Best Mac Software For Graphic Design & Art.

What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
right direction?

0
CoreyWhite (122)
6/26/2007 7:09:27 PM
comp.graphics.misc 1435 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.

0
CoreyWhite
6/26/2007 7:36:25 PM
I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
it.

0
jon
6/26/2007 7:59:21 PM
On Jun 26, 3:59 pm, jon.shu...@gmail.com wrote:
> I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
> it.

I have Adobe's Photoshop CS3, but I think I am going to give the copy
away or sell it.  You can transfer the license you know.  "Corel
Paint" is totally awsome.  I just registered my copy, and am watching
online tutorial videos.  I have the more in depth manuals coming in
the mail along with a Wacom Drawing Tablet.  Their professional
tablets are designed to work hand in hand with Corel Paint, and let
you control the pressure of your brush strokes just like you were
working with a real medium.  You know I think I like Corel Paint more
than even these 3D modeling software programs, because it lets you
reproduce what real artwork looks like.  This is very valuable because
there is a great deal of expense that goes into doing real painting,
art, or drawing, and you need to have all of the space to work too.
This simulates actual artwork 100% perfectly, I would say, and that is
really fun!!! It is like having an art studio in my iMac's flat
screen.

I like the idea of moving away from graphic design, and modeling all
of this complicated 3d geometry.  It is this realistic organic feel
that is so beautiful.  What is better art in the end?  Art that looks
like something a real artist would create by hand, or the latest CG
Hollywood Blockbuster?  I'm not going to worry about graphic design,
because I just can't find the software that the professional web
designers are using to model all of this math based computer graphic
stuff.  There is big bucks in designing logos, widgets, 3d models,
menus, and icons.. and these things are so simple it is not hard to
do.  They just don't make software designed to help you with it, at
least not that I can find.. And it sounds like boring work.

0
CoreyWhite
6/26/2007 8:19:07 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:09:27 -0000, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
>Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
>isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
>looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
>and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
>right direction?

Learn 3D.
0
Mani
6/26/2007 8:31:34 PM
CoreyWhite wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:59 pm, jon.shu...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
>> it.
>
> I have Adobe's Photoshop CS3, but I think I am going to give the copy
> away or sell it.  You can transfer the license you know.  "Corel
> Paint" is totally awsome.  I just registered my copy, and am watching
> online tutorial videos.  I have the more in depth manuals coming in
> the mail along with a Wacom Drawing Tablet.  Their professional
> tablets are designed to work hand in hand with Corel Paint, and let
> you control the pressure of your brush strokes just like you were
> working with a real medium.  You know I think I like Corel Paint more
> than even these 3D modeling software programs, because it lets you
> reproduce what real artwork looks like.  This is very valuable because
> there is a great deal of expense that goes into doing real painting,
> art, or drawing, and you need to have all of the space to work too.
> This simulates actual artwork 100% perfectly, I would say, and that is
> really fun!!! It is like having an art studio in my iMac's flat
> screen.
>
> I like the idea of moving away from graphic design, and modeling all
> of this complicated 3d geometry.  It is this realistic organic feel
> that is so beautiful.  What is better art in the end?  Art that looks
> like something a real artist would create by hand, or the latest CG
> Hollywood Blockbuster?  I'm not going to worry about graphic design,
> because I just can't find the software that the professional web
> designers are using to model all of this math based computer graphic
> stuff.  There is big bucks in designing logos, widgets, 3d models,
> menus, and icons.. and these things are so simple it is not hard to
> do.  They just don't make software designed to help you with it, at
> least not that I can find.. And it sounds like boring work.

Gosh and golly! Why do I have the feeling that you knew "the answer"
before you posted the first time??

--
lsmft

"Um, his vocabulary, like, uh, really, ah....... sucked."
0
John
6/26/2007 8:40:27 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:59:21 -0700, jon.shutts@gmail.com replied
(in article <1182887961.099097.47940@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>):

> I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
> it.

I practically worship Photoshop :) I don't create, but I use many
editing techniques on photos and artwork, and in some ways PS is less
complicated than GraphicConverter (another VERY useful app!). I've
known graphic arts professionals who swear by both Photoshop and
Illustrator...and some amateurs who really like the Corel apps as well.
- E

 Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
     http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Eric
6/26/2007 8:52:58 PM
On Jun 26, 12:59 pm, jon.shu...@gmail.com wrote:
> I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
> it.

As someone who has been a professional graphic artist for  many
years, I'd stick with the Adobe Design Suite as well.

-Douglas

0
Dagon
6/26/2007 9:08:08 PM
On Jun 26, 4:52 pm, Eric P. <ericpNOSPA...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:59:21 -0700, jon.shu...@gmail.com replied
> (in article <1182887961.099097.47...@o61g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > I use Adobe's design software, more specifically Photoshop CS3, I love
> > it.
>
> I practically worship Photoshop :) I don't create, but I use many
> editing techniques on photos and artwork, and in some ways PS is less
> complicated than GraphicConverter (another VERY useful app!). I've
> known graphic arts professionals who swear by both Photoshop and
> Illustrator...and some amateurs who really like the Corel apps as well.
> - E

>  Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
>      http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?58/hogwasher.html

Corel Paint has a great feature that works even better than photoshop
for doing realistic artwork.  You can import photos & images, and it
will create sophisticated tracing paper out of the image.  This allows
you to paint or draw over the image, and suck all of the life out of
the photo & translate it into paint.  Very cool.  I've been working
with this principle in photoshop, and have had a lot of fun working
out design methodologies.  This software will make my life a lot
easier.

I've never worked with adobe illustrator, so maybe I should give it a
try.  Tell me what can it do for you as far as making artistic designs
based on math and geometry?  3D design software might be a better
route to go with, but I've worked with that too & don't like the idea
of modeling things at all.

I think it would be better to have software that was designed to make
web graphics, or cool graphical user interfaces.  If you surf the web,
you will notice almost all the trendy designs they are using today
look very similar.  You just need a few primitive widgets & menus to
work with, or a few archetypes.  Then you just type in the changes you
want to make as if you were programming a robot that was really going
to create it for you in real life.  Just write in the mathematical
codes, and morph, twist, and shape the icons.  You would just need a
whole library of artwork to work with that was stock to begin with.
Cool 3d fonts, and ways to blend them into little bubbles &
backgrounds of smooth fading 3d color..  I don't think artists are
even drawing it, I just think they force Asian men in china to study
math from the time they are a little kid, and sit them in front of a
computer all day long learning how to turn mathematics into graphical
design.. While the Asian women slave over the electronic circuitry
with soldering irons.. Meanwhile the computer gurus in america just
create new languages, and brainstorm new ideas for more asians in
Japan to find a way to use & write the programs for them.  Everything
is being outsourced, and I don't think I would even want to use the
graphics software they are using.

I LOVE Corel Paint.

0
CoreyWhite
6/26/2007 9:14:23 PM
CoreyWhite wrote:
> [...]
> codes, and morph, twist, and shape the icons.  You would just need a
> whole library of artwork to work with that was stock to begin with.
> Cool 3d fonts, and ways to blend them into little bubbles &
> backgrounds of smooth fading 3d color..  I don't think artists are
> even drawing it, I just think they force Asian men in china to study
> math from the time they are a little kid, and sit them in front of a
> computer all day long learning how to turn mathematics into graphical
> design.. While the Asian women slave over the electronic circuitry
> with soldering irons.. Meanwhile the computer gurus in america just
> create new languages, and brainstorm new ideas for more asians in
> Japan to find a way to use & write the programs for them.  Everything
> is being outsourced, and I don't think I would even want to use the

Yes, it sounds to me like you need Illustrator, which is quite different
than raster based editors.  But don't forget there is Canvas and
Freehand out there too - they are both top notch. (I've never used
Corel's paint & draw applications, so...)  I started w/ the Illustrator
beta back in the 80s, so it's second nature to me.  I've done quite a
bit of design for web and print, and Illustrator has been my number one
tool.

