driver problem or hardware problem?

im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
board?

i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
is it xp?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks
0
ruhockey12
6/15/2004 3:09:35 AM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

ruhockey12@aol.com (Neil) wrote in message news:<f11c0b98.0406141909.1cc0a0cc@posting.google.com>...
> im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
> possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
> board?
>
> i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
> they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
> with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
> error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
> have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
> still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
> is it xp?
>
> any info would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Have you updated to the most recent video drivers?  Out of date video
drivers will often cause games to crash.
0
ddonlee25
6/15/2004 3:22:36 PM
ruhockey12@aol.com (Neil) wrote in message news:<f11c0b98.0406141909.1cc0a0cc@posting.google.com>...
> im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
> possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
> board?
>
> i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
> they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
> with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
> error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
> have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
> still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
> is it xp?
>
> any info would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Run Windows Update, and do a virus and spyware scan.

Aaron
0
aaron
6/15/2004 4:11:15 PM
You might want to list the SPECIFIC video card, CPU, motherboard, and power
supply models you are using.  You have NOT included enough information to
make any intelligent guesses as to what's wrong.

--
DaveW

"Neil" <ruhockey12@aol.com> wrote in message
> im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
> possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
> board?
>
> i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
> they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
> with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
> error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
> have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
> still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
> is it xp?
>
> any info would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

0
DaveW
6/15/2004 11:15:07 PM
"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<%pLzc.27881$Hg2.10746@attbi_s04>...
> You might want to list the SPECIFIC video card, CPU, motherboard, and power
> supply models you are using.  You have NOT included enough information to
> make any intelligent guesses as to what's wrong.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Neil" <ruhockey12@aol.com> wrote in message
> > im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
> > possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
> > board?
> >
> > i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
> > they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
> > with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
> > error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
> > have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
> > still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
> > is it xp?
> >
> > any info would be appreciated.
> >
> > thanks

yeah, the drivers for ATi and nVidia cards have both been a little
wonky lately, Nvidia much more so though.
0
w_howling
6/16/2004 8:06:07 PM
More likely than not your problem comes from your video card not being
OpenGL compliant or not supporting the latest OpenGL standards. Just
because your video card is compatible with Win XP does not mean it
will be compatible with 3D FPS games.  These games often require video
card that support the latest OpenGL standards and have sufficient
video RAM on-board. You will probably need a video card with at the
very least 32MB of RAM. Your PC should also have no less than 256 MB
of RAM.

ruhockey12@aol.com (Neil) wrote in message news:<f11c0b98.0406141909.1cc0a0cc@posting.google.com>...
> im a gamer who has some issues with xp. i was just curious, is it
> possible that xp could have some configuration problem with a mother
> board?
>
> i have tried playing numerous games (fps) and everytime i play them
> they run for 1-5 minutes and then my pc either crashes back to windows
> with no error message or the whole computer reboots and i get an xp
> error message telling me that my drivers are not the proper ones. i
> have bought a new video card and sound card each compatible for xp and
> still get the same problem. any ideas. could it be the motherboard or
> is it xp?
>
> any info would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
0