Can't open PSP files from Explorer

Hi,

I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in Windows Explorer
or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I usually use. Each time, another
instance of PSP 9 opens, but the image does not appear. Instead, I get a
Windows error message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
BMP files open normally.

However, if I start PaintShop Pro 9 first, I can use PSP 9's File/Open
command to open the file normally.

PSP 9 is specified as the default program for opening PSPs, but I also have
PSP 7 and 8 installed on the computer. I've been using PSP 9 for quite a
while without having this problem.

Is this a malfunction of Windows or with PSP 9? It feels like something has
gotten corrupted or some Windows setting has changed. Is it generally
necessary to re-install PSP 9 in cases like this?

I recently bought PSP XI, and plan to install it and keep PSP 9 until I
decide if I like XI better. Given this problem with opening PSP files,
should I take any special precautions when installing PSP XI?

Thank you.

Orrie

0
Orrie
10/25/2006 3:30:51 AM
comp.paint-shop-pro 6014 articles. 30 followers. gshatterhand (27) is leader. Post Follow

Orrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
> BMP files open normally.
[snip]

Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
simple cures first:

1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
check mark.

2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
http://support.corel.com.
--
Fred Hiltz,  fhiltz at yahoo dot com

0
Fred
10/25/2006 11:47:47 AM
Thanks, Fred.

It's sort of working now. I reset the PSP 9 Preferences file association as
you suggested, then exited and restarted Windows. Now, when I click on a JPG
file, the PSP 9 splash screen appears immediately, but the program does not
appear on-screen or on the task bar. If I wait a several seconds,
right-click on the file in 2xExplorer or Explore, then click Open, PSP 9
appears instantly, showing the image. It's as if it was hiding and just
needed that little nudge to pop open.

I'll try the Registry change next.

Orrie

"Fred Hiltz" <not@home.ca> wrote in message
> Orrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>> BMP files open normally.
> [snip]
>
> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
> simple cures first:
>
> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
> check mark.
>
> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
> http://support.corel.com.
> --
> Fred Hiltz,  fhiltz at yahoo dot com

0
Orrie
10/25/2006 9:04:50 PM
Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:

> Orrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>> BMP files open normally.
> [snip]
>
> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
> simple cures first:
>
> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
> check mark.

Not the best advice IMHO.

In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.  Scroll
down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in PSP.

Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click > Open
with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these type
of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!

Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the same.

> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
> http://support.corel.com.

Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.

Hope this helps.

Later......

     LabRat......  |:^{)

0
LabRat
11/2/2006 2:33:18 AM
"LabRat" <idontknow@idontcare.org> wrote in message
> Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
> comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:
>
>> Orrie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>>> BMP files open normally.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
>> simple cures first:
>>
>> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
>> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set
>> the
>> check mark.
>
> Not the best advice IMHO.
>
> In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.
> Scroll
> down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in
> PSP.
>
> Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
> Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click >
> Open
> with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these
> type
> of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
> checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!
>
> Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the
> same.
>

>> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
>> http://support.corel.com.
>
> Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Later......
>
>     LabRat......  |:^{)

You don't know much about programming and Windows' registry, do you.
:-)

(that's a rhetorical question/comment, the answer is obvious)

0
DJJohnson
11/2/2006 3:03:14 AM
DJJohnson voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 01 Nov 2006 07:03:14p:

> "LabRat" <idontknow@idontcare.org> wrote in message
>> Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
>> comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
>>> simple cures first:
>>>
>>> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
>>> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set
>>> the
>>> check mark.
>>
>> Not the best advice IMHO.
>>
>> In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.
>> Scroll
>> down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in
>> PSP.
>>
>> Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
>> Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click >
>> Open
>> with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these
>> type
>> of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
>> checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!
>>
>> Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the
>> same.
>>

>>> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
>>> http://support.corel.com.
>>
>> Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> Later......
>>
>>     LabRat......  |:^{)
>>

> You don't know much about programming and Windows' registry, do you.
>:-)
>
> (that's a rhetorical question/comment, the answer is obvious)

I can do BASIC and have been messing around in the registry since '95
enough to give tyros a warning afore they venture into the dark arts.

