Getting rid of camera flash/reflection/glare using PS/Gimp? (not redeye)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).

Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gaiko

1
Reply gaikokujinkyofusho (52) 2/8/2005 6:34:48 AM

See related articles to this posting

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>
> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Gaiko

Do you have an example or 2 you could share with us, Gaiko. Depending on
what the glare is appearing on would determine the method of reducing
and/or removing it. Glare on a face, for example, could be removed by
careful cloning from good areas of skin using a high transparency for
the clone tool. Or filling the area with a high transparency and then
adding a little "noise". The list goes on and on, depending on the
subject which method you might use.
If you can supply an image, I am happy to correct it to the best of my
ability and then tell you step by step how I went about it.

Brian.
0
Reply Brian 2/8/2005 7:26:34 AM

Brian wrote:
> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>
>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> -Gaiko

If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
do is the following:

1. Select by colour the glare area.
2. Feather selection.
3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.

Joal.
0
Reply Joal 2/27/2005 1:23:31 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> -Gaiko
>
>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>do is the following:
>
>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>2. Feather selection.
>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
>Joal.

If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
white... that will not help.
0
Reply no_email 2/27/2005 6:51:35 PM

Joal Heagney wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> -Gaiko
>

> If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> do is the following:
>
> 1. Select by colour the glare area.
> 2. Feather selection.
> 3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
> Joal.

I use the Patch Tool. Well, most of the time.

Clyde
0
Reply Clyde 2/27/2005 7:29:03 PM

ZONED! wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>

>>Brian wrote:

>>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>>do is the following:
>>
>>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>>2. Feather selection.
>>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>>
>>Joal.
>

> If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
> white... that will not help.

Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
pseudo-information. *grins*

Joal
0
Reply Joal 2/27/2005 8:52:48 PM

Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> >>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> >>do is the following:
> >>
> >>1. Select by colour the glare area.
> >>2. Feather selection.
> >>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
> >>
> >>Joal.
> >

> > If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
> > white... that will not help.
>
> Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
> tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
> scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
> deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
> selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
> pseudo-information. *grins*

You forget to mention one thing. When used in the normal way, Curves
does not lower the value of pure white. You need to drag the upper right
top of the curve downwards, something many people wouldn't realize. You
can also use Levels and drag the LOWEST right slider (the one underneath
that gradient) to the left. It still won't be very pretty though, all
you do is make white a little bit grey.

--
Johan W. Elzenga            johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer      http://www.johanfoto.nl/

Clone tool is the way to go if you want to avoid boundary conditions. Charge
extra for this stuff while you can; the photography talent out there is
getting worse every day and pretty soon some bright person will come up with
a tragic, half-assed "bloom eliminator" or something like that that the
market will think is just wonderfull. It won't be, but they will be happy.

0
Reply jjs 2/27/2005 9:55:02 PM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:52:48 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>ZONED! wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
>> wrote:

>>>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>>>do is the following:
>>>
>>>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>>>2. Feather selection.
>>>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>>>
>>>Joal.
>>

>> If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
>> white... that will not help.
>
>Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
>tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
>scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
>deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
>selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
>pseudo-information. *grins*
>
>Joal
It looks like crap to me *s*
0
Reply no_email 2/27/2005 10:52:19 PM

ZONED! wrote:

> It looks like crap to me *s*

Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.

Joal
0
Reply Joal 2/28/2005 7:54:11 AM

Joal Heagney wrote:
> ZONED! wrote:
>
>> It looks like crap to me *s*
>

> Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.
>
> Joal

Well, I made an offer to Gaiko right at the start of this thread, that
if he/she sent me a pic as an example, I would fix it up and explain how
I went about it. I guess some people don't really want help at all.

Brian.
0
Reply Brian 2/28/2005 8:09:15 AM

As others have pointed out, you'll struggle to get an acceptable result if
the areas are completely blown. But one method I find useful if there is at
least SOME detail is to create a new layer and use the Clone (or sometimes
Healing) brush set in DARKEN mode. You can then adjust the opacity of the
layer until you get something you are happy(ish) with.

