help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font"

Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above message when I try to run the following script.  Can someone please educate me?  :-)  Thanks!

set term png
set output '| display png:-'  # cool trick
plot sin(x) with lines

Setting the term font does not help:
set term png font arial 14 size 800,600

Also, according to https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in usr/share/fonts/liberation

rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation
LiberationMono-Bold.ttf        LiberationSans-Regular.ttf
LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf  LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf
LiberationMono-Italic.ttf      LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
LiberationMono-Regular.ttf     LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf
LiberationSans-Bold.ttf        LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf  fonts.dir
LiberationSans-Italic.ttf      fonts.scale

But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error:

rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts
rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font

rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation
rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal non-scalable font
0
Rich
6/17/2013 5:39:31 PM
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot 5008 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Rich Cook wrote:

> Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the above
> message when I try to run the following script.  Can someone please
> educate me?  :-)  Thanks!
>
> set term png
> set output '| display png:-'  # cool trick
> plot sin(x) with lines
>
> Setting the term font does not help:
> set term png font arial 14 size 800,600

So you are telling libgd to use a font named arial;
it will add (.ttf) when looking for it.  So in order to satisfy this
request you need to have arial.ttf installed somewhere.

> Also, according to
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I, I
> should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in
> usr/share/fonts/liberation
>
> rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation
> LiberationMono-Bold.ttf        LiberationSans-Regular.ttf
> LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf  LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf
> LiberationMono-Italic.ttf      LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
> LiberationMono-Regular.ttf     LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf
> LiberationSans-Bold.ttf        LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
> LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf  fonts.dir
> LiberationSans-Italic.ttf      fonts.scale
>
> But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error:
>

> rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts
> rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
> Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal
> non-scalable font

Well yes. If you want to use the Liberation fonts then say
   set term png font "LiberationSans-Regular"
or probably better, put it in an environmental variable.  E.g.
   setenv GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT LiberationSans-Regular

Or if you think people are going to be requesting arial even though
you don't want to install it, how about
   cd /usr/share/fonts/liberation
   ln -s LiberationSans-Regular.ttf arial.ttf

> rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation
> rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
> Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal
> non-scalable font

0
sfeam
6/18/2013 12:05:14 AM
On Monday, June 17, 2013 5:05:14 PM UTC-7, sfeam wrote:
> [...]
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Or if you think people are going to be requesting arial even though
>=20
> you don't want to install it, how about
>=20
>    cd /usr/share/fonts/liberation
>=20
>    ln -s LiberationSans-Regular.ttf arial.ttf
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=3D/usr/share/fonts/liberation
>=20
> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
>=20
> > Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal

It's not that I want to be able to use arial, it's that I'm getting the abo=
ve message just by trying to make a simple plot with PNG terminal.  If I us=
e pngcairo, then there is no error message.   If you notice, the first scri=
pt I posted says nothing about fonts at all. Yet it gives the "cannot find =
arial" message. =20
What is the source of the error?
0
Rich
6/19/2013 3:36:46 AM
Rich Cook wrote:

> On Monday, June 17, 2013 5:05:14 PM UTC-7, sfeam wrote:
>> Rich Cook wrote:
>>

>> > Hello, I have installed gnuplot on our cluster, and am seeing the
>> > above
>>
>> > message when I try to run the following script.  Can someone please
>>
>> > educate me?  :-)  Thanks!
>>

>> > set term png
>>
>> > set output '| display png:-'  # cool trick
>>
>> > plot sin(x) with lines
>>

>> > Setting the term font does not help:
>>
>> > set term png font arial 14 size 800,600
>>

>> So you are telling libgd to use a font named arial;
>>
>> it will add (.ttf) when looking for it.  So in order to satisfy this
>>
>> request you need to have arial.ttf installed somewhere.
>>

>> > Also, according to
>>
>> > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/opentsdb/iVXcPyy5e9I,
>>
>> > should be able to use the liberation fonts, which I have found in
>>
>> > usr/share/fonts/liberation
>>

>> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): ls /usr/share/fonts/liberation
>>
>> > LiberationMono-Bold.ttf        LiberationSans-Regular.ttf
>>
>> > LiberationMono-BoldItalic.ttf  LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf
>>
>> > LiberationMono-Italic.ttf      LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
>>
>> > LiberationMono-Regular.ttf     LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf
>>
>> > LiberationSans-Bold.ttf        LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf
>>
>> > LiberationSans-BoldItalic.ttf  fonts.dir
>>
>> > LiberationSans-Italic.ttf      fonts.scale
>>

