Getting rid of camera flash/reflection/glare using PS/Gimp? (not redeye)

I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).

Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Gaiko

comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3540 articles. 0 followers. stuseven (66) is leader. Post Follow

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>
> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Gaiko

Do you have an example or 2 you could share with us, Gaiko. Depending on
what the glare is appearing on would determine the method of reducing
and/or removing it. Glare on a face, for example, could be removed by
careful cloning from good areas of skin using a high transparency for
the clone tool. Or filling the area with a high transparency and then
adding a little "noise". The list goes on and on, depending on the
subject which method you might use.
If you can supply an image, I am happy to correct it to the best of my
ability and then tell you step by step how I went about it.

Brian.
0
Brian
2/8/2005 7:26:34 AM
Brian wrote:
> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>
>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> -Gaiko

If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
do is the following:

1. Select by colour the glare area.
2. Feather selection.
3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.

Joal.
0
Joal
2/27/2005 1:23:31 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> -Gaiko
>
>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>do is the following:
>
>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>2. Feather selection.
>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
>Joal.

If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
white... that will not help.
0
no_email
2/27/2005 6:51:35 PM
Joal Heagney wrote:
> Brian wrote:
>
>> gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
>>> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
>>> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
>>> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
>>> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> -Gaiko
>

> If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> do is the following:
>
> 1. Select by colour the glare area.
> 2. Feather selection.
> 3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
> Joal.

I use the Patch Tool. Well, most of the time.

Clyde
0
Clyde
2/27/2005 7:29:03 PM
ZONED! wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
> wrote:
>

>>Brian wrote:

>>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>>do is the following:
>>
>>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>>2. Feather selection.
>>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>>
>>Joal.
>

> If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
> white... that will not help.

Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
pseudo-information. *grins*

Joal
0
Joal
2/27/2005 8:52:48 PM
Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> >>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> >>do is the following:
> >>
> >>1. Select by colour the glare area.
> >>2. Feather selection.
> >>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
> >>
> >>Joal.
> >

> > If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
> > white... that will not help.
>
> Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
> tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
> scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
> deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
> selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
> pseudo-information. *grins*

You forget to mention one thing. When used in the normal way, Curves
does not lower the value of pure white. You need to drag the upper right
top of the curve downwards, something many people wouldn't realize. You
can also use Levels and drag the LOWEST right slider (the one underneath
that gradient) to the left. It still won't be very pretty though, all
you do is make white a little bit grey.

--
Johan W. Elzenga            johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer      http://www.johanfoto.nl/

0
jjs
2/27/2005 9:55:02 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:52:48 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>ZONED! wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:31 GMT, Joal Heagney <joal@bigpond.net.au>
>> wrote:

>>>If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
>>>do is the following:
>>>
>>>1. Select by colour the glare area.
>>>2. Feather selection.
>>>3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>>>
>>>Joal.
>>

>> If the spots are truly "washed out" meaning no info exept the purest
>> white... that will not help.
>
>Not necessarily. If the spots are small enough, by using curves they
>tend to stand out less in the overall image. I used it once on a beach
>scene (Damn me if I didn't wipe the images off my hard-drive though.) to
>deemphasis the litter on the sand. Also, that's where the feather
>selection comes in - by blurring into the rest of the image, you regain
>pseudo-information. *grins*
>
>Joal
It looks like crap to me *s*
0
no_email
2/27/2005 10:52:19 PM
ZONED! wrote:

> It looks like crap to me *s*

Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.

Joal
0
Joal
2/28/2005 7:54:11 AM
Joal Heagney wrote:
> ZONED! wrote:
>
>> It looks like crap to me *s*
>

> Oh well. As they say Your Mileage May Vary.
>
> Joal

Well, I made an offer to Gaiko right at the start of this thread, that
if he/she sent me a pic as an example, I would fix it up and explain how
I went about it. I guess some people don't really want help at all.

Brian.
0
Brian
2/28/2005 8:09:15 AM
As others have pointed out, you'll struggle to get an acceptable result if
the areas are completely blown. But one method I find useful if there is at
least SOME detail is to create a new layer and use the Clone (or sometimes
Healing) brush set in DARKEN mode. You can then adjust the opacity of the
layer until you get something you are happy(ish) with.

