OT: Making DivXes with non standard sizes

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello!

I have a problem. I have an image sequence that I want to convert to a high
quality movie with a high compression. The problem is that the movie is
supposed to be 752x525 in resolution. This is not pal and not ntsc either,
its just som arbitrary resolution.

Now, whatever I try, DF, Premiere 6, Lightwave or other, I cannot make this
into a DivX. I have tried DivX 3.11, 5.1 and XviD to no avail. They all give
an error message and fail to render this movie.

Does anyone know a method of doing this besides putting in bars on the top?

Greetings, Tom

0
Reply except 1/20/2004 4:29:53 PM

See related articles to this posting

That's weird...  It should let you produce videos in that resolution.
AFAIK, the only restriction to resolutions in DivX is that the horizontal
pixel count must be evenly divisible by 16, which 752 is.  What is the error
message?  Does it work with other resolutions that are similar in size and
aspect ratio?

What version of DivX are you using and is it DivX Pro or one of the lesser
packages?  It could be that they have restricted DivX to only use standard
resolution settings....

I just stretched a clip to 752x525 in Vegas4 and rendered out as a DivX and
it worked.  This system has DivX Pro 5.03 (looks like I need to upgrade).

Jeff

"except" <info@Nospam-except.nl> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I have a problem. I have an image sequence that I want to convert to a
high
> quality movie with a high compression. The problem is that the movie is
> supposed to be 752x525 in resolution. This is not pal and not ntsc either,
> its just som arbitrary resolution.
>
> Now, whatever I try, DF, Premiere 6, Lightwave or other, I cannot make
this
> into a DivX. I have tried DivX 3.11, 5.1 and XviD to no avail. They all
give
> an error message and fail to render this movie.
>
> Does anyone know a method of doing this besides putting in bars on the
top?

> Greetings, Tom

0
Reply DarkScience 1/20/2004 5:45:14 PM

Hi!

Its DivX 5.1 Pro, and the error messages are the standard ones:

DF: Render did not Complete (now thats helpfull)
Lightwave: "Cannot Set Stream Format"
Premiere 6.5: "An error occured. Codec Compression Error. This codec may be
unable to support the requested frame size, or there may be a hardwarwe or
memory problem"

But hardware and memory are a-ok... : (

"DarkScience" <Jeff at Applied Visual dot Com> wrote in message
> That's weird...  It should let you produce videos in that resolution.
> AFAIK, the only restriction to resolutions in DivX is that the horizontal
> pixel count must be evenly divisible by 16, which 752 is.  What is the
error
> message?  Does it work with other resolutions that are similar in size and
> aspect ratio?
>
> What version of DivX are you using and is it DivX Pro or one of the lesser
> packages?  It could be that they have restricted DivX to only use standard
> resolution settings....
>
> I just stretched a clip to 752x525 in Vegas4 and rendered out as a DivX
and
> it worked.  This system has DivX Pro 5.03 (looks like I need to upgrade).
>
> Jeff
>
> "except" <info@Nospam-except.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a problem. I have an image sequence that I want to convert to a
> high
> > quality movie with a high compression. The problem is that the movie is
> > supposed to be 752x525 in resolution. This is not pal and not ntsc
either,
> > its just som arbitrary resolution.
> >
> > Now, whatever I try, DF, Premiere 6, Lightwave or other, I cannot make
> this
> > into a DivX. I have tried DivX 3.11, 5.1 and XviD to no avail. They all
> give
> > an error message and fail to render this movie.
> >
> > Does anyone know a method of doing this besides putting in bars on the
> top?
> >
> > Greetings, Tom

0
Reply except 1/20/2004 10:40:46 PM

Sorry it's 720x 525. But it still doesnt work : (

"DarkScience" <Jeff at Applied Visual dot Com> wrote in message
> That's weird...  It should let you produce videos in that resolution.
> AFAIK, the only restriction to resolutions in DivX is that the horizontal
> pixel count must be evenly divisible by 16, which 752 is.  What is the
error
> message?  Does it work with other resolutions that are similar in size and
> aspect ratio?
>
> What version of DivX are you using and is it DivX Pro or one of the lesser
> packages?  It could be that they have restricted DivX to only use standard
> resolution settings....
>
> I just stretched a clip to 752x525 in Vegas4 and rendered out as a DivX
and
> it worked.  This system has DivX Pro 5.03 (looks like I need to upgrade).
>
> Jeff
>
> "except" <info@Nospam-except.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have a problem. I have an image sequence that I want to convert to a
> high
> > quality movie with a high compression. The problem is that the movie is
> > supposed to be 752x525 in resolution. This is not pal and not ntsc
either,
> > its just som arbitrary resolution.
> >
> > Now, whatever I try, DF, Premiere 6, Lightwave or other, I cannot make
> this
> > into a DivX. I have tried DivX 3.11, 5.1 and XviD to no avail. They all
> give
> > an error message and fail to render this movie.
> >
> > Does anyone know a method of doing this besides putting in bars on the
> top?
> >
> > Greetings, Tom

0
Reply except 1/20/2004 10:45:15 PM

except wrote:

> Sorry it's 720x 525. But it still doesnt work : (

Mmmm... that sounds a lot like they want to do square pixel version of
D1 PAL video file for computer screen viewing (the mathematically
correct 4:3 size would be 720*540, which is close to what you're doing).

Have you tried rendering to some other resolution?

Try rendering in an image size where BOTH horizontal and vertical
resolution can be divided by 16 (i.e. 720*528, which is just 3 pixels
off from what they asked, or 720*544, which is the closest to the real
thing). Does it work?

If not, try with some other source material. Maybe your original file is
the problem. Does that work?

CU
--
- Eki

http://www.akmp-program.fi
http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/

*************************************
******** warp9.to/soapwish **********
*************************************

0
Reply Erkki 1/22/2004 11:28:00 PM

Hi Eki,

Thanks for the good advice.
Actually, I succeeded in making one go with 720x525. I did it in Digital
Fusion by setting the 'Make Legal' option in the saver.
Problem is, its an OOOLD digital fusion and I dont seem to be able to
control the codec in any way. the movie becomes 20 mb's at whatever setting
I put either the avi saving defaults or the slider in the saver unit. So I
will have to do it in another program like premiere or LW, but so far these
have refused to do it at all.
I will try your solutions... Ill get back : )

"Erkki Halkka" <erkki.halkka@kolumbus.fi> wrote in message
> except wrote:
>
> > Sorry it's 720x 525. But it still doesnt work : (
>
> Mmmm... that sounds a lot like they want to do square pixel version of
> D1 PAL video file for computer screen viewing (the mathematically
> correct 4:3 size would be 720*540, which is close to what you're doing).
>
> Have you tried rendering to some other resolution?
>
> Try rendering in an image size where BOTH horizontal and vertical
> resolution can be divided by 16 (i.e. 720*528, which is just 3 pixels
> off from what they asked, or 720*544, which is the closest to the real
> thing). Does it work?
>
> If not, try with some other source material. Maybe your original file is
> the problem. Does that work?
>
> CU
> --
> - Eki
>
> http://www.akmp-program.fi
> http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/
>
> *************************************
> ******** warp9.to/soapwish **********
> *************************************

0
Reply except 1/23/2004 9:09:10 AM
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave 3062 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OT slightly: Non standard size PDF with Acrobat Distiller
I need a sheet that is atleast 21" in any direction but I can't figure out how to make Acrobat Distiller do this. I am printing a decal that we are going to have made at Kinko's for prototype. Anyway I would prefer to give them a 1 to 1 PDF of it. Unfortunately it is in AutoCAD and won't print too well from SW. Corey Click on "settings/job-options" select the advanced tab and change the deault page size Cheers Frank CS wrote: > I need a sheet that is atleast 21" in any direction but I can't figure out > how to make Acrobat Distiller do this. I...

Regarging Standard & Non-standard block size for db_cache
Case-1) db_cache_size = 3600M Case-2) db_cache_size = 600M db_8k_cache_size = 3000M Will there be a difference in performance in the above cases? On what basis, the DBA has to decide whether to use Standard 4K block size or to have non-standard block sizes also for the Database? "qazmlp" <qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:db9bbf31.0411020226.75d639e7@posting.google.com... > Case-1) > db_cache_size = 3600M > > Case-2) > db_cache_size = 600M > db_8k_cache_size = 3000M > > Will there be a difference in performance in the above c...

non-standard page size in memoir
Hi all, I want to use a non-standard paper size with the memoir class (24cm x 16.5cm). I used the paper size commands provided by memoir (short example included below). I use pdflatex. I have two problems: 1) It appears the paper size is not correctly set in the pdf document, that is, the PDF viewer show Letter (or A4) pages. The text, however, is of the correct size (resulting in huge lower and right margins). 2) The width of the header and footer appears to be too small. The rule below the header stops about 4 characters to the left of the right margin, and also the page number is ...

Reading non-standard variable sizes
I'm attempting to read values from a binary file with some strange variable formats. Specifically, I have a field of data that uses 9 bytes. No IDL data format has 9 bytes. I can do the following: data = bytarr(9) ReadU, lun, data And lun will be ready to read the next variable, but how do I convert the 9 byte variable into a single 8-byte double number? Unfortunately, I can't change the format of this data because its a standard. Thanks for your interest. -Brian On 9/7/12 2:44 PM, Brian J. Daniel wrote: > I'm attempting to read values from a binary file wit...

Printing on a non-standard paper size (custom)
Hello, I have a little problem to print my reports on custom sized paper. I got a db containing clubmembers, a query which selects only the needed infos to print out my membershipcards. My card is 79mm high and 210 mm large, and each card is on a paper with the same size, but I'm unable (don't know really how) to create a report to print out my cards as defined. Can someone help me out? And explain me how to do it. Cheers Brewtzaff First, understand that much of the "print" control depends on Access interacting with the software drivers for the printer you have chosen...

dbca & non-standard block sizes
Hi, We have several databases running under Linux and hosting Oracle iFS/CMSDK data. iFS permits document storage in the database (including large files like isos or DVD masters) so a typical iFS database is a mix of small tablespaces and huge dedicated lob tablespaces. It seems a textbook setup for using non-standard block sizes (4k for the db and 32k for the lob tablespaces). Does anyone here have any experience with such a thing? How would one write a dbca template with non-standard block sizes ? Regards, -- Nicolas Mailhot Nicolas Mailhot wrote: > Hi, > > We have several d...

Standard way of finding size of non-PODs
For the sake of curiosity, is there a standard way of finding the size of non-PODs? -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Apr 25, 12:57 pm, puppi <fabricio.pu...@gmail.com> wrote: > For the sake of curiosity, is there a standard way of finding the size > of non-PODs? size_t size = sizeof(MyClass); Your class doesn't need to be POD to use sizeof. The only limitations on what you can pass to sizeof are as follows fro section 5.3.3 of the 2003 c++ standa...

Reformatting to non-standard NTFS cluster sizes?
Has anyone experimented with non-standard cluster sizes on NTFS partitions? Typically, the default behaviour is that when creating the file system, the format utility chooses the ideal cluster size based on the size of the partition. But typically the highest it ever chooses is 4KB. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767961.aspx But there are options for choosing upto 64KB, which never get chosen by default. I have a file system that I calculated has a simple average file size of 115MB! I was thinking for files that large, I should choose the highest possible clus...

Large "non-standard" paper size
I am attempting to create what I am led to believe is called a "40-page ponytab" layout to create plates for a web press. This requires me to create what ends up being a 10-page pdf consisting of pages that are 22"x17" each containing four 8.5x11 pages, each of the 10 pdf pages being one plate, ultimately. Having tried several ways of getting the output that I need (including http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/, which crashes on any PDF that I try it with giving me the highly informative error "null"), and having spent the past two days working on this with no p...

Defining a non-standard page size in VFP 5
I have an application which I created in FPW 2.6, which prints out to 8.5 by 8.5 inch paper, with no problems. My client has upgraded to Windows XP on a new computer (and changed nothing else), and although I can get FPW 2.6 & VFP 5 to run on the system, and have the screens appear, etc., when they go to print to the same dot matrix printer they have always used, the report prints out as if it is on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. Nothing I do in Print Setup or elsewhere substantially changes what comes out - the spacing is assumed to be 11 inches long. The printer is an Okidata 591. A...

do they make servo motors that are the same sizes as a dc standard motor?
Hi, I was looking for a servo motor that comes in the same size as a dc standard motor -- similar to the one found: http://www.hobbyengineering.com/PrnH1821.html Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! mophobia@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I was looking for a servo motor that comes in the same size as a dc > standard motor -- similar to the one found: > http://www.hobbyengineering.com/PrnH1821.html > > Can anyone help? Thanks in advance! > Do you mean like an Radio Controller servo motor, or do you mean a DC servo motor ?? donald mophobia@gmail...

How to make LCD monitor run at non-standard resolution
I have an ACER LCD monitor with maximum resolution of 1440x900 which I have only been able to make work at 1280x1024. The monitor does work well at 1280x1024, but there is some horizonal stretching of images. I have tried constructing some custom mode lines for /etc/xorg.conf (see below), but none have worked so far. Does anyone know how to get the monitor and video card to work at 1440x900? Technical stuff: K9N Neo (AMD-64) motherboard with NVidia nForce 550 series chipset ATI Radeon Sapphire x550 PCI video card AMD 64-bit OpenBSD 4.2 OS xorg.conf works with both startx and...

Re: Standard way of finding size of non-PODs
On Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:42:42 AM UTC-4, Brendan wrote: > On Apr 25, 12:57 pm, puppi <fabrici...@gmail.com> wrote: >> For the sake of curiosity, is there a standard way of finding the size >> of non-PODs? It depends what you mean by size. It is common for standard library containers to provide a 'size()' method telling how many elements they "own," and you can use 'sizeof()' to get the size of the C++ class. If you really care about the size of the logical object, your best bet is probably a scoped allocator: http://www.open-std.o...

Help make a non-standard boot-disk for RH7.2
Hi, I have a dual-PPro PC controlling the CCD camera at the telescope. Pretty old machine, but more-than-enough for the purpose (mainly due to the dual-CPU). It is running RH7.2. Recently the machine went through a hard disk failure which was *very* unpleasant (the telescope is in a remote site, "typical user" has no idea about system reinstalling etc., so we lost many nigths before it was fixed). To avoid such problems in the future, I've installed two hard disks and prepared copies of / and /usr partitions on the second disk (with apropriate changes in /etc/fsta...

Inferring block ram in Spartan II with non standard bus sizes
Hello. Im relatively new to VHDL and im doing a small project in which i've to store the co-efficients of the FIR filter into the block ram at system startup which are supposed to be used later by the filter block for implementing the MAC operation needed for the filter. I am using spartan II by xilinx. First of all, what i'd like to know is that, what does the phrase 'infer from the code' imply in the context of memory instantiation in vhdl or any HD. I used to think that there are dedicated hardware memory blocks on the FPGA and we need to address the port pins as in done in ...

Inferring block ram in Spartan II with non standard bus sizes #2
Hello. Im relatively new to VHDL and im doing a small project in which i've to store the co-efficients of the FIR filter into the block ram at system startup which are supposed to be used later by the filter block for implementing the MAC operation needed for the filter. I am using spartan II by xilinx. First of all, what i'd like to know is that, what does the phrase 'infer from the code' imply in the context of memory instantiation in vhdl or any HD. I used to think that there are dedicated hardware memory blocks on the FPGA and we need to address the port pins as in done in ...

How to make modal dialog non-modal or how to make non-modal dialog modal from code
I have one window in resource file and I want to use it as modal or non-modal according to situation, I don't want to create two similar windows with one difference one Regular and one modal. So I need to change Layer parameter from modal to Regular or from Regular to modal from code (when creating dialog for example). How can I do it for both platform - Mac and Win? I've found some calls which work on windows: ClearAttribute(windAttr_Modal); SetAttribute(windAttr_Regular); GetMFCWnd()->GetSafeHwnd(), GWL_USERDATA, windAttr_Regular); SetLastModalWindow(NULL); but I th...

OT: One of My Non-MIDI, Non-Soundcard, Non-Synth, Music Fantasy.
Hi: Eliminate all vocalizations, kicks, spikes, clicks, snares, hiss, saxophones, leads and similar instruments by recognizing their waveforms rather than removing the central channel of a recording. Current "voice cancellers" work by ridding whatever is identical in both right and left. This would not eliminate vocals if they were recorded differently in the right and left channels. I don't want this at all. Eliminate the kicks, spikes, clicks, snares, hiss, saxophones, leads and similar instruments as well. I would like to eliminate all vocalizations, kicks, spikes, clicks,...

Standard Versus Non-Standard C++
{ Reformatted; please limit your lines to 70 characters -mod } Hi All, I asked a rhetorical question in a recent post, and the post was rejected, perhaps because I did not explain why I was asking the question. The question was: "Is this valid C++ code or not?" "this" was code like: // Is this C++? SyndicationClient^ client = ref new SyndicationClient(); for(wstring url : urls) // Perhaps it is, and my compiler is simply out of compliance. ....found on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465045.aspx The Mo...

Separating standard from non-standard requirements (documentation)
Hi, I am looking for a solution to separate standard requirements from non standard requirements. We use a Lotus Notes application to store reqs. for the standard software we produce. Since we have more than one customer the reqs. begin to differ and I need to find a clever way for the analysts to docment in the Notes application which is standard an which not. The documents sometimes contain embedded tables with data that dieffers from customer to customer so the solution is not simply creating two documents for each customer. Thanks for your help. Martin You can organize your requiremen...

Picture Size vs. Standard Frame size
My Canon S40 Camera produces pictures which are 12.622 X 9.467 @ 180,000 PPI My problem is that to fit standard frame sizes, allowing for matting I must crop the picture significantly after resizing to the nearest dimensions possible. Sometimes by cropping the picture some important aspects can be lost. I have used matting with different border widths (top vs sides) - which sometimes helps, but I am not completely happy with the end result. How do others handle this? Do you expand the picture to accommodate, and if so how? "Deillub" <gbullied@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:B1I0...

make size of plot equal to size of image
Hi all I am trying to implement the code of Integral projections(Horizontal and Vertical Integral Projection). Vertical Integral projection sums up the intensities of all the pixels in one column and Horizontal Integral projections sums up the sum of intensities of all pixels in a row. I am plot the results using area but the size of plot is not equal to size of image. Please help ...

Picture Size vs. Standard Frame size
My Canon S40 Camera produces pictures which are 12.622 X 9.467 @ 180,000 PPI My problem is that to fit standard frame sizes, allowing for matting I must crop the picture significantly after resizing to the nearest dimensions possible. Sometimes by cropping the picture some important aspects can be lost. I have used matting with different border widths (top vs sides) - which sometimes helps, but I am not completely happy with the end result. How do others handle this? Do you expand the picture to accommodate, and if so how? "Deillub" <gbullied@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:B1I0...

OT: War (was OT: Non-conservative comments)
Point of clarification. Did the United States Congress actually declare war on Iraq? OR Did Congress "authorize" the President to use force against Iraq? Was the last "Declaration of War" by the United States in 1941? Bruce. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---- Bruce J. Senn Phone: (518) 388-6664 Senior System Manager FAX: (518) 388-6458 Union College E-mail: sennb@union.edu Schenectady, NY 12308 WWW: http://www1.union.edu/~sennb -----------------------------------------...