Geforce 6800 Ultra HPDT and Subsurface Scattering demos

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

The Geforce 6800 Ultra is capable of HPDT (OpenEXR HDRI) at 60 frames
per second (13MB):

ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/Movies/NV40-LowRes-Clips/HDR.avi

and subsurface scattering with the same model:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/images/subsurface-scatter.jpg

These tech demos will probably become available as run-time
executables after the GF6800 Ultra cards begin shipping.
0
Reply cgfx4d 5/1/2004 11:18:59 PM

See related articles to this posting

cgfx4d@yahoo.com (cgfx4d) wrote in message news:<
> and subsurface scattering with the same model:
>
> http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/images/subsurface-scatter.jpg

That's mildly interesting, tomshardware broke the link to the image.
Here is a better source for that image plus other examples in a
presentation Nvidia gave at GDC 2004:

http://download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/GDC_2004/GDC_2004_TranslucentAnimatedObjects.pdf
0
Reply cgfx4d 5/2/2004 6:26:20 PM
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave 3062 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

GeForce 6800 Ultra
Does anyone use the GeForce 6800 Ultra video card? does it work good, any issuses? We want to try 1 since they are cheaper tha quadro's but have 256mg ram and are powerfull thanks for any feed back Greif Greif, 256 megs of video ram won't benefit you much with SW. 128 is all that's really needed, even with Photoworks. Modern 3D games (which is what the card is meant for) "do" need alot. Unless you can hack the driver to use a unified back buffer, SW OpenGL will only be able to use a small portion of it anyway. This is one of the reasons you get multiple window slowd...

GeForce 6800 Nalu demo
Nvidia has a movie of their mermaid Nalu demo running on the GeForce 6800 Ultra. Right now, it is just a movie of it running (and rather crappy quality) but they will probably be issuing the run-time executable as the GeForce 6800 cards start hitting the shelves in a few weeks. The character is reported to have somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 polygons with all dynamic motion and lighting running in near real time. This is the level expected for next generation game graphics. The crossover point where near real time game graphics match or exceed pre-rendered film graphics is getting close...

SFF case for Geforce 6800 Ultra?
I have a Geforce 6800 Ultra video card. It's two slots thick and very deep - the largest graphics card I've ever seen... Do I have any hope of fitting this enormous card into a Shuttle-style case? Mike ...

GeForce 6800 Ultra has 222 million transistors
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15268 Geforce 6800 Ultra has 222 million transistors Sheesh kebab By Fuad Abazovic: Saturday 10 April 2004, 11:26 NEXT WEEK is when Nvidia's hammer strikes the forge and NV40 sparks fly. We already know a fair amount of what Nvidia will reveal on the 13th in San Francisco and on the 14th in the land of chocolate and cuckoos. 16�1 and 32�0 no Z values is what Nvidia wants to tell people and 12353 3D marks 03 for the chip that has an amazing 222 million transistors. As we said before Nvidia will push hard the fact that it is the only firm that wi...

Quadro 1300 Vs GeForce 6800 ultras
I dont know if this is the right place to post this. What is the right card if one wants to implement algorithms in "graphics hardware". What are the major differences in these two cards if i want to use these cards as CPUs for my streaming algorithms. Thanks, --j On 17/9/04 3:02 am, in article cidgjv$rhv@odak26.prod.google.com, "John" <weekender_ny@yahoo.com> wrote: > What is the right card if one wants to implement > algorithms in "graphics hardware". What are the > major differences in these two cards if i want > to use these cards as C...

GeForce 6800 Ultra has 222 million transistors
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15268 Geforce 6800 Ultra has 222 million transistors Sheesh kebab By Fuad Abazovic: Saturday 10 April 2004, 11:26 NEXT WEEK is when Nvidia's hammer strikes the forge and NV40 sparks fly. We already know a fair amount of what Nvidia will reveal on the 13th in San Francisco and on the 14th in the land of chocolate and cuckoos. 16�1 and 32�0 no Z values is what Nvidia wants to tell people and 12353 3D marks 03 for the chip that has an amazing 222 million transistors. As we said before Nvidia will push hard the fact that it is the only firm that wi...