I like Painter (originally Fractal Design Painter, wasn't it?) also.
But I can't say its better or worse than Photoshop.  Actually I use
both, and I often kick the file back and forth between the two
applications.  I think the "natural media" metaphor Painter employs is
an outstanding idea and it works well.  But there's not much you can do
in Painter that you can't do in Photoshop - it's just that the buttons
automate some manipulations and it would be more clunky to do in
Photoshop.

If you want to enter values for graphics, you should take a look at some
CAD applications.  The 2d Ashlar products come to mind.
0
Erik
6/26/2007 10:10:32 PM
On Jun 26, 6:10 pm, "Erik A. Mattila" <e...@nospamimpix.com> wrote:
> [...]
> beta back in the 80s, so it's second nature to me.  I've done quite a
> bit of design for web and print, and Illustrator has been my number one
> tool.
>
> I like Painter (originally Fractal Design Painter, wasn't it?) also.
> But I can't say its better or worse than Photoshop.  Actually I use
> both, and I often kick the file back and forth between the two
> applications.  I think the "natural media" metaphor Painter employs is
> an outstanding idea and it works well.  But there's not much you can do
> in Painter that you can't do in Photoshop - it's just that the buttons
> automate some manipulations and it would be more clunky to do in
> Photoshop.
>
> If you want to enter values for graphics, you should take a look at some
> CAD applications.  The 2d Ashlar products come to mind.

I'll check out the CAD design software.  What I'm looking at now is
Image Magick.  It doesn't handle 3D animation, but it looks like it is
one of the standards out there for designing web graphics, icons,
buttons, and widgets.  I ordered 2 books on using it.  Check it out
here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Introduction to ImageMagick

ImageMagick=AE is a software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap
images. It can read, convert and write images in a variety of formats
(about 100) including DPX, EXR, GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000, PDF, PhotoCD,
PNG, Postscript, SVG, and TIFF. Use ImageMagick to translate, flip,
mirror, rotate, scale, shear and transform images, adjust image
colors, apply various special effects, or draw text, lines, polygons,
ellipses and B=E9zier curves.

The functionality of ImageMagick is typically utilized from the
command line or you can use the features from programs written in your
favorite programming language. Choose from these interfaces: G2F
(Ada), MagickCore (C), MagickWand (C), ChMagick (Ch),
ImageMagickObject (COM+), Magick++ (C++), JMagick (Java), L-Magick
(Lisp), nMagick (Neko/haXe), MagickNet (.NET), PascalMagick (Pascal),
PerlMagick (Perl), MagickWand for PHP (PHP), PythonMagick (Python),
RMagick (Ruby), or TclMagick (Tcl/TK). With a language interface, use
ImageMagick to modify or create images dynamically and automagically.

ImageMagick is free software delivered as a ready-to-run binary
distribution or as source code that you may freely use, copy, modify,
and distribute. Its license is compatible with the GPL. It runs on all
major operating systems.
Features and Capabilities

Here are just a few examples of what ImageMagick can do:

    * Format conversion: convert an image from one format to another
(e.g. PNG to JPEG)
    * Transform: resize, rotate, crop, flip or trim an image
    * Transparency: render portions of an image invisible
    * Draw: add shapes or text to an image
    * Decorate: add a border or frame to an image
    * Special effects: blur, sharpen, threshold, or tint an image
    * Image calculator: apply a mathematical expression to an image or
image channels
    * Text & comments: insert descriptive or artistic text in an image
    * Image identification: describe the format and attributes of an
image
    * Animation: create a GIF animation sequence from a group of
images
    * Composite: overlap one image over another
    * Montage: juxtapose image thumbnails on an image canvas
    * High dynamic-range imaging: accurately represent the wide range
of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from the brightest
direct sunlight to the deepest darkest shadows
    * Large image support: read, process, or write mega- and giga-
pixel image sizes

0
CoreyWhite
6/26/2007 10:28:54 PM
On 2007-06-26 14:36:25 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> said:

> On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
>> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
>> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
>> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
>> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
>> right direction?
>
> I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
> I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
> using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
> better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
> for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.

Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!

Seriously though - it's baffling to me how you would completely skip
over the 200-ton gorilla, and arguably THE best, Adobe Creative Suite...