>> > But when I try setting GDFONTPATH, it still gets the same error:
>>

>> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts
>>
>> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
>>
>> > Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal
>>
>> > non-scalable font
>>

>> Well yes. If you want to use the Liberation fonts then say
>>
>>    set term png font "LiberationSans-Regular"
>>
>> or probably better, put it in an environmental variable.  E.g.
>>
>>    setenv GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT LiberationSans-Regular
>>

>> Or if you think people are going to be requesting arial even though
>>
>> you don't want to install it, how about
>>
>>    cd /usr/share/fonts/liberation
>>
>>    ln -s LiberationSans-Regular.ttf arial.ttf
>>

>> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): export
>> > GDFONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/liberation
>>
>> > rcook@rzgpu2 (gnuplot): gnuplot newtest.gnuplot
>>
>> > Could not find/open font when opening font "arial", using internal
>>
>> > non-scalable font
>
> It's not that I want to be able to use arial, it's that I'm getting
> the above message just by trying to make a simple plot with PNG
> terminal.  If I use pngcairo, then there is no error message.   If you
> notice, the first script I posted says nothing about fonts at all. Yet
> it gives the "cannot find arial" message. What is the source of the
> error?

There has to be some default font.
If you haven't specified a default font on your system,
the program still has to pick one. Arial is reasonably common,
or was at the time the decision was made, so we picked that one.
  setenv GNUPLOT_DEFAULT_GDFONT LiberationSans-Regular
would bypass this, since it specifies a different default.

As to png (libgd) vs. pngcairo,  those are completely different
support libraries.  Font handling by one has nothing to do with
font handling by the other.  And PostScript is different yet
again, and svg, and TeX, and so on and so on.

0
sfeam

"Font not available" error. How do I get the font??
Hi All, I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the alternative to replace the original fonts with some others. However, in the above described situation, how can I get this or that font? Specially when it tells me the "font family so and so" is not available? TIA, jbr On Jun 20, 2006, BigBen wrote: > Hi All, > > I'm opening some FrameMaker files, and getting error messages that > some fonts used are not available in my system, and ofering the > altern...

What "Preferences" Font Setting Determines the "Datatips" Font?
I'd like to specify a particular font ("ProFontWindows" 8pt or 9pt) for the "Datatips". Where in "File" > "Preferences" > "Fonts" do I need to go to set it? I realize this is trivial as problems go, but I can't figure it out! Thanks! Vi�arr ----------------- Hi Vi�arr, the datatips follow the font that the Editor uses: File --> Preferences --> Fonts --> "Desktop code font." (You can also specify a particular font for the Editor under Fonts --> Custom.) Jared "Vi�arr" <g-w-bush-is-...

correct "sizing" of Helvetica font, relative to various times-new-roman fonts, to have both fonts have the same x-height
Greetings! I hope the following isn't an faq (at least, it doesn't seem to be in the UK TUG FAQ). Basically, my question comes up because I'm involved in a project that requires the use of "Times New Roman" (hereafter, TNR) as the main text font and "Helvetica" as the sans-serif font. I use both TexLive 2010 and MikTeX 2.9 on PCs and TexLive/MacTeX 2010 on an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.5. As is well known, Helvetica and TNR differ considerably in their x- heights (for a given font size of, say, 10pt or 12pt). In various packages. (The letters u, v, w, and z work as well...) I've found references on comp.text.tex to the effect that Helvetica should be scaled down by about 6 percent in order to make it have the same x- height as TNR. This is easily accomplished by loading, e.g., the helvet package with the "scaled=0.94 option", viz., \usepackage[scaled=0.94]{helvet}. My issue is that I am puzzled why others state that the scaling factor should be about 6%. Based on extensive font size comparisons, I believe the scaling factor should be about 12.6% when using the "standard" TNR fonts, and 14.3% when using the txfonts package, if the objective is to get TNR and Helvetica to have the exact-same x- heights. Is this discrepancy because the old instructions/suggestions I've found are based on some TNR implementation (which I don't seem to have access to) with a radically different, viz., l...

[fonts] Installing "local" fonts (lm)
Hello, I recently tried to install fonts locally. I've got a local directory (let's say /mydir/latex) which contains a texmf directory. This dir (/mydir/latex) is exported to appear in $TEXINPUTS and i can successfully use packages installed in /mydir/latex/texmf/latex for example. As I was trying to install fonts (lm - latin modern - http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/lm/) I ended up with an issue (cannot use the fonts). Sadly, http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts did not help, or i missed something trivial... Here is how I actually did this : 1/ extra...

