Can't open PSP files from Explorer

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in Windows Explorer
or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I usually use. Each time, another
instance of PSP 9 opens, but the image does not appear. Instead, I get a
Windows error message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
BMP files open normally.

However, if I start PaintShop Pro 9 first, I can use PSP 9's File/Open
command to open the file normally.

PSP 9 is specified as the default program for opening PSPs, but I also have
PSP 7 and 8 installed on the computer. I've been using PSP 9 for quite a
while without having this problem.

Is this a malfunction of Windows or with PSP 9? It feels like something has
gotten corrupted or some Windows setting has changed. Is it generally
necessary to re-install PSP 9 in cases like this?

I recently bought PSP XI, and plan to install it and keep PSP 9 until I
decide if I like XI better. Given this problem with opening PSP files,
should I take any special precautions when installing PSP XI?

Thank you.

Orrie

0
Reply Orrie 10/25/2006 3:30:51 AM

See related articles to this posting

Orrie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
> BMP files open normally.
[snip]

Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
simple cures first:

1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
check mark.

2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
http://support.corel.com.
--
Fred Hiltz,  fhiltz at yahoo dot com

0
Reply Fred 10/25/2006 11:47:47 AM

Thanks, Fred.

It's sort of working now. I reset the PSP 9 Preferences file association as
you suggested, then exited and restarted Windows. Now, when I click on a JPG
file, the PSP 9 splash screen appears immediately, but the program does not
appear on-screen or on the task bar. If I wait a several seconds,
right-click on the file in 2xExplorer or Explore, then click Open, PSP 9
appears instantly, showing the image. It's as if it was hiding and just
needed that little nudge to pop open.

I'll try the Registry change next.

Orrie

"Fred Hiltz" <not@home.ca> wrote in message
> Orrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>> BMP files open normally.
> [snip]
>
> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
> simple cures first:
>
> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
> check mark.
>
> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
> http://support.corel.com.
> --
> Fred Hiltz,  fhiltz at yahoo dot com

0
Reply Orrie 10/25/2006 9:04:50 PM

Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:

> Orrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>> BMP files open normally.
> [snip]
>
> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
> simple cures first:
>
> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set the
> check mark.

Not the best advice IMHO.

In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.  Scroll
down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in PSP.

Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click > Open
with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these type
of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!

Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the same.

> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
> http://support.corel.com.

Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.

Hope this helps.

Later......

     LabRat......  |:^{)

0
Reply LabRat 11/2/2006 2:33:18 AM

"LabRat" <idontknow@idontcare.org> wrote in message
> Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
> comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:
>
>> Orrie wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can no longer open PSP image files by clicking on them in
>>> Windows Explorer or 2xExplorer, the file manager that I
>>> usually use. Each time, another instance of PSP 9 opens, but
>>> the image does not appear. Instead, I get a Windows error
>>> message saying that Windows cannot find the file. JPG, TIF and
>>> BMP files open normally.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
>> simple cures first:
>>
>> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
>> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set
>> the
>> check mark.
>
> Not the best advice IMHO.
>
> In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.
> Scroll
> down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in
> PSP.
>
> Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
> Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click >
> Open
> with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these
> type
> of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
> checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!
>
> Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the
> same.
>

>> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
>> http://support.corel.com.
>
> Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Later......
>
>     LabRat......  |:^{)

You don't know much about programming and Windows' registry, do you.
:-)

(that's a rhetorical question/comment, the answer is obvious)

0
Reply DJJohnson 11/2/2006 3:03:14 AM

DJJohnson voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 01 Nov 2006 07:03:14p:

> "LabRat" <idontknow@idontcare.org> wrote in message
>> Fred Hiltz voiced his/her/it's humble opinion in
>> comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro on Wed 25 Oct 2006 03:47:47a:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Your Windows file association of JPG to PSP is hosed. Try these
>>> simple cures first:
>>>
>>> 1. File > Preferences > File Format Associations. Clear the check
>>> mark on JPEG. Exit PSP. Restart Windows, come back here, and set
>>> the
>>> check mark.
>>
>> Not the best advice IMHO.
>>
>> In windoze Explorer goto Tools > Folder Options > File types.
>> Scroll
>> down to Jpg, jpeg or any others that you would prefer to open in
>> PSP.
>>
>> Select, then hit delete on any listed file types you wish to change.
>> Close the box then in Explorer go find a .jpg etc.  Right click >
>> Open
>> with.. > scroll down to the version of PSP you want to open these
>> type
>> of files with and make sure the Check Box "Always open with..." is
>> checked.  Bahda bing, bahda boom.  Fixed!
>>
>> Do not use but pretty sure that 2xExplorer would work somewhat the
>> same.
>>

>>> 2. Make the Registry change described in Answer ID 758546 at
>>> http://support.corel.com.
>>
>> Beware of home made registry changes.  Mucho bad juju therein.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> Later......
>>
>>     LabRat......  |:^{)
>>

> You don't know much about programming and Windows' registry, do you.
>:-)
>
> (that's a rhetorical question/comment, the answer is obvious)

I can do BASIC and have been messing around in the registry since '95
enough to give tyros a warning afore they venture into the dark arts.

Oh yeah.

Fuck you.  Program that A-hole Troll.

--
Later......

     LabRat......  |:^{)

0
Reply LabRat 11/2/2006 3:49:25 AM
comp.paint-shop-pro 6012 articles. 30 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[...]

PSP 9 opens PSP 7 files, right?
OK, a bit late for me to ask this, but PSP 9 will easily open PSP 7 files, right? Will I have to do anthing complicated to let PSP 9 work with PSP 7 files? "GSHATTERHAND" <gshatterhand@aol.com> wrote in message news:20050206172731.11120.00000422@mb-m18.aol.com... > OK, a bit late for me to ask this, but PSP 9 will easily open PSP 7 files, > right? > > Will I have to do anthing complicated to let PSP 9 work with PSP 7 files? No but you have to save as PSP 7 compatible if you want to open PSP 9 files in PSP 7 GSHATTERHAND wrote: > > OK, a bit late for...

PSP 9 opens PSP 7 files, right?
OK, a bit late for me to ask this, but PSP 9 will easily open PSP 7 files, right? Will I have to do anthing complicated to let PSP 9 work with PSP 7 files? "GSHATTERHAND" <gshatterhand@aol.com> wrote in message news:20050206172731.11120.00000422@mb-m18.aol.com... > OK, a bit late for me to ask this, but PSP 9 will easily open PSP 7 files, > right? > > Will I have to do anthing complicated to let PSP 9 work with PSP 7 files? No but you have to save as PSP 7 compatible if you want to open PSP 9 files in PSP 7 GSHATTERHAND wrote: > > OK, a bit late for...

PSP X2 Crashing On File Open Or File Batch Process
I've recently installed Paintshop Pro X2 on a new PC. However for some reason when I click either FILE > OPEN or FILE > BATCH PROCESS it crashes to desktop - everytime. There are no errors or warnings, the whole application just instantly disappears as if I've just clicked FILE > EXIT. It doesn't even leave any dead processes in Task Manager or events in Event Viewer. Fortunately I can open photos in PSP X2 by dragging them into the application from Explorer, but this is obviously very inconvenient. As such I've been looking around Google and Corels support pages a...

Opening files from Windows Explorer
I usually find it easier to open files by double-clicking on them in Windows Explorer, rather than browsing for them from the app. In Solidworks this has a few drawbacks, one of which is that you don't get the options to open the file either lightweight or as view-only. Is there any way round this? Can this sort of functionality be added to the RMB options? John H "John H" <john.harland.delete@texkimp.co.uk> wrote in news:RPCdnfIY6JdD6CXbRVnyhAA@bt.com: > I usually find it easier to open files by double-clicking on them in > Windows Explorer, rather than bro...