"Joal Heagney" <joal@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
> > gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> I have a few pretty good pictures i took with one big problem, they
> >> have flash reflections (glare?), that is the washed out white spot due
> >> to taking a picture of a reflective surface with a flash (it was a
> >> take-it-before-it-passes kinda thing and i forgot about the flash).
> >>
> >> Is there a way to get rid of or reduce the flash whiteness from the
> >> picture using Photoshop (CS) or Gimp?
> >>
> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >>
> >> -Gaiko
>
> If it's a reflection off a metallic/plastic surface, one thing you can
> do is the following:
>
> 1. Select by colour the glare area.
> 2. Feather selection.
> 3. Use Curves to reduce the intensity of the spots.
>
> Joal.

0
embee

Gimp 2 OS X bad Gimp-2.0.0-5.dmg from Gimp.app
Hi All. www.gimp.org has to "Gimp for MacOSX" link which leads to http://www.gimp.org/macintosh which has a link for Gimp.app: "a self contained application bundle of the Gimp for OS X" from http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net A download of Gimp-2.0.0-5.dmg from gimp-app.sourceforge.net leaves me with a 31+ Meg diskimage DMG file. When I open/mount this dmg file I get a mount with a red '-' symbol on the folder icon and I get a mount that has zero items in it and what appears to be nothing in it. What's up with the Gimp-2.0.0-5.dmg file from gimp-app.sourceforge...

Gimp.app
Hi! On VersionTracker I found a note about Gimp.app. After googleing, I found this site [1]. Clicking on Gimp-2.0.0.dmg, sf.net brings in a dull error message [2]. What's wrong there? There's no maintainer mentioned, otherwise I'd had asked him/her. Any ideas? TIA & HAND André PS: Is there a (free) version of Gimp around using the native OS X l&f? [1] http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/ [2] http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-app/Gimp-2.0.0.dmg?download -- Real programmers use "cat > a.out" On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:56:32 +0000, Andre Bonhote wrote:...

[News] Graphics Pros Use the GIMP

Problems upgrading GIMP using pkg-get
Hello everyone, I've just tried to upgrade from GIMP 1.2 to GIMP 2.0 using pkg-get and blastwave.org. Having installed it, I cannot get it to run. I ran the command "truss /opt/csw/bin/gimp-2.0" to find a string of ENOENT errors. The first error seemed to originate from a missing part of the libpango package, so I uninstalled and reinstalled this. This didn't cure the problem, so I uninstalled and reinstalled GIMP. Having reinstalled there are still many errors, to the extent that the truss output now exceeds the length of the command line buffer and I can't tell ...

using Gimp as renderer in another GTK app?
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if it's possible to use Script-Fu or plugins in the Gimp to render graphics in another GTK application? I'd like to use "render land" or "flatland" to render a landscape, and display it on a GTK 2.2 application, in realtime, hopefully. Has something like this been done before? I would also appreciate any pointers to Gimp source code I could have a closer look at to accomplish this. Andreas R�sdal ...

guides using gimp batch processing gimp-2.4.6 for slicing scanned photos
michael@mws:~/.gimp-2.4/scripts% cat scanguides.scm ; uses guillotine on 4 scanned normal size photos to slice them out into ; 4 new images and save them ; ; use scanguides *.png 0 1 50 50 ; filename guide directions and percents ; gimp -i -b '(scanguides "*.png" 0 1 50 50)' -b '(gimp-quit 0)' (define (scanguides filename direction1 direction2 percent1 percent2) (let* ((filelist (cadr (file-glob pattern 1)))) (while (not (null? filelist)) (let* ((filename (car filelist)) (image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE ...

USING GIMP TO GET "NATURAL" COLOUR
Hi, Firstly let me say that I am a totasl novice !!!! I have a satelite image of the Earth and want to change the colours to "natural" tones, can anyone give me a step by step account of what I should do ? I can supply the image for you to work on if that helps, Just leave an email and I will forward it. Thanks, Enda kieransept wrote: > Hi, > > Firstly let me say that I am a totasl novice !!!! I have a satelite > image of the Earth and want to change the colours to "natural" tones, > can anyone give me a step by step account of what I should do ? I can &...

gimp-perl from outside of gimp?
The stuff I read about gimp-perl seems to indicate that the perl modules are run from within the gimp program as (plugins) for lack of a better term. I want to write command line perl scripts that can process images without running gimp. Is this possible and what resources are available that describe the API, if in fact one does exist? -Wiseguy Wiseguy <noone@all.com> writes: > The stuff I read about gimp-perl seems to indicate that the perl modules > are run from within the gimp program as (plugins) for lack of a better > term. I want to write command line perl scri...