"Joal Heagney" <joal@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
> > gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
> >> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
> >> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
> >> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
> >>
> >> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
> >> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
> >>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >>
> >> -Gaiko
>
> If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> do is the following:
>
> 1. Select by colour the glare area.
> 2. Feather selection.
> 3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
> Joal.

0
Reply embee 2/28/2005 3:00:08 PM
comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3493 articles. 3 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

PS CS camera raw, getting full camera EXIF data from raw file into jpeg
I use camera raw and edit my Canon raw images in CS. When the result is saved as JPG file, the embedded EXIF contains only PhotoShop's meta data, basically software name, and editing date and time. The original camera EXIF data is not included in the resulting JPG file. I have tried setting and unsetting several options but cannot make PhotoShop to include camera's original EXIF data into the resulting JPG file. Which options do you set in CS to include camera's original EXIF data into JPG file when using camera raw? Hitchkas <hitchkas@gmail.com> wrote: > I use came...

"Millions of websites use flash. (If you're on an iPad,) Get used to the blue Legos."
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/02/18/steve-jobs-blasts-flash-dying-technology/ In a recent visit to the Wall Street Journal's headquarters, Steve Jobs lambasted Adobe's Flash as he tried to sell WSJ executives on moving away from the technology. On top of his recent complaints that Flash would kill battery life, reports suggest that Jobs also, "called Flash a 'CPU hog,' a source of 'security holes' and, in perhaps the most grievous insult an famous innovator can utter, a dying technology. 'We don't spend a lot of energy on old technology...

Using Reflection to get all Classes?
Hallo, I'm currently writing a Java-Application that is supposed to offer a sort of Class Browser (similar to the Smalltalk Class Browser). I understood the necessarity of Reflections. It's easy to get a Class with a known name (like: Class c = Class.forName(knownName);) But I would like to create a Class Browser that shows all classes that are available in the system. Is this possible? If it is, how? Thank you very much in advance! Julian Wissel julianwissel@gmx.de (Julian) writes: > But I would like to create a Class Browser that shows all classes that > are available in ...

How to get camera images using OpenCV?
Hello For an Image Processing Project I'm combining Matlab with OpenCV using MEX-files (because of the speedup). Since in Mac OS X there is no Data Acquisition Toolbox available and OpenCV offers a quite well camera library, it seems obvious to me to use also OpenCV in Matlab for capturing the images in real-time. But the question for me is how should I do this?! After some search in the Internet, I guess I have two possibilities: a) using 'calllib' and 'libpointer' similar as shown at: http://blog.cordiner.net/?p=230 b) writing mexFunction(s). Preferably I wou...

how to use get rid of the for....end function
Hello everybody: I am a quite new learner in Matlab. now i have some problems while i am doing the follow calculations: for i = 1 : 127 dd = F > i-1; capacity = i * sum(dd); total= total + capacity; end i supposed to get the final value of "total", where F is a sparse matrix with the size 15172*15172, then i use function sum to get the value capacity. it did work, however, i wanna make my coding more effective, which means, i want to use other functions instead of using the for...end loops..do any one have some suggestions. in fact, i want to get different matrix d...

Another reason to get rid of Flash...
....and seriously, trolls: even you should step back a moment and actually read this: 'Recent news stories (based on research by Stanford student Feross Aboukhadijeh) state that an Adobe bug made it possible for remote sites to turn on a viewer's camera and microphone. That sounds bad enough, but that's not the really disturbing part. Consider this text from the Register article: Adobe said on Thursday it was planning to fix the vulnerability, which stems from flaws in the Flash Player Settings Manager. The panel, which is used to designate which sites may acces...

