Latex-style label text

In a label, can I use a LaTeX maths mode text like $x_i$?

I have the gnuplot manual, and from somewhere I have a couple of sheets
called "Syntax for postscript enhanced option". I feel lucky that I have
this (but it says nothing about LaTeX mode), but could that kind of
information not be included in the manual? Maybe it is, I suppose, in a
version newer than mine, which is from August 2007...
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0

Am 27.10.2010 10:17, schrieb Dieter Britz:
> In a label, can I use a LaTeX maths mode text like $x_i$?

Yes, but only with terminals that do LaTeX postprocessing (epslatex,
pstricks, tikz etc).

> I have the gnuplot manual, and from somewhere I have a couple of sheets
> called "Syntax for postscript enhanced option". I feel lucky that I have
> this (but it says nothing about LaTeX mode), but could that kind of
> information not be included in the manual?

Maybe you should take a look at the manual ;-) This is described in
section "Enhanced text mode".

Christoph

0
Christoph
10/27/2010 8:29:44 AM
Christoph Bersch wrote:

> Am 27.10.2010 10:17, schrieb Dieter Britz:
>> In a label, can I use a LaTeX maths mode text like $x_i$?
>
> Yes, but only with terminals that do LaTeX postprocessing (epslatex,
> pstricks, tikz etc).
>
>> I have the gnuplot manual, and from somewhere I have a couple of sheets
>> called "Syntax for postscript enhanced option". I feel lucky that I have
>> this (but it says nothing about LaTeX mode), but could that kind of
>> information not be included in the manual?
>
> Maybe you should take a look at the manual ;-) This is described in
> section "Enhanced text mode".
>
> Christoph

I thought I might get that answer. I guess I have to download the latest
manual version; mine is from 2007.

What I want is the italic maths symbols, some of them Greek. The Latin
ones come out OK with /Times-Italics but I don't know how to get italics
with the Greeks. I set the terminal to "postscript enh eps". Any advice,
apart from getting and reading the new manual?
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0
Dieter
10/29/2010 12:07:32 PM
Am 02.11.2010 11:33, schrieb Dieter Britz:
> Christoph Bersch wrote:
>> Maybe you should take a look at the manual ;-) This is described in
>> section "Enhanced text mode".
>>
> I downloaded the most recent manual now. That page is damned brief, so I
> will keep the much more informative loose 2-page sheet I got from
> somewhere. It doesn't unfortunately tell me how to get maths-type
> italic greek symbols on a label

It is not so easy. I think, no one of the 35 standard Postscript fonts
has italic greek symbols (or I could not find them), so you must need
external postscript fonts.

What you can do is to explicitely use external Postscript font files:

set fontpath \
     "/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/mathdesign/mdput/"
set terminal postscript eps enhanced font ",20" \
     fontfile "md-utri7m.pfb"
set output 'sin.eps'
plot sin(x) t '{/MathDesign-UT-Regular-Italic-MathItalic-10 \15} = 1.1'

You can also use any other .pfb file (and you probably must adapt the
fontpath for your system).

This method works well if you need only single letters, because the
kerning and hinting of the font does not work. I could not find a pfb
file containing italic greek symbols for use with times.

Christoph
0
Christoph
11/2/2010 9:54:26 AM
Christoph Bersch wrote:

> Am 27.10.2010 10:17, schrieb Dieter Britz:
>> In a label, can I use a LaTeX maths mode text like $x_i$?
>
> Yes, but only with terminals that do LaTeX postprocessing (epslatex,
> pstricks, tikz etc).
>
>> I have the gnuplot manual, and from somewhere I have a couple of sheets
>> called "Syntax for postscript enhanced option". I feel lucky that I have
>> this (but it says nothing about LaTeX mode), but could that kind of
>> information not be included in the manual?
>
> Maybe you should take a look at the manual ;-) This is described in
> section "Enhanced text mode".
>
> Christoph

