32 bit TGA?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.

Does anyone know?

Be Well
0
Reply Brewmeister 9/1/2005 12:57:18 AM

See related articles to this posting

Brewmeister wrote:
> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Be Well
Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
0
Reply Brewmeister 9/1/2005 12:58:11 AM

Brewmeister wrote:
> Brewmeister wrote:
>
>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Be Well
>
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

Not vanilla Gimp, but you can use it's ugly son cinepaint.

Visit www.cinepaint.org

Cinepaint split of Gimp a few years back, and specifically added on
support for 16 and 32 bit images that Gimp (still, but hopefully not for
long) lacks. However, cinepaint doesn't have the new features that Gimp has.

Joal
0
Reply Joal 9/1/2005 4:45:45 AM

Joal Heagney wrote:
> Brewmeister wrote:
>
>> Brewmeister wrote:
>>
>>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know?
>>>
>>> Be Well
>>

>> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
>

> Not vanilla Gimp, but you can use it's ugly son cinepaint.
>
> Visit www.cinepaint.org
>
> Cinepaint split of Gimp a few years back, and specifically added on
> support for 16 and 32 bit images that Gimp (still, but hopefully not for
> long) lacks. However, cinepaint doesn't have the new features that Gimp
> has.
>
> Joal

Joal, thanks.  I'll check out cinepaint.

I'm trying to use the Gimp to convert images to 32 bit TGA for APCD
(Arnold Palmer Course Designer), which allows me to build golf courses
for play in MS Links golf game.

Strange thing is, some of the images I save from gimp will import into
APCD, and some will not. From what I've read, Gimp only supports 8-bit,
so now I'm confused as to why any of the images are importing?????

The error I get on the ones that won't import is: "..not a 32 bit image."

any thoughts?
0
Reply Brewmeister 9/1/2005 1:45:48 PM

Brewmeister wrote:
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

There's a TGA plug-in at http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=237
0
Reply Simon 9/1/2005 2:11:12 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:58:11 -0400, Brewmeister wrote:

> Brewmeister wrote:
>> simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> Be Well
> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
My version cannot yet but I keep hoping.
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:

> Brewmeister wrote:
> > simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
> > Does anyone know?

> Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?

32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga

HTH,
Michael

--
The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de

Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:
>

>>Brewmeister wrote:
>>
>>>simple question. I just can't seam to find an answer anywhere.
>>>Does anyone know?
>

>>Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
>

> 32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
>

> HTH,
> Michael

Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).

Joal

*goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
0
Reply Joal 9/2/2005 7:49:25 AM

"Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Michael Schumacher wrote:
> > Brewmeister <bridge161@comcast.net> writes:

> >>Suppose I should have specified:  Can Gimp save a 32bit TGA?
> >

> > 32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
> >

> > HTH,
> > Michael
> >
> Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
> bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
> GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
> channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>
> Joal
>
> *goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*

Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.

"The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.

Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.

PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))

0
Reply RSD99 9/2/2005 4:12:28 PM

RSD99 wrote:
> "Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>
>>Michael Schumacher wrote:

>>>32 Bit TGA = RGBA images? Then just save (as) .tga
>>>

>>>HTH,
>>>Michael
>>>

>>Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
>>bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
>>GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
>>channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>>
>>Joal
>>
>>*goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
>

> Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.
>
> "The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.
>
> Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.

*pokes out his tongue* It CAN do 32-bits per channel. Do a "Find In This
Page" for 32-bit on any of these web pages:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10739
http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/FeatureMatrix
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/29/cinepaint.html

*sighs* I just wish we could get it's features into the vanilla Gimp. Oh
well, GEGL is coming they say.

 > PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))

And I'll have you know, it's actually a teddy-bear wif' one eye, so there!

Joal

0
Reply Joal 9/3/2005 12:28:01 PM

Joal Heagney wrote:
> RSD99 wrote:
>
>> "Joal Heagney" <jhe13586@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

>>> Whoops. Okay Brewmeister, we need to clarify if you're talking about 32
>>> bit for the whole image, or 32-bit per channel. If it's the first, then
>>> GIMP can save it directly. You'll only need cinepaint if it's 32-bit per
>>> channel (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha).
>>>
>>> Joal
>>>
>>> *goes to hide under the sofa in embarrassment*
>>

>> Neither "The GIMP" or Cinepaint works in 32-bits per channel.
>>
>> "The GIMP" is 8-bits per channel.
>>
>> Cinepaint is either 8-bits or 16-bits per channel.
>

> *pokes out his tongue* It CAN do 32-bits per channel. Do a "Find In This
> Page" for 32-bit on any of these web pages:
>
> http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10739
> http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/FeatureMatrix
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/29/cinepaint.html
>

> *sighs* I just wish we could get it's features into the vanilla Gimp. Oh
> well, GEGL is coming they say.
>  >
>  > PS - Better take your "blankie" with you under that sofa!  ;-))
>
> And I'll have you know, it's actually a teddy-bear wif' one eye, so there!
>
> Joal

Thanks everyone!