How can I get rid of reflection during scan?
I haven't been using Silverfast very long, and am just starting to scan some very old photos (very slightly warped). When I scan them (48 bit color, 300 or 600 dpi) with no adjustments to settings other than selecting the end points of the histogram for light/dark, what I see is an effect in part of the scans that looks like I look a photo with a camera with the flash on and there is the reflection of the flash bouncing back. The photos are extremely fragile, and I'm not sure if I can compensate for this with the settings, or if the only fix is putting additional weight on...

getting rid of a white flash while applet is loading
hello- I've looked through the archives, searched the web, and been working on this all week- any ideas how to get rid of the white flash that occurs (in ie) as an applet is loading? I've tried to hide the applet container: first by hiding the div (it did not work, merely delayed the white flash--hai tried the same approach with the same results) second by covering it up with a floating div -- this time, the applet did not display at all; there was just a black screen where the applet should have been. one thought is that when I set the image param of the ap...

How to get rid of copies when using emacs with CVS?
Hello, if I use Emacs on a CVS sandbox, then Emacs creates some "filename.ext.~version~ files. Why does Emacs create this files? How can I disable this? Thank you very much in advance CU Manuel Manuel Reimer <mreimer@despammed.com> writes: > if I use Emacs on a CVS sandbox, then Emacs creates some > "filename.ext.~version~ files. Why does Emacs create this files? How > can I disable this? Emacs create a local backup of the cvs controlled file when it's first modified, so that you can compare the file to the repository version (`C-x v ='), or revert to...

Using tabs and getting rid of staggered lines
Hi all, I wrote the following code to do calculations and present the results in a Java applet. But, I want to use "\t" to set the columns, and I want to correct the lines that stagger when drawn. Are there any suggestions? TIA geeksatlarge /*TableOfValues.java *Use a loop to print a table of values */ // import needed classes import java.awt.Graphics; import javax.swing.JApplet; public class TableOfValues extends JApplet { int num = 1; int y = 40; // draw text on applet's background public void paint( Graphics g ) { // call superclass version...

Problems upgrading GIMP using pkg-get
Hello everyone, I've just tried to upgrade from GIMP 1.2 to GIMP 2.0 using pkg-get and blastwave.org. Having installed it, I cannot get it to run. I ran the command "truss /opt/csw/bin/gimp-2.0" to find a string of ENOENT errors. The first error seemed to originate from a missing part of the libpango package, so I uninstalled and reinstalled this. This didn't cure the problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled GIMP. Having reinstalled there are still many errors, to the extent that the truss output now exceeds the length of the command line buffer and I can't tell ...

Thunderbird. How Do I Get Rid Of Spam Using Keywords?
I get lots of spam from porn sites. I want to set up a filter in Thunderbird 1.5 beta so it will trash emails with certain key words. I'm sure you can imagine what they are. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it? Thanks for your help, Earl Williams, Surrey, British Columbia ...

Get rid of image border using saveas...
Dear All, Whenever I use saveas command to save a figure, I always get a very thick white border surrounding the image. I was wondering if there is any way to get rid of those white borders. Thanks a lot, Peichung Peichung Shih wrote: > Dear All, > > Whenever I use saveas command to save a figure, I always get a very > thick white border surrounding the image. I was wondering if there is > any way to get rid of those white borders. Adjust the size of your axis. That white border is what the grey region of the figure outside the axes becomes when the figure...

what video camera to get for use with new MBP
I want to get a video camera for use with my Macbook Pro. I want to use it for surreptitious recording of people at coffee shops and other public places, web conferencing and time-lapse studies. It should be as small and unobtrusive as possible, with a high quality image. It would be nice if it had some zoom capabilities in addition to focussing. It would be nice if the controls were done in an application rather than by manipulating the camera itself (i realize this may be asking too much). I guess it could be firewire or usb2 Some sort of gooseneck apparatus would be nice but i'll ...

How to get rid of duplicates without using any group?
I have a dataset as below: serial description ---------------------- 10001 yes no may be 10001 he she them 1002 yes no may be 1002 he she them How can I get rid of additions duplicate values for the same serial? I need only one serial number ( can not do grouping it messes uo the order) as below serial description ---------------------- 10001 yes no may be he she them 1002 yes no may be he ...