"security" font
Hello, I need to find a "security" font to use as a background watermark on a document (ie, on a legal document, the customer's name is repeatedly printed in faint 8 point type angled at 45 degrees all over the page). I've tried to recreate this by using outline fonts, but the printed results at 300 and 600 dpi don't look very good. I've tried to stroke it using different dashed lines, by turning the glyphs into a path and filling using a stippled pattern, and by simply changing the gray level - but the results are only reliable at 1200dpi, and most of our customer...

Font installation problems "Font shape undefined"
I'm trying to install Adobe Sabon and Adobe Trade Gothic on a Linux system running e-TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-2.1 I have Trade Gothic installed properly, but when I try to use Sabon in my document, LaTeX says: LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/psbx/m/n' undefined (Font) using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 96. I have all fd files installed under /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/adobe/sabon and the other files under /usr/share/texmf/fonts/*/adobe/sabon. I have run texhash after putting the files there. The files for Trade Gothic are installed in a similar w...

Font Book vs. "Those Professional Font Managers"
Here's an example of something that is trivial to do in Apple's Font Book and I'm curious as to how easily the same thing is accomplished in one of the "professional" font managers such as Font Explorer or Suitcase Fusion. When Adobe's Creative Suite 2 is installed a folder is created in Library/Application Support/Fonts that contains some 180 .otf files each of which contains a single face within a font family. Thus a given font family can be represented by one or more .otf files. What is helpful (at least to me) is to place all of the .otf files for a given ...

Converting Mac Fonts "Helvetica Neue" to Window fonts
Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. Can anybody help me? Or anyone like to exchange fonts? Thank you! Claire wrote: > Hello designers...How am I convert My mac fonts to use them on Window? > I tried to use Cross Fonts..but Didn't really work.. The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). http://www.morrisonsoftdesign.com/fd_mac.html > > The latest version of this product (FontDoctor) claims to do it (and I believe it). > http://www.morriso...

font size relative to "top level" font size

Font Request: "The Batman" (Animated Series) Title Font
Hi, folks... I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening title of "The Batman" animated series. I've found severals different fonts for Batman, from the "Batman & Robin" Animated Series to "Batman Forever" and "Batman Bewins". But I can't find anything on "The Batman". Can you guys help me on this? Regards, MstrControl mstrcontrol@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, folks... > > I've searched the net, but I can't find the font used on the opening > title of "The Batman" anim...

Font Installer: "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly"
Hey there :) I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be able to browse my Fontfolio fonts (a lot of fonts), but lately (I think with 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 (my current version) - I think it was okay with 3.2.3) it starts reading fonts, then after about 1000 fonts, it stops and I get a popup with "The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly". What could be the cause of this? TIA, Daniel -- I win! DanielEKFA wrote: > Hey there :) > > I've had this problem with a couple of later KDE versions. I used to be > able to browse my Fon...

"Fonts" and "Faces"
Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces Each of them having Special Places (to be sung to the tune of "Love and Marriage" in the musical "Our Town"! I just want to anchor down the correct terminology. A "font" is such as Arno Pro and a "face" is, in the context of Arno Pro, "bold" or "italic" or "regular" and so on. So, the question is, am I correct? -- James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... taliesinsoft@me.com TaliesinSoft wrote: > Fonts and Faces, Fonts and Faces > Each of them having Special Places > > ...

EPS for AGU journal: "outline" fonts or embed supported fonts?
Hello all, I am still struggling to get AGU to properly use my EPS figures (in which text is replaced using psfrag) in the form I intend. My remaining problem is that it appears the CM fonts are embedded in some of the figures and that these are not supported by AGU. I say some because not all figures share this problem. The solution proposed by AGU is as follows: "All of the resubmitted figures were used in the proofs you have received. However, many of those figures were submitted with fonts that were not outlined and with fonts that AGU do not support. Thus, the figures in quest...

how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"?
how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"? How print in one edit sub-windows not rich edit, the char in 021d2h? On 30-Jul-10 9:28 AM, io_x wrote: > how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"? > > How print in one edit sub-windows not rich edit, > > the char in 021d2h? Look up "Unicode enabled functions" in the MSDN, and how to enable them with your compiler. [Jw] "Jongware" <jongware@no-spam.plz> ha scritto nel messaggio news:4c528b26$0$22945$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl... > On 30-Jul-10 9:28 AM, io_x wro...

how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"?
how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"? How print in one edit sub-windows not rich edit, the char in 021d2h? On 30-Jul-10 9:28 AM, io_x wrote: > how to use the font "Arial Unicode Ms"? > > How print in one edit sub-windows not rich edit, > > the char in 021d2h? Look up "Unicode enabled functions" in the MSDN, and how to enable them with your compiler. [Jw] "Jongware" <jongware@no-spam.plz> ha scritto nel messaggio news:4c528b26$0$22945$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl... > On 30-Jul-10 9:28 AM, io_x wro...

