postscript terminal : no overline

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
terminal.

e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
have this listed.

-Bryan
0
Reply bryanlepore (24) 3/1/2011 8:23:34 PM

See related articles to this posting

bryan wrote:

> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.

The postscript terminal per se is not a problem.
PostScript itself, on the other hand....

Anyhow

The Unicode character COMBINING MACRON at code point 0304
or perhaps CONBINING OVERSCORE at code point 0305 should do
what you want.  There are instructions in the .../term/PostScript
subdirectly describing one way of persuading PostScript to accept
unicode characters.  So in case of desparation that would be one
way to go.  But it's painful.

It would be easier to use the pdfcairo terminal, which understands
UTF-8 natively, and then convert the output to PostScript if that
is really necessary.  The pdf2ps conversion program knows how to
dummy up a termporary encoding for single characters so that
PostScript can print them.

	Ethan

> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

0
Reply sfeam 3/1/2011 9:34:15 PM

On Mar 1, 9:23=A0pm, bryan <bryanlep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.
>
> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

Wasn't enhanced text mode invented to make things like this possible?

It's right there among the examples of 'help enhanced':

set term post enh
set out "test.ps"
set label 1 "~x{.8-}"  # <---- there
set out

P=E9ter Juh=E1sz
0
Reply ISO 3/3/2011 9:26:50 AM
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot 4828 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

epslatex terminal differs from postscript terminal
As the subject suggests, I'm wondering why exactly the epslatex terminal differs from the postscript terminal. So you might say "duh!" because after all this is what you want but hold it for a moment. Compare the results of the following script: set term epslatex color set out "test_epslatex.eps" test set term post eps color set out "test_posteps.eps" test At least my gnuplot (v4.0.0) produces only 4 colors when using the epslatex terminal and the pointypes are severly reduced as well. What is even worse - they are in a different order (pt...

Images in postscript terminal
The following code generates (gnuplot 4.3) a smooth density plot: set terminal postscript eps size 12cm, 8cm set out 'out.eps' plot '-' w image 0.1 0.9 0.2 0.3 0.9 0.4 0.5 0.9 0.6 0.7 0.9 0.8 0.9 0.9 1.0 0.1 0.7 0.16 0.3 0.7 0.32 0.5 0.7 0.48 0.7 0.7 0.64 0.9 0.7 0.8 0.1 0.5 0.12 0.3 0.5 0.24 0.5 0.5 0.36 0.7 0.5 0.48 0.9 0.5 0.6 0.1 0.3 0.08 0.3 0.3 0.16 0.5 0.3 0.24 0.7 0.3 0.32 0.9 0.3 0.4 0.1 0.1 0.04 0.3 0.1 0.08 0.5 0.1 0.12 0.7 0.1 0.16 0.9 0.1 0.2 But when I set terminal to png or gif, the image looks discrete. Is it possible to obtai...

replacement for terminal postscript
Hello, 60 minutes I made promotion for gnuplot and its incredible possibilities, then I got the kiss of death: How can I use the eps output in word? I'm an user of LaTeX and so I made promotion with the terminal postscript eps enhanced. The question: Which terminal is suitable for M$ products? I need the same output like postscript espacially the german specials umlaute. Is there a terminal with the features /Symbol, sub- and superscript, line feed /n? And can I use my batch files without any changes to get the same output - I try "png" with linetype 7 and got a b...

postscript enhanced terminal
Hi all, It seems that I have a little problem with the postscript enhanced feature. I have to produce a simple 2-D scatter plot and I'd like to have the names of the variables on the axis. Unfortunately the variable on the y-axis has a rather complex name: a Greek capital delta with a tilde on top. To be clear: something that in LaTeX would be written as \tilde{\Delta} Knowing that the "enhance" feature of various terminal drivers in gnuplot has been recently improved I decided to give it a try (not before carefully reading the output of the "help enhanced&qu...

arrow in postscript terminal
I am using gnuplot version 3.7 patchlevel 3 under windows 2000 and I am having trouble showing arrows in a postscript terminal. I tried the following: reset set size 1,0.5 set terminal postscript portrait enhanced set output 'test.eps' plot [0:10] sin(x) set arrow 1 from graph 0,0 to graph 5,0.5 head show arrow This doesn't give me an arrow in my graph. From the manual it seems that my input is correct. Am I missing something here? Greetings, Dan. Dan <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<bhsq27$bg3$1@news.tue.nl>... > I am using gnuplo...

postscript terminal, color lines
Hi I am trying to plot in a postscript file 3 curves (from data files), and I want color-solid lines as in the GNUplot default colors (Red, Green, Bue). The problem I have is that when i make the postscript I get lines as: solid-red, dash-green, dotted-blue. are there anyways to make color solid lines in a postscript, such as it is possible when terminal is "X11" or "windows"? Thanks for any help CA Hi CA, > are there anyways to make color solid lines in a postscript, such as it > is possible when terminal is "X11" or "window...

arrowheads too long in PostScript terminal
Consider the following: set term post eps enhanced color solid "Times-Italic" 15 set output 'c:\mydocs\math\function.R3.eps' set term windows; set output set label "problem?" at 1,1 point pt 7 offset 2,-2 set arrow from 0,1 to 1,1 front lw 3 plot [0:3][0:3] x Look close and it is clear that arrow head extends beyond the point (1,1). I.e., line width was not accounted for when the arrowhead was constructed. (Or perhaps just the mitre was neglected.) It is very odd that this is also true for the filled arrow head, but it is. I hazard a guess that the...