GeForce 6800 Ultra & Dual-Link DVI Output
I'm planning on getting a Dell 30" LCD (3007WFP) which requires a dual-link DVI interface to drive its native 2560x1600 resolution. Does anyone know of a tool or technique to verify if a DVI card is capable of dual-link DVI output provided it has the proper cabling? I have a Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (NV40) card with 256MB DDR-3 with two DVI connectors and each DVI connector seems to have the full complement of pins for dual link. But does that mean it actually is capable of dual-link output? It would be great to have two 30" LCD panels connected to this! :) Thanks...

GeForce 6800 Ultra & Dual-Link DVI Output
I'm planning on getting a Dell 30" LCD (3007WFP) which requires a dual-link DVI interface to drive its native 2560x1600 resolution. Does anyone know of a tool or technique to verify if a DVI card is capable of dual-link DVI output provided it has the proper cabling? I have a Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (NV40) card with 256MB DDR-3 with two DVI connectors and each DVI connector seems to have the full complement of pins for dual link. But does that mean it actually is capable of dual-link output? It would be great to have two 30" LCD panels connected to this! :) Thanks...

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
Since I've upgraded my PC, I can no longer launch LOMAC, IL-2, IL-2 Forgotten Battles, Falcon 4.0, and Mig Alley. Any time I try launching these (either from the hard drive or the disk, I see the Windows hourglass followed by the program's main title startup screen, and then I'm back to the desktop. When I check task manager, nothing new is running in the background. I've played around with various graphics settings and have also tried shutting down all unnecessary programs, but still no luck. I've even tried minimizing all grahics and audio settings. My non-Sim pr...

Turn your 6800 into a 6800 Ultra
http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&no=39 On 29 Sep 2004 10:25:45 -0700, viktordavros@lycos.com (Viktor Davros) wrote: >http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&no=39 ROTFLM*O and that's without bothering to read the reference............ John Lewis ...

GeForce 6800
I am looking for a new vid card and was thinking about the GeForce 6800. Are flightsims (like falcon) cool with this card? Thanks in advance. -- gcisko@hotmail.com "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5KmdnQmsBOJEKzvcRVn-vw@comcast.com... > I am looking for a new vid card and was thinking about the GeForce 6800. > Are flightsims (like falcon) cool with this card? Can you afford the 6800GT version? You can't go wrong with it.. >On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:53:57 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com> wrot...

?Subsurface Scattering
I am learner of Prman. What is the difference between Subsurface Scattering and Translucence? Does anyone who know some good articles or papers which explains well in both the Subsurface Scattering and Translucence? Any help will be appreciated! hi 'duck', new to the group myself. subsurface scattering is basically final gathering pointed inwards. You can also think of it as a blurry translucense with a distance fallof. joe "duck" <tak_fail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ade53876.0408170159.4697b48e@posting.google.com... > I am learner of Pr...

X800 or 6800 ultra
topic says it all really. the only reason i might get the 6800 ultra is for the p.s.3 support, but I don't know if it's just an nvidia marketing gimmick, or whether it really is something that will be used in games in the next year and a half or so (by which time i'll probably upgrade video card again) On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:01:07 GMT, "Mr. Teatime" <mr_teatime007@hotmail.com> wrote: >topic says it all really. the only reason i might get the 6800 ultra is for >the p.s.3 support, but I don't know if it's just an nvidia marketing >gimmick, or whet...

Geforce 6800 drivers
Hi all, we've just built a superb 4 system. It has in it a MSI Geforce 6800 GT PCI-X card. The drivers on the MSI website are considerably older (October 04) than those on the nvidia website. Is it OK to put the nvidiia drivers on, rather than the MSI ? Thanks In article Rodger says... > Hi all, we've just built a superb 4 system. It has in it a MSI Geforce 6800 > GT PCI-X card. > > The drivers on the MSI website are considerably older (October 04) than > those on the nvidia website. > > Is it OK to put the nvidiia drivers on, rather than the MSI ? > Abs...

