Setting up my printer

I have a bog standard XP HE SP1 desktop and need to print at a
distance of around ten metres. I have an Epson 2100 printer that takes
firewire, usb or parallell input. I need to network it via my hub that
has three spare wired connections available. How do I do it and what
else do I need to purchase to do it. Any help appreciated. Apologies
if I am asking in the wrong place.

Ian
0
Ian
3/29/2008 11:47:19 AM
comp.hardware.networking 1122 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:47:19 +0000, Ian Pollard <easthorton@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>I have a bog standard XP HE SP1 desktop and need to print at a
>distance of around ten metres. I have an Epson 2100 printer that takes
>firewire, usb or parallell input. I need to network it via my hub that
>has three spare wired connections available. How do I do it and what
>else do I need to purchase to do it. Any help appreciated. Apologies
>if I am asking in the wrong place.
>
>Ian

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx

You connect this to your ethernet hub/switch/router, plug it into your
printer's Centronix connector, load the print manager application, et voila:
your printer is now shareable across your LAN.

btw, you sure about that model number? There's no model with "2100" listed on
the Epson web site. No matter, as long as it has a Centronix parallel port
connector, the Netgear print server will work...

/daytripper
0
daytripper
3/29/2008 5:33:07 PM
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:33:07 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx
>
>You connect this to your ethernet hub/switch/router, plug it into your
>printer's Centronix connector, load the print manager application, et voila:
>your printer is now shareable across your LAN.
>
>btw, you sure about that model number? There's no model with "2100" listed on
>the Epson web site. No matter, as long as it has a Centronix parallel port
>connector, the Netgear print server will work...
>
>/daytripper

Hi
	Yes, it isdefinitely a 2100. The full title is, Epson Stylus
Photo 2100. It is a pigment ink job and handles A3+ sizes. Yes, it has
a parallell Centronix connector on the back as well as Firewire and
USB. Thanks for the help.

Ian
0
Ian
3/30/2008 4:25:04 PM
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:25:04 +0100, Ian Pollard
<easthorton@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>	Yes, it isdefinitely a 2100. The full title is, Epson Stylus
>Photo 2100. It is a pigment ink job and handles A3+ sizes. Yes, it has
>a parallell Centronix connector on the back as well as Firewire and
>USB. Thanks for the help.
>
>Ian
 Hi
	Just for info:
http://www.epson.co.uk/products/inkjet_printers/Stylus_Photo_2100.htm

Ian
0
Ian
3/30/2008 4:29:43 PM
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:25:04 +0100, Ian Pollard <easthorton@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:33:07 -0500, daytripper
><day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx
>>
>>You connect this to your ethernet hub/switch/router, plug it into your
>>printer's Centronix connector, load the print manager application, et voila:
>>your printer is now shareable across your LAN.
>>
>>btw, you sure about that model number? There's no model with "2100" listed on
>>the Epson web site. No matter, as long as it has a Centronix parallel port
>>connector, the Netgear print server will work...
>>
>>/daytripper
>
>Hi
>	Yes, it isdefinitely a 2100. The full title is, Epson Stylus
>Photo 2100. It is a pigment ink job and handles A3+ sizes. Yes, it has
>a parallell Centronix connector on the back as well as Firewire and
>USB. Thanks for the help.
>
>Ian

Ah - ok, I didn't realize Epson had some models that were UK-specific (or
rather, perhaps, non-North America). That model isn't listed for NA, and the
"hole" is bracketed by the Epson Stylus Photo 2000 and 2200. But I see it is
shown in the UK archives...

Cheers

/daytripper
0
daytripper
3/30/2008 7:08:49 PM
On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:33:07 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS101.aspx
>
>You connect this to your ethernet hub/switch/router, plug it into your
>printer's Centronix connector, load the print manager application, et voila:
>your printer is now shareable across your LAN.
>
>btw, you sure about that model number? There's no model with "2100" listed on
>the Epson web site. No matter, as long as it has a Centronix parallel port
>connector, the Netgear print server will work...
>
>/daytripper

Hi
	Sorry to be back again, I am now unsure if this product will
work with my printer. I have been in touch with Epson and am waiting
for a reply from Netgear. They all seem a little concerned that my
printer has compatibility problems but I don't know why as it has all
three optional interfaces, USB, Firewire and parallell!

Ian
0
Ian
3/31/2008 11:43:43 AM
Ian Pollard wrote:
> Hi
> 	Sorry to be back again, I am now unsure if this product will
> work with my printer. I have been in touch with Epson and am waiting
> for a reply from Netgear. They all seem a little concerned that my
> printer has compatibility problems but I don't know why as it has all
> three optional interfaces, USB, Firewire and parallell!

What compatibility problems are you having? Why is it a problem that it
has all three connection interfaces? If anything that will eliminate
most of its compatibility problems, as there are plenty of options to
choose from.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
3/31/2008 11:40:56 PM
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:40:56 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What compatibility problems are you having? Why is it a problem that it
>has all three connection interfaces? If anything that will eliminate
>most of its compatibility problems, as there are plenty of options to
>choose from.
>
>	Yousuf Khan

I would have thought likewise but none of the support departments such
as Netgear will guarantee any sort of operation. They do notseem to
have any  faith in their own products so if they don't believe it will
work, who am I to argue with them.! The type of response that I am
receiving is as follows:	Quote"

  We appreciate your continuous patience and understanding. This is to
acknowledge that our team has received your e-mail query however
additional time is necessary to effectively process your request. One
of our support engineers will get back with you very shortly. Thank
you for choosing NETGEAR.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Team
NETGEAR, Inc. "Unquote

Their latest offering is:
Thank you for writing back,

Epson Stylus 2100 is not tested in our test lab and it may or may not
work with PS101.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Not a lot of help, is it?

Ian
0
Ian
4/1/2008 7:33:29 PM
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:33:29 +0100, Ian Pollard <easthorton@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:40:56 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>>What compatibility problems are you having? Why is it a problem that it
>>has all three connection interfaces? If anything that will eliminate
>>most of its compatibility problems, as there are plenty of options to
>>choose from.
>>
>>	Yousuf Khan
>
>I would have thought likewise but none of the support departments such
>as Netgear will guarantee any sort of operation. They do notseem to
>have any  faith in their own products so if they don't believe it will
>work, who am I to argue with them.! The type of response that I am
>receiving is as follows:	Quote"
>
>  We appreciate your continuous patience and understanding. This is to
>acknowledge that our team has received your e-mail query however
>additional time is necessary to effectively process your request. One
>of our support engineers will get back with you very shortly. Thank
>you for choosing NETGEAR.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Customer Support Team
>NETGEAR, Inc. "Unquote
>
>Their latest offering is:
>Thank you for writing back,
>
>Epson Stylus 2100 is not tested in our test lab and it may or may not
>work with PS101.
>
>Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!
>
>Not a lot of help, is it?
>
>Ian

This could simply be related to the fact that the 2100 was not offered for
sale in North America, and by comparison, the PS101 is a newer product. So
they may just not have had any opportunity to run compatibility tests, nor any
user feedback to go on.

But there shouldn't be anything left to "discover" about parallel ports and
Centronix connectors, the PS101 simply passes print driver instructions from
network to printer, and thus the odds are it will work just fine with your
printer. That said, if you manage to screw up the courage to give it a try,
just make sure you purchase it from a retailer that will accept returns...

/daytripper

0
daytripper
4/1/2008 9:04:42 PM
Ian Pollard wrote:
> I would have thought likewise but none of the support departments such
> as Netgear will guarantee any sort of operation. They do notseem to
> have any  faith in their own products so if they don't believe it will
> work, who am I to argue with them.! The type of response that I am
> receiving is as follows:	Quote"
>
> Customer Support Team
> NETGEAR, Inc. "Unquote
>
> Their latest offering is:
> Thank you for writing back,
>
> Epson Stylus 2100 is not tested in our test lab and it may or may not
> work with PS101.
>
> Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!
>
> Not a lot of help, is it?
>
> Ian

Have you actually tried it? That answer from Netgear is just simply
standard boiler-plate legalese. Since you did not actually present them
with a real problem that requires troubleshooting, they won't get into
any solving a problem that doesn't yet exist; so they sent you a
standard answer.

Don't expect this to be like an enterprise service contract, where a
vendor gives you guarantees of service, and you pay them for it. In a
home environment, you just try it yourself, and if it doesn't work try a
little troubleshooting on the phone, and then return it to the store if
it still doesn't work after that. Your service contract is your store
receipt.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
4/4/2008 5:26:04 AM
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:04:42 -0500, daytripper
<day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>But there shouldn't be anything left to "discover" about parallel ports and
>Centronix connectors, the PS101 simply passes print driver instructions from
>network to printer, and thus the odds are it will work just fine with your
>printer. That said, if you manage to screw up the courage to give it a try,
>just make sure you purchase it from a retailer that will accept returns...
>
>/daytripper

NETGEAR Print Server Compatibility List (PS101v1 and PS101v2):
 http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101216.asp

FWIW, a "Canon LBP-1210" printer is listed as not compatible.

- Franc Zabkar
Franc
4/5/2008 12:14:04 AM
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:14:04 +1000, Franc Zabkar <fzabkar@iinternode.on.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:04:42 -0500, daytripper
><day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>
>>But there shouldn't be anything left to "discover" about parallel ports and
>>Centronix connectors, the PS101 simply passes print driver instructions from
>>network to printer, and thus the odds are it will work just fine with your
>>printer. That said, if you manage to screw up the courage to give it a try,
>>just make sure you purchase it from a retailer that will accept returns...
>>
>>/daytripper
>
>NETGEAR Print Server Compatibility List (PS101v1 and PS101v2):
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101216.asp
>
>FWIW, a "Canon LBP-1210" printer is listed as not compatible.

And, remarkably, that is the *only* printer among the *hundreds* listed that
is so designated.

If anything, that should encourage those with even a modicum of bravery (and
the intelligence to purchase from an outlet with reasonable return policies)
to give the PS101 a try...

/daytripper
0
daytripper
4/5/2008 1:10:05 AM
On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:26:04 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Have you actually tried it? That answer from Netgear is just simply
>standard boiler-plate legalese. Since you did not actually present them
>with a real problem that requires troubleshooting, they won't get into
>any solving a problem that doesn't yet exist; so they sent you a
>standard answer.
>
>Don't expect this to be like an enterprise service contract, where a
>vendor gives you guarantees of service, and you pay them for it. In a
>home environment, you just try it yourself, and if it doesn't work try a
>little troubleshooting on the phone, and then return it to the store if
>it still doesn't work after that. Your service contract is your store
>receipt.
>
>	Yousuf Khan

Yousuf
	That makes a lot of sense, I think I will give it a blast.
Aftewr all, if I purchase from a decent outlet using my credit card, I
should be able to return it If there are any problems, I would be
covered under the UK consumer credit act. Thank You for your help. It
is good to be able to bounce these things around.

Ian
0
Ian
4/5/2008 8:35:53 AM
wrote:

>Have you actually tried it? That answer from Netgear is just simply
>standard boiler-plate legalese. Since you did not actually present them
>with a real problem that requires troubleshooting, they won't get into
>any solving a problem that doesn't yet exist; so they sent you a
>standard answer.
>
>Don't expect this to be like an enterprise service contract, where a
>vendor gives you guarantees of service, and you pay them for it. In a
>home environment, you just try it yourself, and if it doesn't work try a
>little troubleshooting on the phone, and then return it to the store if
>it still doesn't work after that. Your service contract is your store
>receipt.
>
>	Yousuf Khan

Hi Yousuf
	Since I last wrote on this subject, I have decided to go for a
tried and tested Edimax print server that has been tested with both
USB and parallell interfaces. They both work OK!

Thanks again for all the input.

Ian
0
Ian
4/5/2008 9:09:03 AM
On Apr 5, 4:35 am, Ian Pollard <easthor...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>         That makes a lot of sense, I think I will give it a blast.
> Aftewr all, if I purchase from a decent outlet using my credit card, I
> should be able to return it If there are any problems, I would be
> covered under the UK consumer credit act. Thank You for your help. It
> is good to be able to bounce these things around.

I don't know about the UK, but here in North America, even if you paid
by cash, you should still be able to return the device, so long as you
have the receipt. You don't only have this protection with credit
cards.

  Yousuf Khan
0
YKhan
4/6/2008 7:03:10 AM
On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 00:03:10 -0700 (PDT), YKhan <yjkhan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I don't know about the UK, but here in North America, even if you paid
>by cash, you should still be able to return the device, so long as you
>have the receipt. You don't only have this protection with credit
>cards.
>
>  Yousuf Khan

Yousuf
You have similar cover here, main difference is if the vendor gets
difficult, the card company have to follow it up by law under the
consumer credit act. The one thing that makes a difference with trhis
server is that the compatibility list contains a yes for my specific
model of printer in both parallell and USB interface modes.

Ian
0
Ian