Installing a second floppy drive

Hi there everyone. On my computer case there are 4 CDROM shaped slots
and two floppy shaped slots, so if theres a slot, may as well fill it!
How would I go about installing a second floppy drive? I noticed the
flat cable thing doesn't have a second plug like the CDROM cables
(incase not already noticed, I'm no hardware expert, more of a
software guy). So yeah, I don't believe there is another slot on the
motherboard for another cable either. So... Are there dual plug flat
cables for the floppy out there anywhere or am i going to have to
stick with my single floppy? BTW, incase you are horrified by my awful
terminology, what I mean by flat cable is the set of about 16 or so (I
have no idea how many) wires that are stuck together so it's a long
flat strip-cable. ;) Thanks all.
0
rpgjohn (2)
1/13/2004 3:35:08 AM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

You can buy a floppy cable with three connectors on it...one for the
motherboard, and the other two for two floppy drives...do that, and
you'll be all set
rpgjohn@hotmail.com (Falnar) wrote in message news:<2878784b.0401121935.33a120c@posting.google.com>...
> Hi there everyone. On my computer case there are 4 CDROM shaped slots
> and two floppy shaped slots, so if theres a slot, may as well fill it!
> How would I go about installing a second floppy drive? I noticed the
> flat cable thing doesn't have a second plug like the CDROM cables
> (incase not already noticed, I'm no hardware expert, more of a
> software guy). So yeah, I don't believe there is another slot on the
> motherboard for another cable either. So... Are there dual plug flat
> cables for the floppy out there anywhere or am i going to have to
> stick with my single floppy? BTW, incase you are horrified by my awful
> terminology, what I mean by flat cable is the set of about 16 or so (I
> have no idea how many) wires that are stuck together so it's a long
> flat strip-cable. ;) Thanks all.
0
MJCfromCT
1/13/2004 6:08:41 AM
rpgjohn@hotmail.com (Falnar) wrote in message news:<2878784b.0401121935.33a120c@posting.google.com>...
> Hi there everyone. On my computer case there are 4 CDROM shaped slots
> and two floppy shaped slots, so if theres a slot, may as well fill it!
> How would I go about installing a second floppy drive? I noticed the
> flat cable thing doesn't have a second plug like the CDROM cables
> (incase not already noticed, I'm no hardware expert, more of a
> software guy). So yeah, I don't believe there is another slot on the
> motherboard for another cable either. So... Are there dual plug flat
> cables for the floppy out there anywhere or am i going to have to
> stick with my single floppy? BTW, incase you are horrified by my awful
> terminology, what I mean by flat cable is the set of about 16 or so (I
> have no idea how many) wires that are stuck together so it's a long
> flat strip-cable. ;) Thanks all.

The good news your terminology is not all that bad it could be much
worse like "the wire thing"???

The bad newsvis it seems that most new motherboards do not support
more than one floppy drive.  Your Motherboards manual would be a good
place to check first.

Might I suggest you get a new harddrive instead?  1.39MB is just not
much storage.
0
none1101
1/13/2004 6:59:09 AM
BTW, incase you are horrified by my awful
> terminology, what I mean by flat cable is the set of about 16 or so (I
> have no idea how many) wires that are stuck together so it's a long
> flat strip-cable. ;) Thanks all.

Flat cable is right.  ATA cable, or IDE cable is more specific and FDD
IDE cable verges on the pedantic.

I agree with jamotto, I wouldn't install a 2nd floppy if I had the
option.  I'd probably install a CD-RW (CD-RWs are pretty cheap now) or
get a USB minidrive if you need portable storage between home and
work, since most computers have USB now.

If your heart's set on a 2nd floppy, check your BIOS at boot.  Have a
look at the boot menu and see what the options are for booting from a
floppy.  Should be something like: "legacy FDD A:\" .  If you can
choose to boot from "legacy floppy B:\" as well, your board probably
supports 2 FDDs.

ratched
0
ratched_nomorespam
1/13/2004 1:57:11 PM
The BIOS, and floppy controller, will only support ONE floppy drive.

--
DaveW

"Falnar" <rpgjohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there everyone. On my computer case there are 4 CDROM shaped slots
> and two floppy shaped slots, so if theres a slot, may as well fill it!
> How would I go about installing a second floppy drive? I noticed the
> flat cable thing doesn't have a second plug like the CDROM cables
> (incase not already noticed, I'm no hardware expert, more of a
> software guy). So yeah, I don't believe there is another slot on the
> motherboard for another cable either. So... Are there dual plug flat
> cables for the floppy out there anywhere or am i going to have to
> stick with my single floppy? BTW, incase you are horrified by my awful
> terminology, what I mean by flat cable is the set of about 16 or so (I
> have no idea how many) wires that are stuck together so it's a long
> flat strip-cable. ;) Thanks all.

0
DaveW