Graphics card choices

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm an occasional user of 3DSMax.  I'll use it to sell a carpentry job
now and then.  Not a whole kitchen or anything
that involved, just things like a garden bridge or a wine cabinet.
Still, I'd like to improve performance in a new
system I'm building.  There are a couple of 1st person shooter games I
enjoy playing like Unreal Tournament
and Quake, but I'd be willing to sacrifice performance in that area to
improve it with Max and Photoshop.  The
two cards I'm considering when push comes to shove are the NVidia
GForce 7950 GT (512 MB of ram) vs.
an NVidia Quadro FX560 (128 MB of ram.)  Which card would push the
pixels around faster and give better
performance overall in MAX?

0
Reply edswoods.1 (4) 6/26/2007 1:38:12 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.graphics.misc 1424 articles. 2 followers. Post

Graphics Cards Choice
Hi Folks, I've received a few PC games as christmas presents and need to upgrade my graphics in order to play them (@ a decent rate anyway). My Budget is max. of �200 (UK). There are so many cards to choose from so maybe someone out there can help me decide. 1) Appart from the obvious, is there a big difference in choosing a 128Mb card over 256Mb card? Which one would you recommend. 2) What would you say is better, ATI card or NVIDIA card? The kind of games I have to play are Half-Life2, Rome: Total War and Doom3. Does anyone recommend a decent card that will let me keep playing u...

Graphics Cards Choice
Hi Folks, I've received a few PC games as christmas presents and need to upgrade my graphics in order to play them (@ a decent rate anyway). My Budget is max. of �200 (UK). There are so many cards to choose from so maybe someone out there can help me decide. 1) Appart from the obvious, is there a big difference in choosing a 128Mb card over 256Mb card? Which one would you recommend. 2) What would you say is better, ATI card or NVIDIA card? The kind of games I have to play are Half-Life2, Rome: Total War and Doom3. Does anyone recommend a decent card that will let me keep playing u...

[9fans] graphic card choice
Hello has anyone tested a nvidia gtx560 with dvi output (or simmilar) with the vesa driver? thanks, gabi ...

Choices, choices, choices
The battle has raged for years, inside the sacred virtual halls of CSMA and beyond, over who has the best computer platform. It's time to stop the silliness. Choices, we all have to make them. Even more fundamentally, we are making choices every moment. By reading this post, you are making a choice. The brand of computer and the software you are using are also choices. Every aspect of your life that led to the present moment is the consequence of past choices. Choice is even more certain than death and taxes, those after all also represent choices we make. (Yes, death is a choice, a...

Choices, choices, choices ...
Lectoribus Salutem, I was directed to this forum from comp.arch by one of your regulars, Joe Seigh, because of the following question: Given that you want to have a RA*S* (i.e., Reliable, Available and *Scalable* OS), how would you perform the following task on a ~100 CPU SMP machine: "Measure the number of instances of <some> kernel event" 1. You create a system wide single counter protected by a single system wide lock to keep track of the occurences of said event. 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case you want to s...

Graphics Card Choice for Dell Precision 390
Buying a new system for ProE use. I work with fairly large assemblies, and plastic parts with alot of features, drafts and rounds. Here are the graphics card choices: Quadro FX 4500 $1440 (512MB) Quadro FX 3500 $815 (256MB) Quadro FX 3450 $515 (256MB) FireGL V7200 $715 (256MB) Quadro FX550 $61 (128MB) FireGL V3400 $61 (128MB) Quadro NVS285 $0 (128MB) I am thinking about the FX 3450 since that seems to be reasonable in price. Others in my company have bought a FX550, but that seems to be pretty low-end. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks! No Spam wrote: >...

graphics cards vs video cards
why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even though they have slower core and memory speeds? I believe "Graphics cards and "video cards" are the same thing. "b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message news:95513a07.0408031434.61c9a9bb@posting.google.com... > why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even > though they have slower core and memory speeds? Huh? Graphics cards = Video Cards. Two different names for the same thing. -- DaveW "b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message news:95513a07.0408031...