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/26/2007 10:33:57 PM
On Jun 26, 6:33 pm, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com>
wrote:
> On 2007-06-26 14:36:25 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> >> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
> >> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
> >> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
> >> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
> >> right direction?
>
> > I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
> > I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
> > using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
> > better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
> > for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.
>
> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!
>
> Seriously though - it's baffling to me how you would completely skip
> over the 200-ton gorilla, and arguably THE best, Adobe Creative Suite...
>
> --
> JR

Your silly man.  It isn't like it matters does it?  I wasn't impressed
with Photoshop CS3 in the least.  What I've been looking for all along
is a way to draw and reproduce real life artwork on the computer,
Corel Paint & The Drawing Pad will do this.  To make money as a
graphic designer though I am going to need to use image magick.  What
can photoshop & illustrator do that Corel can't anyway?

0
CoreyWhite
6/26/2007 11:02:37 PM
On Jun 26, 3:33 pm, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com>
wrote:
> On 2007-06-26 14:36:25 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> >> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
> >> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
> >> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
> >> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
> >> right direction?
>
> > I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
> > I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
> > using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
> > better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
> > for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.
>
> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!

Which seems to be the opinion of most graphic artists I've met
and many printshops I've dealt with.

> Seriously though - it's baffling to me how you would completely skip
> over the 200-ton gorilla, and arguably THE best, Adobe Creative Suite...
>
> --
> JR

It is the standard.

-Douglas

0
drdagon
6/26/2007 11:43:51 PM
On Jun 26, 12:10 pm, "Erik A. Mattila" <e...@nospamimpix.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > backgrounds of smooth fading 3d color..  I don't think artists are
> > even drawing it, I just think they force Asian men in china to study
> > math from the time they are a little kid, and sit them in front of a
> > computer all day long learning how to turn mathematics into graphical
> > design.. While the Asian women slave over the electronic circuitry
> > with soldering irons.. Meanwhile the computer gurus in america just
> > create new languages, and brainstorm new ideas for more asians in
> > Japan to find a way to use & write the programs for them.  Everything
> > is being outsourced, and I don't think I would even want to use the
> > graphics software they are using.
>
> > I LOVE Corel Paint.
>
> Yes, it sounds to me like you need Illustrator, which is quite different
> than raster based editors.  But don't forget there is Canvas and
> Freehand out there too - they are both top notch.

I have been a pretty devoted Canvas user ever since v.3.5, and I am
becoming somewhat disappointed with Canvas since ACD acquired them. It
has been over a year, and there is no upgrades of any sort, nor any
news of a Universal version being made available. Plus, the program is
somewhat buggy, and has been in need of another bugfix for a while.

Actually, I just went to their website, and saw that they have decided
to stop development of Canvas for the Mac. So, I do believe that
Canvas should no longer be considered by any Mac user, and I will be
looking for alternatives soon. Too bad I've got all these important
files in Canvas format...
--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

0
Dave
6/26/2007 11:50:57 PM
On Jun 26, 7:50 pm, Dave Fritzinger <dfrit...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > I LOVE Corel Paint.
>
> > Yes, it sounds to me like you need Illustrator, which is quite different
> > than raster based editors.  But don't forget there is Canvas and
> > Freehand out there too - they are both top notch.
>
> I have been a pretty devoted Canvas user ever since v.3.5, and I am
> becoming somewhat disappointed with Canvas since ACD acquired them. It
> has been over a year, and there is no upgrades of any sort, nor any
> news of a Universal version being made available. Plus, the program is
> somewhat buggy, and has been in need of another bugfix for a while.
>
> Actually, I just went to their website, and saw that they have decided
> to stop development of Canvas for the Mac. So, I do believe that
> Canvas should no longer be considered by any Mac user, and I will be
> looking for alternatives soon. Too bad I've got all these important

Let me know if you find an alternative, because Canvas looks great.  I
would like to see some of your art if you have a website??

