postscript terminal : no overline

i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
terminal.

e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
have this listed.

-Bryan
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot 4907 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

bryan wrote:

> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.

The postscript terminal per se is not a problem.
PostScript itself, on the other hand....

Anyhow

The Unicode character COMBINING MACRON at code point 0304
or perhaps CONBINING OVERSCORE at code point 0305 should do
what you want.  There are instructions in the .../term/PostScript
subdirectly describing one way of persuading PostScript to accept
unicode characters.  So in case of desparation that would be one
way to go.  But it's painful.

It would be easier to use the pdfcairo terminal, which understands
UTF-8 natively, and then convert the output to PostScript if that
is really necessary.  The pdf2ps conversion program knows how to
dummy up a termporary encoding for single characters so that
PostScript can print them.

	Ethan

> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

0
sfeam
3/1/2011 9:34:15 PM
On Mar 1, 9:23=A0pm, bryan <bryanlep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.
>
> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

Wasn't enhanced text mode invented to make things like this possible?

It's right there among the examples of 'help enhanced':

set term post enh
set out "test.ps"
set label 1 "~x{.8-}"  # <---- there
set out

P=E9ter Juh=E1sz
0
ISO

Visual Basic + Open GL : the program stays in core after termination
I have a problem with Visual Basic + Open GL. All examples downloaded from the net carry examples where the graphic window is the only one active. But, as is the normal case with applications, the graphic Open_GL window is not the only one in the project which is active at the same time. It happens that, in spite of doing the regular procedure to terminate the program, it still stays in core. I can see through the Task Manager, and I have to 'force termination' there. I have to say that I have modified the examples, so that the 'Main' form is the one of the main proj...

inverted colors in postscript
Dear gnuplotters, I have a problem with inverted colors in postscript terminal. I want to plot a datafile given in matrix format. I want to plot it in gray scale, but I want to scale the colors by a square root function to highlight small values I have in the data. This is how I try to do it (using gnuplot 4.0 patchlevel 0): set pm3d corners2color c1 map set size square f(gray) = g**0.125 set palette model HSV functions 1,f(gray),0 splot [0:30][0:30] "results.dat" matrix with lines lt 0 This works fine on the x11 terminal, but when I switch to postscript output, all...

Reverse stacking PostScript
Has anyone created a 'hack' that will reverse the page order of a PostScript file? I have a typical inkjet printer and like all (?) common inkjet printer the pages are stacked face up. This means that the last page printed is on top. It is somewhat tiresome to reverse the pages. This is mainly a program with output from Mozilla and a2ps, since dvips does have a -r option. \/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: heller@cs.umass.edu http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || heller@deepsoft.com http://www.deepsoft.com ...

extracting postscript from a PPD file
Hi all, I'd like some general advice on the correct way to extract bits of postscript from a PPD file. We have our own home-grown filters which do this, and have worked fine (with LPRng) up until now with all HP printers, however it doesn't seem to work quite as well with a Xerox Phaser 4400DT that I'm playing with. Specifically, I want users to be able to force the job to be single-sided (the printer itself defaults to duplex). Looking in the ppd file for the Xerox Phaser 4400DT, we have: *Duplex None/Off: " <</Duplex false /Tumble false>> xerox$pagedevic...

postscript and transparency?
Hi, I know it may sound like stupid question, but is it possible in any way to keep tranparency in postscript file. Not in pdf exported from application but in ps file printed via ps-driver? Don't kill me ;-) Sorry for my english -- Best regards Tomasz Recently, tomek <tomasz_usenet@vp.pl> posted: > Hi, > I know it may sound like stupid question, but is it possible in any > way to keep tranparency in postscript file. Not in pdf exported from > application but in ps file printed via ps-driver? > In a word, no. One way to think of a PostScript file is as a flat,...

Terminal and X11 Startup Error Messages
Upon startup both Terminal and X11 display this message: "tcsh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory." Both utilities then proceed to operate without a glitch. I did not delete init.csh either intentionally or accidentally. So what's up!? Thanks, Davoud -- usenet *at* davidillig dawt com On 2007-03-26 20:59:55 -0500, Davoud <star@sky.net> said: > Upon startup both Terminal and X11 display this message: > "tcsh: /sw/bin/init.csh: No such file or directory." > > Both utilities then proceed to operate without a glitch. > > I did n...

Wget hangs: process never terminates
Hello all. I use wget in a a shell script to do some offsite backup stuff, so the script is kicked off using cron. However, ever time - wget hangs in the middle of downloading a file! The result is, I get a partially downloaded file and the cron job NEVER terminates. I ran just the wget command from a shell with degug output to see what I could see, but nothing of interest is shown! It shows the dl progress, then sometime in the middle (arbitrary) - wget just hangs... the estimated time goes to infinity and file never completes and wget does not terminate!! After I Ctrl-C, then re-run wget wi...

