Problem pc 100% cpu usage

Problem on my desk-top hp Pavilion ze 4300 - windows xp home:
  The processor works 100% , even if no program is running.
  The pc is warming and quickly becomes very slow and get blocked.
Fixing trials:  Norton 2004 did not work. MacAfee did not detect any virus.
        we installed windoxs xp pro (instead of xp home) and nothing changed.
Can you help me ?
0
flodumas2
1/25/2004 8:26:27 PM
comp.hardware 3772 articles. 0 followers. zainskhan (15) is leader. Post Follow

flodumas2@wanadoo.fr (billy) wrote in message news:<b4d6bba6.0401251226.1612441d@posting.google.com>...
> Problem on my desk-top hp Pavilion ze 4300 - windows xp home:
>   The processor works 100% , even if no program is running.
>   The pc is warming and quickly becomes very slow and get blocked.
> Fixing trials:  Norton 2004 did not work. MacAfee did not detect any virus.
>         we installed windoxs xp pro (instead of xp home) and nothing changed.
> Can you help me ?

Are you sure no program is running?  Have you tried running the
"Windows Task Manager"?

In Windows 2000 you just press ALT-CTL-DEL a dialog box comes up and
select Task Manager.  Now it should have three tabs called:
Applications, Processes. Performance.  Select the "Processes" tab.
This should give you a list of files that end in ".exe" Look at the
"CPU" to track down which program is useing 100% of the CPU time if it
is not "System Idle Process" then this is the program that is slowing
down the computer.

You might wish to find the exe file first and find out what program it
is before you terminate the process by clicking the exe file and
selecting "End Process"

Hope this helps
0
none1101
1/26/2004 4:37:41 AM
"billy" <flodumas2@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Problem on my desk-top hp Pavilion ze 4300 - windows xp home:
>   The processor works 100% , even if no program is running.
>   The pc is warming and quickly becomes very slow and get blocked.
> Fixing trials:  Norton 2004 did not work. MacAfee did not detect any
virus.
>         we installed windoxs xp pro (instead of xp home) and nothing
changed.
> Can you help me ?

check for spyware with ad-aware (www.lavasoft.de)

0
Schildkr
1/26/2004 9:41:41 AM
flodumas2@wanadoo.fr (billy) wrote in message news:<b4d6bba6.0401251226.1612441d@posting.google.com>...
> Problem on my desk-top hp Pavilion ze 4300 - windows xp home:
>   The processor works 100% , even if no program is running.
>   The pc is warming and quickly becomes very slow and get blocked.
> Fixing trials:  Norton 2004 did not work. MacAfee did not detect any virus.
>         we installed windoxs xp pro (instead of xp home) and nothing changed.
> Can you help me ?

Bring up the task manager and list top processes by memory.

Look see if you've got helpsvc, stop it if you have, and bingo all is
OK.

There are loads of messages about this, but no cure that worked for me
so I disabled helpsvc in control panal-> admin -> Services

zzapper (vim & cygwin & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s/^/WhfgTNabgureRIvzSUnpxre/|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips
0
david