I downloaded the most recent manual now. That page is damned brief, so I
will keep the much more informative loose 2-page sheet I got from
somewhere. It doesn't unfortunately tell me how to get maths-type
italic greek symbols on a label - but neither does that page in the
manual.
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritz<at>gmail.com)
0
Dieter
11/2/2010 10:33:56 AM
Christoph Bersch wrote:

> Am 02.11.2010 11:33, schrieb Dieter Britz:
>> Christoph Bersch wrote:
>>> Maybe you should take a look at the manual ;-) This is described in
>>> section "Enhanced text mode".
>>>
>> I downloaded the most recent manual now. That page is damned brief,
>> so I will keep the much more informative loose 2-page sheet I got
>> from somewhere. It doesn't unfortunately tell me how to get
>> maths-type italic greek symbols on a label
>
> It is not so easy. I think, no one of the 35 standard Postscript fonts
> has italic greek symbols (or I could not find them), so you must need
> external postscript fonts.
>
> What you can do is to explicitely use external Postscript font files:
>
> set fontpath \
>      "/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/mathdesign/mdput/"
> set terminal postscript eps enhanced font ",20" \
>      fontfile "md-utri7m.pfb"
> set output 'sin.eps'
> plot sin(x) t '{/MathDesign-UT-Regular-Italic-MathItalic-10 \15} =
> 1.1'
>

> You can also use any other .pfb file (and you probably must adapt the
> fontpath for your system).
>
> This method works well if you need only single letters, because the
> kerning and hinting of the font does not work. I could not find a pfb
> file containing italic greek symbols for use with times.
>
> Christoph

From section 83.55.2 of the current manual, heading "Postscript fontfile":

==
For example, including Type 1 font files can be used for including the
postscript output in LaTeX documents. The "european computer modern" font
(which is a variant of the "computer modern" font) is available in pfb format
from any CTAN server, e.g.
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/
For example, the file "sfrm1000.pfb" contains the normal upright fonts with
serifs in the design size 10pt (font name "SFRM1000"). The computer modern
fonts, which are still necessary for mathematics, are available from
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky
With these you can use any character available in TeX. However, the computer
modern fonts have a strange encoding. (This is why you should not use
cmr10.pfb for text, but sfrm1000.pfb instead.) The usage of TeX fonts is
shown in one of the demos. The file "ps fontfile doc.tex" in the /docs/psdoc
subdirectory of the gnuplot source distribution contains a table with glyphs
of the TeX mathfonts. If the font "CMEX10" is embedded (file "cmex10.pfb")
gnuplot defines the additional font "CMEX10-Baseline". It is shifted
vertically in order to fit better to the other glyphs (CMEX10 has its
baseline at the top of the symbols).
==

0
sfeam
11/2/2010 3:19:54 PM
If your are happy with sans-serif fonts,
you can use Symbol-Oblique and Helvetica Oblique:

set term postscr enh eps
set out 'italics.eps'

set xlabel '{/Symbol-Oblique m}_0{/Helvetica-Oblique H}'
set ylabel '{/Symbol m}_0H'
pl sin(x)

For frequent use I suggest writing a set of function

_i(s)=sprintf('{/Helvetica-Oblique %s}',s)
_is(s)=sprintf('{/Symbol-Oblique %s}',s)

to put things together

set xlabel _is('m').'_0'._i('H')

Regards
Florian

sfeam wrote:
> Christoph Bersch wrote:

>>> I downloaded the most recent manual now. That page is damned brief,
>>> so I will keep the much more informative loose 2-page sheet I got
>>> from somewhere. It doesn't unfortunately tell me how to get
>>> maths-type italic greek symbols on a label
>> It is not so easy. I think, no one of the 35 standard Postscript fonts
>> has italic greek symbols (or I could not find them), so you must need
>> external postscript fonts.
>>
>> What you can do is to explicitely use external Postscript font files:
>>
>> set fontpath \
>>      "/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/mathdesign/mdput/"
>> set terminal postscript eps enhanced font ",20" \
>>      fontfile "md-utri7m.pfb"
>> set output 'sin.eps'
>> plot sin(x) t '{/MathDesign-UT-Regular-Italic-MathItalic-10 \15} =
>> 1.1'
>>

