postscript terminal : no overline

i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
terminal.

e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
have this listed.

-Bryan
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot 4978 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

bryan wrote:

> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.

The postscript terminal per se is not a problem.
PostScript itself, on the other hand....

Anyhow

The Unicode character COMBINING MACRON at code point 0304
or perhaps CONBINING OVERSCORE at code point 0305 should do
what you want.  There are instructions in the .../term/PostScript
subdirectly describing one way of persuading PostScript to accept
unicode characters.  So in case of desparation that would be one
way to go.  But it's painful.

It would be easier to use the pdfcairo terminal, which understands
UTF-8 natively, and then convert the output to PostScript if that
is really necessary.  The pdf2ps conversion program knows how to
dummy up a termporary encoding for single characters so that
PostScript can print them.

	Ethan

> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

0
sfeam
3/1/2011 9:34:15 PM
On Mar 1, 9:23=A0pm, bryan <bryanlep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i gather that an overline is not possible with the postscript
> terminal.
>
> e.g. in LaTeX, $\overline{x}$ gives you "xbar". ps_guide.ps doesn't
> have this listed.
>
> -Bryan

Wasn't enhanced text mode invented to make things like this possible?

It's right there among the examples of 'help enhanced':

set term post enh
set out "test.ps"
set label 1 "~x{.8-}"  # <---- there
set out

P=E9ter Juh=E1sz
0
ISO

gnuplot terminal bug (postscript eps)
Hi, I have the following gnuplot script and data file, which generate an eps with error(gv it would give error, and epstopdf it would give errors too). The version is gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel rc1. Can somebody help to check if the latest version of gnuplot can generate the eps file correctly? If this bug is in the latest version, can somebody help to fix it. Thanks, Peng #### bug.gp######## set terminal postscript eps enhanced monochrome set output "bug.eps" set xrange [5:60] set yrange [5:60] # use the above ranges with result in error. # but it will be OK i...

How to store graphics text in postscript in GNUplot
Hi All, We are trying to replace PV wave with GNUplot, and in the current PV wave code, it uses a lot of XYOUTS commands to output graphics text to a postscript file. Is there a suitable replacement for this in GNUplot ? I tried to go thru the documentation, but couldn't find one. TIA, Priyan Priyan wrote: > We are trying to replace PV wave with GNUplot, and in the current PV > wave code, it uses a lot of XYOUTS commands to output graphics text to > a postscript file. Is there a suitable replacement for this in GNUplot > ? I tried to go thru the documentation,...

epslatex terminal differs from postscript terminal
As the subject suggests, I'm wondering why exactly the epslatex terminal differs from the postscript terminal. So you might say "duh!" because after all this is what you want but hold it for a moment. Compare the results of the following script: set term epslatex color set out "test_epslatex.eps" test set term post eps color set out "test_posteps.eps" test At least my gnuplot (v4.0.0) produces only 4 colors when using the epslatex terminal and the pointypes are severly reduced as well. What is even worse - they are in a different order (pt...

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

graphical terminals
All the thin client groups look like RDP so I gave them a miss. Think of tek4014 with raster frame buffer and ethernet so SunRay sort of fits. Srone <http://www.du-ra.com/srone/> is experimental SunRay server software. Like rdesktop is a vnc derived client srone is a vnc derived server (in non-X terminology). SunRay is a thin client that uses a proprietary protocol used over UDP. Though they work well with Solaris they would work better with Linux. The problem I have is X in Debian has gone through some big changes and I have had trouble getting vnc and srone to buil...

Terminal app
Hi,I am trying to code a terminal application. I would like to know ifthere is "something" I can use from the java Api to avoid redrawingall the characters on the screen.thanks On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 02:45:26 -0800 (PST), mnml wrote:> I am trying to code a terminal application. I would like to know if> there is "something" I can use from the java Api to avoid redrawing> all the characters on the screen.Most terminal applications never need to redraw the whole screen oreven parts of it. Maybe you had something more advanced in mind than aline-based application?From an ...

terminal.app
Not sure if others have noticed this but the included terminal.app with mac os x 10.3 seems very slow and laggy. I ssh into my webserver a lot from my powerbook and when typing sometimes it falls behind and then all of a sudden catches up. No other clients suffer this behavior so I'm guessing it's related to some setting on my mac or on terminal.app Anybody have this issue? How did you fix it or did you switch terminal programs? Any advice welcomed! In article <slrnct11dk.q41.scott@turncoat.area420.net>, Scott Eberl wrote: > Not sure if others have noticed this but the incl...

