Can somone help a Windows geek get a Mac to print to a USB printer on a print server???

I'm trying to help my sister and brother-in-law with their mixed marriage!
They had a nice Windows home, pc's networked together and he decided he
wanted to kill the home PC, get a MAC and have the two of them roam the
house in cyber bliss.  The problem is the printer - a HP PSC 2210
All-In-One.  Since the desktop was PC was removed, I put in a D-Link DP-301U
network USB print server.  The Windows PC can print fine.  The MacBook pro
running OS X 10.4.11 can't.  Despite the statements that MAS OS is supported
all over the D-Link box, I can't get any support from D-Link.

I have been steered to GutenPrint.  The PSC 2210 is on their list of
supported printers but after installing the GutenPrint app on the Mac and
trying to setup the printer, there is no PSC 2210 in the printer list
(native or with the GutenPrint driver).  I've tried several alternatives but
it won't print.  The Status in the print queue window on the Mac says
"Network host '<IP address of D-Link> is busy; will retry in 30 seconds."

The Mac forum users told me to set the IP Printer queue name to the USB port
name on the D-link control panel (PSC2210) but that didn't work, not did lp,
lp1, lpt1 or u1.

The Mac does print fine to the HP if we walk in and hook up the USB cable.

Can anyone help?  Is it really this hard to print from a Mac???

TIA

Charlie in CT

0
Balroc
2/25/2008 8:46:14 PM
comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3543 articles. 0 followers. stuseven (66) is leader. Post Follow

Balroc wrote:
> I'm trying to help my sister and brother-in-law with their mixed
> marriage! They had a nice Windows home, pc's networked together and he
> decided he wanted to kill the home PC, get a MAC and have the two of
> them roam the house in cyber bliss.  The problem is the printer - a HP
> PSC 2210 All-In-One.  Since the desktop was PC was removed, I put in a
> D-Link DP-301U network USB print server.  The Windows PC can print
> fine.  The MacBook pro running OS X 10.4.11 can't.  Despite the
> statements that MAS OS is supported all over the D-Link box, I can't get
> any support from D-Link.
>
> I have been steered to GutenPrint.  The PSC 2210 is on their list of
> supported printers but after installing the GutenPrint app on the Mac
> and trying to setup the printer, there is no PSC 2210 in the printer
> list (native or with the GutenPrint driver).  I've tried several
> alternatives but it won't print.  The Status in the print queue window
> on the Mac says "Network host '<IP address of D-Link> is busy; will
> retry in 30 seconds."
>
> The Mac forum users told me to set the IP Printer queue name to the USB
> port name on the D-link control panel (PSC2210) but that didn't work,
> not did lp, lp1, lpt1 or u1.
>
> The Mac does print fine to the HP if we walk in and hook up the USB cable.
>
> Can anyone help?  Is it really this hard to print from a Mac???
>
> TIA
>
> Charlie in CT

I don't know much of anything about Macs, but I do know a guy who does,
and I'm sure he'd be glad to help. You can find his contact information
at his website: http://www.technofileonline.com/

Tell him TJ sent you. It won't help any, but it probably won't hurt,
either. ;-)

TJ
0
TJ