Epson or Canon Printer..

It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my
current model is the Stylus Photo 820.

But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my
Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still
a better photo printer?

In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so
changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true?

I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned
how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
clogged print heads.
--
  JD..
0

In article <LXq4h.33448$Fi1.21718@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
JD@example.invalid says...
> I've learned
> how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
> clogged print heads.

Hey, how do you do that? That sounds like a great trick. Do you have to
shove the print heads out of the way to get to it? Do you just dampen the
sponge or get it pretty wet? If you could write up all the details of
this I think it would help lots of people.

Thanks,
Grant
0
Grant
11/8/2006 8:47:11 PM
On 08-Nov-06 14:47, Grant Robertson wrote:

> In article <LXq4h.33448$Fi1.21718@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> JD@example.invalid says...
>
>>I've learned
>>how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
>>clogged print heads.
>

> Hey, how do you do that? That sounds like a great trick. Do you have to
> shove the print heads out of the way to get to it? Do you just dampen the
> sponge or get it pretty wet? If you could write up all the details of
> this I think it would help lots of people.
>
> Thanks,
> Grant

What I do is push the button to move the print head and ink cartridges
to the center of the printer.

If you look inside the printer, you'll see a little sponge off to one
side, it's where the print head and ink cartridges normally sit. I use a
flashlight to see in there.

I use windex with ammonia-d. I take a eye-dropper and fill it up and
then squirt it onto the little sponge. I'll do that two or three times
but in between each time I'll push the button to move the print head and
ink cartridges back to their resting place. I do that because sometimes
they move over there automatically(?) and then you've got a eye dropper
down in your printer. That's not good and could really screw up the printer.

I squirt enough windex to make the sponge very wet looking. Once the
print head and ink cartridges are back in their resting place I turn the
printer off although I'm not sure that's necessary.

This is what I do. No guarantee but it works for me every time.

--
  JD..
0
> This is what I do. No guarantee but it works for me every time.

Great. Thanks.
0
Grant
11/9/2006 6:05:52 AM
On 08-Nov-06 14:17, JD wrote:

> It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my
> current model is the Stylus Photo 820.
>
> But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my
> Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still
> a better photo printer?
>
> In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so
> changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true?
>
> I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned
> how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
> clogged print heads.

Due to the underwhelming response I had to make the decision on which
printer to buy by myself.

I purchased two of the Epson "Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer." It
installed on Windows 2000 Pro without any problems and the first test
photo print and the first test text print look very good.

Why two printers? The price difference between the printer and the six
replacement ink cartridges was $10 although now that I've installed the
printer I see Epson does not package each cartridge in it's own shrink
wrap package so I may return the second printer. Epson suggest one does
not open the package until the cartridge is ready to be installed and I
can't do that with the second set of cartridges in the other printer box.

--
  JD..
0
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:11:29 GMT, JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

>On 08-Nov-06 14:17, JD wrote:
>
>> It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my
>> current model is the Stylus Photo 820.
>>
>> But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my
>> Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still
>> a better photo printer?
>>
>> In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so
>> changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true?
>>
>> I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned
>> how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
>> clogged print heads.
>
>Due to the underwhelming response I had to make the decision on which
>printer to buy by myself.
>
>I purchased two of the Epson "Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer." It
>installed on Windows 2000 Pro without any problems and the first test
>photo print and the first test text print look very good.
>
>Why two printers? The price difference between the printer and the six
>replacement ink cartridges was $10 although now that I've installed the
>printer I see Epson does not package each cartridge in it's own shrink
>wrap package so I may return the second printer. Epson suggest one does
>not open the package until the cartridge is ready to be installed and I
>can't do that with the second set of cartridges in the other printer box.

Do those cartridges contain the standard charge of ink??  Most
printers come with reduced ink or toner as the start up to force you
to buy new ink as soon as possible. Epson make their money on the ink
and not the printer.  Also find a non Epson ink supply that you like
and stick to that.  You will save a fortune.

Why not put the spare cartridges in an airtight bag and seal.  If you
get rid of as much air as you can they should be OK for a while.

Also I would keep the second printer and get a set a black only inks
to print high quality B&W photos.  It is much better to do this with a
new printer than one that has been used for colour in the past.

John
0
John
11/19/2006 5:21:13 PM
On 19-Nov-06 11:21, John@world.com wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:11:29 GMT, JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:
>

>>On 08-Nov-06 14:17, JD wrote:
>>

>>>It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my
>>>current model is the Stylus Photo 820.
>>>
>>>But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my
>>>Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still
>>>a better photo printer?
>>>
>>>In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so
>>>changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true?
>>>
>>>I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned
>>>how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
>>>clogged print heads.
>>
>>Due to the underwhelming response I had to make the decision on which
>>printer to buy by myself.
>>
>>I purchased two of the Epson "Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer." It
>>installed on Windows 2000 Pro without any problems and the first test
>>photo print and the first test text print look very good.
>>
>>Why two printers? The price difference between the printer and the six
>>replacement ink cartridges was $10 although now that I've installed the
>>printer I see Epson does not package each cartridge in it's own shrink
>>wrap package so I may return the second printer. Epson suggest one does
>>not open the package until the cartridge is ready to be installed and I
>>can't do that with the second set of cartridges in the other printer box.
>

> Do those cartridges contain the standard charge of ink??  Most
> printers come with reduced ink or toner as the start up to force you
> to buy new ink as soon as possible. Epson make their money on the ink
> and not the printer.  Also find a non Epson ink supply that you like
> and stick to that.  You will save a fortune.

I don't know if Epson original cartridges contain the standard charge of
ink or not. In my past Epsons they seemed to last as long as the
replacement cartridges. I don't print that much so I've never looked for
non-Epson ink cartridges. Epson does offer cartridges for this printer
that have more ink than the standard cartridges. I thought I might try
those.

> Why not put the spare cartridges in an airtight bag and seal.  If you
> get rid of as much air as you can they should be OK for a while.

That is an option but now you've got me wondering how much ink is in the
original cartridges.<g>

> Also I would keep the second printer and get a set a black only inks
> to print high quality B&W photos.  It is much better to do this with a
> new printer than one that has been used for colour in the past.

I don't print high quality B&W photos. Call me new fashioned but I like
color photos. I started out developing my own B&W film and making B&W
prints but my digital camera and photoshop have changed all that.

--
  JD..
0

"JD" <JD@example.invalid> wrote in message

> I don't print high quality B&W photos. Call me new fashioned but I like
> color photos. I started out developing my own B&W film and making B&W
> prints but my digital camera and photoshop have changed all that.

I doubt that the carts that ship with the printer contain less ink.  It does
take extra ink to fill the heads, so that may account for people's
perception that the first set of cartridges contain less ink.  So I'd keep
the second set of cartridges.  You'll need them soon enough.

Here's an idea - sell the second "dry" printer on eBay.  If you clear more
than 10 dollars on it - perhaps from a B&W aficionado - you'll come out
ahead.  Don't forget shipping!
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

0
Mike
11/19/2006 11:07:47 PM
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:11:30 GMT, JD <JD@example.invalid> wrote:

>On 19-Nov-06 11:21, John@world.com wrote:

>>>Due to the underwhelming response I had to make the decision on which
>>>printer to buy by myself.
>>>
>>>I purchased two of the Epson "Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer." It
>>>installed on Windows 2000 Pro without any problems and the first test
>>>photo print and the first test text print look very good.
>>>
>>>Why two printers? The price difference between the printer and the six
>>>replacement ink cartridges was $10 although now that I've installed the
>>>printer I see Epson does not package each cartridge in it's own shrink
>>>wrap package so I may return the second printer. Epson suggest one does
>>>not open the package until the cartridge is ready to be installed and I
>>>can't do that with the second set of cartridges in the other printer box.
>>

>> Do those cartridges contain the standard charge of ink??  Most
>> printers come with reduced ink or toner as the start up to force you
>> to buy new ink as soon as possible. Epson make their money on the ink
>> and not the printer.  Also find a non Epson ink supply that you like
>> and stick to that.  You will save a fortune.
>
>I don't know if Epson original cartridges contain the standard charge of
>ink or not. In my past Epsons they seemed to last as long as the
>replacement cartridges. I don't print that much so I've never looked for
>non-Epson ink cartridges. Epson does offer cartridges for this printer
>that have more ink than the standard cartridges. I thought I might try
>those.
>
>> Why not put the spare cartridges in an airtight bag and seal.  If you
>> get rid of as much air as you can they should be OK for a while.
>
>That is an option but now you've got me wondering how much ink is in the
>original cartridges.<g>
>
>> Also I would keep the second printer and get a set a black only inks
>> to print high quality B&W photos.  It is much better to do this with a
>> new printer than one that has been used for colour in the past.
>
>I don't print high quality B&W photos. Call me new fashioned but I like
>color photos. I started out developing my own B&W film and making B&W
>prints but my digital camera and photoshop have changed all that.
>
>> John

Re the B&W - If you do not need the money now I would give it a few
months - you may well change your mind - I did.

John
0
John
11/21/2006 7:48:05 PM
JD wrote:

> On 08-Nov-06 14:17, JD wrote:
>
>> It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my
>> current model is the Stylus Photo 820.
>>
>> But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my
>> Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson
>> still a better photo printer?
>>
>> In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head
>> so changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that
>> true?
>>
>> I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned
>> how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the
>> clogged print heads.
>

> Due to the underwhelming response I had to make the decision on which
> printer to buy by myself.
>
> I purchased two of the Epson "Hi-Definition R260 Photo Printer." It
> installed on Windows 2000 Pro without any problems and the first test
> photo print and the first test text print look very good.
>
> Why two printers?

Its to print A3 size prints 2 x A4  ??????
0
Rob