Advantages of Swing / J2EE App vs. Terminal Based App
I am in the process of developing an application in Swing / J2EE as an alternative to an application that is terminal based (like Edit in MS-DOS etc). I am aware of the benefits intuitively, but would be interested to see if anyone has material that makes an objective case for a swing based UI vs terminal based. John "John" <no@email> wrote in message news:4289cdca$0$24467$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk... > I am in the process of developing an application in Swing / J2EE as an > alternative to an application that is terminal based (like Edit in > MS-DOS etc). > ...

GNUPLOT compilation : enabling x11 terminal support when compiling gnuplot for CYGWIN
Hi, I'm willing to use x11 terminal of gnuplot in a cygwin environment. So, I tryed to compile gnuplot (3.7.3) and it worked well. The only problem is that with this version, I don't have any x11 terminal so that gnuplot is not easy to use! I haerd that I had to build it setuid in order to get the x11 driver. I don't know how it is done? (Rem : with cygwin, I don't have the user root) (cygwin is version 1.5.5) Emmanuel Favre-Nicolin <manu_favre@yahoo.com> wrote: > The only problem is that with this version, I don't have any x11 > ...

pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal error message when trying to start an X app remotely via ssh
greetings i'm trying to run a remote X app via ssh by assigning a function key. the command is the following: /path/to/ssh -t user@server "/path/to/remote_app" > /tmp/file 2>&1 the error messages i get are: pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal select: Invalid argument client is openssh3.6.1p2 and server is openssh3.5p1. i'm using public key auth. from the server side it looks like the client is terminating the connection. the DISPLAY is being passed and set correctly on the server side. when running script from command line it run...

Terminal app for WinXP?
What is a good substitute for Hyperterminal? I can't get it to go 7E1 on one of my XP laptops. Hyperterminal works well on some of my older machines; win 3.11, but these machines are getting long in the tooth. Bill Taylor Bill Taylor wrote: > What is a good substitute for Hyperterminal? I can't get it to go 7E1 > on one of my XP laptops. Hyperterminal works well on some of my older > machines; win 3.11, but these machines are getting long in the tooth. > Bill Taylor Bill: If the terminal application in windows 3.11 (TERMINAL.EXE???) does what you need...

arrow in postscript terminal
I am using gnuplot version 3.7 patchlevel 3 under windows 2000 and I am having trouble showing arrows in a postscript terminal. I tried the following: reset set size 1,0.5 set terminal postscript portrait enhanced set output 'test.eps' plot [0:10] sin(x) set arrow 1 from graph 0,0 to graph 5,0.5 head show arrow This doesn't give me an arrow in my graph. From the manual it seems that my input is correct. Am I missing something here? Greetings, Dan. Dan <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<bhsq27$bg3$1@news.tue.nl>... > I am using gnuplo...

Graphical APPS replacement
Someone emailed me to tell me my icon choose utility wasn't working. Shucks. Anyway, I finally got around to making an APPS replacement using the internal rom calls to get any user added items in the APPS menu. So there is now a new command in the library called IAPPS that will display an icon form of the APPS menu, as well as any user added programs in the STAT menu, NSOLVE menu, or FINANCE menu. I'd like to make some nice little icons to put in there to make it into a true replacement, and possibly change/expand the order and content of the standard APPS menu, but I am fresh out o...

terminal.app not working as it was
Hi all, I am not sure how this came about but when I load Terminal.app I get the following: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal; exit lorenz:~ cy$ /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal; exit 2009-12-31 09:28:09.940 Terminal[991] CFLog (0): CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port = 0x2e03, name = 'com.apple.Terminal.ServiceProvider' See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes. 2009-12-31 09:28:09.944 Terminal[991] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port ...

install Terminal.app
We have a mac which (for reasons that are a mystery to me, but various people who don't know much about computers have had admin access on that machine) is missing Terminal.app. It is running 10.3, and we have the install disks. What I'm wondering is: is there a way to install Terminal without reinstalling the whole OS? Thanks! Doug Anderson wrote: > We have a mac which (for reasons that are a mystery to me, but various > people who don't know much about computers have had admin access on > that machine) is missing Terminal.app. It is running 10.3, and we > have ...

Terminal app damaged?
I'm a new mac user, just come over from the Dark Side. I've had my G5 less than a month. I just got back from a 2 1/2 week vacation, powered up, installed updates (since I'd heard there was an important security update) and now when I bring up the terminal app I get that the application is damaged or incomplete. Can I reinstall this application? How? A quick search on the Apple web site did not help, although I can call them. And any resource recomendations for a newbie? -- Julie ********** Check out my Travel Pages (non-commercial) at http://www.dragonsholm.org/trave...