sound card and graphics card ports???
I have following doubt.. I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics properties. but now i want to add separate graphics and sound cards.? so after installing the separate sound and graphics card, do my system have duplicate sound and graphics port(one from inbuilt and other from separate card)? Or is any there any way to remove the inbuilt sound and graphics ports? regards, bob Bob wrote: > I have following doubt.. > I am using intel 845 motherboard with inbuilt sound and graphics > properties. > but now i want to add separate graphics an...

graphics cards vs video cards
why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even though they have slower core and memory speeds? I believe "Graphics cards and "video cards" are the same thing. "b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message news:95513a07.0408031434.61c9a9bb@posting.google.com... > why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even > though they have slower core and memory speeds? Huh? Graphics cards = Video Cards. Two different names for the same thing. -- DaveW "b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message news:95513a07.0408031...

A2000 with GVP graphics card, GVP Excellerator card plus C= Ethernet card problem
I have a A2000 with the GVP 030 card maxed out with RAM (16mb). I also have the GVP 2 mb graphics card and the C= Ethernet card installed. When all are installed, I cannot get the system to recognize the graphics card. Is there some sort of DMA conflict or memory limitation that may be causing the problem? Any thoughts? Regards, SK Hi, > I have a A2000 with the GVP 030 card maxed out with RAM (16mb). I also > have the GVP 2 mb graphics card and the C= Ethernet card installed. When > all are installed, I cannot get the system to recognize the graphics card. >...

TV Tuner Card vs. Graphics Card
I am considering purchasing a new computer and have a question. Does it make sense to buy a TV Tuner Card seperate from the Graphics Card or is it better if they are integrated? The computer I am considering is the Sony PCV-RZ40CG which has Gigapocket as their Tuner Hardware and nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 as their Graphics Card. I could also just scrap those and get an ATI All-In-Wonder Card which I guess has it all in 1 package. Here's what I'll use it for: Mainly watching TV but I will do some Video Editing (like take some of my old VCR tapes, run them through the computer and Burn th...

ATI graphics cards and IDL object graphics
Hello All, One of my clients just bought a Windows machine with an ATI HD4850 graphics card and when he has IDL set for hardware rendering we get very distorted images and sometimes crashes. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks, Ronn Kling KRS, inc. Use these books to upgrade your IDL skills. "Application Development with IDL" "Calling C from IDL, Using DLM's to extend your IDL code". SECOND EDITION includes C++ and debugging! THIRD EDITION includes writing IDL object methods in C and C++! "Power Graphics with IDL, A Beginner's Guide to Object Graphics...

Flickerfixer card and graphics card.. A4000 Questions
I am going to put a cybervision 64 (with pass through) into my A4000, I assume that it goes in the video slot. Is it possible to put a scan doubler in another slot?? Or: If i transfer into a tower case and run a pci voodoo card. Then i can put the flickerfixer into the video slot anyway.?? Any info would be appreciated.. Smeggedd Hello smeggedd > I am going to put a cybervision 64 (with pass through) into my A4000, I > assume that it goes in the video slot. Is it possible to put a scan doubler > in another slot?? > > Or: > > If i transfer in...

TV Tuner Card vs. Graphics Card
I am considering purchasing a new computer and have a question. Does it make sense to buy a TV Tuner Card seperate from the Graphics Card or is it better if they are integrated? The computer I am considering is the Sony PCV-RZ40CG which has Gigapocket as their Tuner Hardware and nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 as their Graphics Card. I could also just scrap those and get an ATI All-In-Wonder Card which I guess has it all in 1 package. Here's what I'll use it for: Mainly watching TV but I will do some Video Editing (like take some of my old VCR tapes, run them through the computer and Burn th...

graphical desktop does not start after changing graphic card
Hi All I have RH FC 3.0. Today O change my fraphic card and Im not anymore able to run grahical desktop. How I can configure the system withour graphical desktop to run again? On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:55:28 +0200, Eugen staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I have RH FC 3.0. Today [I] [changed] my [graphics] card and I'm not > anymore able to run [a] graphical desktop. How I can configure the > system [without] graphical desktop to run again? Run one of the following commands: X -configure (autodetection of graphics hardware, you may have to edit ...

