Maxtor External 3000LS External Hard Drive Installation

Hello,

I have a problem that has popped up while I tried to install a Maxtor
external hard drive.  I cannot get my Windows 98SE to recognize the
new drive or I cannot find the hardware that has already been
installed by the system.  I am not sure which.

Background is as follows:  I purchased the hard drive for my computer
that is running 98SE, but the drive requires a special driver for this
operating system.  I made the mistake of plugging in the new drive to
my USB port before I had the necessary driver for the drive ready to
use during the installation.  The first time I plugged the drive into
the USB port, the system recognized that there was new hardware and
began the installation process.  However, when it came to finding the
best driver the system could not find one and I did not have the
driver needed yet.  Thus, I cancelled the installation.  Subsequently,
I downloaded the needed driver onto a floppy disk and proceeded to
replug the drive into my USB port.  However, I now cannot get the
system to recognize that there is new hardware to install.  I have
tried going into add/remove hardware and have the system look for new
hardware, but it will not find anything.  I have unplugged, plugged,
rebooted, shut down etc and no luck on getting the system to try and
reload the hard drive.

At this point, I am not sure if I have a problem of the system not
recognizing that I have a new external drive plugged into a USB port,
or if the drive is already on the system (thus, not new) and I just
have no idea where to find it and load the driver for it.  I have
looked under system devices and do not see anything in there that is
either not functioning properly, or that looks like an external hard
drive.

If anyone has an idea on how to get it recognized or where I can find
the already loaded drive, I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!
0
sam_dawna
2/5/2004 12:25:05 AM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 1 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

Go into the [Control Panel] [System] [Device Manager] and find the
device that is not working (should be highlighted). Delete/remove the
device and restart the PC. Windows should now recognise the new device
(assuming it's plugged in) and you can install the new driver.

Best regards
Peko.

sam_dawna@yahoo.com (Sam Hollenbeck) wrote in message news:<f71484c0.0402041625.482c3c8c@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has popped up while I tried to install a Maxtor
> external hard drive.  I cannot get my Windows 98SE to recognize the
> new drive or I cannot find the hardware that has already been
> installed by the system.  I am not sure which.
>
> Background is as follows:  I purchased the hard drive for my computer
> that is running 98SE, but the drive requires a special driver for this
> operating system.  I made the mistake of plugging in the new drive to
> my USB port before I had the necessary driver for the drive ready to
> use during the installation.  The first time I plugged the drive into
> the USB port, the system recognized that there was new hardware and
> began the installation process.  However, when it came to finding the
> best driver the system could not find one and I did not have the
> driver needed yet.  Thus, I cancelled the installation.  Subsequently,
> I downloaded the needed driver onto a floppy disk and proceeded to
> replug the drive into my USB port.  However, I now cannot get the
> system to recognize that there is new hardware to install.  I have
> tried going into add/remove hardware and have the system look for new
> hardware, but it will not find anything.  I have unplugged, plugged,
> rebooted, shut down etc and no luck on getting the system to try and
> reload the hard drive.
>
> At this point, I am not sure if I have a problem of the system not
> recognizing that I have a new external drive plugged into a USB port,
> or if the drive is already on the system (thus, not new) and I just
> have no idea where to find it and load the driver for it.  I have
> looked under system devices and do not see anything in there that is
> either not functioning properly, or that looks like an external hard
> drive.
>
> If anyone has an idea on how to get it recognized or where I can find
> the already loaded drive, I would greatly appreciate some advice.
>
> Thanks in advance!
0
rebootoz