Can't get pcap file scanner to terminate normally
I'm using pcapy to scan a packet capture file. I've tried a variety of tests to end the loop at EOF, but can't seem to avoid the program terminating with a pcapy.PcapError. I've tested for empty lists (while Raw == [] or Passed == []:) and strings (while Raw ==""] or Passed == "":) as well as the test in the sample below. while Raw and Passed : if Raw_IP != Passed_IP: Dropped.dump(Raw_hdr, Raw_data) else: Passed_hdr, Passed_data = Passed.next() Raw_hdr, Raw_data = Raw.next() ...

%%[Error: invalid font;PostScript program did not contain a font]%%
Has anyone seen this message from Acrobat (perhaps Acrobat 7.0) or an Acrobat plug-in? I realise it looks like a PostScript error, but it is a pop up message which appears in Acrobat 7.0. It is a Windows message with no caption, just an OK button. ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them. Aandi Inston wrote: > Has anyone seen this message from Acrobat (perhaps Acrobat 7.0) or an > Acrobat plug-in? > > I realise it looks like a PostScript error, but it is a pop up message > which appears ...

Simh terminal lines and networking with VMS
Is annyone using simh with physical terminal devices mapped to incoming telnet on the host OS? If so do you have reliable emulated modem control to ensure drop of sessions on network problems? Simh emulates both the dzv11 (tt) and dhq11 (tx) both with optional emulated modem control so that VMS can both signal a hangup (drop incoming telnet) and respond to a telnet disconnect. Now I want to be able to telnet into the emulated VAX from the outside world so that's why I need reliable hangup. It might only be an emulated system but I'd rather not have some random user telnet in a...

F77 postscript subroutine
I have an elementary question about using psplot as a subroutine within a f77 program. I've searched the web but couldn't find anything helpful. I have no problem running psplot as a standalone executable for example: g77 onehalf3d.f -lpsplot -o onehalf3d.exe where executing onehalf3d.exe will generate onehalf3d.ps. However, if I rewrite onehalf3d.f as a subroutine, say PSplot(), and call it from within my application as for example: g77 TA1Main.f onehalf3d.f -lpsplot -o TA1.exe it will compile and link without errors but will not generate the corresponding .ps f...

Getting the "Get Info" file Version Info from within the OSX Terminal
Hopefully that subject makes sense... I want to write a Unix script for the terminal that will get the same file version info you see when you use the "Get Info" command in OS X. This would be for versions of a group of similar files in a directory. Then ultimately put this into a text file (the file name and version). I assumed there would some form of unix command to do this, but I am not finding anything. Can anyone offer any advice on how to approach this. My current development skills are limited to basic unix scripting. Thanks for any help! In article &...

Vintage terminal tektronix graphics display 4225
Hi Folks, I had the chance to purchase by auction this old terminal. But I'can't find any documentation or operator's manual about this item. Is there anyone to help me? Andreas [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup] "Andreas H�rtel" <andreas@haertel-net.de> spake the secret code <he3vrm$n0r$1@online.de> thusly: >I had the chance to purchase by auction this old terminal. But I'can't find >any documentation or operator's manual about this item. I have 40x0 terminals and 41x0 terminals, but no 42x0 termi...

success with 9vx from a terminal
Last night I downloaded 9vx. It works fine from a terminal, using the following invocation: .../9vx.Linux -g -u glenda where -g is the option to run sans GUI. This has one or two complications. There is no way to interrupt or kill the foreground process. Instead, ctrl-c interrupts 9vx itself. Anyway, I managed to get an emulated Plan 9 system up and running. Both ed and "sam -d" work well for editing text. -- Chris ------=_Part_31413_4134891.1224694495640 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline > This has one or two...

convert postscript jop to non-postscript printer
How can I submit a postscript jop to an HP printer that support only PCL. Mine is 6L laserjst,Sol 8 x86. Thanks. On 17 Feb 2004 05:04:38 -0800, hpy_awad@yahoo.com wrote: > How can I submit a postscript jop to an HP printer that support only > PCL. Mine is 6L laserjst,Sol 8 x86. Thanks. Use ghostscript: http://faq.solaris-x86.org/6.html#6.4 Regards, Michael it is said in the FAQ use Ghostscript driver . Where can I install Ghostscript driver for HP LJ 6L. On 19 Feb 2004 07:36:16 -0800, hpy_awad@yahoo.com wrote: > it is said in the FAQ use Ghostscript driver . Where can I install...

Terminator 2 "morphing" effect, anyone?
Is it possible to create a Terminator 2 "morphing" effect? I have seen this done with paint programs, and want to know if it's possible with the Corel suite of programs, and of course how. Thanks for the advice. Found a helpful guide at http://www.cedesign.com/html/metal.html (actually, found it via a google groups search). Still having trouble getting rid of some of the noise it has me create. I'll try various settings, but any more advice is always appreciated. Thanks again! "ConTactMe" <contactme@NOSPAMspvision.com> wrote in message news:LzmQa.95145$b...

Terminal command to close terminal
Is there a command that can be used when using terminal to close current terminal window ? In windows you can use the 'exit' command which will close the current window. Olly -- Managed online backup services G2 Support www.g2support.com/backups Get a free trial today www.g2support.com/downloads Oliver Marshall wrote: > Is there a command that can be used when using terminal to close > current terminal window ? > > In windows you can use the 'exit' command which will close the current > window. 'exit' should work, as well as ctrl+d (cmd+w also work...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fo...

Virtual PostScript Printer and RDC
RDC requires a PostScript printer. I have a Canon i9100, which is not. However, OS X allows you to create a virtual PostScript printer, and sure enough, RDC finds it. I had to use generic because Canon is not in the dropdown. However, if you print to the virtual postscript device, where does it go; how do you route it to your actual printer? It doesn't get there automatically. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 rbpeirce@adelphia.net [Mac] rbp@cooksonpeirce.com [Office] ...

Fast PostScript RIP
I'm working on a project that requires a very fast PostScript RIP. Does anyone have any experience that they can share benchmarking the Ghostscript, JAWS and Harlequin RIPs for outright RIP throughput including interpretation and rasterization? For comparison's sake I'm assuming the same exact hardware for each. Will I get a speed benefit from the raw RIP itself? Thanks for any insight. John Stewart Ten Technologies ...

Printing returns Postscript code?
I am trying to print to a variety of Ricoh printers. A 1232C, 650 and a 220. The 650 has a postscript card the 1232C does not. After several unsuccessful attempts to compile ghostscript on the mac I tried printing to both printers. For the 650 I have tried appletalk and through the windows printing option built in to the Mac 10.3.8. With the 1232 through Samba and through windows printing. The only information I can get out of either printer is %!PS-Adobe-3.0%APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8 and it prints tons of blank pages. What do I have to do to get this working. I can't even pri...

odd behavior with postscript driver
I'm using Matlab 7.0.0.19901 (R14) on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3. I'm trying to label the axes on my figure with the Angstrom symbol. Say for example, if I want "distance [A]" on the x-axis (where "A" is actually the Angstrom symbol), I'm using the command xlabel(['distance [' char(197) ']']) It looks fine on the figure window, and it looks fine when I print it using other drivers such as the tiff driver. But when I use the postscript drivers, I get an extra space after the Angstrom symbol, so it looks something like "distance [A ]"...

Mac Terminal issue: compile command not found
Hello! I am not a geek (yet!); just getting started. Trying to perform first task = from the textbook: Xcode works, Terminal opens and partially works, but doe= s not execute compile command. I have tried different options. Please, take= a look at the steps; what is my mistake? 128-68-198-68:GetStarted Alla$ open CS50PSET1.c 128-68-198-68:GetStarted Alla$ gcc CS50PSET1.c -bash: gcc: command not found 128-68-198-68:GetStarted Alla$ cc CS50PSET1.c -bash: cc: command not found 128-68-198-68:GetStarted Alla$ gcc CS50PSET1.c -o CS50PSET1 -bash: gcc: command not found 128-68-198-68:...

Lexmark PostScript drivers
I've got a couple of Lexmark printers - an Optra Color 40 and an E312. Both seem to work fine with the Lexmark PCL driver, but with the PostScript driver, both of them fail to print from either Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox. They print from PMView Pro and from Lotus SmartSuite. I don't happen to have the version numbers handy, but I'm pretty sure that they are the latest (last?) drivers from Lexmark. I'm printing through a NetGear print server (PS110). I'm running Warp MCP2 with the latest updates/FixPaks. Any ideas? Thanks. -- Oh, where, oh, where has ...

How much RAM for a Postscript printer?
I'm looking to buy a cheap printer for home use, which will not get much use (400 pages/month). However, since 99% of the time I run UNIX (Solaris to be precise), that makes using an Inject a pain in the butt. I have used one before, running on the parallel port with Ghostscript doing the Postscript to Epson ESC2 language, but it is a pain. So I'm looking at a Postscript printer. I'm considering the OKI 4350NPS, as that is one of the cheaper ones that has both ethernet and postscript. A few things I have read on the web suggest it is reasonable. Two questions. 1) Any comm...