Help: windows 2000 and joystick need help

Hello guys,

I have a SoudBlaster Live 5.1 correctly configured under windows 2000
professional service pack 3.
I have a analog joystick connected to the gameport of the sound card.
The joystick is a simple, generic, un-branded, 2 axis with 2 buttons.

I open the control panel, joystick and I choose 2 axis - 2 buttons
joystick.
Windows asks me the driver for this input device.
Strange that windows ME doesn't ask for the driver: it accepts the
periferal and all works.
With the joystick there wasn't a disk with the driver... so.. my
problem is..
which driver I have to give to windows 2000 ?
Why windows ME works and 2000 not ?

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards
Giovanni

P.S. If you can reply also to my mail adress. Thank you
0
fassinagio
10/8/2003 8:49:36 PM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

"Giovanni" <fassinagio@interfree.it> wrote in message
> Hello guys,
>
> I have a SoudBlaster Live 5.1 correctly configured under windows 2000
> professional service pack 3.
> I have a analog joystick connected to the gameport of the sound card.
> The joystick is a simple, generic, un-branded, 2 axis with 2 buttons.
>
> I open the control panel, joystick and I choose 2 axis - 2 buttons
> joystick.
> Windows asks me the driver for this input device.
> Strange that windows ME doesn't ask for the driver: it accepts the
> periferal and all works.
> With the joystick there wasn't a disk with the driver... so.. my
> problem is..
> which driver I have to give to windows 2000 ?
> Why windows ME works and 2000 not ?

    That's not surprising at all, in fact, it's to be expected. W2K, like
all NT based OSs does not allow direct access to hardware. A serial port
game port requires a serial miniport driver specifically written for W2K,
otherwise the hardware won't get past the HAL (hardware Abstraction Layer).
    The answer to your question is: if a driver is available for W2K, use
it. Otherwise, the hardware isn't W2K compatible, get a new joystick.The
driver catalog is huge enough in W2K that there really is no need to add the
presence of an inefficient serial joystick driver.

> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Best regards
> Giovanni
>
> P.S. If you can reply also to my mail adress. Thank you

0
SaltPeter
10/9/2003 4:36:05 AM
"SaltPeter" <SaltPeter@Jupiter.sys> wrote in message news:<_x5hb.12124$oO4.847319@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "Giovanni" <fassinagio@interfree.it> wrote in message
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I have a SoudBlaster Live 5.1 correctly configured under windows 2000
> > professional service pack 3.
> > I have a analog joystick connected to the gameport of the sound card.
> > The joystick is a simple, generic, un-branded, 2 axis with 2 buttons.
> >
> > I open the control panel, joystick and I choose 2 axis - 2 buttons
> > joystick.
> > Windows asks me the driver for this input device.
> > Strange that windows ME doesn't ask for the driver: it accepts the
> > periferal and all works.
> > With the joystick there wasn't a disk with the driver... so.. my
> > problem is..
> > which driver I have to give to windows 2000 ?
> > Why windows ME works and 2000 not ?
>
>     That's not surprising at all, in fact, it's to be expected. W2K, like
> all NT based OSs does not allow direct access to hardware. A serial port
> game port requires a serial miniport driver specifically written for W2K,
> otherwise the hardware won't get past the HAL (hardware Abstraction Layer).
>     The answer to your question is: if a driver is available for W2K, use
> it. Otherwise, the hardware isn't W2K compatible, get a new joystick.The
> driver catalog is huge enough in W2K that there really is no need to add the
> presence of an inefficient serial joystick driver.
>

> > Thank you very much for your help
> >
> > Best regards
> > Giovanni
> >
> > P.S. If you can reply also to my mail adress. Thank you

Thats a very strange problem tried it out for myself.  I have a
SoundBlaster Audigy, running win2k service pack 4.  I dragged out a no
name analog joystick and plugged it in the game port.  Went to control
panel, selected gaming options
, hit add..., double clicked 2 axis and 2 button, returned me to the
controllers tab with a status of OK, I calibrated the joystick and
played a flight sim.  Perhaps it's the service pack 4 or creative also
install's a game port driver do you have that?  It's listed in the
device manager under sound,video, game controllers.  Just a thought.
0
none1101
10/11/2003 6:40:40 AM
Is the "Human Interface Device Access" Service set to "Automatic" under
services?
if not set it to start automatically (RTFWHF) Read The Freaking Windows Help
File

"Giovanni" <fassinagio@interfree.it> wrote in message
> Hello guys,
>
> I have a SoudBlaster Live 5.1 correctly configured under windows 2000
> professional service pack 3.
> I have a analog joystick connected to the gameport of the sound card.
> The joystick is a simple, generic, un-branded, 2 axis with 2 buttons.
>
> I open the control panel, joystick and I choose 2 axis - 2 buttons
> joystick.
> Windows asks me the driver for this input device.
> Strange that windows ME doesn't ask for the driver: it accepts the
> periferal and all works.
> With the joystick there wasn't a disk with the driver... so.. my
> problem is..
> which driver I have to give to windows 2000 ?
> Why windows ME works and 2000 not ?
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Best regards
> Giovanni
>
> P.S. If you can reply also to my mail adress. Thank you

0
Shaun