How to get rid of phase shift using FFT
Hello, I'm trying to allign two waveforms together (input and output), but there is a phase shift. I've heard that it's possible to get rid of the phase shift by using FFT? But I'm not too familiar with this. CAn someone please help? PO wrote: > Hello, I'm trying to allign two waveforms together (input and > output), but there is a phase shift. I've heard that it's possible to > get rid of the phase shift by using FFT? But I'm not too familiar > with this. CAn someone please help? Are the waveforms identical except for a time shift? In other words...

Yet another reason to get rid of Flash...
'A well-known vulnerability in Adobe's Flash player that could allow malicious users to steal browser data — including cookies — on Macs, PCs, and Linux machines has been exploited for the first time, prompting Adobe to issue a patch and urge users to upgrade their system as soon as possible.' <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/09/flash-flaw-could-allow-attackers-to-steal-browser-data-on-macs-adobe-issues-fix> On 2014-07-09 1:16 PM, Alan Baker wrote: > 'A well-known vulnerability in Adobe's Flash player that could allow > malicious users...

Help Me Get Rid Of The Flashing Exclamation Point Icon
I'm running Fedora Core 4 Linux on an old IBM NetVista, no problems other than the annoying flashing exclamation point icon on my toolbar for the Red Hat Network Alert Notification. I update the core and the installed packages using yum about once a week or so, but I cannot get rid of the alert icon. A right click on the icon and selecting "Exit" or "Configuration --> Forward --> Remove From Panel" gets rid of it for the current session, but when the machine is rebooted, it returns. No great tragedy if it cannot be removed, but if it can, I want to. Thanks...

Re: How to get rid of duplicates without using any group?
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:52:04 -0400, Tom Smith <need_sas_help@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >I have a dataset as below: > >serial description >---------------------- >10001 yes > no > may be >10001 he > she > them >1002 yes > no > may be >1002 he > she > them > >How can I get rid of additions duplicate values for the same serial? >I need only one serial number ( can not do grouping it messes uo the order) >as below > >serial description &g...

uk query
Can anyone help me here? Not being able to afford a computer with a film scanner and PS, I've always had to rely on public facilities (very expensive if it's at art centres, where you're paying by the hour). But then I found that going to evening and part-time day classes at my local university in Wales gave me access to the university's computer facilities, which included scanners and PS. This was great, but now I'm having to move from Wales, and I'd like to go to a place that has a university or college that will give me this sort of computer access. I'm finding...

Flash/QT output is redirected to headset, how to get rid of this?
Hi all, I have been using a Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset on my G5 for half a year, only for VoIP. Since I upgraded to 10.4.3, whenever I open a movie/flash animation in Safari or Firefox, a dialog pops up stating that it can't connect to the bluetooth headset (which I turned off). However, I never told Safari/Firefox/QT/FlashPlayer to use the headset, I want them to use the internal speakers. (Which is the setting in Sound Prefs) I've been messing around with deleting .plist files for Quicktime/Flash/Safari, but can't restore audio output to internal speakers Help!!!...

USING GIMP TO GET "NATURAL" COLOUR
Hi, Firstly let me say that I am a totasl novice !!!! I have a satelite image of the Earth and want to change the colours to "natural" tones, can anyone give me a step by step account of what I should do ? I can supply the image for you to work on if that helps, Just leave an email and I will forward it. Thanks, Enda kieransept wrote: > Hi, > > Firstly let me say that I am a totasl novice !!!! I have a satelite > image of the Earth and want to change the colours to "natural" tones, > can anyone give me a step by step account of what I should do ? I can &...

Possible to use reflection to get constructor params/args

How do I get rid of flashing when your block mask refreshes in simulink?
Hi, I built customized s-function blocks with masks in simulink. The block's mask, such as input/output label and color, refreshes according to its output. As a result, mask refreshes every time step, and when this occurs, block flashes. When there are many blocks, flashing becomes really annoying. Is there anyway to make block refresh only when output actually changes or make it stop flashing? Thanks in advance. Cheers, HyunJung ...