What software again for open the psp file?
i get the problem for open the psp file.. wht the other software able to open the psp file? On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:51:12 -0500, "miko" <meekwan@gmail.com> wrote: >i get the problem for open the psp file.. wht the other software able to >open the psp file? Irfan will open just about anything. Wasn't it Dyuob Poltice who wrote: >On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:51:12 -0500, "miko" <meekwan@gmail.com> wrote: > >>i get the problem for open the psp file.. wht the other software able to >>open the psp file? > >Irfan will open just about...

Unable to open a *.psp file
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem - and how they solved it, if possible: I scanned a B&W film in tiff format, edited it in PSP7 and saved it in that format. I can no longer open these files but get an error message when I try to do so, saying the file is damaged (or something like that). Thank you. in article l50u4ilsm9tk$.1r8eexktoagp2$.dlg@40tude.net, Adolph B. Amster at dolph@mchsi.com wrote on 9/23/03 6:33 PM: > I scanned a B&W film in tiff format, edited it in PSP7 and saved it in > that format. I can no longer open these files but get an error message...

[...]

Opening multiple files in PSP from thumbsplus!?!
Hi all, I remember many moons ago, being able to highlight several files in thumbsplus and by choosing edit, ALL those files would then open in PSP. However, for some time now (and several versions of PSP) i've been unable to do this. Only the first of the selected files opens now, meaning i have to highlight and then open each one seperately. :( Is there a setting i'm missing in one program or the other that allows me to open several files at once or was this feature taken out of one of the programs? Any help is appreciated :) Many thanks Bubba <bubba@home.com> wrote in ...

Opening .fig files from Windows explorer
I have used Guide to generate several gui programs. When I first open Matlab and call one of these programs by typing its file name in the command line, it runs just fine. However, if I try to open the program by double clicking on the .fig file in Windows Explorer, it does not run properly. The program opens, but as soon as I try and do anything with it, I receive error messages like: ??? Attempt to reference field of non-structure array. Error in ==> AnalyzeImages>LoadImageMenu_Callback at 432 if isempty(handles.Data.Images(1).Original) This element of the handles structure is ...

Locate a file by opening up Windows Explorer
Hi, I would like to show the user, of my application, where a file is located in his hard-drive by opening Windows Explorer, have it browse to the directory that holds that file and highlight the file. I know the fullpath of the file in question, but I have no clue which API I should be using to direct Windows Explorer to locate the file for the user. Thanks in advance! "Stanley" <orangerobin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8fe7832d.0411052314.5ca01095@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I would like to show the user, of my application, where a file i...

Opening multiple files in PSP from thumbsplus!?!
Hi all, I remember many moons ago, being able to highlight several files in thumbsplus and by choosing edit, ALL those files would then open in PSP. However, for some time now (and several versions of PSP) i've been unable to do this. Only the first of the selected files opens now, meaning i have to highlight and then open each one seperately. :( Is there a setting i'm missing in one program or the other that allows me to open several files at once or was this feature taken out of one of the programs? Any help is appreciated :) Many thanks Bubba <bubba@home.com> wrote in ...

PSP X2 File Open Menu View
How can I set PSP X2 so that the file open menu is always in Details view? It defaults to thumbnails view. Even if I change it to details view it is back to thumbnails the next time I go to file open. Is there any way to get it to stay on details view? Note: changing the view setting for the folder in Windows Explorer has no effect on this. Peter ...

PSP 9.01 Error on Opening Files
Help!! :-)... I think I've tried everything, but this one has me fuming. What a nuisance!! I get the following error message when I double-click on a PSP.JPG file. Cannot find the file "....."(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all libraries are available. PaintShop Pro 9.01 Windows 2000 JPG files show the PSP "pallet and brush" logo. The same behavior for "tif", "pspimage", "jpg" and "JPG" file types. I've followed advise from the Corel site but can't get this problem resol...

New matlab session when opening files from explorer
Hi, I'm using Matlab on WindowsXP. When I double click a .fig file in explorer it opens a new session of Matlab - not the one currently running. Normally for Windows, you can look at the advanced file type settings and see the actions associated with, for example, .fig. However, the only assigned action is 'open', there is no action for 'open in the same window' are there are with most file types. If Matlab accepts DDE, then it's not too tricky to set one up manually, but does anyone know the switches needed to request Matlab to use the current session? Cheers, Richa...

open simulink file using windows explorer :
when i start a simulink file using windows explorer file browser, it automatically a new instance of matlab, and the requested mdl file is opened under that instance. how can i configure matlab so it'll open the simulink file from the already activated matlab without open a new process ? thanks, Adam Adam wrote: > when i start a simulink file using windows explorer file browser, it > automatically a new instance of matlab, and the requested mdl file is > opened under that instance. > > how can i configure matlab so it'll open the simulink file from the > already a...

[...]

SW2004, when opening a file via explorer, toolbars move.
Have any of you noticed with SW2004, when opening a file via explorer, the toolbars move. http://zxys.com/sw2004-screen1.png http://zxys.com/sw2004-screen2.png The only workaround seems to be leaving enough room at the sides or ends of the toolbars? Maybe there is a new expand/move toolbars option when opening files via explorer that I'm missing? ;^] ... -- Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG My politcally correct/sensitive society/SW cult member disclaimer: ***This reply contains lies, whining, conspiracy theory and a lot of straight-up BS. This reply is to b...

Cannot open Nikon NEF files with PSP 9.01
I have just bought a Nikon D200 DSLR. When I try to open .nef files in PSP 9.01 I get a "not recognised" error. Can anyone help? Regards -- John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK) <john@coedana.plus.com> wrote in message news:sr3t839l4p6oij5b18j1nli2qqudr4qmfb@4ax.com... >I have just bought a Nikon D200 DSLR. When I try to open .nef files > in PSP 9.01 I get a "not recognised" error. > > Can anyone help? > > > Regards > > -- > John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK) Sorry John But Raw support in psp 9 did not go as far as the D200. -- I&#...

Failure to open and view files with SAS Explorer window.
SAS9.1.3 , sp4 has not been installed, Win XP Pro This morning, I had a long session involving multiple reads of several files with about 30,000 obs and on a number of occasions, opened some of these with the SAS Explorer window. Then I had occasion in the same session to run a job that read and combined a number of files. The largest of these is 349,000 records and there is another with 305,000 obs. Again, I opened and examined these files with the file viewer. After doing this a couple times, I was suddenly unable to open any of the files that I clicked on. Their icons appeared in the explo...

Problem with opening data files (.sav) from Windows Explorer
My PASW client connects to a PASW server at startup. If I want to open a data file (.sav) by doubleclicking it in Windows Explorer, I first need to start my PASW client and then run a syntax like this in order to make the network share accessible for the PASW server: HOST command='net use T: /DELETE'. HOST command='net use T: \\srv-win-inf-123\l_abc'. In order to automate this procedure I wrote this autoscript: '#Language "WWB-COM" Option Explicit Sub Main Dim sDosCmd1 As String Dim sDosCmd2 As String sDosCmd1 = "net use T: /DELETE :yes&q...

Explorer opens and reads every file in a directory for its thumbnails
Hi... Windows explorer seems to read all contents of every file in a directory when you enter a directory to display thumbnails of the files in that directory... This causes too much network chatter... Can this be disabled on the file server end? If so, how? Jon jondelac@gmail.com enlightened us comp.protocols.smb-(ab)users with: > Hi... Windows explorer seems to read all contents of every file in a > directory when you enter a directory to display thumbnails of the > files > in that directory... This causes too much network chatter... > > Can this be ...