Graphics Mapping App?
Are there any OS/2 apps running -- besides XAct -- which would be able to plot a data set on a map background given geographical coordinates? Anything from Unix/Linux which has been cross-compiled? It is not necessary the data is displayed on the monitor but rather that a standard graphics output file is created which can then be used by another application. TIA. Do you count Java apps? <www.cohort.com> CoPlot runs on OS/2 (I tried it) and seems to have facilities for plotting on maps (Orthographic, Mercator, and Conic) Actually, 1-2-3 also handles maps, it may do what you wan...

Images in postscript terminal
The following code generates (gnuplot 4.3) a smooth density plot: set terminal postscript eps size 12cm, 8cm set out 'out.eps' plot '-' w image 0.1 0.9 0.2 0.3 0.9 0.4 0.5 0.9 0.6 0.7 0.9 0.8 0.9 0.9 1.0 0.1 0.7 0.16 0.3 0.7 0.32 0.5 0.7 0.48 0.7 0.7 0.64 0.9 0.7 0.8 0.1 0.5 0.12 0.3 0.5 0.24 0.5 0.5 0.36 0.7 0.5 0.48 0.9 0.5 0.6 0.1 0.3 0.08 0.3 0.3 0.16 0.5 0.3 0.24 0.7 0.3 0.32 0.9 0.3 0.4 0.1 0.1 0.04 0.3 0.1 0.08 0.5 0.1 0.12 0.7 0.1 0.16 0.9 0.1 0.2 But when I set terminal to png or gif, the image looks discrete. Is it possible to obtai...

Checking who terminate app...
Hello everone! =) I'm using BDS 2006 as compiler and writing with VCL. idk how to check who close form user or system? If user do it I will minimize programm and if system - close. Please give me a piece of code that do so check. Thanks you a lot. ...

IDL postscript graphics
hi everyone, i am trying to print a 3D image in postscript format. I used to get the image and print the image into ps just the way i would print it as jpeg. but i found the quality is not good at all. Dr. Fanning suggested to use IDLgrClipboard and i am using the following code (most of the code were continued on from previous programmer): name=getinput('Enter File Name') file=dialog_pickfile(title='please select a directory',/directory) IF file EQ '' THEN RETURN ; Reconstruct the color table: TVLCT, r,g,b, /GET filename = file + name + '.ps'...

Terminal Emulator App
I am writing a terminal emulator in tcl/tk which communicates via a serial link with a microcontroller development board. it is unusual because of the microcontroller monitor programme comtrolling the other end of the serial link. When the terminal sends a character, the monitor expects the terminal to *wait* until the monitor has echoed the character before sending another. The monitor may also send streams of data to the terminal. The logic of this is not hard to deal with but it would be simplest if I had an event triggered whenever a character is received. A simple flag set by sending a...

postscript enhanced terminal
Hi all, It seems that I have a little problem with the postscript enhanced feature. I have to produce a simple 2-D scatter plot and I'd like to have the names of the variables on the axis. Unfortunately the variable on the y-axis has a rather complex name: a Greek capital delta with a tilde on top. To be clear: something that in LaTeX would be written as \tilde{\Delta} Knowing that the "enhance" feature of various terminal drivers in gnuplot has been recently improved I decided to give it a try (not before carefully reading the output of the "help enhanced&qu...

request for Terminal.app
hi All I have mistakenly deleted the native Terminal.app from my Mac book pro. I am running OS X (Mac OS X 10.4.8 / Kernel Version: Darwin 8.8.1). I would be very thankful it if some one could zip and send me a copy of their Terminal.app to my email hypermails@gmail.com. I realize backups/ restore CD etc.. and since I don't have any of those to go with, I am making this request. If you can send, please help me out. I need the Terminal.app (applications -> Utility -> Terminal) for Intel Core Duo OS X 10.4.8 Tiger. thx hm On 19 Feb 2007 10:35:06 -0800, User wrote: > hi All...

terminal.app not orking as it was
Hi all, I am not sure how this came about but when I load Terminal.app I get the following: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal; exit lorenz:~ cy$ /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal; exit 2009-12-31 09:28:09.940 Terminal[991] CFLog (0): CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port = 0x2e03, name = 'com.apple.Terminal.ServiceProvider' See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes. 2009-12-31 09:28:09.944 Terminal[991] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port (com....

Web resources about - postscript terminal : no overline - comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Pitch Perfect 2 is an encore, a postscript, and a fresh start all at once
The movie sometimes feels like half a season of Pitch Perfect: The Series edited down to feature length.

Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins
Postscript from Albany at Johns Hopkins

Sunday Classics postscript: Poor Arthur Sullivan never knew how well he had succeeded as a "serious" ...
... waste your time and mine with bad performances, but at some point we may have to do it. I thought about doing it again for this little "postscript," ...