>> You can also use any other .pfb file (and you probably must adapt the
>> fontpath for your system).
>>
>> This method works well if you need only single letters, because the
>> kerning and hinting of the font does not work. I could not find a pfb
>> file containing italic greek symbols for use with times.
>>
>> Christoph
>
> From section 83.55.2 of the current manual, heading "Postscript fontfile":
>
> ==
> For example, including Type 1 font files can be used for including the
> postscript output in LaTeX documents. The "european computer modern" font
> (which is a variant of the "computer modern" font) is available in pfb format
> from any CTAN server, e.g.
> ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/
> For example, the file "sfrm1000.pfb" contains the normal upright fonts with
> serifs in the design size 10pt (font name "SFRM1000"). The computer modern
> fonts, which are still necessary for mathematics, are available from
> ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky
> With these you can use any character available in TeX. However, the computer
> modern fonts have a strange encoding. (This is why you should not use
> cmr10.pfb for text, but sfrm1000.pfb instead.) The usage of TeX fonts is
> shown in one of the demos. The file "ps fontfile doc.tex" in the /docs/psdoc
> subdirectory of the gnuplot source distribution contains a table with glyphs
> of the TeX mathfonts. If the font "CMEX10" is embedded (file "cmex10.pfb")
> gnuplot defines the additional font "CMEX10-Baseline". It is shifted
> vertically in order to fit better to the other glyphs (CMEX10 has its
> baseline at the top of the symbols).
> ==

0
Florian

graphic text style setting
Hi, before v6 I set the text style for all the graphics and plots in a notebook with one command at the beginning of the notebook, e.g. $TextStyle[{FontFamily -> "Arial", FontSize -> 16}]; In v6, that does not work anymore. How can I do such a thing in v6? thanks, joerg Hi, BaseStyle ma help: Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}, Frame -> True, FrameLabel -> {x, Sin[x]}, PlotLabel -> "A Label", BaseStyle -> {Large, FontFamily -> "Times", Italic}] Regards Jens Joerg Schaber wrote: > Hi, > > before v6...

latex label in mathematica graphics
Hi, Can anyone please tell how can I use Latex labels in Mathematica graphics. Purnendu Purnendu Check out the on-line help version of the Mathematica Book. Section 1.11.6 Generating and Importing Tex probably answers your question. Regards Mark Westwood On Dec 20, 10:37 am, "purnendu" <purnendu.chakrabo...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can anyone please tell how can I use Latex labels in Mathematica > graphics. > > Purnendu Hi, you can use Mathematicas typesetting features to label your graph. If you wish to use psfrag ...

Different text style for labels and ticks
Hi, I am wondering if it is possible to specify a different text style in a (Multiple)ListPlot for PlotLabel and Ticks. If I just use it like: TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Times", FontSize -> 14}, it affects all texts in the plot including PlotLabel, AxesLabel and Ticks. I would like Ticks to have a different TextStyle - need smaller characters there -, and PlotLabel to have bigger text, even bold. I tried Epilog - hoping that I can draw the PlotLabel after the plot is done - with no success. Thanks ahead, J�nos P.S. Here is one statemen...