Oh yeah.

Fuck you.  Program that A-hole Troll.

--
Later......

     LabRat......  |:^{)

0
LabRat

open stdin a second time
Hi, I´m opening stdin to get a file and pass it through a pipe. r=popen("/usr/local/bin/mfilt","w"); while((ret=fread(l,1,sizeof(l),stdin))>0){ fwrite(l,1,sizeof(l),r) } pclose(r); After that, if mfilt returns me an error I want to send an email with the original message attached...but how can I re-read stdin to do that. I do not want to save the message to a temp file or save it to memory for i/o questions. Is there a way to re-read stdin ? amit khan <nospam@nospam.com> writes: > I´m opening stdin to get a file and pass it thro...

GalCiv2: Where are the save files?
I am having trouble with the galciv2 forums. In what subdirectory are the save games found? Usually I can find these easily for games. Thx, Bryce "JHawk" <brycej@truman.edu> wrote in message news:1142902863.299947.293940@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I am having trouble with the galciv2 forums. > > In what subdirectory are the save games found? Usually > I can find these easily for games. My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 I am looking for Galciv2. But yes, they are buried about 4 levels deep under documents an...

playing a wave file under JavaScript
I would like to play a wave file in my web page, for that have written a javascipt but to no avail. Using http://www.jslint.com/ I have found the following errors: ============ Error: Implied global: alert 3, document 18, navigator 8 Problem at line 18 character 9: document.write can be a form of eval. document.writeln('<bgsound src="' + soundfile + '" loop=1>'); Problem at line 21 character 5: document.write can be a form of eval. document.writeln('<embed src="' + soundfile + '" autoestart=true loop=false ... ====================...

Open Forum 4 ALL #2
Opened Forum ! http://sqlwarrior.freehostia.com/forum SQL Warrior Forum The most opened forum on the world ! Every one can join and asks question, expert will reply ! Discussion about SQL, Dotnet and VB... Job seeker and company requirement : Found best workers here and posts your jobs here for free. Workers can posts resume and search for jobs ! Advertise here for free! (in the misc forum) Posts anything you want to know. Show your site and get higher traffic Join now it's free http://sqlwarrior.freehostia.com/forum http://sqlwarrior.freehostia.com/forum ...

Open Debate About OpenDocument
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172063,00.html James Prendergast's column, Massachusetts Should Close Down Open Document, touched a nerve among FOXnews.com's tech savvy readers and ignited a heated response. ... Editor's Note: The column "Massachusetts Should Close Down OpenDocument" that appeared on FOXnews.com Sept. 28 identified author James Prendergast as executive director of Americans for Technology Leadership, but failed to disclose that Microsoft is a founding member of that organization. ATL is a coalition of t...

Re: Loading a group of files
Dfss - Try this - filename myfile '*.txt'; data files; length myfile _myfile $ 256; infile myfile truncover filename=_myfile; input @1 vars $10.; myfile=_myfile; run; An alternative would be to filename pipe the file names from the directory and then load them with a macro. hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of df ss Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 12:24 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Loading a group of files Hello, I can load the group of files in t...

Macro for opening files by passing filenames as token
Hello Folks I was trying to write a macro to open files by passing the file names as a token and I tried the following syntax but it didn't work. Define fsdts1 (!POS !CHAREND ('/')). !DO !fsds !IN (!1). GET FILE=CONCAT("'D:\temp\",!fsds,".sav'".) !DOEND. !ENDDEFINE. *** fsdts1 "fname"/. can any one help me on this ? Thanks in Advance -Anantha Try this Define fsdts1 (!POS !CHAREND ('/')). !DO !fsds !IN (!1). get fil !Quote(!concat('D:\temp\', !fsds, '.sav')). !DOEND. !ENDDEFINE. A...

GUI application and automatic file launcher questions
I would appreciate any suggestions to achive the following: 1. Launch a specified M-file automatically when MATLAB starts up. 2. Display results of a computation in a GUI. Is there a GUI component that will take in input internally from an M-file and display it? Thanks. Tara ...

Locating partially matched strings in a file
I have a situation where I have a bunch of strings stuffed into a vector. I need to run through each of them and locate approximate (or complete) matches to them in another file (which also contains a string on each line). If I am searching for CAD I need to locate even something that looks like ACAD or CADINC (along with the exact match for CAD of course). I ran into some examples using istream_iterator and have an idea how to do this if I am just looking for an exact match. Can someone point me in the right direction what I need to do if I have to make substring searches too? thanks! ...

Tried Open Office. Hate it.
Using Office 2003. Love it. On Aug 16, 9:05=A0pm, reporter <TruckSaf...@gmail.com> wrote: > Using Office 2003. =A0Love it. to each his own.... we love you for trying it. "reporter" <TruckSafety@gmail.com> stated in post c6aff9c3-eee2-4d48-af8f-edbf8fbfb154@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com on 8/16/08 6:05 PM: > Using Office 2003. Love it. Curious what about Open Office was not to your liking? The current version is excellent but, of course, it has its pros and cons like anything. -- "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying...

Open panel too long to open....
OS 10.3.4 on a G4 Cube w Internet connection open (cable) When using a context menu 'Open with..' on a file in the Finder... it takes a long long time to display the Open Panel (spinning wheel)... is it searching a complete list of libraries to display including out searching on internet ?...... why it's so long ? any way to shorten this delay ? thanks for hints Joss ...

Reading data from a file into a dataset
Hi, I want to read a file into a SAS dataset. The beginning of the file looks like this: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- SAKSNR.: 1981/1 ARKIV: 701.21 TITTEL: RAPPORT SAKSDATO: 18.05.1981 SISTE DOK.: 18.05.1981 ANT.DOK: 1 SANSV.: OD/SMS/AK DOKNR.: 1 JAVD: ODJ SBH: OD/SMS/AKV JDATO: 18.05.1981 UOFF AVS/MOT: OTTER DOK.TITTEL: STATUSRAPPORT AVSKR.DOKNR.: DATO: 18.05.1981 AVSKR. M�TE: X --------------------------...

Open Intervals Represented by Gauges
I would like to represent an open interval (on the real line) with a Horizontal or VerticalGauge. Let's say (0, 1). I can represent this in calculations by using ConditionalExpression[x, 0 < x < 1] where x might be set by a HorizontalGauge. Then the ConditionalExpression of x becomes Undefined at the endpoints. But I would also like this to be reflected in the appearance of the Gauge. For interior points I would like the Gauge marker to be a blue triangle, and at the endpoints to change to a white triangle with a black outline. The following was my attempt us...

Proxy site open all blocked sites 7811
Proxy site open all blocked sites http://yourp.zxq.net ...

Auto file name function.
Hi Am using PI version 6 very adequate for my purposes hence I've never upgraded. But am now scanning in bulk and find the auto file name function in batch processing a little frustrating, i.e. starting at "untitled1" each time and not padding the number, and we all know what happens when you list files which are numbered like this. So, the question is - does the latest version a.) give the facility to choose the file name AND b.) get it to pad the number properly? I've come here first for the answer as I suspect it may take a while for Ulead to answer...

Opening multiple m files
I currently use the R2007a version of MATLAB. However, the previous version you could open multiple mfiles in one window but different tabs. However, this version, whenever you try to open another mfile while one is already opened, it will make the currently opened one invisible and there is no way you can get to it. This is frustrating "ade77 " <ade100a@gmail.com> wrote in message <gc9d0d$hjn$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I currently use the R2007a version of MATLAB. However, the previous version you could open multiple mfiles in one window but different tabs. > ...

Free open source IDE for C programming
Hi, I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for C programming. The minimum features i expect are online help (in the editor) something u see in Borland C compiler (with that Ctrl+F1 option), highlighting, auto indenting. Dev C++ does the last two but i don't seem to have online help i expect. Thanks in advance. Greenhorn. On 8 Feb 2005 12:47:14 -0800, "Greenhorn" <teachgreenhorn@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi, > I would like to know what do u suggest for Free open source IDE for >C programming. The minimum features i exp...

Trying to avoid the batch file route
The code is pretty self explanatory-the commented out portion does not work I'm guessing due to the ">" which the java runtime does not recognize? How do I write the output to a text file without having to use a batch file? Things would be nice if exec() returned the output, but the process which is returned does not do so to my knowledge. So, I try what typically is done on command prompt. Thanks in advance. private String createMapFile(String binDirectory, String binName) { // String mapCommand = "nm -t d " + binDirectory + "/" + binName + " >...

USB File Transfer Cables?
Hi! Santa brought me a set of USB File Transfer Cables for my to PC's. I can now transfer files from one PC to the other, but..... ......I was unable to actually run a program on the remote PC, using the host. Oddly, I can only do that with two solitaire games . Any other time I try, I get DLL errors. It doesn't make sense. The DLL's on the remote computer are still on the same hard drive as the programs are. Yes? My original purpose for using Transfer Cables was to install different programs on each PC, so as not to overload the hard drives. See what one does when one ASS-U-ME&...

Failure to add object in kepserver (Open Process Control app)
Hi everyone, I am asking you this question because I'm pretty much stuck. I am a student and my assignment is to make a simple OPC client/server application. To this end I've gotten Vihang Patil's OPC simulation program from here: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/27788-opc-serverclient-demo However, when I run it, without modifications, I get a "non-existent field" error and a "ui callback" error upon pressing the two buttons of the GUI, for a cylinder and ejector device, respectively. Kepserver, the app used for the OPC server part of...

Deny Copy of a File
Is there any way to deny a user/group the ability to copy a file while still allowing them to read and modify data in the file? I would have thought this would be an obvious setting in the file permissions but I am apparently wrong. Thanks bshort I got a similar problem. I want users/groups to be able to read files in a folder but be able to modify them. For now it's still possible to choose "Save as" and store the file on a different location and modify it. Is PDF really the only solution or should I be able to do the job with NTFS permissions. Thanks <bshort1023@yahoo...

Problems with Using OPEN in Fortran MEX
OS - Win 7 Ultimate - 64 bit MATLAB - 2010a - 64 bit Fortran - Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 I have a DOS Fortran program that uses lookup tables contained in binary files on the local hard drive read in using "OPEN". The lookup tables are static and do not change from run to run. The program works fine. I wrote a wrapper for the program, had a few issues that I eventually worked out, but now the mexFunction wrapper is working. (I checked with "mexPrintf", and the inputs argument passed from MatLab are all correct) However, deep in the program, it bombs when I call the "...

Cannot open MS Word from within our VO app
Hi all, the OrtoWin software we develop, contains a few connections via OLE to open MS Word and MS Outlook, etc. One of our customers isn't capable of opening MS Word from within our OrtoWin application. We added a few messageboxes into the app, in order to find the exact location of the fault in the code. The problem seems to be in the call procedure of the OLE object. When we check if the object is NIL, the answer is no, so we have an object. When we continue and check if the fInit is succeeded, the returnvalue is false, so the fInit had failed. We have reasons...

How do I open this
Can anybody tell me what program I can use to open this I tried gsview, distiller, rope, and a bunch of other small programs. they all give me errors. I have windows but can get to a mac, but dont know were to get pagemaker at least a version that will open this file. So does anybody know a program that will more than likely open it. all programs usually give me to errors missing font times-roman, and an error saying that the file is corrupt or terminates early. please help. here is what the first part of the file says %!PS-Adobe-2.0 %%Title: chap6.sltn.new %%Creator: PageMaker 4.21 %%Creat...

Reading LAST line from text file without iterating through the file?
Is it possible to read the last text line from a text file WITHOUT reading the previous (n-1) lines? Robin On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:59:36 +0000, Robin Wenger wrote: > Is it possible to read the last text line from a text file WITHOUT > reading the previous (n-1) lines? > > Robin You'd need to use RandomAccess, seek to the end of the file, work your way back looking for a linefeed/CR, and then slurp forward again into a buffer. While seeking backwards you can count characters and thus know exactly how big to make the StringBuilder for maximum efficiency. ...