0
CoreyWhite
6/27/2007 1:40:52 AM
In article <1182884967.005949.77550@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, hands=down.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
On Jun 26, 9:42 pm, tacit <tac...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <1182884967.005949.77...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
>
> Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, hands=down.
>
> --
> Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

I'm reading some Adobe Illustrator tutorials, and the software pisses
me off.  I don't want to trace out "vector" images, I want to actually
make artwork!  I can't wait until Corel Draw comes out for the Mac.

0
CoreyWhite
6/27/2007 1:47:59 AM
In article <1182908879.379668.31540@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 9:42 pm, tacit <tac...@aol.com> wrote:
> > In article <1182884967.005949.77...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> >
> > Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, hands=down.
> >
> > --
> > Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all
> > athttp://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
>
> I'm reading some Adobe Illustrator tutorials, and the software pisses
> me off.  I don't want to trace out "vector" images, I want to actually
> make artwork!  I can't wait until Corel Draw comes out for the Mac.

You're just trolling... Good one.
0
Dave
6/27/2007 1:57:41 AM
On 2007-06-26 18:02:37 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> said:

> On Jun 26, 6:33 pm, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com>
> wrote:

>>> I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
>>> I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
>>> using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
>>> better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
>>> for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.
>>
>> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!
>>
>> Seriously though - it's baffling to me how you would completely skip
>> over the 200-ton gorilla, and arguably THE best, Adobe Creative Suite...
>
> Your silly man.  It isn't like it matters does it?  I wasn't impressed
> with Photoshop CS3 in the least.  What I've been looking for all along
> is a way to draw and reproduce real life artwork on the computer,
> Corel Paint & The Drawing Pad will do this.  To make money as a
> graphic designer though I am going to need to use image magick.  What
> can photoshop & illustrator do that Corel can't anyway?

You've got to be kidding.  You really believe professionals use Adobe
Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign if cheaper products like Corel can
do better?   Can Corel even do CMYK yet?

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/27/2007 2:14:10 AM
On 2007-06-26 18:43:51 -0500, drdagon@gmail.com said:

>> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!
>
> Which seems to be the opinion of most graphic artists I've met
> and many printshops I've dealt with.

You're spot on.  I worked in professional graphic arts and pre-press in
print shops for 9 years.  Corel gets no respect because it's crap, and
you have to *earn* respect from professionals who depend on making a
living using graphics software.  Adobe has earned it, and raises the
bar every year.

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/27/2007 2:16:41 AM
On 2007-06-26 17:28:54 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> said:

> I'll check out the CAD design software.  What I'm looking at now is
> Image Magick.  It doesn't handle 3D animation, but it looks like it is
> one of the standards out there for designing web graphics, icons,
> buttons, and widgets.  I ordered 2 books on using it.  Check it out
> here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

LOL...  Nope.  ImageMagic is great for dynamic image creation, but make
no mistake - most of the graphics used on the web today are made with
Photoshop.

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/27/2007 2:18:47 AM
In article <200706262116417987-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>, Jolly Roger
<jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-26 18:43:51 -0500, drdagon@gmail.com said:
>
> >> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!
> >
> > Which seems to be the opinion of most graphic artists I've met
> > and many printshops I've dealt with.
>
> You're spot on.  I worked in professional graphic arts and pre-press in
> print shops for 9 years.  Corel gets no respect because it's crap, and
> you have to *earn* respect from professionals who depend on making a
> living using graphics software.  Adobe has earned it, and raises the
> bar every year.

I've been in the graphics/prepress/publishing industry for nearly 30
years. No, really. Thirty years. And that doesn't count hand setting
type in Grade 9 graphics shop.

I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in CorelDraw. I've
seen crap done in CorelDraw.

I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in FreeHand. I've
seen crap done in FreeHand.

I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in Illustrator.
I've seen crap done in Illustrator.

I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in InDesign. I've
seen crap done in InDesign.

I could tell you all kinds of stories, like...

The time a designer upgraded Corel in the middle of the job and all the
white type got set to overprint. $2500 worth of film had to rerun, and
we had to fight him for payment.

The time we ripped an Illustrator file for TWENTY-SEVEN HOURS, got a
cyan plate, and it was wrong. Didn't get paid for that one.