Geforce 6800 512MB????
Anyone heard info about this card. I figure I'll upgrade but I'll wait until the 512 version comes out. No doubt it will retail for about $600-$700. Anybody? On 17 Apr 2004 10:33:52 -0700, pocguy@hotmail.com (greymamba) wrote: >Anyone heard info about this card. I figure I'll upgrade but I'll wait >until the 512 version comes out. No doubt it will retail for about >$600-$700. Anybody? What application do you need 512MB for? -- Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap. Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards, ple...

6800/GT/Ultra ???
What performance difference is there between the 6800 / 6800GT / 6800Ultra? I will be using the PCI-Express. Thanks for any help -- Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-6800-GT-Ultra-ftopict49693.html Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=239735 ...

A question about subsurface scattering !
Hi, When using PRMAN, i have to "bake", and then connect this bake to a camera to render SSS, and i don't know why ? Can anyone tell me a bit clearly about that, about the theory behind that ? Can we write a SSS shader that don't need to be "bake", just "import interface", assign and render ? If we can, where can i get the sample code and tutorial ? And what if i want to learn more about SSS algorithm ? Can we implement a custom SSS in PRMAN or just use the default ? Thanks ...

[...]

nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU take the fastest video card on the planet and turn up its clock speeds a bit? You have a new fastest video card on the planet, of course, which is a little bit faster than the old fastest video card on the planet... http://tophardware-news.blogspot.com/2007/05/nvidia-geforce-8800-ultra.html ...

GeForce 7800 is no more than an upgraded 6800
quotes from Inquirer: http://theinquirer.net/?article=24306 G70 was no new chip designed from scratch Naming games nobbled us all By Fuad Abazovic in Wien: Friday 01 July 2005, 00:23 IN CONVERSATION with some knowledgable Nvidians, we learned that the G70 chip was no brand new design. In fact, they claim its architecture was a very well kept secret and Nvidia managed to confuse the whole world by simply renaming one chip and changing a thing or two. Few non-NDA people and partners believed the new core, manufactured "from scratch" would actually be delivered on time. But tha...

Bioshock on a Geforce 6800 GT?
Before I buy a new video card I would like to know if anybody is successfully running Bioshock on an Nvidia chipset Geforce 6800 GT with 256 ram? Currently I am using an ATI 9550. I have no mouse cursor on the main menu and the graphics are so screwed up I can't get started. After the plane crashes my screen has chunky blocks and the flames come and go. I can't even tell what I am supposed to do because I can see hardly anything. And thus spoke Smith... > Before I buy a new video card I would like to know if anybody is > successfully running Bioshock on an Nvidia chipset...

Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU take the fastest video card on the planet and turn up its clock speeds a bit? You have a new fastest video card on the planet, of course, which is a little bit faster than the old fastest video card on the planet... http://tophardware-news.blogspot.com/ I have the 8800 GTX the �350 cost still makes me squirm with some guilt. But the �500 for around 10% turn up the clocks & (presumably) select somewhat higher grade components is crazy.. The GTX runs at over 80 degrees C when hard gaming...god know what the Ultra heats up to. The Nvidia Control Panel does not pro...

subsurface scattering and depth map
Hi! I'm trying to understand and use the subsurface shader available at http://www.rendermanacademy.com/docs/SSS_depthmaps.htm . It is based on a paper written by Christophe Hery, chapter 4 in SigGraph 2003 Course 09 - RenderMan, Theory and Practice. I'm facing some problems, I cannot make this shader working with back lighting and higl translucent object. It seems that it is not supposed to do this. Secondly I'm having a lot of noise on the diffusion scattering, if I use less than few hundred samples (500) it is terrible. Has this shader already been use...