Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?

I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB
Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the
printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer
status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same
printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a
direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected
directly to my desktop and print from my laptop.

Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass
data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the
printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop?

Thanks for any suggestions!
-mike-

0
johndoe_rider
6/26/2005 3:29:07 AM
comp.hardware.networking 1122 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Anybody? Thanks!

johndoe_rider@yahoo.com wrote:
> I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB
> Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the
> printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer
> status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same
> printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a
> direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected
> directly to my desktop and print from my laptop.
>
> Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass
> data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the
> printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> -mike-

0
johndoe_rider
6/27/2005 4:11:53 PM
On 25 Jun 2005 20:29:07 -0700, johndoe_rider@yahoo.com wrote:

>Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass
>data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the
>printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop?

In the perfect world that would happend.

This happends all the time as vendors only make things work but not
work nicely.

To have a high degree of confidence that all the features are
maintaned, purchasing a plug-in product from the same printer vendor
is your best bet.  If Canon sell their own wireless hookup.

0
bobb