Q about integrated graphics circuits and dedicated graphics cards
After surfing several hours on web, trying to find out answer, I'm still a bit uncertain about following issue: Are there three types of graphics circuits: 1) Integrated on MB, has an own GPU but no own memory, uses RAM. 2) Integrated on MB, has an own GPU and also own memory, uses this memory and also "borrows" from RAM. 3) Dedicated graphics card with own GPU and memory, uses this memory and also "borrows" from RAM. Earlier, when laptops had only small amount of RAM (like 512 MB), the benefit of dedicated graphics card (later: DGC) with own memory...

Graphics cards
Hi, I was hoping to get some insight as to what constitutes a "good" PC graphics card. I am not asking for brand recommendations, but rather for the characteristics of a graphics card that make one better than another. If this information is in an FAQ, please accept my apologies (but also supply a link to the FAQ ;-) Also, do some PC graphics cards support OpenGL better and others support DirectX better? Thanks! JAB John A. Byerly schrieb: > Hi, > > I was hoping to get some insight as to what constitutes a "good" PC graphics > card. I am not ask...

Graphics Card
I have a co-worker who is looking into a new machine for home and wants to run SW to learn it better or take stuff home to work on. My concern is the graphics card. Has anyone had any experience with the new ATI Radeon X300 se? It has the new PCI Express x16 bus with 128MB, but I'm just concerned with the ATI thing and drivers. It's not listed in the approved graphics card on the SW site, but that list always seems to be behind the current list of cards or the drivers and/or cards are slow in review. Any thoughts? Keith Gaming card. If it isn't tested, it will be, by you o...

Graphics cards
Hi all, just had tentative agreement from my boss to build a new box for Solidworks (currently 2005 SP0.1), just wanted to get some opinions on suitable graphics cards. Can I get away with an ordinary high end gaming card (Geforce 6800 GT or Ultra maybe) or will I see significant gains from a Quadro thingy? N.B. needs to be available in the UK Many thanks in advance Keith Kerwin Development Engineer BSL Gas Technologies Ltd. http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/VideoCardTesting.html If you pick something not supported, support will have trouble helping you. Stay to something on the l...

graphics cards
hi all, can anyone draw parallels between the radeon/geforce cards and the available sun graphics cards please, as im not fully up on this side of the hardware. This just in general terms, no specifics required, heuristics are fine. cheers dave In article <wu9Rd.118526$B8.15662@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, dave frost <dj.frost@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: >hi all, > >can anyone draw parallels between the radeon/geforce cards and the >available sun graphics cards please, as im not fully up on this side of >the hardware. > Sun low end PCI cards (2D) are mostly ...

Graphic Card
Hi, Could anyone give me some hints to find the necessary package to install an Elite 3D graphic card on a SunBlade 1000 under Solaris 8 ? Because I found nothing at sunsolve.sun.com Thanks, TA TA wrote: > Hi, > > Could anyone give me some hints to find the necessary package to install an > Elite 3D graphic card on a SunBlade 1000 under Solaris 8 ? > > Because I found nothing at sunsolve.sun.com > > Thanks, > TA > > thomas@azalin:/platform$ apropos elite afb afb (7d) - Elite3D graphics accelerator driver thomas@azalin:/platfor...

What Graphics Card!
I need to replace my Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB. What AGP graphics card should I get for best games performance? (Waiting to play Gothic!) System is: Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz with 512 KB cache. 800 MHz FSB Motherboard: Intel 875P with dual channel DDR and Hyper threading RAM: 1GB DDR (increasing to 2GB) Win XP Pro Hoping to keep the system going for a few more years! Thus spake "Pinot Grigio" <someone@somewhere>, Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:47:40 +0100, Anno Domini: >I need to replace my Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB. > >What AGP graphics card should I get for best...

Graphics Cards
Hi, I'm building a new computer soon and wondered what graphics card people find best for Photoshop. I'm not interested in gaming - just image editing and office applications. I expect to be using an Athlon 64 CPU with 1GB of RAM. Don't know which mobo yet. Any suggestions or tips would be most welcome. TIA Derek "DiddyS" <DerekHat400@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:N9QWb.2$ul3.1@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > Hi, > > I'm building a new computer soon and wondered what graphics card people find > best for Photoshop. I'm not inte...

Intel Extreme Graphics i740 8M AGP Graphic Card
Check it out! here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4132757349 On offer! 5.oo ...