Photoshop surgery: swapping heads and other body parts

Greetings all,

For quite some time I've been working in Photoshop to perfect the art
of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may
call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I
find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more
times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the
touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain,
texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
know it can be done because I've seen other examples floating around
here and there, usually on the web,  where you know a Photoshop master
got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes
of something that can't possibly exist but yet it looks totally
believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"

(perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner,"
where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big
engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are
small pods or "passenger sections.")

Seems like I've been trying forever (a very long time) to find good
information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this
somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To
Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but
are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the
matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or
tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone
could let me know. Thank you.

James
0
James_D
1/5/2008 5:45:01 AM
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop 8041 articles. 0 followers. ronviers (102) is leader. Post Follow

On Jan 4, 11:45 pm, Jame...@nomail.com.com wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> For quite some time I've been working in Photoshop to perfect the art
> of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may
> call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I
> find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more
> times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the
> touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain,
> texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
> know it can be done because I've seen other examples floating around
> here and there, usually on the web,  where you know a Photoshop master
> got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes
> of something that can't possibly exist but yet it looks totally
> believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"
>
> (perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner,"
> where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big
> engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are
> small pods or "passenger sections.")
>
> Seems like I've been trying forever (a very long time) to find good
> information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this
> somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To
> Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but
> are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the
> matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or
> tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone
> could let me know. Thank you.
>
> James

At worth1000.com you will find masters at this as well tutorials and
you can even compete with other members as a way to improve. At the
end of the contests the other members provide critique and answer
questions. It's fun but addictive so I got out.

Good luck,
Ron

0
ronviers

Photoshop/Photoshop CS ?
What is the difference between Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS? Sometimes I see them used synonymously and some times differently. Sidney Friedman wrote: > What is the difference between Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS? Sometimes I > see them used synonymously and some times differently. Photoshop CS is a newer version than Photoshop 7. Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock If you open the About dialog for PS CS it says Version 8.0. Dane "Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:ifnSf.1492$4L1.77@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... > What is the diffe...

Photoshop CS3 Beta review of Photoshop, parts 1, 2 and 3
Hi All, As part of my ongoing review of the CS3 Beta I've uploaded three new articles on my site on Photoshop, looking at the user interface, ImageReady, Smart Filters and Black and White: <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/pscs3.php> More to follow. Cheers, Wayne Wayne J. Cosshall Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker, http://www.dimagemaker.com/ Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/ Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com Workshops and seminars: http://www.thedigitalimagemaker.com/ Personal art site http://www.artinyour...

Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements
I bought the package with Elements 4 and Premiere Elements for $150. I assume there is a moneyback for a month like usual. I thought the Elements would work will with Photoshop 6 but I can't even open a pic in Elements to a shell (Photoshop) to use it, especially with actions, etc... I'm not seeing anything special about Premiere Elements, so maybe I'd have been better off to upgrade to Photoshop CS ... ? "aka 717" <no@spam.net> wrote in message news:0NE4f.7080$eW1.2973@okepread04... >I bought the package with Elements 4 and Premiere Elements > for $150...

PHOTOSHOP
I want to run my Photoshop 7 on my linux box. I see on winhq page that it is supported by wine. I download last package fomr my RedHat 9, but i have some troubles to run it. Any ideas? Thanks, Max Massimo Burcheri <massimo.ext@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<big8gk$94ii0$1@ID-38444.news.uni-berlin.de>... > Hi. > I am running Photoshop 5.5 without problems on wine. > Also RedHat9. > When I run the setup I get the following unhandled exception. [root@linuxa1 Adobe Photoshop 6.0]# wine SETUP.EXE wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0036), starting debugge...

PhotoShop

photoshop
Can anyone help. I scanned a photo of a flower into photoshop now I want to change the colour of it. What do I need to do. "Lisa" <saltmna@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:32af43b4.0411261558.24363445@posting.google.com... > Can anyone help. I scanned a photo of a flower into photoshop now I > want to change the colour of it. What do I need to do. This is possible with Photoshop. First, it's always a good idea to make a copy of your original layer by dragging it to the New Layer Icon at the bottom of the layers palette. If the background is uniformly the sa...

Photoshop
I'm getting up there in years and am new to computers AND have just switched from pc to Mac so I don't follow technical discussions. I need an easy to use photo program that allows me to combine several photos into one (jpg or bmp format.) Is Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 what I'm looking for? The guy at the Apple Store couldn't tell me (is THAT any way to run an airline?!) Other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks * posted via http://www.mymac.ws * please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac In article <u1120099803@aknode.invalid>, mwilson <minacwilso...

photoshop
Can sombeody give me a link to download photoshop, a new one... > Can sombeody give me a link to download photoshop, a new one... Here ya go! http://www.gimp.org/ -- Phlip http://flea.sourceforge.net/PiglegToo_1.html On May 31, 2:15 pm, "Josip" <j...@dasd.com> wrote: > Can sombeody give me a link to download photoshop, a new one... How about http://www.adobe.com/downloads/ ...

running a photoshop plugin without photoshop
Hi All. We have photoshop 6,7 (many copies) in our office. One problem with it is when we use a custom plugin for 3D datasets, we can ply open one frame or open all the frames in individual windows. (it is a medical image format). If we use somethng like Imagetool, we can use the custom photoshop plugin to load all the frames into a series (like a movie). I am greating an application so colleagues elsewhere can view my data, because many dont have photoshop, and I want to know this. If I want to run a photoshop plugin on an external engine, is there a runtime that can let me do this. I coul...

Photoshop 7 and Photoshop Elements on same drive
Photoshop Elements came with my scanner. I like its simple interface and might start using it for photo management. Is Photoshop Elements installation totally separate from regular Photoshop (v7)? IOW, if I install PE, will it overwrite any Photoshop components already on my hard drive and/or cause problems? Hei You can install Photoshop Elements. It will not override anything from a = normal Photoshop package. I have on my OS 9.2.x both a Photoshop 5.5 and a Photoshop Elements 2.0, = no problems there. And on my OS X I have Photoshop 7.0 and had also had=20 a trial version of Photosh...

How To Do This In Photoshop?
Can anyone help me out on how (if possible) something like this, or very close to it, is achieved in photoshop? Here's a link to what I'm talking about (it's the IMDB - Internet Movie database so not as spam link) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/photogallery B Roberts wrote: > Can anyone help me out on how (if possible) something like this, or > very close to it, is achieved in photoshop? > > Here's a link to what I'm talking about (it's the IMDB - Internet > Movie database so not as spam link) > > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386741/photo...

Photoshop more than an app...a Platform
http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1759,1773345,00.asp -- Regards, JP "The measure of a man is what he will do while expecting that he will get nothing in return!" In article <jpolaski-0D2F98.10085008032005@netnews.comcast.net>, Jim Polaski <jpolaski@NOSPMync.net> wrote: > http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1759,1773345,00.asp What's so nice about applications like Photoshop is that their practical application is virtually limitless in the proper contexts. I wonder if it will join GNU Emacs in the same HOF, so to speak: "I don't need an OS... I run Em...

Experimental Photoshop Graphics
http://detrus.nivr.net Very funky photoshop experiments ...

Photoshop experts use Photoshop 1.0
http://videosift.com/video/Photoshop-experts-use-Photoshop-1-0 -- Quote of the Week: "..., you ready for a little dumpster diving?" "Um... okay." "You know I don't mind getting my hands dirty." "I mean, maggots, wet trash, I am the first one in." "Okay, so what are you waiting for?" "Ants." (Chuckles) "Ants?" "Yes, I have got a problem with ants." "They are sneaky, and they are mobile, and when they get on you, even if you get them off..." "Okay, Calleigh, chill." --CSI: Miami ...

Photoshop experts test Photoshop 1.0
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA46JT2q_0> -- Michelle On 2015-03-21 00:05:35 +0000, Michelle Steiner said: > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtA46JT2q_0> > > -- Michelle Why was that not surprising? Am I glad those days are long gone. I know that I would not be comfortable going back to PS LE, PS5, or PS7. Though PS7 was a major leap it cannot compare with the current version of PS CC, and as demonstrated PS1 would be frustratingly imposible. There are so many features I would miss if I lost what I have today. I am happy to pay that $9.99/mont...

how to transplant heads with photoshop
Hello, I have two photos: a head with bright skin color and a body picture with a darker sun tan skin color. Is there any tutorial or hint how to match them? Uwe -- mail to newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info is read only from time to time. If you need an urgent answer, google for me. Uwe Ziegenhagen <newsgroup@ziegenhagen.info> wrote: > I have two photos: a head with bright skin color and a body picture with > a darker sun tan skin color. Is there any tutorial or hint how to match > them? Try http://www.fake-detective.com/. Full of useful hints. -- | James Gifford *...

Seems Photoshop CS is a step back from Photoshop 7
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 A Soberon wrote: > http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 > > Adobe stock is up. Now, where did you say Jasc went? :-) Uni A Soberon wrote: > http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 I missed Photoshop 7 because it didn't offer me a significant improvement compared with Photoshop 6. So I can't compare CS with 7 by personal experience. But, once I bought a digital camera, and started shooting Raw, I immediatel...

Seems Photoshop CS is a step back from Photoshop 7
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 A Soberon wrote: > http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 > > Adobe stock is up. Now, where did you say Jasc went? :-) Uni A Soberon wrote: > http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2396 I missed Photoshop 7 because it didn't offer me a significant improvement compared with Photoshop 6. So I can't compare CS with 7 by personal experience. But, once I bought a digital camera, and started shooting Raw, I immediatel...

which is better--photoshop 6.0 or photoshop 7.0
Though I am not an expert on Photoshop, I know my way around it, and, after much deliberation, I have decided to purchase a Photoshop program. Now the question is whether I want 6.0 or 7.0. I would like to hear opinions by people who have used both. Which is better? I will eventually want to use the program to help me build a website, though I am after more than just that in the program. What is different about 7.0? Thanks! Laura "Laura" <ketajan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:52b0f747.0402040823.1fbfda55@posting.google.com... > Though I am not an expert on Photos...

Can Mac Photoshop 6 read PC Photoshop files?
Dear all, I have done an artwork on my PC using Photoshop 7. However, when i pass the disc to my friend who is using a Mac with Photoshop 6, he said he couldnt open my file. I have save 2 different versions for my artwork. One is .PSD (layer file) and the other one in .TIFF but he couldnt open both! Does it mean that lower version Photoshop 6 cannot read higher version? Or is it PC and Mac problem? Was wondering what could be the cause... Need advise urgently! Thank you. Lee <pjveron@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have done an artwork on my PC using Photoshop 7. Howe...

Graphic Converter vs Photoshop
Which one is better? -- Are there errors in the Bible? How should a church conduct its worship services? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is racism wrong? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info In article <jwolf6589-0E8281.22135230032010@nntp.charter.net>, John <jwolf6589@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote: > Which one is better? photoshop does *far* more things than graphic converter could ever dream of (and much faster too), but it really depends on what you need to do. converting obscure file formats is b...

Inporting PhotoShop 7 graphics
Hello all; I'm an experienced PSP 7 user and software engineer. I'm using PSP 7 to create temporary graphics for an app I'm working on, and also to process the graphics sent to me by our artist (who's in another hemisphere, unfortunately). The artist sens me graphics in .bmp format, which I then integrate into the program. Unfortunatley, there are occassionally a few things that are not right, and it is easier to fix them myself rather than try to do the transcontinental communications thing. I do have access to the master .PSD files, but unfortunately, these are creat...

Inporting PhotoShop 7 graphics
Hello all; I'm an experienced PSP 7 user and software engineer. I'm using PSP 7 to create temporary graphics for an app I'm working on, and also to process the graphics sent to me by our artist (who's in another hemisphere, unfortunately). The artist sens me graphics in .bmp format, which I then integrate into the program. Unfortunatley, there are occassionally a few things that are not right, and it is easier to fix them myself rather than try to do the transcontinental communications thing. I do have access to the master .PSD files, but unfortunately, these are creat...

Extracting a graphic from Word to Photoshop
I have a Word file that has an embedded graphic. When I resize the the graphic it "does not lose resolution" (no pixelation, up to a certain point) I tried extracting that graphic by (in Word) select-Copy then in Photoshop File-New-OK-Paste. The graphic looks much worse than the original. I don't know how to extract the original graphic to a file (of whatever format it was). I ended up resizing the graphic in Word, printing to PDF, then save to TIF, which seems silly. Anyone has some ideas? KSH ksh9988@hotmail.com In article <aUNqb.13824$8x2.6701529@newssrv26.news.p...

Web resources about - Photoshop surgery: swapping heads and other body parts - comp.graphics.apps.photoshop

Make Photoshop Faster: 2 little tips to help speed up the tool web designers love to hate.
Photoshop's sluggishness getting you down? A few quick adjustments can make things all better. And ice cream, that usually helps too.

The Photoshop Etiquette Manifesto for Web Designers
Photoshop Etiquette: 40 ways promoting web designer/developer harmony using Phototshop.

Photoshop Tutorials - Photoshop Lady
Photoshop Lady - : Best Photoshop Tutorials Around the World

PhotoshopNews: Photoshop News and Information
Photoshop News and Information. PhotoshopNews.com is the latest news and info about the top pixel-wrangling application on the planet

Photoshop Pix Cool Links Untitled Document Untitled Document
Photoshop gallery, Classic TV Themes, Photoshop Tutorials and Contest Links

Photoshop tutorials, plugins and downloads : The Photoshop Roadmap
Hundreds of Photoshop tutorials, plugins, downloads and other graphics related resources.

Photoshop Tutorials & Adobe Photoshop Plugins - PhotoshopSupport.com
Site features free Adobe Photoshop tutorials and links to free Photoshop brushes, plugins and resources, a blog with the latest Photoshop news, ...

Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography - NAPP
NAPP is the smartest investment you can make when it comes to Photoshop training. No other resource has the tutorials, discounts, online tech ...

Photoshop Wireframing Kit
I have made various Wireframing and Prototyping tools in the past like: Sketchbook for web designers , Fireworks Mini Web Wireframing Kit , iPhone ...

World Without Photoshop - A Chopping Block Film
Imagine a world without Photoshop, a short film by the design team at The Chopping Block