That explains why some of the images were working, and others weren't.
(no alpha channel = 24 bits).

Be Well
0
Reply Brewmeister 9/12/2005 8:43:35 PM
comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3492 articles. 3 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to encode a 32-bit TGA file ?
Hi together, I am just trying to encode a 32 bit TGA file, which uses the alpha channel. The Problem is: JIMI is able to generate a 32 bit TGA file, but it is not able to read it. Has anyone an idea how i can realise that ? Thx a lot, Regards, Stefan "Pixelschubser" <pcalien@gmx.de> wrote in message news:1164881965.164396.63400@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... > Hi together, > > I am just trying to encode a 32 bit TGA file, which uses the alpha > channel. The Problem is: > JIMI is able to generate a 32 bit TGA file, but it is not able to read > it. > &...

save a TGA file 32 bits with alpha channel in CS1 and CS2 ?
Hello everybody, I am an usual user of Photoshop 7, I am testing the tryout version of photoshop CS2 and each time I save an image in TGA format (32 bits) the alpha channel is not saved. Any idea which setting I have to use to save correctly the alpha channel ? Thanks for any help Kind Regards SG solution found copy plugin targa.8bi from photoshop 7 (under 7.0.1 version !!!) to photoshop CS2 plugin directory file format. don't use the downloadble plugin it has the trouble. SG "news.skynet.be" <sg@sg.sg> a �crit dans le message de news: 42e3f695$0$2288$ba620...

shifting bits, shift 32 bits on 32 bit int
Noticed something odd in the way bit shifting was working today. As far as I have ever heard, shifting will shift in zeros(signed ints aside) However I foudn something odd when I am shifting exactly the number of bits in a value... i.e. uint32_t x = 5; uint32_t y = x << 32; uint32_t z = x << 32; In the above example y and z are both still 5. Why is this? Now I understand doing a shift like this seems silly, but in this code sometimes the resulting shift validly turns out to be exactly the number of bits in that data type, and expects the result to be 0. I can change the c...

Windows 7 64 bit
My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? The 64bits or the 32bits version? And if 64, can FM communicate via the 64bits driver with MySQL? Or should I better downgrade W7 to 32bits? Harry <a@b.c> wrote: > My server works under Windows 7 Professional 64 bits, my FileMaker > Pro10 Advanced is 32 bits. > FM has to connect to a MySQL-database, which driver should I use? > The 64bits or the 32bits version? I never used Filemaker. And I try to sta...

32-bit Number * 32-bit Number = 64-bit result
I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer multiplication. That is, one 32-bit number times another 32-bit number equals the least significant 32-bits of the 64-bit result. In theory, I could mimic that behavior like so: (x * x) & 0xFFFFFFFF But this doesn't work quite right because the initial multiplication can produce such a large result that JavaScript looses some precision. Any thoughts? Ideas? "Jeff.M" <Mott.Jeff@gmail.com> writes: > I need to do multiplication that mirrors how C handles integer > multiplication. That is, one 32-bit...

32-Bit Matlab, 32-bit WinXP, 32 GB RAM
I am planning to install Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack 2 on a new Intel dual quad-core machine with 32 GB RAM. Knowing WinXP w/SP2 can only address up to 4 GB physical RAM, what is Matlab 2007a's (32-bit) capability of addressing more RAM via Microsoft's /pae option at boot time? I'm trying to help negate the remaining 28 GB RAM from going to waste. Thanks. Scott "Scott " <scotte@ll.mit.edu> wrote in message <fi43ta$neq$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I am planning to install Windows XP 32-bit with Service Pack > 2 on a new Intel dual quad-core ...

Are there different classes of 32-bit color, perhaps "real 32-bit" and "faked/faux 32-bit"?
I am working on a 16x16 icon for the Windows XP system tray area (in the lower right corner) and I noticed that if the artist sends me a *.ico in 32-bit color: - MS Visual Studio complains that it cannot *edit* 32-bit color (which is fine, and reassuring) but most importantly: - The icon looks much nicer (*) than if I use 24-bit color. The doubt that I have is about IrfanView: it claims that the file in question is only 24-bit color. Is there anything about 32-bit color I should know? TIA, -Ramon (*) The staircase lines are gone: it looks like the extra depth info is used to render ...