Correct XHTML: <FONT class=aaa> .... without "FONT" ???
I want define for a couple of words inside a longer text with different font specifications. I declared it like: ....text before.... <FONT class=aaa> these text should get other attributes </FONT> text after However when I let this html source validate the FONT tag is marked as not compatible with XHTML. So how do I specify otherwise new font attributes to only a few words? <class=aaa>...</class> does not work. Matt On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:32:53 +0100, Matt Adams wrote: > However when I let this html source validate the FONT tag is > marked...

How does Wordpad "read" font Code page 437? (CP437, OEM font)
How does wordpad "read" font Code page 437? (CP437, OEM font) I copied and pasted some of the box drawing characters, and mathematical symbols from the below URL into Wordpad, and it worked! Saved, still ok. I thought this old "font" had been lost. How do they do that? I also changed the font to arial, Courier new, Times New Roman, Webdings, and others, and they still showed as box drawing characters, etc, (but they showed as these named fonts in Wordpad). In short, they kinda act like the old MSDOS machines or MS-DOS edit. Normally in Win, the high bit ASC...

"could not open default font 'fixed'"
Hello, i just installed a debian 3.0 with the minimum amount of packages... i apt-get install xfree86 and gpm made my mouse work then ran xfree... and it tells me : could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list! fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed' do i have to install some fonts ( what is the name of the package ? ) ? thanks ! Xavier Seneque wrote: > Hello, > > i just installed a debian 3.0 with the minimum amount of packages... > i apt-get install xfree86 and gpm > made my mouse work > > then...

[News] The Font Test; Verdict: "Yes, fonts on Linux look quite good!"
Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering ,----[ Quote ] | Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at it | gives me headaches. Also, Linux's myth of bad font rendering | is finally over. `---- http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/ Subject line quote from: http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering > > ,----[ Quote ] > | Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at i...

using font generator setvar(font groups, new font name)
I'm trying to determine if you have to create a font for each version and size of the font being used. Ie. Do I have to create seperate fonts for: Courier New, Bold, size 8 and Courier New, italics, size 8 or can I just create one for Courier New size 8 and it recognize it? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. -Halina ...

"Friskfonter 1.0"- Freeware Germanic Scripts: Runes and Gothic, Junicode Fonts, IPA Fonts
"Friskfonter 1.0" is a freeware software, an -exe archival package of 13 True Type Fonts, representing the earliest known scripts of Germanic wolk: Runic (in several variants), which forms a basis for a number of epigraphic inscription and one TTF representing Gothic scripts of Bishop Wulfila (4th century). This package contains 4 types of Junicode True Type Fonts (containing Ash, Eth, Thorn, Wynn and Yogh characters used in Old English) plus 4 fonts for IPA transliteration. It is of use to historians, archaeologists, linguists, paleographers. It is also of use to anybody who likes ...

font to use in another font
I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out there that I could use in my font? It would have to be completely free of copyright. Thanks. -John John Baima In article <s1gh55l9098r98bu1481bf1k846217vko2@4ax.com>, John Baima <john@nospam.com> wrote: > I have developed a font that I want to distribute and all of the > characters I really care about are outside the normal Latin/English > glyph range. Are there any Times like fonts out the...

Help with a font (looking for a font)
Hello, Everytime I ask you guys a question, you people help me out, so here I am, again, asking for your help. I am not very rich, just a student and I am looking for a couple of fonts, for the PC (TTF). I would appreciate it if you can tell me where to download the following fonts, for free, or fonts very similar to them: 1) New Century Schoolbook 2) News Gothic 3) Franklin Gothic. I am looking for a font with the "g" tail, similar to New Century Schoolbook (for serif) and the "g tail" similar to News Gothic or Franklin Gothic (for sans-serif). If you don't know whe...

Help on "wasy" font
Dear all Can any one send me the full family of "wasy" series?(wasy9, wasy10, wasy12, both ".pfb" and ".pfm"). Now I am having "wasy10" only. Thanks and Regards Saravanan,M. Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in (Saravanan,M.) schrieb: > Dear all > > Can any one send me the full family of "wasy" series?(wasy9, wasy10, > wasy12, both ".pfb" and ".pfm"). Search in on ctan. http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=websearch -- Ulrike Fischer e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen. e-mail:...

Web resources about - help with font error: "Could not find/open font when opening font arial, using internal non-scalable font" - comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot