PNG compression levels

I need to save some files a PNG.  Never having used PNG
before, I'm a bit unsure about the meaning of compression
level.

Is it true that PNG is completely lossless regardless of the
compression level, and that compression level only determines
how fast or slow a file will be to save and open?   Is that
the only consideration for PNG compression levels?

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

0
Joe
11/26/2003 9:27:57 PM
comp.graphics.apps.gimp 3540 articles. 0 followers. stuseven (66) is leader. Post Follow

Joe <nospam@joekaz.net> wrote:
> I need to save some files a PNG.  Never having used PNG
> before, I'm a bit unsure about the meaning of compression
> level.
>
> Is it true that PNG is completely lossless regardless of the
> compression level, and that compression level only determines
> how fast or slow a file will be to save and open?   Is that
> the only consideration for PNG compression levels?

Yes, yes and yes.

Of course it takes a tad longer to compress an image with the higher
compression levels, but recent computers really are fast ernough
to always compress using the highest compression level. You won't notice
the difference in time.

Bye,
       Simon
--
      Simon.Budig@unix-ag.org       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/
0
In <3fc52b6f@si-nic.hrz.uni-siegen.de>, Simon Budig wrote:

>> Is it true that PNG is completely lossless regardless of the
>> compression level, and that compression level only determines
>> how fast or slow a file will be to save and open?   Is that
>> the only consideration for PNG compression levels?
>
> Yes, yes and yes.

I want to add that *opening* a PNG with high(est) compression level isn't
slower than one with low(est) compression level.  It just affects the
speed of the compression.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
0
Marc

Google Checkout Level 1 and Level 2 ported to the Google App Engine
Live demo with examples: http://web2py.appspot.com/plugin_checkout Source code: http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/appliances/default/show/43 ...

margins in .png graphics
I am using the following to create a figure for publication purposes: scrsz = get(0,'ScreenSize'); hh1=figure('Position',[0 scrsz(4)*0.6 scrsz(3)*0.75 scrsz(4)/3]); then either plot or bar to create the figure and finally: set(gcf,'PaperPositionMode','auto') print('-dpng', 'figure-1') The problem is that the final picture has large white margins on the left and right side of the graph. Is it possible to control the size of the margins ? ...

Compressing vector graphics?
Hello, which program gives the best ratio in compressing vector graphics like eps or ai (Adobe Illustrator)? Thanks for your suggestions. ...

compression none in gimp
can we save a file in gimp without RLE compression. If it is possible, how such type file can created. Pls give me an idea or an reference On 6 Dez., 13:26, gurjantsing...@gmail.com wrote: > can we save a file in gimp without RLE compression. A file of which type? Michael On Dec 6, 11:26 pm, gurjantsing...@gmail.com wrote: > can we save a file in gimp without RLE compression. If it is > possible, how such type file can created. > Pls give me an idea or an reference I am uncertain as to what your question really means. When doing work on any images, the image should first...

Graphics compression in games
We are designing a game that is going to use a lot of graphics sprites and what we would like to do is compress the image files in one large graphics files and then load and decompress a graphic as it is needed. Does anybody know how this can be done? Or even bettercould somebody explain to me how graphics files are stored in some of the older sprite based games. I look at some games like Doom and such and it appears that all the images, sound, and data is stored in one large file (.wad file) and I just don't understand how that is done. Thanks, ~Justin "Justin Naidl" <jnadz@lsol.net> wrote in message news:43e27607$0$25075$4fcefb0e@news.tm.net... > We are designing a game that is going to use a lot of graphics sprites and > what we would like to do is compress the image files in one large graphics > files and then load and decompress a graphic as it is needed. Does > anybody know how this can be done? Or even bettercould somebody explain > to me how graphics files are stored in some of the older sprite based > games. I look at some games like Doom and such and it appears that all > the images, sound, and data is stored in one large file (.wad file) and I > just don't understand how that is done. Use RLE compression if you don't have complicated alpha masks. For a 1-bit mask you store the number of runs of transparent and opaque pixels per line, followed by # of transparent pixels, # of opaque pix...

pixel level graphics
- What is the fastest way to create a render window with immediate feedback (meaning when setPixel() is called, the pixel shows up immediately) ? - What is the fastest way to create a double buffered render window (meaning a complete frame is setPixel()'ed in the back buffer and then buffers are swapped) ? best regards, Ares Lagae ...

Gimp.app
Hi! On VersionTracker I found a note about Gimp.app. After googleing, I found this site [1]. Clicking on Gimp-2.0.0.dmg, sf.net brings in a dull error message [2]. What's wrong there? There's no maintainer mentioned, otherwise I'd had asked him/her. Any ideas? TIA & HAND André PS: Is there a (free) version of Gimp around using the native OS X l&f? [1] http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/ [2] http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-app/Gimp-2.0.0.dmg?download -- Real programmers use "cat > a.out" On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:56:32 +0000, Andre Bonhote wrote:...

GIMP graphic objects
I'm reading about GIMP and trying to use it but it does not seem to be an intuitive tool to use. Perhaps, I'm just not educated enough yet. The graphic tools I have worked with in the past, have treated visual 'things' as objects which can be operated on. The objects could be rectangles, circles, lines, bit maps, etc. Operations to be performed on the objects seem to be readily at hand, so that for example, you can select an object, e.g. a circle, and then 'fill' it with the fill operator or duplicate it with the 'copy' operator. In Gimp, I don't see a re...

Graphical APPS replacement
Someone emailed me to tell me my icon choose utility wasn't working. Shucks. Anyway, I finally got around to making an APPS replacement using the internal rom calls to get any user added items in the APPS menu. So there is now a new command in the library called IAPPS that will display an icon form of the APPS menu, as well as any user added programs in the STAT menu, NSOLVE menu, or FINANCE menu. I'd like to make some nice little icons to put in there to make it into a true replacement, and possibly change/expand the order and content of the standard APPS menu, but I am fresh out o...

Civ4 Graphics level settings
I am trying to set the graphics level to low in Civ4, but the settings don't take effect until you reload the game. Guess what - when I reload the game, the old settings are back, and it's set on high level graphics. I'm thinking it's some kind of default setting for my machine, which has pretty good specs but the fans are kind of screwed up so it overheats with high graphics. Anyone manage to change the graphics level to low? >I am trying to set the graphics level to low in Civ4, but the settings >don't take effect until you reload the game. G...

graphic inside a graphic
Hi everyone Does anybody know how to insert a graphic inside a graphic?? I mean, to add a small graphic (as a zoom for example) inside a plot. Thanks augusto try axes try axes check out the tool 'imshow()', then try to bring the figure in shape get(gca) and superimpose your graph - 'hold on', 'plot()', 'hold off' (Haven't tried it my self so far) Thorben The example below shows you how to insert a graphic (e.g. photo) into another MATLAB figure. I = imread('peppers.png'); theta = linspace(-pi,pi,200); figure; plot(theta,cos(theta)); gr...

JPEG compression and quality level
Hello all! Is there a way or some (free) 3rd party algorithm to determine the JPEG compression level? We need to make sure that some JPEGs have a certain quality. Images under a some threshold value shall be rejected form being upploaded. E.g. our JPEG quality scale would be from 0-100%, then all images below 70% can't be submitted. (100% is the lowest compression possible, large file) Is there such an algorithm? Karsten Karsten Wutzke <kwutzke-blahblah@emporis.com> writes: > Is there a way or some (free) 3rd party algorithm to determine the > JPEG compression level...

Fonts work on other apps, but not gimp
Hey all, I have searched for a possible explanation, but I can't seem to find one. I am able to install TTF fonts, and the fonts that I install show up in other applications, i.e. OpenOffice. However, the gimp is not picking them up. Is there anything gimp-specific that I need to edit? It has worked seamlessly on previous installs, but perhaps there is something idiosyncratic... Thanks in advance! Erica wrote: > Hey all, > > I have searched for a possible explanation, but I can't seem to find > one. I am able to install TTF fonts, and the fonts that I install show >...

Computer graphics video compression.
Hello! As computer graphics are commonly sparse and plain, for example when grabbing some desktop programs or or some retro games (look at your Web Browser and see how much plain color), we get a big compression inneficiency using a lossy compressor like mpeg. Example: A computer program video grab of 8000 frames. Around 5 minutes, depending of NTSC or PAL. With each frame compressed with ..png taking only 4 to 8 KBytes, did a video total file size of: 8Kbytes * 8000frames = 64MegaBytes Whereas using mpeg encoders like mplayer or mjpegtools, the resulting ..avi video file was bigger than ...

To Compress or Not To Compress -- That is the Question !
Hi: I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pentium 4 with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) with an xHarbour .exe as the CGI 'script'. If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benefit or penalty to compressing the .exe ? Currently, one of the compressed executables is 486,400 bytes. Uncompressed, it is 1,076,224 bytes. I welcome your opinions. Thanks. -Mel Smith -- Mel Smith Mel, In case of your setup IMHO the compressed .exe has no advantages, the decompressing operation ( aka UnZip ) - eats the server's processor time - it slows down the load of the main page at client-side I think that compressing is useful when: - the .exe is stored at server-side, but runs at client-side and the network is extremely slow ( on average less then 1MB / sec ) - you have a desktop software, you don't want the user to extract the artwork from the .exe file or to reverse-engineer it, and the user is not able to google and apply the instructions for decompressing your .exe Ella On 3 sep., 02:13, "Mel Smith" <med_cutout_syn...@aol.com> wrote: > Hi: > > =A0 =A0 I'm running a website (I have three sites on my older Dell -- Pen= tium 4 > with 2GB of Memory and a 350Gig Harddrive) =A0with an xHarbour .exe as th= e CGI > 'script'. > > =A0 =A0 If I have many simultaneous clients, is there a significant benef= it or > penalty to compressing the .e...

Compression in PS level 2
I want to compress image data in PS using language level 2. How to use runlength and other filters to get this done..... "Needo" <mnmateen@yahoo.com> wrote: >I want to compress image data in PS using language level 2. > >How to use runlength and other filters to get this done..... The PostScript Language Reference has the details, and either defines the compressed data format, or gives a refererence to where it is defined. Some filters are very simple to compress for (RunLength), for some you would use outside code (e.g. zlib for FlateDecode), and for others i...

adding graphics to my console app
I need to add scientific visualization capability to my "console" application (text-based UI, C code). This just means being able to open a window and display data in graphical format. I have a couple of options: 1. Dredge up ancient QuickDraw code I wrote back in the '90s, Carbonize it, and adapt it for my needs. I used to know all about GrafPorts, etc. I don't know if this is still useful :-) 2. Develop a graphical front-end in Java, and implement a two-way communication protocol between the Java code and my C application. My C app would ship data to the Java app for display, and the Java app would send graphics-related user commands back to my C app. I would retain the text-based UI for non-graphics related stuff. The advantage to #1 is tight integration between the number-crunching and display code. The disadvantage to #1 is loss of cross-platform compatibility. An advantage to #2 is learning Java (the company I work for has gone bonkers over Java - I gotta get with the program). Also, a Java-based solution would be cross-platform. A disadvantage to #2 is possible headaches implementing the dynamic interface between Java and my C app (I currently don't know how to do this, although I've heard that it can be done). I've been experimenting with the graphics capability of J2SE 1.5 on Windows. There appears to be sufficiently rich graphics functionality within Java to do what I need. Anyone have any thoughts o...

Windows App Compression Req.
I have a Win98 computer with a 2.1 GB formatted hard drive--anyway, that's how much of it works--and want to compress applications, and access to WinXP computers on which I am not allowed to install my software. On the latter, I can only run applications from floppy and CD. I have WinMount on other computers, but it's not compatible with Win98 and requires installation. UPX, along with its front-ends, can only compress executables. The latter serve well, though. I downloaded appzip for the Win98 computer, but it doesn't work. I need, for the Win98 computer, a way of compressi...

OT unbelieveable PNG compression
Here is a picture that contains full RGB colours 256x256x256. Each pixel is represented by different colour and the picture containr full 16.8M colours. The picture has resolution 4096x4096 pixels and the colours in the picture are placed in the way to propose maximal possible compression in PNG format. The size of this compressed picture is just 58kB. http://davidnaylor.org/temp/all16777216rgb.png source : http://www.dsl.sk/article.php?article=2850&title= B Bohus Kr�l wrote: > Here is a picture that contains full RGB colours 256x256x256. Each pixel > is represented by di...

WinEdt, MikTeX and Compressed Graphics
I have a paper that was written using TeTeX on Linux. Now I am trying to get the same document to run under Windows using WinEdt and MiKTeX. Previously on Linux I compressed all of my graphics to .eps.gz files and created .eps.bb files that had the bounding box information. It is standard in TeTeX that the \DeclareGraphicsRule uses \DeclareGraphicsRule{.eps.gz}{eps}{.eps.bb}{'gunzip -c #1} How does one get a similar thing to work under Windows. I have Win-Gz installed but not sure if that can work. What does the \DeclareGraphicsRule need to look like under Windows? Thanks. ...

rfc: simple graphics compression
I am thinking some about the idea of "simple" compression algos for graphics. what I know of: simple algos, eg, rle, which often suck for true color, gradients, ... but hell, even rle somewhat beats nothing at all. plain data algos being used for graphics, and often used for paletized images (I will ignore these as they are often neither simple nor true color). imo lossless png falls here, though it supports true color. I am thinking the use of deflate increases the complexity somewhat. somewhat more complex algos often involving things like dct and similar are used for true ...

compress utility != Compress::Zlib::compress() on linux and Windows
For some reason when the compress utility is used to create a .Z file, the result is not recognized by the Compress::Zlib uncompress() function (on either Linux or Windows). And it turns out that Compress::Zlib::compress() produces a _different_ .Z file. Editing the two seems to show that the contents are the same after a certain point and thus the headers differ. DOH! I am running with perl v5.8.6, in which Compress::Zlib v1.33 is bundled. (v1.34 was released in 2005-01; but I doubt if 1.33 is drastically out of date.) Can anyone shed some light on this? If so, you'll be doing better ...

paintComponent(Graphics graphics)
Hi=20 I hope I can explain this clearly without getting into too much detail as t= he code in question is a couple of thousand of lines. So to begin, I have = a JPanel to which I add JLabels and JComponents using JPanel's add() method= .. It works fine, but now I would like to print an image ON TOP of the adde= d JLabels and JComponents. For this I manipulate my JPanel's paintComponen= t(Graphics graphics) method. In it I have something of the following sort: paintComponent(Graphics graphics){ Graphics2D g =3D (Graphics2D)graphics.create(); g.drawImage(image, 200, ...

Gimp and ImageMagick question about levels
In gimp I can change the "tone range" of an image in the Curves tool, and it does exactly what I want, by moving the right hand (black side) dot to 25% of the scale, and the left (white side) dot to 75% of the scale, then apply this adjustment. The effect is that the image moves more toward grey. I'd like to automate this step as part of an ImageMagick script, but I can't seem to get exactly the same effect. I figure it's probably something done with "levels" but I can't figure out what incantation produces the same result as the gimp step... I'...

Web resources about - PNG compression levels - comp.graphics.apps.gimp

Lossy compression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In information technology , "lossy" compression is a data encoding method that compresses data by discarding (losing) some of it. The procedure ...

The Logic Pros: Time compression and pitch correction with Logic’s built-in Flex tools
In this week’s episode of the The Logic Pros , Flex audio features are up, with some serious hardware reviews on deck. Next week we will start ...

VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.4 Standard: DisplayPort Adds Compression & HDR
One of the more interesting aspects of the DisplayPort standards is how the VESA has the separate but strongly intertwined DisplayPort and Embedded ...

Reduce data usage, turn on data compression in Chrome – Android customization
The web browser can be a major data user on our devices, this Android customization post will show you how to turn on data compression in Chrome, ...

Opera Max Now Supports Data Compression For Netflix And YouTube Video
Opera Max has been out for a while, and it's been helpful to those who find themselves running low on data each billing cycle. This app uses ...

Google launches Brotli, a new open source compression algorithm to speed up the web
As websites and online services become ever more demanding, the need for compression increases exponentially. Fans of Silicon Valley will be ...

China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network
China Mobile, Huawei and Qualcomm, Debut Uplink Data Compression on 4G Network Cellular News China Mobile, along with Huawei and Qualcomm announced ...

Opera Mini browser for Android gets new data compression tech
The latest version for the mobile browser adds a new High compression mode that minimises data expenditure without affecting the page display. ...

Google to boost compression performance in Chrome 49
Google yesterday announced that a new in-house compression algorithm, dubbed "Brotli," will soon be added to Chrome to speed up page loading ...

Netflix’s New Video Compression Strategy
Don Melton: The tl;dr of it all is simply that Netflix plans on scaling bitrates up and down based on the complexity of their video. So, slightly ...