32-bit 32-bit multiplication in C64x
Hi, I was trying to get a 32*32=64 bit multiplication in C64x. It seems that there is no MPYID instruction as supported in C67x. What will be the easiest of going about it in assembly for 64x? Please do help.... Thanks in advance.... -- Jag. Jag-- > I was trying to get a 32*32=64 bit multiplication in C64x. It seems >that there is no MPYID instruction as supported in C67x. What will be >the easiest of going about it in assembly for 64x? > >Please do help.... You did not tell us if you are looking at integer multiplication or fixe point multiplication capabilities. Thi...

32 bit ints 32 bit aligned?
I suspect this has been asked many times but I can't find a reference to it ... &nbsp; Does the CVI compiler necessarily align 32 bit ints such that a read/write is known to be atomic? &nbsp; I realize there are issues for ints within structs, I'm interested in simple (non-agregate) int declarations. &nbsp; I.e.&nbsp; Do I need to use SDK interlocked increment / decrement to guarantee atomicity on read / write of a 32 bit int on an x86 machine? &nbsp; Thanks. &nbsp; Hayes ...

32 bit ints are 32 bit aligned?
Sorry, wrong discussion board ... Message Edited by menchar on 03-22-2006 08:07 PMMessage Edited by menchar on 03-22-2006 08:08 PM ...

32 bit Matlab install on 64 bit linux -- missing 32 bit libXp.so.6 library?
I'm trying to install 32 bit Matlab on 64 bit linux I have seen the Technical Solution <http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-O7POO.html?1-O7POO> and some notes for fixing this problem on Fedora <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-106502.html> However, I'm running Ubuntu 2.6.12-9-amd64-generic, and neither of these takes me all the way to a solution. I'm at the point where I can run the installer with the following: root@lanczos:/usr/local/matlab71_sv# /usr/local/install/install_unix.sh -glnx86 -t -nocp /usr/local/install/unix/install...

Matlab 64 vs 32 bit benchmarking results (on Win XP 64 bit vs Win XP 32 bit SP2)
Recently I installed a new PC with dual boot, win XP 32 bit and win XP 64 bit. On the 32 bit OS I run 32 bit matlab, on the 64 bit OS I run 64 bit matlab. MATLAB Version 7.3.0.267 (R2006b) Intel core 2 duo 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS I benchmarked the systems in 2 ways (average over multiple runs): 1) with a benchmark from the file exchange MATLAB Central > File Exchange > Utilities > Miscellaneous > Benchmark http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=11984&objectType=file 2) With my own benchmark (training of neural netwo...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? adar <adar_ji@yahoo.com> ...

Size 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit systems. #2
I need to find out what is the size of following data structures in 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, and 64 bit systems. struct findsize{ unsigned char chA; unsigned long lg; unsigned short sh; unsigned char chB; }; sizeof() runs at compile time, that means one can know in advance what size of these. I don't have 8 bit or 16 bit systems. I do have 32 bit and 64 bit system. I believe, in 32 bit system, this would be 1+4+2+1 = 8 bytes. Can anyone throw some light here on how to find size? On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:34:56 -0...

64-bit and 128 bit integer as a combination of 32-bits
Hi all, How to program 64-bit and 128-bit integers as a combination of 32bits. I need this string to integer conversion. Thank you On Aug 2, 10:51=A0am, xyz <lavanyaredd...@gmail.com> wrote: > > How to program 64-bit and 128-bit integers as a combination of 32bits. > I need this string to integer conversion. > It's easiest in assembler. Instruction sets for 32-bit microprocessors have the ability to access the carry when two numbers are added, or to take the high 32 bits from a multiplication. It's more difficult to achieve this in C. The easiest way ...

Which Is Better To Use 8 Bits, 16 Bits, or 32 Bits?
Flat model provides a full 32 Bits Mode that it allows me to choose 8 Bits or 32 Bits like MOV AL, 041H and MOV EAX, 041424344H. My question is: do 8 Bits and 32 Bits have the same speed of transfeering data from memory into register. If I want to use 16 Bits, I must add 066H prefix to select 16 Bits instead of 32 Bits like 066H MOV AX, 04142H. Do you think that 16 Bits is slower than both 8 Bits and 32 Bits because of extra one byte such as 066H prefix. Is it the best practice to use 32 Bits register to copy 8 Bits data or 16 Bits data like MOV EAX, Memory? If I always use AND EAX...