Who uses Gimp?
freeloaders (of course) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090205133256AAsJIBh On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:07:42 -0400, DFS wrote: > freeloaders (of course) > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090205133256AAsJIBh There is no other reason to use it other than it being free. The same goes for Linux. On 04/12/2012 07:07 PM, DFS wrote: > freeloaders (of course) > http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090205133256AAsJIBh > > > Ooh look, it's DoFus and Fosterchild ganging up on GIMP... -- Norman Registered Linux user #461062 AMD64X2 6400+...

Using GIMP
GIMP is a big LEARNING CURVE. If you play with it long enough, you can do a lot. But, it is like NO INTERFACE you have seen before. I don't think a company wants to RE-TRAIN a lot of people. I think FOSS programs need to spend more time on the GUI. Apple developers are fanatical about a cool, easy to use interface. Linux geeks are like, "It is good enough". On Jul 31, 10:47=A0am, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" <psycge...@yahoo.com> wrote: > GIMP is a big LEARNING CURVE. If you play with it long > enough, you can do a lot. =A0But, it is like NO INTERFACE > you hav...

GIMP
Why? Why call it GIMP? Why not GIMS (Gnu Image Manipulation Software). I work in hundreds of primary schools, and we have decided against using this software as we feel (as do the local authority) that it is an inappropriate name for a software package to be installed on school networks. Its a real shame, your software is awesome and of benefit to the children in the schools we work for, yet you called it GIMP. The mind boggles. jonniethehack@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > Why? Why call it GIMP? Why not GIMS (Gnu Image Manipulation Software). > > I work in hundreds of prima...

GIMP
why would a development group, make an interface, that every graphics user that will use linux, has to re-learn. that is totally nuts, frustrating, and will drive users away. On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) <psycgeeks@yahoo.com> wrote: > why would a development group, make an interface, > that every graphics user that will use linux, has to > re-learn. Mebbe they don't think artists are total morons... ....or they just had their own requirements. > > that is totally nuts, frustrating, and will drive > users away. -- The average IT manager is a less effecti...

gimp
Hi :) I can't compile gimp with "make". It says an error in file print.o On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:16:19 +0600, Konstantin Shebalov wrote: > Hi :) I can't compile gimp with "make". It says an error in file print.o http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html -- life, the universe and everything www.dtch.org ...

[News] Drupal 7 Becomes Easier to Use, GIMP Already Gets the Job Done

Web resources about - Getting rid of camera flash/reflection/glare using PS/Gimp? (not redeye) - comp.graphics.apps.gimp

Labyrinth of Reflections - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Labyrinth of Reflections is the first novel in the Labyrinth trilogy of cyberpunk novels written by Russian science fiction writer Sergey Lukyanenko ...

Richter's Rants - Reflections on the iOS Development Community
Developers have a responsibility to users. At no point in human history have so few people been able to reach so many with so little oversight. ...

Reflections on Zite Being Acquired by Flipboard
... acquired by CNN.It’s counter-intuitive for a startup to be excited about joining a large company, but I was confident that CNN had the Reflections ...

Mirror Grid-reflection photo,collage maker,photo editor,filter editor on the App Store on iTunes
Get Mirror Grid-reflection photo,collage maker,photo editor,filter editor on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

National days should prompt reflection as well as inspire pride
Ben Roberts-Smith knows a thing or two about patriotism. Australia's most decorated soldier, Roberts-Smith is also chair of the National Australia ...

Is the Oil Bottom In? Reflections on Value, Volume, Other Ideas
... at $54 in July of 2015, at $42 in December of 2015, at countless points in between, and of course now at $34 on mere average volume. Reflections ...

CEO Jeff Immelt on transforming GE — reflections on digitizing manufacturing, winning the rat race, and ...
When Jeff Immelt became CEO of General Electric in 2001, he was following Jack Welch, one of the late 20th century's most prominent corporate ...

Quintessential Tanta: Reflections on Alt-A
... subprime borrower is Donald Trump as much as it is "Joe Sixpack." Tanta Vive!!! From Doris "Tanta" Dungey, written August 8, 2008: Reflections ...

Lives on the line: Reflections on covering 2015's tough stories
CBS Evening News anchor Scott Pelley reflects on another challenging and dangerous year for journalists covering tough stories

Obama's moment of reflection?
CNBC's John Harwood provides a preview of President Obama's final State of the Union address tonight.