Abrupt termination of Postscript documents
Greetings all: I am having problems with printing Postscript documents with HP LJ printers, to be specific: --printer-- ---model--- ---connection--- A 5MP via RH 7.2 system B 1300N network C 4000 network The usual mode is that while I am looking at things in Mozilla on a RH 8.0 system, I save a document as PostScript. Later when I print it usually only the first or the first two pages are printed, and that's the end of the print job. If I look at the documents with "gv", everything ...

Font size postscript terminal
Hello all, I set up a postscript terminal with options eps enhanced and using the fontfile for european modern roman optimized for 10pt as suggested in the documentation. The problem now is, that using the postscript file in latex with includegraphics and no scaling the font is very small in comparison to the 10 pt latex font. To get approximately the same size I have to scale the font in gnuplot to 22 ("FSRM1000" 22). Is this normal? Where the differences in size come from? Volker In article <7803e304-ac7f-4d11-90c4-3ce7e5920318@c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Bl...

postscript terminal, ps_guide, symbols
Hello, I would like to set a greek symbol to the xlabel: set ylabel "x/{/Symbol m}m" In this case I get a Times Roman my. How can I get a Helvetica my? Best Regards Lars l-steinke@web.de wrote: > I would like to set a greek symbol to the xlabel: > set ylabel "x/{/Symbol m}m" > In this case I get a Times Roman my. You didn't. You got the my from the Symbol font, just as it said in the command. > How can I get a Helvetica my? If at all, not by referring to it as 'm' in font Symbol. If there's a my in your Helf...

postscript eps terminal and ylabel
Hello, I have a strange problem with the postscript driver I use gnuplot 4.0 (patchlevel 0) on solaris system. When I run: >set terminal postscript eps enhanced color blacktext >set output "toto.eps" >set ylabel 'MY LABEL' >plot x**2 Instead of a nicely rotated "MY LABEL" on the left of the chart in toto.eps, I got in ghostview something like L E B A L Y M Any clue? Many thanks St�phane In article <8f9174fd.0410090453.351e5a20@posting.google.com>, St?phane <stdecara@free.fr> wrote: I suspect the prob...

Display Postscript with MAC as X-terminal ?
I just read somewhere that current MACs come with Display Postcript, something they inherited from next. (heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone...) If that is the case, does this mean that one could still run applications such as DECwrite and the CDA viewer with the output going to a X-terminal on a MAC even though VMS no longer supports it ? Or must display postscript need to exist on both the client and server (in X parlance) ? There were two shared images on the client side that were removed: XDPS$DPSLIBSHR and XDPS$DPSCLIENTSHR. Therefore, you would ...

How to print newline in title (postscript terminal)?
Hi, I use set term postscript enhanced set title 'very_long long long title' I want to break the tile into multiple lines as it is too long to fit in one line. Would you please let me know how to do it? Thanks, Peng Peng Yu wrote: > I want to break the tile into multiple lines as it is too long to fit > in one line. Would you please let me know how to do it? set title "very_long long\nlong title" for details see help enhanced Tim ...

gnuplot terminal bug (postscript eps)
Hi, I have the following gnuplot script and data file, which generate an eps with error(gv it would give error, and epstopdf it would give errors too). The version is gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel rc1. Can somebody help to check if the latest version of gnuplot can generate the eps file correctly? If this bug is in the latest version, can somebody help to fix it. Thanks, Peng #### bug.gp######## set terminal postscript eps enhanced monochrome set output "bug.eps" set xrange [5:60] set yrange [5:60] # use the above ranges with result in error. # but it will be OK i...

Postscript terminal font embedding problems.
Hi all, while preparing postscript figures I encountered a problem I didn't get around yet. I want to embed fonts in an eps file. My system is cygwin W2k: G N U P L O T Version 4.1 patchlevel 0 last modified Sat Jul 3 00:04:32 CEST 2004 System: CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) The output of the set terminal is as expected: gnuplot> set terminal postscript eps enhanced monochrome 'Times-Roman' 20 fontfile 's050000l.pfb' fontfile 'n021003l.pfb' fontfile 'n021023l.pfb' Terminal type set to 'postscript' Font file 's050000l...

strange palette behavior for postscript terminal
Hello, i've got a problem with (probably) a palette settings using postscript terminal. I'm plotting a 2D map and i want to set a palette so that all bins with values equal to 0.0 are mapped by white color, and all the other (non-zero) values by some different color. I'm using Version 4.4 patchlevel 3 @ System: Linux 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i586. The example minimal script could be as following: ##### reset set view map set palette model RGB defined (0.0 "white", 0.0 "white", 0.0 "blue", 1.0 "blue") set term postscript set outpu...