The designer I worked for who regularly built absolutely gorgeous
Freehand files that nobody in the entire Vancouver BC area could rip to
film.

The Xpress file bounced out of my shop because the file contained three
different blacks. 100K. 100C, 100M, 100Y, and 100C, 100M, 100Y, 100K.
Type within 1/16th inch of the trim. Yellow type on black set to
overprint. And more.

My point is, Corel gets no respect because too many talentless
dickheads using it have foisted crap on prepress shops for too many
years. However, it's the fault of the talentless dickheads, not
CorelDraw.

Software doesn't *earn* my respect. Talented people *earn* my respect.

And I don't care what software those talented people use.
0
Dave
6/27/2007 2:31:18 AM
In article <2007062617335777923-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2007-06-26 14:36:25 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Jun 26, 3:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> >> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
> >> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
> >> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
> >> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
> >> right direction?
> >
> > I downloaded the trial version of Corel Painter & it is really nice.
> > I'm not sure how easy it would be to make awsome logos with it without
> > using an additional vector/desing or 3d modeling software.  It is 100x
> > better than photoshop.  I just need to find some clear design software
> > for modeling geometry & working with text for the mac.
>
> Corel?  EEEWWW...  You're kidding right?  What a piece of crap!
>
> Seriously though - it's baffling to me how you would completely skip
> over the 200-ton gorilla, and arguably THE best, Adobe Creative Suite...

I think the OP needs to specify what their criteria for "best" is in
this "space".  Do they need (this is just a few features)

- vector <--> raster conversion
- Bezier curves
- image manipulation (tracing, overlaying, correction, etc.)
- font manipulation
- someone else to be able to use the files or at least read them
  - if so, on what platform?

If this is just for you, then you should look through the features
lists, pricing and maybe test drive some packages.  Companies that don't
offer a test drive you'll either have to try out and return or just
skip.  If you need to be able to read/write the CS2 files from Windows
(Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign), then your criteria for "best" is
irrelevant as someone has made the decision for you.

And a side note: the idea of "best" is asymptotic (look it up).

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
6/27/2007 4:15:16 AM
In article <260620072031189269%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <200706262116417987-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>, Jolly Roger
> <jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

> > > Which seems to be the opinion of most graphic artists I've met
> > > and many printshops I've dealt with.
> >
> > You're spot on.  I worked in professional graphic arts and pre-press in
> > print shops for 9 years.  Corel gets no respect because it's crap, and
> > you have to *earn* respect from professionals who depend on making a
> > living using graphics software.  Adobe has earned it, and raises the
> > bar every year.
>
> I've been in the graphics/prepress/publishing industry for nearly 30
> years. No, really. Thirty years. And that doesn't count hand setting
> type in Grade 9 graphics shop.
>
> I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in CorelDraw. I've
> seen crap done in CorelDraw.
>
> I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in FreeHand. I've
> seen crap done in FreeHand.
>
> I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in Illustrator.
> I've seen crap done in Illustrator.
>
> I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in InDesign. I've
> seen crap done in InDesign.
>
> I could tell you all kinds of stories, like...
>
> The time a designer upgraded Corel in the middle of the job and all the
> white type got set to overprint. $2500 worth of film had to rerun, and
> we had to fight him for payment.
>
> The time we ripped an Illustrator file for TWENTY-SEVEN HOURS, got a
> cyan plate, and it was wrong. Didn't get paid for that one.
>
> The designer I worked for who regularly built absolutely gorgeous
> Freehand files that nobody in the entire Vancouver BC area could rip to
> film.
>
> The Xpress file bounced out of my shop because the file contained three
> different blacks. 100K. 100C, 100M, 100Y, and 100C, 100M, 100Y, 100K.
> Type within 1/16th inch of the trim. Yellow type on black set to
> overprint. And more.
>
> My point is, Corel gets no respect because too many talentless
> dickheads using it have foisted crap on prepress shops for too many
> years. However, it's the fault of the talentless dickheads, not
> CorelDraw.
>
> Software doesn't *earn* my respect. Talented people *earn* my respect.
>
> And I don't care what software those talented people use.

"It's impossible to make something foolproof because fools are so
ingenious"--Lazarus Long

Irrespective of your experience, most of the professional print shops in
the SF/Bay area use Photoshop or Illustrator or Indesign.  They usually
point you to a Kinkos if you have something else to do any sort of
conversion.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
6/27/2007 4:18:04 AM
On 2007-06-26 23:15:16 -0500, Michael Vilain <vilain@spamcop.net> said:

> And a side note: the idea of "best" is asymptotic (look it up).

Ain't that the truth...

--
JR

0
Jolly
6/27/2007 2:42:22 PM
On Jun 26, 3:40 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 7:50 pm, Dave Fritzinger <dfrit...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, it sounds to me like you need Illustrator, which is quite different
> > > than raster based editors.  But don't forget there is Canvas and
> > > Freehand out there too - they are both top notch.
>
> > I have been a pretty devoted Canvas user ever since v.3.5, and I am
> > becoming somewhat disappointed with Canvas since ACD acquired them. It
> > has been over a year, and there is no upgrades of any sort, nor any
> > news of a Universal version being made available. Plus, the program is
> > somewhat buggy, and has been in need of another bugfix for a while.
>
> > Actually, I just went to their website, and saw that they have decided
> > to stop development of Canvas for the Mac. So, I do believe that
> > Canvas should no longer be considered by any Mac user, and I will be
> > looking for alternatives soon. Too bad I've got all these important
> > files in Canvas format...
> > --
> > Dave Fritzinger
> > Honolulu, HI
>
> Let me know if you find an alternative, because Canvas looks great.  I
> would like to see some of your art if you have a website??

I basically use Canvas for technical drawings, preparing figures for
journal articles, preparing posters for scientific meetings, etc.
Nothing all that interesting unless you do research in the same field
as I do. Canvas has been great for this, since it handles both vector
art and bitmaps pretty well. I'm not sure what I will do when Canvas
is no longer compatible with the latest Mac system software.
--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

0
Dave
6/27/2007 5:48:44 PM
Dave Fritzinger wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>>I LOVE Corel Paint.
>>
>>Yes, it sounds to me like you need Illustrator, which is quite different
>>than raster based editors.  But don't forget there is Canvas and
>>Freehand out there too - they are both top notch.
>

> I have been a pretty devoted Canvas user ever since v.3.5, and I am
> becoming somewhat disappointed with Canvas since ACD acquired them. It
> has been over a year, and there is no upgrades of any sort, nor any
> news of a Universal version being made available. Plus, the program is
> somewhat buggy, and has been in need of another bugfix for a while.
>
> Actually, I just went to their website, and saw that they have decided
> to stop development of Canvas for the Mac. So, I do believe that
> Canvas should no longer be considered by any Mac user, and I will be
> looking for alternatives soon. Too bad I've got all these important

I'm sorry to learn about ACD dumping Mac.  I have v. 9 on my Mac, but I
confess I seldom use it.  I'm just too "at home" with Illustrator, I
guess.  But v9 supports several file formats under the Save As menu -
including AI (illustrator).  Won't that help you out in saving your
Canvas files?
0
Erik
7/20/2007 9:30:50 PM
Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2007-06-26 17:28:54 -0500, CoreyWhite <CoreyWhite@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I'll check out the CAD design software.  What I'm looking at now is
>> Image Magick.  It doesn't handle 3D animation, but it looks like it is
>> one of the standards out there for designing web graphics, icons,
>> buttons, and widgets.  I ordered 2 books on using it.  Check it out
>> here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
>

> LOL...  Nope.  ImageMagic is great for dynamic image creation, but make
> no mistake - most of the graphics used on the web today are made with
> Photoshop.

Well, you may be correct - but here's something I worked out (and I've
produced a lot of web graphics professionally):  Photoshop's image
compressor really distorts color, so I've consistently used Macromedia
Freehand for compressing files for the web, even though I may have
created the image in Photoshop.  And that's the only reason I keep
Freehand on board - to me it's very clunky for creating graphics (but
90% of that opinion is based on I'm so used the Photoshop.

Additionally, I use Illustrator frequently for web graphics (as well as
for print graphics).  In most cases I use both.

InDesign rocks also - I'd give it an equal rating with Quark (which is
still the "standard" I believe) except for InDesign's awesome
typesetting capabilities, which I think leaves Quark in its dust.

Painter is also on my computor - I don't think there is much that
Painter can do that Photoshop can't, it's just that its "natural media"
architecture is implicit in the software design, which isn't the case
with Photoshop.  It's a lot of work getting faux brushstrokes with PS,
and automatic with Painter.  So I would certainly include Painter on the
list that Tacit made above.
0
Erik
7/20/2007 9:50:24 PM
Michael Vilain wrote:

> In article <260620072031189269%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
>  Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>

>>In article <200706262116417987-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>, Jolly Roger
>><jollyroger@R.E.M.O.V.E.pobox.com> wrote:

>>>You're spot on.  I worked in professional graphic arts and pre-press in
>>>print shops for 9 years.  Corel gets no respect because it's crap, and
>>>you have to *earn* respect from professionals who depend on making a
>>>living using graphics software.  Adobe has earned it, and raises the
>>>bar every year.
>>
>>I've been in the graphics/prepress/publishing industry for nearly 30
>>years. No, really. Thirty years. And that doesn't count hand setting
>>type in Grade 9 graphics shop.
>>
>>I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in CorelDraw. I've
>>seen crap done in CorelDraw.
>>
>>I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in FreeHand. I've
>>seen crap done in FreeHand.
>>
>>I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in Illustrator.
>>I've seen crap done in Illustrator.
>>
>>I've seen brilliant work that ripped seamlessly done in InDesign. I've
>>seen crap done in InDesign.
>>
>>I could tell you all kinds of stories, like...
>>
>>The time a designer upgraded Corel in the middle of the job and all the
>>white type got set to overprint. $2500 worth of film had to rerun, and
>>we had to fight him for payment.
>>
>>The time we ripped an Illustrator file for TWENTY-SEVEN HOURS, got a
>>cyan plate, and it was wrong. Didn't get paid for that one.
>>
>>The designer I worked for who regularly built absolutely gorgeous
>>Freehand files that nobody in the entire Vancouver BC area could rip to
>>film.
>>
>>The Xpress file bounced out of my shop because the file contained three
>>different blacks. 100K. 100C, 100M, 100Y, and 100C, 100M, 100Y, 100K.
>>Type within 1/16th inch of the trim. Yellow type on black set to
>>overprint. And more.
>>
>>My point is, Corel gets no respect because too many talentless
>>dickheads using it have foisted crap on prepress shops for too many
>>years. However, it's the fault of the talentless dickheads, not
>>CorelDraw.
>>
>>Software doesn't *earn* my respect. Talented people *earn* my respect.
>>
>>And I don't care what software those talented people use.
>

> "It's impossible to make something foolproof because fools are so
> ingenious"--Lazarus Long
>
> Irrespective of your experience, most of the professional print shops in
> the SF/Bay area use Photoshop or Illustrator or Indesign.  They usually
> point you to a Kinkos if you have something else to do any sort of
> conversion.

That's interesting - I'm retired from graphic arts now, but not that
long ago when I started using InDesign 1 a lot of complaints were kicked
back to me from the service bureaus.  They wanted Quark, of course.  So
you are saying that InDesign has come into its own?  I'm glad to hear that.
0
Erik
7/20/2007 9:59:49 PM
Adobe Creative Suite 3 is the software you need.
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/
One of my peer group has been 'test driving' this package for some
time now and swears it is the only software worth having now for
designers. I'm still using Creative Suite 2 but intend to upgrade very
soon.

Alison
http://brignellandraimes.co.uk

On Jun 26, 8:09 pm, CoreyWhite <CoreyWh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best Mac Software available for graphic design & art?
> Maybe there are a number of them.  I'm finding out that Corel Draw
> isn't available for Mac's anymore, but Corel Painter X still is.  I'm
> looking for software to create cool icons, menus, logos, and widgets,
> and to just generally make beautiful art.  Can anyone point me in the
> right direction?

0
Brignell