f



32 bit TGA?

simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.

Does anyone know?

Be Well
0
Brewmeister
9/1/2005 12:57:18 AM
comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3542 articles. 0 followers. stuseven (66) is leader. Post Follow

10 Replies
1085 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 3

Brewmeister wrote:
> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
> 
> Does anyone know?
> 
> Be Well
Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
0
Brewmeister
9/1/2005 12:58:11 AM
Brewmeister wrote:
> Brewmeister wrote:
> 
>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Be Well
> 
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

Not vanilla Gimp, but you can use it's ugly son cinepaint.

Visit www.cinepaint.org

Cinepaint split of Gimp a few years back, and specifically added on 
support for 16 and 32 bit images that Gimp (still, but hopefully not for 
long) lacks. However, cinepaint doesn't have the new features that Gimp has.

Joal
0
Joal
9/1/2005 4:45:45 AM
Joal Heagney wrote:
> Brewmeister wrote:
> 
>> Brewmeister wrote:
>>
>>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know?
>>>
>>> Be Well
>>
>>
>> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
> 
> 
> Not vanilla Gimp, but you can use it's ugly son cinepaint.
> 
> Visit www.cinepaint.org
> 
> Cinepaint split of Gimp a few years back, and specifically added on 
> support for 16 and 32 bit images that Gimp (still, but hopefully not for 
> long) lacks. However, cinepaint doesn't have the new features that Gimp 
> has.
> 
> Joal


Joal, thanks.  I'll check out cinepaint.

I'm trying to use the Gimp to convert images to 32 bit TGA for APCD 
(Arnold Palmer Course Designer), which allows me to build golf courses 
for play in MS Links golf game.

Strange thing is, some of the images I save from gimp will import into 
APCD, and some will not. From what I've read, Gimp only supports 8-bit,
so now I'm confused as to why any of the images are importing?????

The error I get on the ones that won't import is: "..not a 32 bit image."

any thoughts?
0
Brewmeister
9/1/2005 1:45:48 PM
Brewmeister wrote:
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

There's a TGA plug-in at http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=237
0
Simon
9/1/2005 2:11:12 PM
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:58:11 -0400, Brewmeister wrote:

> Brewmeister wrote:
>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>> 
>> Does anyone know?
>> 
>> Be Well
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
My version cannot yet but I keep hoping.
-- 
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email
0
Neil
9/1/2005 4:12:48 PM
Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:

> Brewmeister wrote:
> > simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
> > Does anyone know?

> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga


HTH,
Michael

-- 
The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org | 
0
Michael
9/1/2005 6:39:56 PM
Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:
> 
> 
>>Brewmeister wrote:
>>
>>>simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>Does anyone know?
> 
> 
>>Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
> 
> 
> 32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
> 
> 
> HTH,
> Michael
> 
Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32 
bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then 
GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per 
channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).

Joal

*goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
0
Joal
9/2/2005 7:49:25 AM
"Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
news:9uTRe.19931$FA3.17918@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Michael Schumacher wrote:
> > Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:
> >
> >
> >>Brewmeister wrote:
> >>
> >>>simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
> >>>Does anyone know?
> >
> >
> >>Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
> >
> >
> > 32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
> >
> >
> > HTH,
> > Michael
> >
> Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
> bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
> GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
> channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>
> Joal
>
> *goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*

Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.

"The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.

Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.

PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))





0
RSD99
9/2/2005 4:12:28 PM
RSD99 wrote:
> "Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:9uTRe.19931$FA3.17918@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> 
>>Michael Schumacher wrote:
>>
>>>Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Brewmeister wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>>>Does anyone know?
>>>
>>>
>>>>Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
>>>
>>>
>>>32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
>>>
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>Michael
>>>
>>
>>Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
>>bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
>>GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
>>channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>>
>>Joal
>>
>>*goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
> 
> 
> Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.
> 
> "The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.
> 
> Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.

*pokes out his tongue* It CAN do 32-bits per channel. Do a "Find In This 
Page" for 32-bit on any of these web pages:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10739
http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/FeatureMatrix
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/29/cinepaint.html


*sighs* I just wish we could get it's features into the vanilla Gimp. Oh 
well, GEGL is coming they say.
 >
 > PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))

And I'll have you know, it's actually a teddy-bear wif' one eye, so there!

Joal


0
Joal
9/3/2005 12:28:01 PM
Joal Heagney wrote:
> RSD99 wrote:
> 
>> "Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> news:9uTRe.19931$FA3.17918@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>>> Michael Schumacher wrote:
>>>
>>>> Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Brewmeister wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>>>> Does anyone know?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> HTH,
>>>> Michael
>>>>
>>>
>>> Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
>>> bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
>>> GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
>>> channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>>>
>>> Joal
>>>
>>> *goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
>>
>>
>>
>> Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.
>>
>> "The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.
>>
>> Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.
> 
> 
> *pokes out his tongue* It CAN do 32-bits per channel. Do a "Find In This 
> Page" for 32-bit on any of these web pages:
> 
> http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10739
> http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/FeatureMatrix
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/29/cinepaint.html
> 
> 
> *sighs* I just wish we could get it's features into the vanilla Gimp. Oh 
> well, GEGL is coming they say.
>  >
>  > PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))
> 
> And I'll have you know, it's actually a teddy-bear wif' one eye, so there!
> 
> Joal
> 
> 



Thanks everyone!

That explains why some of the images were working, and others weren't. 
(no alpha channel = 24 bits).

Be Well
0
Brewmeister
9/12/2005 8:43:35 PM
Reply: