OT ...Very OT

Ok, this is very off topic, but I've become accustomed to seeking
reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I going
to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery TDV6
SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec choices?....Image?....etc...Any
family men here that have been through this BIG purchase nerve racker...?
It's got to move a family of 5 everywhere.

Thanks for your wisdom

0
BOXA
1/9/2005 10:18:12 PM
comp.graphics.apps.lightwave 3065 articles. 0 followers. genericsubscriptions (19) is leader. Post Follow

"BOXA" <dustbin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Ok, this is very off topic, but I've become accustomed to seeking
| reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I going
| to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery TDV6
| SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec choices?....Image?....etc...Any
| family men here that have been through this BIG purchase nerve racker...?
| It's got to move a family of 5 everywhere.
|
| Thanks for your wisdom

I only know one person who bought a land rover, he said if he had it to do over,
he would buy something else.

--
CWC
============================

0
CWCunningham
1/10/2005 12:30:17 AM
For me, it was what I heard from Consumer Reports, that it had the most
complaints
from previous owners, but then, that was a few years ago and I don't
know what
model this one is that you are looking at, as opposed to the one they
talked about on the news?
I know that a lot of people, here in the states that is, like the ford
Explorer,
but every person I know who has owned one, ended up hating them.
Toooooo many break downs and things falling apart on them.
Not to mention allll those wheel and tire problems that
caused sooo many roll overs and blow outs and what nots.

So, I'm not much help, am I?  :)

.............md :)

CWCunningham wrote:

>"BOXA" <dustbin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>| Ok, this is very off topic, but I've become accustomed to seeking
>| reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I going
>| to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery TDV6
>| SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec choices?....Image?....etc...Any
>| family men here that have been through this BIG purchase nerve racker...?
>| It's got to move a family of 5 everywhere.
>|
>| Thanks for your wisdom
>|
>I only know one person who bought a land rover, he said if he had it to do over,
>he would buy something else.

Check out my Tutorials:

MD arts
Mark Dunakin
md@md-arts.com
http://www.md-arts.com

         "May your forehead grow, like the mighty oak"
                        MST3K
              "The Movie"
0
Mark
1/10/2005 3:58:19 AM
"BOXA" <dustbin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, this is very off topic, but I've become accustomed to seeking
> reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I
> going to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery
> TDV6 SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec
> choices?....Image?....etc...Any family men here that have been through
> this BIG purchase nerve racker...? It's got to move a family of 5
> everywhere.
>
> Thanks for your wisdom

Unless you have a local rhino problem, purchasing such a vehicle for 'image'
is very sad. With a family of 5 to feed the cash could be better spent. Kids
are a black hole when it comes to food and clothes etc.

I did the car 'image' thing in my early twenties until, luckily, a friend
gave me a good hard slap and showed me what was really important in life.

An honest answer to an honest question.

best to you whatever you decide,.

Graham

0
Hobbit
1/10/2005 7:58:22 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Hmmm, generally reconsidering that make anyway but what you've said tallies
with other comments.

'image'  Don't get too hung up on that Graham, it's just a consideration for
business etc...image/ perception is very important. Ignoring it would be a
luxury I can't afford yet.  One day though I'll be able to put that dress on
and drive around in a pink Caddi ;).

Maybe a BMW X5...not as much kit but a nice diesel engine.

Cheers

"Hobbit #37" <do@notspamme.com> wrote in message

> "BOXA" <dustbin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, this is very off topic, but I've become accustomed to seeking
>> reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I
>> going to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery
>> TDV6 SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec
>> choices?....Image?....etc...Any family men here that have been through
>> this BIG purchase nerve racker...? It's got to move a family of 5
>> everywhere.
>>
>> Thanks for your wisdom
>>

> Unless you have a local rhino problem, purchasing such a vehicle for
> 'image' is very sad. With a family of 5 to feed the cash could be better
> spent. Kids are a black hole when it comes to food and clothes etc.
>
> I did the car 'image' thing in my early twenties until, luckily, a friend
> gave me a good hard slap and showed me what was really important in life.
>
> An honest answer to an honest question.
>
> best to you whatever you decide,.
>
> Graham

0
BOXA
1/10/2005 2:34:20 PM
| Thanks for the replies,
|
| Hmmm, generally reconsidering that make anyway but what you've said tallies
| with other comments.
|
| 'image'  Don't get too hung up on that Graham, it's just a consideration for
| business etc...image/ perception is very important. Ignoring it would be a
| luxury I can't afford yet.  One day though I'll be able to put that dress on
| and drive around in a pink Caddi ;).
|
| Maybe a BMW X5...not as much kit but a nice diesel engine.

Don't know what it would do for your image, but if you want the best, consider a
Lexus LS430, it ain't cheap, but CR rates it the finest car money can buy.

--
CWC
============================
It's not that nice guys finish last,
They have a whole different notion
where the finish line is.
============================

0
CWCunningham
1/10/2005 9:27:59 PM
BOXA wrote:
>  I've become accustomed to seeking
> reassurance from fellow Lightwavers over my purchases so here goes.  I going
> to sign on the dotted line for a new..........Land Rover Discovery TDV6
> SE....wadda think.....good Idea?....spec choices?....Image?....etc...

Do what I ALWAYS do when it's time to change cars.

Buy a 5-year-old TOYOTA COROLLA.  Pay cash.  My last one cost less than
$7000, and I got a car than has never needed a repair in three years,
and appears to have much life left in it.  The Corolla I had before that
cost $3500 cash, lasted seven years for me, and needed only one repair:
a $350 head gasket replacement.

Do a oil change every six months or less, and you should be set.

A kid doesn't fit in the back seat?  Pitch the least favorite(s).
You'll save on college money!  Me, I got no kids.  Kids suck!

Lightwave forever, and etc.....

__________________
www.frankpanucci.com

0
F_r_a_n_k__P_a_n_u_c
1/11/2005 12:01:34 AM
Thanks for the tip, I've just taken a look and think that car would be ideal
in a lot of ways...particularly it's neutral yet stylish image.  However, I
've had to dismiss Saloons and Touring/Estate cars because they offer so
little rear passenger room for the family.  While I could do without 4x4
mechanicals those cars are designed so that the cabin sits on top of the
differential& driveshaft giving full three seater/footwell space.  We
currently run an Estate which is now too small and I don't want to throw my
money away on a minivan as they become worthless here within 12months.
4x4's demand 55% residuals here after 3 years (amazingly thats good) and
make a lot more sense other than as mentioned, being over engineered for
there target purpose...rounding up Rhinos...lol.  The Bimmer X5 is the most
sensible running cost/resale but the Discovery has the most space (7 seats)
and functionality.  Difficult choice.

"CWCunningham" <charlesw-at-blackfoot.net> wrote in message
> "BOXA" <dustbin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks for the replies,
> |
> | Hmmm, generally reconsidering that make anyway but what you've said
> tallies
> | with other comments.
> |
> | 'image'  Don't get too hung up on that Graham, it's just a consideration
> for
> | business etc...image/ perception is very important. Ignoring it would be
> | luxury I can't afford yet.  One day though I'll be able to put that
> dress on
> | and drive around in a pink Caddi ;).
> |
> | Maybe a BMW X5...not as much kit but a nice diesel engine.
> |
> Don't know what it would do for your image, but if you want the best,
> consider a
> Lexus LS430, it ain't cheap, but CR rates it the finest car money can buy.
>
> --
> CWC
> ============================
> It's not that nice guys finish last,
> They have a whole different notion
> where the finish line is.
> ============================

0
BOXA
1/11/2005 8:57:38 AM
"F_r_a_n_k__P_a_n_u_c_c_i" <"" \"@ ."> wrote in message

> Buy a 5-year-old TOYOTA COROLLA.  Pay cash.  My last one cost less than
> $7000, and I got a car than has never needed a repair in three years, and
> appears to have much life left in it.  The Corolla I had before that cost
> $3500 cash, lasted seven years for me, and needed only one repair: a $350
> head gasket replacement.
>
> Do a oil change every six months or less, and you should be set.
>
> A kid doesn't fit in the back seat?  Pitch the least favorite(s). You'll
> save on college money!  Me, I got no kids.  Kids suck!
>
> Lightwave forever, and etc.....

I second the Corolla. I've got a 7 year old Corolla now which has done me
proud. At first it was strange to go from a Supra 3.0 to a Corolla 1.3 but
now I really love it.

Yep. Kids certainly suck. 24/7 hassle.

best,  Graham (grumpy old man :)  )

0
Hobbit
1/11/2005 11:58:56 AM
Well I'm curious ... did you buy something ... what was it?

--
CWC