Turning a crossover cable into a straight through cable

	I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.
0
Larry
2/14/2005 9:10:31 PM
comp.hardware.networking 1122 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Larry Roberts wrote:
> 	I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.

Yep.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
2/14/2005 11:13:15 PM
Larry Roberts wrote:
> 	I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.

It should work. Though with such long cabling, and the extra junctioning
in between, there's no guarantee about signal integrity.

	Yousuf Khan
0
Yousuf
2/15/2005 3:47:50 AM
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Larry Roberts wrote:
>
>>     I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
>> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
>> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
>> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
>> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.
>

> It should work. Though with such long cabling, and the extra junctioning
> in between, there's no guarantee about signal integrity.
>
>     Yousuf Khan

100 feet is well within spec.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
2/15/2005 4:09:17 AM
> >>     I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
> >> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
> >> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
> >> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
> >> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.
> >
> > It should work. Though with such long cabling, and the extra junctioning
> > in between, there's no guarantee about signal integrity.
>
> 100 feet is well within spec.

I think its 100m max?

Ben

0
bensmyth
2/15/2005 10:41:05 AM
> I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.

You could always cut the cable and crimp a new connector on the end?

(although you'd need tools to do this!)

Regards,

Ben

0
bensmyth
2/15/2005 10:41:49 AM
bensmyth wrote:

>>>It should work. Though with such long cabling, and the extra junctioning
>>>in between, there's no guarantee about signal integrity.
>>
>>100 feet is well within spec.
>

> I think its 100m max?
>

> Ben

Yep.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
0
CJT
2/15/2005 11:02:30 PM
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:41:49 -0000, "bensmyth" <noreply@test.com>
wrote:

>> I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
>> straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
>> and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
>> straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
>> and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.
>
>You could always cut the cable and crimp a new connector on the end?
>
>(although you'd need tools to do this!)
>

>Regards,
>
>Ben

	Yeah, but I don't have those tools, and I'm not sure how to do
it. The last time I called around town at the local PC shops, and
asked how much they'd charge to do it for me, they quoted me the
minimum rate (almost $30.00 an hour) to do it. I think the junction,
and 3ft crossover extension will do fine.
0
Larry
2/17/2005 3:42:02 PM
Larry Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:41:49 -0000, "bensmyth" <noreply@test.com>
> wrote:
>

>>>I have a 100ft crossover cable that I want to tun into a
>>>straight through cable. Could I just buy another 3ft crossover cable,
>>>and a connection adaptor to hook them together to turn it into a
>>>straight through? I once did this using a 50ft straight through cable,
>>>and a 3ft crossover cable to turn it into a crossover.
>>
>>You could always cut the cable and crimp a new connector on the end?
>>
>>(although you'd need tools to do this!)
>>

>>Regards,
>>
>>Ben
>>

> 	Yeah, but I don't have those tools, and I'm not sure how to do
> it. The last time I called around town at the local PC shops, and
> asked how much they'd charge to do it for me, they quoted me the
> minimum rate (almost $30.00 an hour) to do it.

That might have been ok if they'd been honest and only charged you
the (under) 3 minutes it would take somebody with the right tools
to do the job.  <g>

I think the junction,
> and 3ft crossover extension will do fine.

So do I.