Photoshop surgery: swapping heads and other body parts

Greetings all,

For quite some time I've been working in Photoshop to perfect the art
of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may
call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I
find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more
times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the
touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain,
texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
know it can be done because I've seen other examples floating around
here and there, usually on the web,  where you know a Photoshop master
got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes
of something that can't possibly exist but yet it looks totally
believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"

(perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner,"
where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big
engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are
small pods or "passenger sections.")

Seems like I've been trying forever (a very long time) to find good
information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this
somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To
Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but
are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the
matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or
tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone
could let me know. Thank you.

James
0
James_D
1/5/2008 5:45:01 AM
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop 8040 articles. 6 followers. ronviers (102) is leader. Post Follow

On Jan 4, 11:45 pm, Jame...@nomail.com.com wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> For quite some time I've been working in Photoshop to perfect the art
> of "swapping heads" and other forms of "Photoshop surgery" (some may
> call it "Photoshop trickery"). After much time, trial and error, I
> find that I can do it if a person has the patience. But still more
> times than not, there seems to be a lingering "fake" aspect to the
> touched up images. I do my best to match lighting, color, grain,
> texture and resolution, but yet they never seem to be quite perfect. I
> know it can be done because I've seen other examples floating around
> here and there, usually on the web,  where you know a Photoshop master
> got in there and did a completely believable composite. Even sometimes
> of something that can't possibly exist but yet it looks totally
> believable, and you findyorself asking, "is that real?"
>
> (perhaps some of you have seen the picture of the "jet airliner,"
> where what is normally the main long passenger section is one big
> engine, and under the wings where the engines would normally be, are
> small pods or "passenger sections.")
>
> Seems like I've been trying forever (a very long time) to find good
> information, books or tutorials (preferably video tutorials) on this
> somewhat obscure subject regarding Photoshop. Some books like "How To
> Cheat In Photoshop" by Steve Caplin, touch on the subject briefly but
> are otherwise very lacking and usually devote only 1 or 2 pages to the
> matter. Who are the masters? Is there anyone that puts out training or
> tutorials on this specific subject? I would be very grateful if anyone
> could let me know. Thank you.
>
> James

At worth1000.com you will find masters at this as well tutorials and
you can even compete with other members as a way to improve. At the
end of the contests the other members provide critique and answer
questions. It's fun but addictive so I got out.

Good luck,
Ron

0
ronviers

Iiyama 455/454 Pro and swap-out warranty issues
I'm considering buying an Iiyama 455 Pro (MM904UT) monitor for photo work because of its superb vivid colours. I phoned Iiyama's customer services to ask if their swap-out warranty monitors were *new* and they wouldn't give me a straight answer! They said "their NOT new but NOT refubished", what does this mean?? I ask this because my experience is that buying a monitor can be a mine-field of problems because of quality control issues. If there is a fault on delivery I don't want to end with a refurbished model, especially since most mailorder shops now (except DABS) ...

Re: recommendations for page/swap/dump files
> Presumably, these should be locally connected and not MSCP-served disks, > since that will a) be quicker and b) always be available, i.e. even when > the node is not part of a cluster. Correct, performance and availability of the disk drives is an issue. > Are single disks or shadow sets better? Of course, if a disk goes bad, > then there is a problem, but if one only has secondary page and swap > files on a dedicated disk, and minimal ones on the system disk, then one > can still continue until the disk is replaced. I'm thinking that with a > shadow set,...

Unable to flatten bends in sheet metal part
Hi all, Getting the following error when trying to flatten bends in a sheet metal part: Error Flatten-Bends5 This part contains features that cannot be unbent. Part was created as a solid and then converted to sheet metal part. Looks uniform thickness to me. If you need to look at the file let me know. Thanks, Daivd Did you make any cuts in it? Make sure that all faces are proper and not slicing at an angle to the thickness. WT "david" <david@synapsedesign.co.uk> wrote in message news:1177775119.072280.223290@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > Getting th...

PhotoShop training question
I am relatively new at PhotoShop CS and have taken a number of courses however the instructors were great but were moving so fast that now, a few days after the courses, I seem to forget a lot of the details so I would like to also to have additional resources for training. Does anyone have suggestions regarding training courses on DVD. Did a search on the web and there are a number of options but I am not sure which is the best. Thanks in advance for any feedback. "SSI" <ssi12nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d_ydndppIekGIvrfRVn-vw@comcast.com... >I am rela...

Re: OT: Off-topic, but not by much (Part II) #17
Shawn condescends and adds a little misdirection of his own (Denys would be proud of you): "thank you, you've now just confirmed what started this conversation. Wirts incorrect and inflammatory statements about the state of stem cell research. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. So 1 point for figuring it out and -1 point for not knowing that an embryo is a fertilized egg." As long as we're keeping score, that's -1 for childishly whining "Wirt did it first!", -1 for doing the same thing he did (hasn't anyone every told you that 2 w...

HELP
I'm getting the following error in CS2: " A required application library failed to load and the product cannot continue. Please reinstall the application." I've run a virus chek, spyware, registy fix..came out clean - I am able to open CS2 but I've noticed that using the type tool doesn't work anymore. I've tried re-installing the disk and still get the same thing.. Any help is appreciated. JC ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsg...

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6) #80
Archive-Name: linux/faq/part6 URL: http://www.mainmatter.com/ Reply-to: rkiesling@mainmatter.com Posting-Frequency: weekly Last-modified: 12/04/2001 Expires: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 05:00:00 GMT /pub/linux/packages/GCC/ for binutils-2.6.0.2.bin.tar.gz. 9.5. GCC Says, "Internal compiler error." If the fault is repeatable (i.e., it always happens at the same place in the same file--even after rebooting and trying again, using a stable kernel) you have discovered a bug in GCC. See the GCC Info documentation (type F1-i in Emacs, and select GCC from the menu) for details on how to report the ...

Photoshop Script
Hi. Does anyone have a smart solution for this: In our server we have imagefiles in many different folders. Now I would like to resave every Tiff-file with exactly the same name and location as it now has. The only action I would like to make is that the tiff-file should get LZW-compression (just to save space). As far as I know the Macro-function inside Photoshop will save all the files in ONE specified folder, so that would not work. Is it possible to make a AppleScript for this? How? Best regards/ Fredrik Mauritzson > Hi. > > Does anyone have a smart solution for this: &...

Apple crumble: Mac parts break Jon's heart
http://bit.ly/97YnWH <quote> A few days ago I suffered the failure of the tiny 3mm spring that keeps the action bar beneath the mouse pad balanced. Small thing – let’s get it fixed. Not so fast Apple lover-boy! I go to London’s Tottenham Court Road, where I have often bought Apple things. The engineers assess the problem. “I’m sorry – to replace your 3mm spring you will have to buy a completely new deck, mousepad, bar, and keyboard,” they say. Cost? Since you ask, £205! Two hundred and five pounds. I glimpse the notice on the wall : ‘We will not tolerate aggre...

How to remove the numbers before the headings of sections and subsections?
Hi: In LaTeX, my article has some sections and subsections, but I don't need the numbers generated automatically before the headings. Do you know how to remove them? For example: 1. Introduction 1.1 First 1.2 Second To Introduction First Second Gui Xie wrote: > Hi: > In LaTeX, my article has some sections and subsections, but I don't need > the numbers generated automatically before the headings. Do you know how to > remove them? For example: > > 1. Introduction > 1.1 First > 1.2 Second > > To > > Introduction > First > Secon...

"Diana Camera" Plugin For Photoshop?
Does anyone know of a "Diana Camera" or Lomo plugin for Photoshop? Thx. "Alan Smithee" <somewhere@asdf.com> wrote in message news:E1yIe.115443$5V4.79358@pd7tw3no... > Does anyone know of a "Diana Camera" or Lomo plugin for Photoshop? Thx. Gaussian blur. -- Mike Russell www.curvemeister.com "Alan Smithee" <somewhere@asdf.com> wrote in message news:E1yIe.115443$5V4.79358@pd7tw3no... > Does anyone know of a "Diana Camera" or Lomo plugin for Photoshop? Thx. Alan's trolling again. Mike Russell wrote: > "...

Operate on Heads
Hi, Hi, I would like to be able to pass a composite name Head, e.g., FirstSecondThird to a Module, and then, inside the module, use FirstSecondThird, First, Second, Third Heads, and/or make other Operate ions on Heads How could this be accomplished? Thank you Sincerely Andy Dr Andy D Kucar P2EE4 www.radio4u.com wrote: > Hi, > > Hi, > > I would like to be able to pass a composite name Head, e.g., > FirstSecondThird to a Module, > and then, inside the module, use > > FirstSecondThird, First, Second, Third > > Heads, and...

LCD for Photoshop
My aging Vivitron monitor has served me well for many years but I would like to replace it with an LCD display. Sam's club has a nice looking Samsung 913V. Does this monitor have what it takes to make subtle picture adjustments in Photoshop? Richard ...

Large swap-file undex x64
Hi everybody Do you know if Matlab 64 bit can use large datasets on swap file, e.g. 12 GB RAM + 80 GB swap file (on fast SCSI RAID0 array) under WinXP x64? Are there any limitations concerning use of swap (except of known 16GB per matrix)? Many thanks in advance for reply? Best wishes, uC, www.ultracode.eu ...

Annoying Photoshop startup problem
I've had Photoshop7.0.1 for a couple of years now and from time to time it will try to check for updates on launch. It frequently hangs when it does this. I can't find a preference that will make this stop. Does anyone know how to fix this? TIA Lorenzo Thurman wrote: > I've had Photoshop7.0.1 for a couple of years now and from time to time > it will try to check for updates on launch. It frequently hangs when it > does this. I can't find a preference that will make this stop. Does > anyone know how to fix this? > TIA Photoshop -> Preferences -> Ado...

FA: Photoshop books/manuals/tutorials
My apologies in advance if this appears in the wrong news group. FOR AUCTION: These are very useful and insightful books for Photoshop users at all levels. Perfect for industry professionals, artists, designers, illustrators, photographers and students of art and design. Just click on the links (or copy and paste into your browser) for more detailed information. Secrets of Award Winning Digital Artists By Jeremy Sutton and Daryl Wise http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D8314852169&rd=3D1&ss= pagename=3DSTRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=3D1 Photoshop Imaging Workshop / Th...

Photoshop CS2 serial number problem after crash
I had a power outage a couple days ago and afterward Photoshop CS2 won't work, giving me the following message before it quits: Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must exit now. I was going to reinstall but the option to install specific apps is grayed out. I'm desperate... any suggestions please? Thank you. O. -- O. Hendersen ohendersen@yahoo.com In article <ohendersen-E345AE.13234620102005@news.giganews.com>, O. Hendersen <ohendersen@...

Recommended swap size for 4GB installed RAM
What would you say is optimal swap size for 4GB of RAM. Also, can linux swap to flash drives? Is that a dumb idea in light of the limited number of writes on flash drives? thanks i Ignoramus27712 wrote: > What would you say is optimal swap size for 4GB of RAM. > > Also, can linux swap to flash drives? Is that a dumb idea in light of > the limited number of writes on flash drives? > > thanks > > i It would depend critically on the tasks you intend to run together, and those that run continuously, but perhaps in wait state (sleeping). Some give formulae to figu...

10.4.7 and Photoshop
I've noticed that since moving up to 10.4.7 that there is a bug in Photoshop 7 that will not allow me to use the Liquify tool. When I save a ..msh layer it saves as an alias only pointing nowhere. I have looked for any patches or docs related to the issue but have found none. Any ideas? ...

Re: Is it possible to keep column headings at the top of a page #3
Hi Dianne, Yes of course, Eric wrote many contributions around Excel and excel XP tagsets which freeze thecolumn header. I sent the Chevell's paper because a part talk about HTML and freeze columns. -- St�phane. http://www.datametric.fr (translated). Selon Dianne Rhodes <RHODESD1@WESTAT.COM>: > Look at what Eric Gebhart has done with tagsets. You can do exactly that > with ExcelXP tagset. Download it from the SAS web site, and join in the > discussion. This creates XML output, which you can open with Excel, not sure > why you want HTML or if that is possible. >...

Photoshop/Photoshop CS ?
What is the difference between Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS? Sometimes I see them used synonymously and some times differently. Sidney Friedman wrote: > What is the difference between Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS? Sometimes I > see them used synonymously and some times differently. Photoshop CS is a newer version than Photoshop 7. Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock If you open the About dialog for PS CS it says Version 8.0. Dane "Sidney Friedman" <counsel2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:ifnSf.1492$4L1.77@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... > What is the diffe...

Search for a substring and change part of the substring
Hi All, I need to change a substring within a string and the substring I need to search for is the text in another variable. Here is a basic example. Var1="The cat sat on the mat. And then it fell off."; Var2="And then it fell off."; I need to find the (.) that separates the two sentences and change it to a comma. So I am searching for the substr of Var2 to find the (.) in Var1 that is before the text in Var2. The result should be, Var1="The cat sat on the mat, And then it fell off." Here is a similar example but with several (.), most of the text in my data ...

Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements
I bought the package with Elements 4 and Premiere Elements for $150. I assume there is a moneyback for a month like usual. I thought the Elements would work will with Photoshop 6 but I can't even open a pic in Elements to a shell (Photoshop) to use it, especially with actions, etc... I'm not seeing anything special about Premiere Elements, so maybe I'd have been better off to upgrade to Photoshop CS ... ? "aka 717" <no@spam.net> wrote in message news:0NE4f.7080$eW1.2973@okepread04... >I bought the package with Elements 4 and Premiere Elements > for $150...

Scroogled, part two
So, Microsoft's "Scroogled" ad campaign reaches a new low, now they're taking on the Chromebook in a new video [1] Where a girl wants to pawn her Chromebook for money, and the pawn owner (this is supposedly a tv show I've not seen) laughs at her and says that it's not a real laptop. But the fun part? Yeah, he says that a real PC comes with "built in" software such as Office and... get this: iTunes. I mean, come ON Microsoft! Not only is Office not "built in" in every "real PC", but are you guys really leveraging an Apple pro...

Nomenclature headings
I created a nomenclature section using the nomentbl package but from the second page on, the headings are those of the list of tables. How can I modify the nomenclature heading? Here is the code: \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{memoir} % Nomenclature preamble \usepackage[italian]{nomencl} \usepackage[italian]{nomentbl} \makeglossary \begin{document} \frontmatter \tableofcontents \listoffigures \listoftables % Nomenclature section \printglossary \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Nomenclature} \mainmatter .... Thanx, Sarge ...