32 bit or 64 bit Oracle on 64 bit OS?
Hello, Currently our environment is on 10g Release 2, OS windows 2000/2003 standard edition 32 bit. We use shared server to take advantage of scalability and connecting maximum no of simultaneous connections to the database. Now we take advantage of memory beyond 4GB we are planning to check following. 64 bit Windows 2003 standard edition on AMD64/EM64T Servers. Do we need to install 64 bit Oracle as well? Do we need to reinstall Oracle clients with 64 bit installable if Oracle Server is upgraded to 64 bit? Is 32 bit Oracle is certified on 64 bit OS? Do we need to take care of any other ...

Installation problem: Python 2.6.6 (32-Bit) on Windows 7 (32-Bit)
Has anyone else had problems running the msi for Python 2.6.6 on Windows 7 Professional? If I don't check "Compile .py to byte code", the installer completes without error. Checking "Compile .py to byte code" causes the following to be displayed "There is a problem with the windows installer package. A program run as part of setup did not complete as expected" 1. I have GB of disk space available. 2. I have admin privileges 3. The MD5 checksum of the downloaded installer matches the MD5 checksum on python.org 4. Run As Adminsitrator is not ...

16 bit to 32 bit
Hello, Under Windows XP, I run a simple pwd.exe in cmd, the error message looks like this: 16 bit MS-DOC Subsystemm, The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOC and Microsoft Windows applications. NOt sure how to convert cmd from 16 bit to 32 bit to run the pwd.exe etc djgpp compiled program? one2001boy@yahoo.com <one2001boy@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, > Under Windows XP, I run a simple pwd.exe in cmd, > the error message looks like this: Please report the *exact* error message. "Looks like" isn't good enough. > 16 bit MS-DOC Subsystemm, The sys...

32-bit or 64-bit
How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve the information by using uname -a Thanks. blackdog wrote: > How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve > the information by > using uname -a How about "isainfo -v"? - Logan On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, blackdog wrote: > How to check my Sun Solaris is 32-bit or 64-bit. I could not retrieve As a rule of thumb, if you're running on 64-bit capable HW, you'll be running the 64-bit kernel. WHen in doubt, isainfo -b will confirm one way or another. HTH, -- Rich Teer, SCN...

32-bit or 64-bit
hi, i have two questions: 1) how do i know my processor is 32-bit or 64-bit? 2) Which version of aix (32-bit or 64-bit) running on my system? is there a command equalent of isainfo on solaris? Thanking you, regards, kiran hi, KIRAN MN wrote: > hi, > > i have two questions: > > 1) how do i know my processor is 32-bit or 64-bit? lsconf bootinfo -y (not sure about is this is proc or kernel) lsattr -El proc0 > 2) Which version of aix (32-bit or 64-bit) running on my system? ls -la / unix -> /usr/lib/boot/unix_64 --> means 64 Bit-Kernel > > is ...

64-bit with 32-bit
This may be off topic I have Access 2010 32-bit installed on a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I am writing a dot net add-on for SolidWorks EPDM that will get data from a MDB. It requires the 64-bit "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 driver which is available from the download site. The installer requires that all Office 32-bit applications be uninstalled before installing the 64-bit driver. Will I be able to re-install the 32-bit version of Access? If so will the 2 version behave? ...

D2007: Typecasting 32 bit integer/longword to 32 bit single floating point not possible ?!?
Hello, Currently I want to experiment with moving memory values/integers/longwords onto the gpu. Since the gpu works with floating points only, I was wondering if it might be possible to simply "stuff" the integer/longwords into the gpu floating point variables/memory cells and see what happens... I was hoping for "bitpattern perfect" copies. I now realize this is pretty much a pipe dream since floating point format works totally different to integer format... so "stuffing integers" via memory copy into "floating points" probably ma...

64 bit or 32 bit
How can I verify if the RHEL 3 AS on Xeon EM64T processors is running as 64 bit or 32 bit operating system. Thanks, Yasaswi In article <aa862233.0411291159.1ddd2a7b@posting.google.com>, yasaswi@encfor.com (Yasaswi Pulavarti) wrote: >How can I verify if the RHEL 3 AS on Xeon EM64T processors is running >as 64 bit or 32 bit operating system. printf("%d\n", sizeof(void *)); Lawrence D�Oliveiro wrote: > printf("%d\n", sizeof(void *)); Hmmm, maybe I'm missing something (because I know my AMD64 machine IS running a 64bit kernel): 64bit-test.c: #include...