LaTeX interpreter for axis label text
I am unhappy with the appearance of my axis label when I use the LaTeX interpreter in Matlab. ylabel('$\frac{F}{F_{min}}$','Interpreter','LaTex','FontSize',20) The fraction symbol is not evenly positioned between F and F_min. It appears directly underneath the F, making it look quite horrid. The interpreter also decides to position the F_max too close to y-axis numbers, distorting the alignment of 'ax' in F_max. Am I invoking the interpreter incorrectly somehow?? The same syntax in TeXWorks achieves exactly what I want.... Hi Matthias, Just wondering if you had any look with this? I have the same problem, especially with axis lables. What you are doing looks correct to me... Regards, Dom. "Matthias " <matthew.goddard@bcf.uni-freiburg.de> wrote in message <ik5sai$63u$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I am unhappy with the appearance of my axis label when I use the LaTeX interpreter in Matlab. > > ylabel('$\frac{F}{F_{min}}$','Interpreter','LaTex','FontSize',20) > > The fraction symbol is not evenly positioned between F and F_min. It appears directly underneath the F, making it look quite horrid. The interpreter also decides to position the F_max too close to y-axis numbers, distorting the alignment of 'ax' in F_max. > > Am I invoking the interpreter incorrectly somehow?? The same syntax in TeXWorks achieves exactly what I want.... ...

How to store graphics text in postscript in GNUplot
Hi All, We are trying to replace PV wave with GNUplot, and in the current PV wave code, it uses a lot of XYOUTS commands to output graphics text to a postscript file. Is there a suitable replacement for this in GNUplot ? I tried to go thru the documentation, but couldn't find one. TIA, Priyan Priyan wrote: > We are trying to replace PV wave with GNUplot, and in the current PV > wave code, it uses a lot of XYOUTS commands to output graphics text to > a postscript file. Is there a suitable replacement for this in GNUplot > ? I tried to go thru the documentation,...

change equation number style and with label text?
Hi, there! I have a problem to change equation style, I am also tired to check book. Could someone be able to give me this answer? My questions are follows: My section as I. INTRODUCTION .... equation one as X=A+B (I.1) .... I want to change (I.1) as (1.1) but I do not want to change I. INTRODUCTION as 1. INTRODUCTION. Could someone be able to tell me how to do??? The second problem is when I put some text more than one line as equation environment as general text here text text text text text text (1.2) general text here How to type this text more than one line with labe...

Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text?
Is it possible to cause a carriage return when using the ANNOTATE %LABEL macro, or the equivalent in ANNOTATE commands? For example, thinking that '0D'x was a carriage return, I tried %label(x,y,"Line 1"||'0D'x||"Line 2",black,0,0,3,simplex,5) but that didn't work. Is this possible to do? -- Paige Miller paige\dot\miller \at\ kodak\dot\com ...

RE: Different text style for labels and ticks
Janos, You could use StyleForm["label", options] for the PlotLabel to obtain the font you want there. Similarly, you could write your own Ticks or FrameTicks specification using StyleForm for the actual labels. The only trouble with writing your own Ticks specification is that it is a bit of a chore to get both the labeled and unlabeled ticks and get to get the completely unlabeled ticks on the opposite side of the frame. With DrawGraphics you could use the CustomTicks command along with the CTNumberFunction option to control the formatting and style of tick labels. ...

Aligning Labels: not the text but the label itself.
Here is my situation. I have multiple labels on a form but only certain ones will become visible while using the form. Depending on which check box(s) you pick, on another form, determines the labels that appear. I have that much working as of now. What I need to know is, how do I format the labels to align underneath one and other. So when I check the first check box, the corresponding label appears and when I check the third check box it's label appears directly underneath the first label leaving no gap or space for the invisible second label. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Than...

How do I programmatically set the label text on graphics with multiple scales?
I have graph with 2 Y scales. I can set the text label for the first one, but not the second one. The property only accepts a scalar string. You need to set the active Y scale (just expand the property node and make the other one the active Y scale property. If you have a sorted array of names just wire it into a for loop with the property node iside and the Y scale wired to the index of the loop. ...

RE: Different text style for labels and ticks #2
Hi Janos, > I am wondering if it is possible to specify a different text > style in a (Multiple)ListPlot for PlotLabel and Ticks. If I > just use it like: > > TextStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Times", FontSize -> 14}, > > it affects all texts in the plot including PlotLabel, > AxesLabel and Ticks. I would like Ticks to have a different > TextStyle - need smaller characters there -, and PlotLabel to > have bigger text, even bold. > > I tried Epilog - hoping that I can draw the PlotLabel after > the plot is done - wi...

Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text?
Have you tried using 'OA'x as well? Under Windows, the CR requires a LF character for completeness, which is different to Unix. So you may need to send the pair for this to work. I recall I had some grief getting the sequencing correct to send line breaks to text blocks in the Windows API message box. Kind regards David -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Paige Miller Sent: Tuesday, 17 July 2007 3:28 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? Is it possible to cause a carria...

placing graphics in latex in exactly a given position in the text
how can i force latex to place a graphic (figure in a pdf file) exactly in a given position, before the text continues ? with the command \begin{figure*}[h] \includegraphics{myfigure.pdf} \end[figure*} written text. it can happens that "written text" is displayed before teh figure, who is displayed in the next page. I want the figure exactly before "written text", even when a pagebreak occurs. The figure should not be numbered (figure*). THX Am Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:50:49 -0700 schrieb alessandro.bernardini.1979@gmail.com: > how can i force latex to place a graphic...

App like QuickKeys, only for graphics, not text (OS X)
In the olden days, OS-7 or OS-8, there was an application that could "recognize" part of an image, any sort of image. For example, if I had side-face views of twenty different people, it could recognize a particular shape of nose, and "stop" on that photo' as all the photo's flipped on the screen, one after the other. Actually, I could get that neat application to do anything that QuickKeys could do, once it recognized part of any graphic image. (pdf, Web page, anything) Do any old timers out there recall the name of that application? I am trying to run down ...

Making graph with gnuplot and editing text inside LaTeX
I built a graph with gnuplot and saved it as an eps file. One of the lines of the graph is x1y2 scaled while the remaining lines are x1y1. Trouble is: when I included the file into LaTeX, the labels modified by LaTeX , were printed twice. It seems LaTeX lost its marbles, unable of making a decision about which axes is the main one. Does anybody have a sugestion? Thaks for your time. Oscar Oscar Rotava wrote: > I built a graph with gnuplot and saved it as an eps file. One of the > lines of the graph is x1y2 scaled while the remaining lines are x1y1. > Trouble is: when I ...

Text mode subscripts too big in axis label (LaTeX interpreter)
If I have the axis label $x_\textrm{ABC}$, the ABC is way too big. I tried= $x_\textrm{\scriptsize ABC}$ and $x_\textrm{\tiny ABC}$, but that prevents= the LaTeX code from being interpretted (I end up seeing the raw code inste= ad of the formatted math). How does one shrink the subscript text size whe= n the subscript is a name that needs to be spelled in text mode? In article <e0641d76-84bd-4609-a62c-ff4ba82b2caf@googlegroups.com>, paul.domaskis@gmail.com wrote: > If I have the axis label $x_\textrm{ABC}$, the ABC is way too big. I tried > $x_\textrm{\scriptsize ...

Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? #2
Paige, The following doesn't answer your question, but does provide a work around: http://robslink.com/SAS/democd3/news_info.htm Art --------- On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:28:03 -0000, Paige Miller <paige.miller@KODAK.COM> wrote: >Is it possible to cause a carriage return when using the ANNOTATE >%LABEL macro, or the equivalent in ANNOTATE commands? > >For example, thinking that '0D'x was a carriage return, I tried > >%label(x,y,"Line 1"||'0D'x||"Line 2",black,0,0,3,simplex,5) > >but that didn't work. Is this possible to d...

Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? #3
I create multi-line labels using annotate data sets in SAS/Graph under Windows all the time using '0D0A'x as the line separator. Works fine. s/KAM ----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Tabachneck" <art297@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>; "(GVSUG) Mike Molter" <paige.miller@KODAK.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 20:27 Subject: Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? > Paige, > > The following doesn't answer your question, but does provide a work > around: > > http://robslink.com/SAS/democd...

Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? #5
Hello Ya and all, I'm very sorry, but I forgot one very important piece of information which makes this technique work for me while you are correct that it does NOT work directly in SAS/Graph. What I do is to export my SAS/Graph output as WMF, then import the results into Corel Draw, where I also bring in output from other sources and make further customizations and modifications. Once the SAS/Graph output is imported into Corel Draw, the CRLF characters have exactly the desired effect on the SAS/Graph labels, creating labels with multiple lines. However, I automate this process to a l...

Re: Carriage Return in %LABEL/Annotate Graphics text? #4
Hi Kevin, Are you sure it worked in SAS/Windows? I'm a bit surprised since I remember tested it before and it did not work. After seeing your post I test it again with the following little piece code: data anno; length function $8 text $40; retain xsys ysys '3'; function='label'; x=50; y=50; text='Break'||'0D0A'x||'it'; output; run; proc gplot data=sashelp.class; plot weight*age /annotate=anno; run; As you can see, it still does not work. It makes sense to me, since label function has another parameter 'position', which I believe is for a...

Making graph with gnuplot and editing text inside LaTeX #2
> Oscar Rotava wrote: >> I built a graph with gnuplot and saved it as an eps file. One of the >> lines of the graph is x1y2 scaled while the remaining lines are x1y1. >> Trouble is: when I included the file into LaTeX, the labels modified >> by LaTeX , were printed twice. It seems LaTeX lost its marbles, unable >> of making >> a decision about which axes is the main one. >I haven't understood what exactly you are doing/trying... >Could you please give your "set term" command and the way you >include the graphic into ...

Gnuplot broken on upgrade. Are "labels" not a default plot style?
Hi, We just had a server upgrade and I find now that some of my older gnuplot scripts no longer seem to work. I tested and I suspect its got something to do with those lines that are of the sort: "plot 't.txt' using 1:2:3......with labels" I googled a bit and it seems labels are not a default gnuplot functionality , is it? Or am I wrong? There was mention of a particular compile option.... Any advice on how I can check? I mean our system is run-of-the-mill Red Hat Enterprise and I was using the pre-packaged gnuplot. Can we modify it somehow? Thanks! ...

Using \label and \ref with a custom LaTeX list and legal-style numbering
Hi all, I'm trying to define custom LaTeX lists for legal-style numbering, which support cross-references with \label and \ref in the usual way. That is, at the top level, I would like: 1. 2. At the next level, I need 1.1 1.2 with the second index resetting when the current top level counter goes up. There may be further levels as well, but I don't think that's going to be relevant. I need the numbering to be "global", so that if I create multiple lists or sublists with ordinary paragraphs in between, the counters continue from the previous list or sub...

How to make sure that font style/size in graphics matches with text font/size?
Hi, I'm writing my phd thesis with pdfLaTeX (KOMA script package with "standard" serif fonts, 11 pt) and now have to create technical drawings, schemes and diagrams. (My thesis is about engineering, so there will have to be some technical drawings and sketches, flow charts and schemes, fotos and many many graphs... I'm writing on a PowerBook with OS X, but am also working on a PC with Windows XP.) I'm not sure what software to use to create (vector) graphics and how to ensure that font size and style look good with the text of the document... Should the text in the grap...

Web resources about - Latex-style label text - comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

Celebrity Big Brother sees housemates dress in S&M style latex, performing sexually explicit dances ...
Big Brother decided to shock viewers with a task which can only be given an 18 certificate.

Style Tracks: Why Kim Kardashian 'Forced' Her Family to Wear Latex : Video : People.com
Plus, Nicki Minaj's Instagram pics show off her new highlights, and we spy a flowery fashion trend

Why Nigella Lawson wears CSI-style latex gloves for preparing food
Nigella Lawson has donned CSI-style gloves as she prepared food in her latest BBC show Simply Nigella. She was cooking an Asian-flavoured rib ...