedev.net/ and some other results of Google search about opengl. Otherwise I don't know (and I don't understand), try to see gl.h and glu.h If you are a beginner and you want to do something go...

[ANN] Microwave Editor for Macintosh version 4.0.013 released
[ANN] Microwave Editor for Macintosh version 4.0.013 released To all Waldorf Microwave Synthesizer owners with Macintosh Computers on their desktop, I just want to let you know that there is a new version of the Microwave Editor software available: http://me.in-berlin.de/~fielitz/mw/main.html Beside the usual bugfixes and enhancements, it is now possible to save and restore WaveTables with the contained Waves when the Wavetable Editor window is frontmost. Another main feature is the improved organization for data files (sound banks, sound patches, multi programs, global data ...

Amazing Photo Editor
Download here: http://www.silvereaglesoft.com/Software/Ape.exe Key features 1. Support 27 input formats and 19 output formats. 2. photo files access. ( New, Open, Save, Save as, Save all, Print, Email photo Scanner, Convert image format, Batch Conversion ) 3. 9 kinds of photo process. ( Horizontal mirror, Vertical mirror, Insert text, Rotate, Resize, Adjust color, Negative, Gray scale, Intensity ) 4. 10 photo effects (Noise, Balance, Lighten, Sharpen and so on). 5. 27 photo effect filters. 6. Color Transfer. 7. Add Frame to photo. 8. 4 photo optimization (Auto Smooth, Gussian Bl...

Antialiasing OpenGL in MFC?
Help! I'm having terrible trouble getting Antialiasing to work in my OpenGL MFC app. I'm running the Jitter loop OnDraw, however the Antialiasing just doesn't work. I've included my Pixelformat descriptors together with the OnDraw code. Any suggestions grateful received as I'm tairing my hair out after trawling Google all evening! Kind Regards Andrew ----------------------------------------------------------- void CGL2AviView::OnDraw(CDC* pDC) { CGL2AviDoc* pDoc = GetDocument(); ASSERT_VALID(pDoc); // making gl context current BOOL bResult = wglMakeCurrent (pD...

Higher-level OpenGL modules
Greetings, Does anybody know of or is working on any python modules that allow for a direct but higher-level interface to OpenGL? For example, quick functions to draw lines, curves, and basic shapes; define hsb color mode; fill and stroke operations; easy loading of images, svg files, etc (much like the processing language - http://www.processing.org/reference/index.html). The closest thing I could find was devachan - http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/sw/devachan/, but its very limited. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Leon Leon wrote: > http://www.processing.org/referen...

OpenGL
Hello, Was wondering if anyone out there had evaluated wxWidgets in combination with OpenGL... David Holland Software Engineer Cubic Applications, Inc. Threat Technologies Division 5695 King Centre Drive Alexandria, Virginia 22310 (703) 924-3050 (Tel) x109 (703) 924-3070 (Fax) --------------------------------------------------------------------- Please read http://www.wxwindows.org/mlhowto.htm before posting. To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org --------------enigF8EDA61C...

OpenGL Shading Language #2
It seems like the new kid on the block is OpenGL Shading Language. Nobody talked about this 5 years ago when I was heavy into 3d programming. Now it is coming up in interviews. Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what OpenGL Shading Language is and why I might want to use this thing? What effects can you do with it that you can't without it? On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:42:03 -0800 (PST) bob <bob@coolgroups.com> wrote: > It seems like the new kid on the block is OpenGL Shading Language. New?! GLSL has been around since 2003. > Nobody talked about this 5 years ago ...

US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45310857605)
US-TX-Austin: Copy Editor, Strong Proof Editor, Freelance copy editor, Very deta (45310857605) ============================================================================================== Position: Copy Editor Reference: SMC01447 Location: Austin TX Duration: Contract to hire Skills: Strong Proof Editor Freelance copy editor Very detailed Scope: 1. Edit and post sitreps for Website(s), proofread and post daily analytical pieces � striving always for flawless spelling and grammar. Consistently apply Company and AP style ...

opengl version
How do I determine the version of OpenGL/GLU on my solaris box? On 16 Mar 2005 11:36:59 -0800 "rpond" <novahokie@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I determine the version of OpenGL/GLU on my solaris box? > pkginfo -l SUNWglrt -- Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus I have seen things you lusers would not believe. I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab. I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate. All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week. Time to die. rpond wrote: > How do I det...

Looking for a vertex blending OpenGL ES sample
Hello, I'm looking for a sample that shows how to handle vertex blending in OpenGL ES ? Thanks ...