How to type underscore in postscript enhanced terminal?
Hi, I'm wondering how to type an underscore in postscript enhanced terminal? Thanks, Peng set term postscript enhanced set xlabel "delta\_freq" On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:30:58 -0700, Peng Yu wrote: > Hi, > > I'm wondering how to type an underscore in postscript enhanced terminal? > > Thanks, > Peng > > set term postscript enhanced > set xlabel "delta\_freq" set xlabel 'delta\_freq' (single quotes) seems to work for me here. -- Lionel B In article <g4si06$23r$1@south.jnrs.ja.net>, Lionel B...

difference in output between postscript and pdf terminal
Hello, I runned the same gnuplot script with 2 different terminals: postscript and pdf. The output is significantly different. The postscript output is larger, the fontsizes are different, and so on. Why is this? It are 2 vctorformats. One should expect the output to be equal. Unfortionatly this is not the case. Any reason? Francky Francky Leyn wrote: > Hello, > > I runned the same gnuplot script with 2 different > terminals: postscript and pdf. The output is > significantly different. The postscript output is > larger, the fontsizes are different, a...

postscript/epslatex terminal and pattern fill
Hallo everybody, I have some questions to the active developers of gnuplot, especially Ethan A. Merrit regarding the pattern fill definitions in the postscript and epslatec terminal. (I am just trying to improve the epslatex terminal and stumbled on this point. And yes I know, there is a patch pending...) My impressions of the current status are (perhaps they are wrong): the epslatex terminal seems to use Poscript Level 1 pattern fill. In the postscript terminal there are several possibilities present in the source code: Postscript Level 1 patterns, Level 2 patterns and a pos...

arbitrary type1 Font for postscript terminal
Currently I am using Myriad in my Documents and would like to use it in the plot as well - instead of Helvetica. It is however not obvious to me (even after reading FAQ p.127ff) how this is done. It would be interesting not only for this font, but for any type1 Font. The Font is installed in the Linux and Latex System. Matthias In article <clb25q$38o$03$1@news.t-online.com>, Matthias Pospiech <matthiasPUNKTpospiech@gmx.de> wrote: >Currently I am using Myriad in my Documents and would like to use it in the >plot as well - instead of Helvetica. > >It i...

stacking symbols in terminal postscript enhanced
Hello! I use the enhanced postscript terminal, and I want to label axes with greek letters; is there a way to put two symbols above each other, like a bar over a delta? In other words, can I do something like \bar{\Delta} in the latex terminal? I tried using the sub/super scripts on empty space, but it looks awkward and never fits exactly. Any hints greatly appreciated! Thanks & regards from Vienna Johann Mitloehner Johann Mitloehner <mitloehn@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote: > Hello! I use the enhanced postscript terminal, and I want to label axes > with greek letter...

Wrong standard BoundingBox in terminal postscript eps
Hello, Recently I noticed a problem with the standard BoundingBox of the "terminal postscript eps". In the example below, the lower part of the letter "g" is already outside the BoundingBox. Although fixbb may be used to correct the box, it also changes all other borders leading to inconsistent left and right borders if applied to many files. Is there any known solution to automatically correct these problems? Is this behaviour considered to be a bug in gnuplot? I am using gnuplot version 4.2.3, but have also tested versions 4.2.0 and 4.0.0. Regards, J...

Math font in postscript eps enhanced terminal
Hi I want the "i" in the xlabel to typeset like $i$ in latex. Would you please let me know how to do that? Thanks, Peng set terminal postscript eps enhanced set xlabel "i" "PengYu.UT@gmail.com" <PengYu.UT@gmail.com> writes: > Hi > > I want the "i" in the xlabel to typeset like $i$ in latex. Would you > please let me know how to do that? > > Thanks, > Peng > > set terminal postscript eps enhanced > set xlabel "i" Not quite what you want, but try something like this: http://www...

postscript terminal cm-super font win32
Hello, I would like to use the cm-super-font SFRM1000: set term post enhanced fontfile 'sfrm1000.pfb' Error-Message: Automatic font conversion pfb->pfa not supported I am using: G N U P L O T Version 4.0 patchlevel 0 last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004 System: MS-Windows 32 bit Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004 Can you help me? Thanks, Lars In article <Xns94E3A56EE6F10larssteinketuclausth@195.20.224.116>, Lars Steinke <lars.steinke@tu-clausthal.de> wrote: > >set term post enhance...